What is the WORST Jimmy Buffett song?

Here you can discuss any Buffett related topic.

Moderator: SMLCHNG

Bicycle Bill
At the Bama Breeze
Favorite Buffett Song: He Went to Paris
Number of Concerts: 1
Favorite Boat Drink: Anything with rum and pineapple juice!

What is the WORST Jimmy Buffett song?

Post by Bicycle Bill »

According to Ike Morgan in an article found on AL.com, it's this one.

Things you realize while ranking (almost) every song Jimmy Buffett has recorded:

Buffett has written songs with really cool people.  Some of his favorite co-writers, of course, have been bandmates Mac McAnally, Will Kimbrough, Michael “Mr.” Utley, and Will Jennings as well as the late Steve Goodman ("City of New Orleans," "You Never Even Called Me By My Name").  You’ll also find co-writing credits for Glenn Frey, Bill Withers, and the princess herself, Carrie Fisher.

His evolution from folk to Gulf-and-western to a more heavily island sound makes it difficult to rank the catalog because your mood really affects how you perceive the comparisons.  If I did this exercise again some of the songs (mostly outside the top 100) might be much higher or lower.

For average quality of songs, I’d rank his decades: 1. 1970s; 2. 2000s; 3. 1990s; 4. 1980s.

Before we get started, just know that we will disagree.  Which is fine with me.  My rankings are not a music snob’s list about good and bad music (although both are well-represented).  But beyond the vocal melodies and chord progressions, there is an awful lot of humor and storytelling going on in Buffett’s work.  Nearly all of it seems to fit into Buffett’s musical journey as he leads his legions toward their metaphorical Margaritaville.

Some criteria

Here is one thing I consciously decided and one thing I couldn’t help:

Originals were given more consideration than covers, generally.  Some covers, however, fit Buffett’s catalog so well there was little difference while others might rank noticeably low.  For example, Stephen Stills’ “Southern Cross” is simply more 'Buffett' than Merle Haggard’s “Silver Wings,” even though they’re both wonderful songs that Bubba does well.

I’m somewhat biased toward the more country-sounding music.  Remember that Miami parrothead at the beginning of the 1985 concert film “By the Bay” who complains that Buffett has been “up there with those rednecks”?  That guy probably wouldn’t like my rankings.

What's not on the list
  • ● Songs that did not appear on a studio album and were not released as singles.
    ● Cuts from movie soundtracks such as “Rancho Deluxe” and “Hoot” and the musical soundtrack from “Don’t Stop the Carnival” that were not released as singles.  Most of these were not intended to stand on their own, and it felt awkward to rank them against full-length pieces.
    ● “Abandoned on Tuesday” and “Don’t Bring Me Candy” and any other pre-“Down to Earth” recordings that never made it to an album.  I’ve never heard them, and you probably haven’t either.
    ● Songs appearing only on live albums.
    ● Other peoples' songs on which Buffett appears, such as Alan Jackson's "5 O'Clock Somewhere" and Zac Brown Band's "Knee Deep".
That leaves 307 sandy, salty, and seaworthy songs.  Let’s count ‘em down:
Click here to read the article and to see the list.

Ohh.... just as a sort-of **spoiler alert** .... #1 (and four others in the Top Ten) can be found on the 'yellow album'. [smilie=nod.gif]
-"BB"-
"I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead."
"Some of it's magic, and some of it's tragic, but I've had a good life all the way."
big john
Under My Lone Palm
Favorite Buffett Song: One Particular Harbour
Number of Concerts: 30
Favorite Boat Drink: Oh just give me a beer

Re: What is the WORST Jimmy Buffett song?

Post by big john »

Dammit, I happen to like "Creola". :pirate:
Who's got the rum?
big john
Under My Lone Palm
Favorite Buffett Song: One Particular Harbour
Number of Concerts: 30
Favorite Boat Drink: Oh just give me a beer

Post by big john »

And he also ranked "Chanson Pour Les Petits Enfants" very low.
Nope, don't think much of this guy's list. :pirate:
Who's got the rum?
drunkpirate66
Here We Are
Favorite Buffett Song: Take Another Road
Number of Concerts: 67
Favorite Boat Drink: Beers.

Post by drunkpirate66 »

Today I learned that there are over 100 Jimmy Buffett songs worse than Math Sux.
the hit and run is as good as any religion around this time of year . . .
LIPH
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 0
Favorite Boat Drink: my next beer, as long as it's not Blandshark

Post by LIPH »

What's not on the list
Songs that did not appear on a studio album and were not released as singles.
Cuts from movie soundtracks such as “Rancho Deluxe” and “Hoot” and the musical soundtrack from “Don’t Stop the Carnival” that were not released as singles. Most of these were not intended to stand on their own, and it felt awkward to rank them against full-length pieces.
● “Abandoned on Tuesday” and “Don’t Bring Me Candy” and any other pre-“Down to Earth” recordings that never made it to an album. I’ve never heard them, and you probably haven’t either.
Songs appearing only on live albums.
● Other peoples' songs on which Buffett appears, such as Alan Jackson's "5 O'Clock Somewhere" and Zac Brown Band's "Knee Deep".

