I am not feeling it

Here you can discuss any Buffett related topic.

Moderator: SMLCHNG

jbfins
I gotta go where it's warm
Number of Concerts: 0

I am not feeling it

Post by jbfins »

The lack of a new tour name is bothering me. Considering that I have only been to 1 show in the past 13 years, I know how strange that must sound. I cannot explain it. Maybe it was seeing something about how CILCIA is turning 40. Or seeing JB in that add in the ugliest shirt ever. Suddenly, all of this seems really old to me. And I have never felt that way before.
Don't get me wrong. I am not complaining, and I am still a diehard Parrothead. So diehard in fact that I have not even watched that movie they did about us because I am afraid they got something wrong.
I am also grateful that he still is out there, alive and well and doing his thing. I know I will see the musical, if it ever actually makes it to Broadway. But something just seems off to me with the Spring and Summer Tour having the same name as last years. I mean it is bad enough that most shows have the same set list (despite JB saying the band can play 50+ songs at any time), but the same tour name? Even to advertise it. It just does not make any sense to me and is bringing me down.
Sorry to lament.
"Some people never find it..."
Bwana Paul
License to Chill
Number of Concerts: 200

Re: I am not feeling it

Post by Bwana Paul »

I keep thinking at some point, something will change and Jimmy will go into another era where what was old will come back.
Bucarader
If we weren't all crazy ...
Favorite Buffett Song: Tin Cup Chalice
Number of Concerts: 18
Favorite Boat Drink: Mojito

Post by Bucarader »

What makes it work for me is that my daughter loves to go to the shows. So I still love it too.
Don't try to describe the ocean if you've never seen it.
goreds2
Nibblin' on sponge cake
Favorite Buffett Song: Havana Day Dreamin'
Number of Concerts: 40
Favorite Boat Drink: Beer then shot of Mango Rum

Post by goreds2 »

jbfins wrote: I mean it is bad enough that most shows have the same set list (despite JB saying the band can play 50+ songs at any time),
Sorry to lament.

Don't most bands have the same set list each tour? Maybe because all of Jimmy's concerts are live online (which is awesome!) people have discovered this about Jimmy's shows?
I was there when the term "Parrot Head" was coined in 1985 at the Timberwolf Amphitheater in Cincinnati, Ohio.

I was Buffett when Buffett wasn't cool.
Bucarader

Post by Bucarader »

:)
goreds2 wrote:
jbfins wrote: I mean it is bad enough that most shows have the same set list (despite JB saying the band can play 50+ songs at any time),
Sorry to lament.

Don't most bands have the same set list each tour? Maybe because all of Jimmy's concerts are live online (which is awesome!) people have discovered this about Jimmy's shows?
Part of the thing that makes Buffett so awesome is that he "allows" his shows to be so easily bootlegged with really good quality. I know each year I cannot wait to come home and download the show, both audio and video. What a great momento to have? Someday very soon he will no longer tour, and we will be thankful we have all those bootlegs of his shows. (And we will all have to keep Sunlover and coasterghost on our holiday card list!)
ParrotHead67
I have found me a home
Favorite Buffett Song: Who's The Blonde Stranger
Number of Concerts: 9
Favorite Boat Drink: Haven't had a bad one yet
Location: Woke up dry beneath the African sky, just me and my Swiss Army Knife

Post by ParrotHead67 »

jbfins wrote:The lack of a new tour name is bothering me. Considering that I have only been to 1 show in the past 13 years, I know how strange that must sound. I cannot explain it. Maybe it was seeing something about how CILCIA is turning 40. Or seeing JB in that add in the ugliest shirt ever. Suddenly, all of this seems really old to me. And I have never felt that way before.
Don't get me wrong. I am not complaining, and I am still a diehard Parrothead. So diehard in fact that I have not even watched that movie they did about us because I am afraid they got something wrong.
I am also grateful that he still is out there, alive and well and doing his thing. I know I will see the musical, if it ever actually makes it to Broadway. But something just seems off to me with the Spring and Summer Tour having the same name as last years. I mean it is bad enough that most shows have the same set list (despite JB saying the band can play 50+ songs at any time), but the same tour name? Even to advertise it. It just does not make any sense to me and is bringing me down.
Sorry to lament.

You say you're not complaining but sorry it actually does sound like you're complaining. If you don't like the same setlists, it's an easy solution. Stop watching on MargaritavilleTV and listening on Radio Margaritaville. Look at the bright side, you don't go to concerts anymore so you're not out any money by Jimmy playing the same songs and not meeting your standards with a tour name. I guess we're all different. I love every minute of every show I see whether it's live or on the internet. Not sure what more we can expect from a 70 year old billionaire businessman who tours for fun. Not sure there are many that would still give us 20+ concerts per year.
"I gotta go where it's warm!"
aeroparrot
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: Manana
Number of Concerts: 56

Post by aeroparrot »

It's the "I just took over the Westin's location near Mallory Square and I need to pay for it" tour. :lol: :lol:
If you want an experience, go to a Jimmy Buffett concert.

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Life is short, live long!!

I'd rather be a wiseass than a dumbass.

lime rickie
God's Own Drunk
Favorite Buffett Song: Bama Breeze
Number of Concerts: 11
Favorite Boat Drink: lime rickey

Post by lime rickie »

aeroparrot wrote:It's the "I just took over the Westin's location near Mallory Square and I need to pay for it" tour. :lol: :lol:
:lol:
You only have two options - havin' fun or freakin' out...

C4Parrothead
I need two more boat drinks
Favorite Buffett Song: Pirate Looks at 40 / Someday I will / Little Miss Magic / DelaneyTalks
Number of Concerts: 36
Favorite Boat Drink: Tito’s

Post by C4Parrothead »

Simple Solutions here:

-Don't Go
-Don't Listen
-If you don't care...Then Don't Care!

Pretty simple stuff here.

Do everyone a favor though, for those of us who realize we are playing with house money with Our Guy - Don't Complain.

Saltiness is a bitter taste, one that should enjoyed alone.
Someday I will.

Latest Tour Stops:
-Dublin, Ireland 9.21.19 - SOASOAS (33)
-Red Rocks 9.9.21 - Slack Tide (34)
-Raleigh 4.23.22 - Life on the Flip Side (35)
-Charlotte 4.30.22 - Life on the Flip Side (36)
FinsUp6835
I Love the Now!
Favorite Buffett Song: LivingstonsGone2TX MeetMeinMemphis Winoandiknow CowboyIntheJungle
Number of Concerts: 50
Favorite Boat Drink: Ice Cold Loaded Landshark

Post by FinsUp6835 »

C4Parrothead wrote:Simple Solutions here:

-Don't Go
-Don't Listen
-If you don't care...Then Don't Care!

Pretty simple stuff here.

Do everyone a favor though, for those of us who realize we are playing with house money with Our Guy - Don't Complain.

Saltiness is a bitter taste, one that should enjoyed alone.

I don't think Willie Nelson has ever changed his setlist once....
"Tragedies very often become comedies, and they better become comedies real fast or else you're in a lot of trouble..." - Jimmy, 1978.
jbfins
I gotta go where it's warm

Post by jbfins »

The responses are kind of funny. You assume I listen to the concerts, watch RM TV or care about bootlegs. I don't. How many different versions of the same songs do you really need to listen to?
But the point of my post was that yes, I think it is lame to have the same tour name. Personally, every year I get a little bit excited and think maybe this year I will go to a show. For example, when he said he would do one album per night. Well, that was really cool and sparked my interest. Sending me the signal that this year's tour could be a cut and paste just bums me out. And in March I have never felt that way.
Guess I thought that others might understand.
"Some people never find it..."
C4Parrothead
Favorite Buffett Song: Pirate Looks at 40 / Someday I will / Little Miss Magic / DelaneyTalks

Post by C4Parrothead »

jbfins wrote:The responses are kind of funny. You assume I listen to the concerts, watch RM TV or care about bootlegs. I don't. How many different versions of the same songs do you really need to listen to?
But the point of my post was that yes, I think it is lame to have the same tour name. Personally, every year I get a little bit excited and think maybe this year I will go to a show. For example, when he said he would do one album per night. Well, that was really cool and sparked my interest. Sending me the signal that this year's tour could be a cut and paste just bums me out. And in March I have never felt that way.
Believe you thought wrong, here.

Won't speak for everyone, but I know I just look forward to another opportunity to see a JB show, experience a tailgate, and sing as loud & as long as my man will strum it. A New Tour name...just gives me another reason to buy a $30 t-shirt (which I gladly do) & proudly have 29 of - soon to be 30,31.

Don't believe in any of these shows I have seen the same concert twice, and I have seen multiple in the same tour. Always a different story, a different feel, but always the same dude & certainly always worth it.

To wrap this up...you don't like the noise, simply change the channel. But allow those of us who still do, to enjoy.
Someday I will.

Latest Tour Stops:
Bucarader

Post by Bucarader »

C4Parrothead wrote:
jbfins wrote:The responses are kind of funny. You assume I listen to the concerts, watch RM TV or care about bootlegs. I don't. How many different versions of the same songs do you really need to listen to?

Won't speak for everyone, but I know I just look forward to another opportunity to see a JB show, experience a tailgate, and sing as loud & as long as my man will strum it. A New Tour name...just gives me another reason to buy a $30 t-shirt (which I gladly do) & proudly have 29 of - soon to be 30,31.

Don't believe in any of these shows I have seen the same concert twice, and I have seen multiple in the same tour. Always a different story, a different feel, but always the same dude & certainly always worth it.

To wrap this up...you don't like the noise, simply change the channel. But allow those of us who still do, to enjoy.
Very well said! I never thought twenty years ago that I would still be going to see Jimmy at the same venue, stay at the same hotel, and eat at the same restraurant. I can't believe we still get to do this, and I'm damn glad to do it as long as he plays for us.

My biggest worry is not being able to download the audio and video of the show each year. And it is awesome that he allows us to do that. Good problems to have, right?