The guy didn't even follow his own guidelines. He has both Southern Cross and Barefootin' on the list. Southern Cross has never been on a studio album, only live albums. Barefootin' is from the "Hoot" soundtrack. Neither song, as far as I know, was ever released as a single. Plus, he loses all credibility by not ranking almost every song in the history of the universe above Turn Up The Heat And Chill The Rose, A Lot To Drink About and Too Drunk To Karaoke.
what I really mean . . . I wish you were here
Dr.Corona
Party at the End of the World
Favorite Buffett Song: Apocalypso..no..Semi-True Story..no.Creola..no..REGGAE ACCIDENT!!
Number of Concerts: 6
Favorite Boat Drink: As if you HAD to ask!!

Post by Dr.Corona »

LIPH wrote: May 7, 2017 7:33 pm What's not on the list
Songs that did not appear on a studio album and were not released as singles.
Cuts from movie soundtracks such as “Rancho Deluxe” and “Hoot” and the musical soundtrack from “Don’t Stop the Carnival” that were not released as singles. Most of these were not intended to stand on their own, and it felt awkward to rank them against full-length pieces.
● “Abandoned on Tuesday” and “Don’t Bring Me Candy” and any other pre-“Down to Earth” recordings that never made it to an album. I’ve never heard them, and you probably haven’t either.
Songs appearing only on live albums.

The guy didn't even follow his own guidelines. He has both Southern Cross and Barefootin' on the list. Southern Cross has never been on a studio album, only live albums. Barefootin' is from the "Hoot" soundtrack. Neither song, as far as I know, was ever released as a single. Plus, he loses all credibility by not ranking almost every song in the history of the universe above Turn Up The Heat And Chill The Rose, A Lot To Drink About and Too Drunk To Karaoke.
I have no issue packaging the threesome you mentioned along with Math Suks & Everybody's on the Phone as the bottom feeder five!
Oh, and I LOVE Creola!
Corona by day, Corona by night, any old time is just alright!Image
spadilly
Gypsies in the palace
Favorite Buffett Song: Trying to Reason...
Number of Concerts: 13
Favorite Boat Drink: Ginger Beer!

Post by spadilly »

Creole is nowhere near the worst.
Worst implies skipping it or changing the station when it comes on. I don't mind creole one bit.

"Turn Up the Heat, Chill the Rosé" would probably have my vote. Either that or "Too Drunk to Karaoke."
Houston 4/21/08, 5/20/10, 12/6/10, 5/5/11, 5/29/14, 5/28/15, 6/4/16, 6/8/17, 6/1/19, 6/4/22
Tampa 4/25/09
Frisco 5/21/11, 5/4/13
jbfins
I gotta go where it's warm

Post by jbfins »

I can't believe I wasted my time looking at that list. I might have to go read some headlines on "Yahoo" to make myself feel better.
"Some people never find it..."
palmettopirate
Half-baked cookies in the oven
Favorite Buffett Song: Coast of Carolina
Favorite Boat Drink: sweet tea

Post by palmettopirate »

Tough call. But I know darn well what his worst book is.
Every day you wake up you get another chance to do it right.
ASaltyPieceOfLand
Southeast of disorder
Favorite Buffett Song: Brahma Fear
Number of Concerts: 26

Post by ASaltyPieceOfLand »

spadilly wrote: May 8, 2017 10:19 am Creole is nowhere near the worst.
Worst implies skipping it or changing the station when it comes on. I don't mind creole one bit.

"Turn Up the Heat, Chill the Rosé" would probably have my vote. Either that or "Too Drunk to Karaoke."
Vampires, Mummies And The Holy Ghost is bad, so is Cultural Infidel - but not as bad as Turn Up the Heat, Chill the Rosé AND Party At The End Of The World!
Salt air it ain't thin...
C4Parrothead
I need two more boat drinks
Favorite Buffett Song: Pirate Looks at 40 / Someday I will / Little Miss Magic / DelaneyTalks
Number of Concerts: 36
Favorite Boat Drink: Tito’s

Post by C4Parrothead »

Agree with all of these. My Top 3 are

Math Sux
Too Drunk Too Karaoke
Party at the End of The World
Earl's Dead Cadillac for Sale coming in a close 4th
Someday I will.

Latest Tour Stops:
-Dublin, Ireland 9.21.19 - SOASOAS (33)
-Red Rocks 9.9.21 - Slack Tide (34)
-Raleigh 4.23.22 - Life on the Flip Side (35)
-Charlotte 4.30.22 - Life on the Flip Side (36)
daddymention
I Love the Now!
Favorite Buffett Song: Tryin' to Reason With Hurricane Season & Cowboy in the Jungle
Number of Concerts: 31
Favorite Boat Drink: Pizza Port Carlsbad- Poor Man's IPA & Zombies

Post by daddymention »

My top 5 worst songs...
1. Too Drunk To Karaoke
2. Math Suks
3. Turn Up The Heat, Chill The Rose
4. You Call It Jogging
5. Summerzcool
1ST CONCERT: SAT. AUG 6, 1988 - PACIFIC AMPHITHEATRE, COSTA MESA, CA - LOGE 11 SEC 2 ROW U SEAT 42 $20.35
SHOWS: DAVID-31, STEFANIA-27, SHANE-11, EMMA KATE-7
PARROT HEAD SINCE 1984
The Remittance Man
I have found me a home
Favorite Buffett Song: Nautical Wheelers
Number of Concerts: 1
Favorite Boat Drink: I can only choose one?!

Post by The Remittance Man »

Without a doubt, the worst is "She's Got You." "Math Suks" may be silly and dumb, but at least it's not butchering someone else's classic.

Among Buffett originals? Probably "Chill the Rose" or "We're Still Here" (although I guess the latter doesn't count here because it hasn't been on a studio album).
谁他妈的偷了我的比萨周六晚上? 不要他妈的, 你最好把它找回来!
65pacecar
Nibblin' on sponge cake
Favorite Buffett Song: Pirate Looks at 40, CIL-CIA, Captain and the Kid, Tin Cup Chalice
Number of Concerts: 41
Favorite Boat Drink: Lemonade (Non Drinker)

Post by 65pacecar »

C4Parrothead wrote: May 11, 2017 3:35 pm Agree with all of these. My Top 3 are

Math Sux
Too Drunk Too Karaoke
Party at the End of The World
Earl's Dead Cadillac for Sale coming in a close 4th
I have to agree with you, especially on Too Drunk to Karaoke, its terrible. But I kinda like Part at the End of the World.
sabresparrothead
Southeast of disorder

Post by sabresparrothead »

Creola is on my setlist/CD of Buffett favorites...

Regabilly Hill, Chanson Pour Les Petits Enfants, African Friend, Somewhere Over China, The Night I Painted the Sky (OK, I pretty much love everything from Barometer Soup), and Love and Luck (doesn't everyone love that song?), among others, appear in the bottom half of his rankings, and I'd say they're all well in my top half.

But he has Summerzcool, Brown Eyed Girl (a great song when Van Morrison sang it - and also violates his criteria), and Party at the End of the World in his top half...
ASaltyPieceOfLand
Southeast of disorder

The Remittance Man wrote: May 20, 2017 6:26 am Without a doubt, the worst is "She's Got You." "Math Suks" may be silly and dumb, but at least it's not butchering someone else's classic.

Among Buffett originals? Probably "Chill the Rose" or "We're Still Here" (although I guess the latter doesn't count here because it hasn't been on a studio album).
We're Still Here is, technically speaking, on his 2006 LP Take The Weather With You on the CD edition only, to my knowledge, anyway.
BPinMI
Nibblin' on sponge cake
Favorite Buffett Song: he went to paris
Number of Concerts: 20

Post by BPinMI »

I Wish Lunch Could Last Forever.
SeattleParrotHead
Chewin' on a Honeysuckle Vine
Favorite Buffett Song: Island, 12v Man
Number of Concerts: 6
Favorite Boat Drink: Mai Tais @ Dukes

Post by SeattleParrotHead »

BPinMI wrote: June 11, 2017 8:03 am I Wish Lunch Could Last Forever.
Blasphemy!
ImageImage

I know the voices in my head aren’t real, but sometimes they have really good ideas…..
SPH
wanderingtoes
Half-baked cookies in the oven
Favorite Buffett Song: When The Coast Is Clear
Number of Concerts: 29
Favorite Boat Drink: Margarita

Post by wanderingtoes »

Creola would certainly not be in the bottom of my list. I love the song, likely the writer missed the meaning, because he doesn't know the origination of the song, but he is entitled to his opinion.
"I've got a School Boy Heart"
ASaltyPieceOfLand
Southeast of disorder

wanderingtoes wrote: June 15, 2017 8:59 am Creola would certainly not be in the bottom of my list. I love the song, likely the writer missed the meaning, because he doesn't know the origination of the song, but he is entitled to his opinion.
http://www.cityofcreola.org/home.html