Jimmy, if you read this, keep it up! Don't change a damn thing. And I don't care what you call the tour.
ASaltyPieceOfLand
Southeast of disorder
Favorite Buffett Song: Brahma Fear
Number of Concerts: 26

Post by ASaltyPieceOfLand »

C4Parrothead wrote:

Well it's not like he's making anyone not allowed to enjoy seeing and listening to JB.

Sometimes people just want to express something. Sounds like jbfins is just disappointed with some aspects and is not a fanboy about everything Jimmy does like some people are. Maybe he could've expressed it better but his point is well taken: I've felt similar at times. Do I really need to hear Cheeseburger and Margaritaville live again? No. But there have been times when I've figured out that while JB's playing those songs I'm not really listening or watching him, I'm watching the audience.

That's one way to have a different view on it.

The tour name... who knows. Maybe Jimmy likes it. Maybe he doesn't really care. It is odd that he didn't change it - a first, as far as I recall. Perhaps he's too busy chiming in on the Margaritaville towns he's now a part of building. Good grief, the Jimmy of young would let this Jimmy of old that he's now a condo commando.

It's too bad JB didn't stick to the album every night deal. He skipped one, did one twice and then gave up with 11 shows to go.
Salt air it ain't thin...
rumdrinks
Half-baked cookies in the oven
Favorite Buffett Song: How can you pick just one ?
Number of Concerts: 30
Favorite Boat Drink: all of them

Post by rumdrinks »

To be honest, does he really need to have a tour name every year. Except for the fact that he makes a ton of money selling $40 t-shirts to the same people every year, why does the tour really need to have a name? Just call it Buffett Tour 2017, etc. IMO. The name of the tour has no bearing on what songs are played, or anything else for that matter, so just announce a tour. Period. I'll be there no matter what, as I'm sure most on this site will.
Rum. Helping ugly people have sex since 1762.
TommyBahama
Diamond as Big as The Ritz
Favorite Buffett Song: No particular Favorite
Number of Concerts: 86
Favorite Boat Drink: yes please
Location: Connecticut--May your time be filled with relaxing sunsets,cool drinks and sand between your toes.

Post by TommyBahama »

rumdrinks wrote:To be honest, does he really need to have a tour name every year. Except for the fact that he makes a ton of money selling $40 t-shirts to the same people every year, why does the tour really need to have a name? Just call it Buffett Tour 2017, etc. IMO. The name of the tour has no bearing on what songs are played, or anything else for that matter, so just announce a tour. Period. I'll be there no matter what, as I'm sure most on this site will.
It's usually to promote an Album in a lot of cases , unless you count the Christmas Album , he hasn't put one out in a few years. I'm guessing it's a merchandise thing.
finsup2k
Gypsies in the palace
Favorite Buffett Song: Migration
Number of Concerts: 38

Post by finsup2k »

rumdrinks wrote:To be honest, does he really need to have a tour name every year. Except for the fact that he makes a ton of money selling $40 t-shirts to the same people every year, why does the tour really need to have a name? Just call it Buffett Tour 2017, etc. IMO. The name of the tour has no bearing on what songs are played, or anything else for that matter, so just announce a tour. Period. I'll be there no matter what, as I'm sure most on this site will.
I'm in this camp. I don't care about the tour name either. House money workin' for us at this point. Call it Buffett Live 2017, 2018, etc. If any gripe should be made, its that he doesn't play Migration nearly enough!
"As the son of a son of a sailor I went out on the sea for adventure..."
LIPH
Last Man Standing
Favorite Boat Drink: my next beer, as long as it's not Blandshark

Post by LIPH »

I could never understand the fascination with the tour name either. WGAF what he calls it. I just wish he'd cut back on the cover songs, I became a Buffett fan because I like Buffett music. If I want to hear other people's songs, I'll go to other people's shows.
what I really mean . . . I wish you were here
rumdrinks
Half-baked cookies in the oven
Favorite Buffett Song: How can you pick just one ?
Number of Concerts: 30
Favorite Boat Drink: all of them

Post by rumdrinks »

Absolutely, less cover songs, more Buffett. While I really like his versions of Southern Cross and BEG, I don't need to hear Grateful Dead or Bruce, etc., at a Buffett show. Probably 50 Buffett songs I'd rather hear. As for naming the tour to promote an album, I get the the merchandising aspect, but for me, I'll buy the album either way, so it holds no sway with me. I pretty much think his fan base thinks the same way.
Rum. Helping ugly people have sex since 1762.
C4Parrothead

Post by C4Parrothead »

rumdrinks wrote:Absolutely, less cover songs, more Buffett. While I really like his versions of Southern Cross and BEG, I don't need to hear Grateful Dead or Bruce, etc., at a Buffett show. Probably 50 Buffett songs I'd rather hear. As for naming the tour to promote an album, I get the the merchandising aspect, but for me, I'll buy the album either way, so it holds no sway with me. I pretty much think his fan base thinks the same way.
AMEN to this. If I never hear BEG again, it will be too soon.

Would love to hear some older stuff. Love when it's Jimmy & Mac, or this fuse a old song & revive with a new vibe (i.e. In The Shelter from a few yrs ago). Mo Buffet. Mo Betta!
Someday I will.

Latest Tour Stops: