Radio Margaritaville

Here you can discuss any Buffett related topic.

Moderators: SMLCHNG, Saltx3

BeachInspector
Nibblin' on sponge cake
Favorite Buffett Song: One Particlular Harbor
Number of Concerts: 3
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum & Coke

Radio Margaritaville

Post by BeachInspector »

Would anyone else like to see RM move back to being more of a TropRock station? Mixing in artists like Howard Livingston, Sunny Jim, Jim Morrison, etc. in addition to JB's music would seem a much better fit than playing Van Morrison, Motown and Sturgill Simpson. Ever since Steve Huntington moved out of program director role it seems RM has shifted to playing music that has nothing to do with the laid-back tropical atmosphere. Just wanted to see what others are thinking.

FinsUp6835
I Love the Now!
Favorite Buffett Song: LivingstonsGone2TX MeetMeinMemphis Winoandiknow CowboyIntheJungle
Number of Concerts: 50
Favorite Boat Drink: Ice Cold Loaded Landshark

Re: Radio Margaritaville

Post by FinsUp6835 »

I like the way it is but I'm not huge into the trop rock scene. Though I do like a couple trop rock songs here and there
"Tragedies very often become comedies, and they better become comedies real fast or else you're in a lot of trouble..." - Jimmy, 1978.

lime rickie
God's Own Drunk
Favorite Buffett Song: Bama Breeze
Number of Concerts: 11
Favorite Boat Drink: lime rickey

Post by lime rickie »

BeachInspector wrote:
July 27, 2017 2:51 pm
Would anyone else like to see RM move back to being more of a TropRock station? Mixing in artists like Howard Livingston, Sunny Jim, Jim Morrison, etc. in addition to JB's music would seem a much better fit than playing Van Morrison, Motown and Sturgill Simpson. Ever since Steve Huntington moved out of program director role it seems RM has shifted to playing music that has nothing to do with the laid-back tropical atmosphere. Just wanted to see what others are thinking.
No. Because liking Jimmy does not mean only liking Trop Rock. RM plays a decent variety. You want Trop Rock? There are many purely trop rock options, e.g. the tikipod, A1A radio, etc.

And better fit than Van Morrison? BEG is a staple (not for me personally, but clearly people love it) and Jimmy and the CRB recent cover of Into the Mystic was just sublime.
You only have two options - havin' fun or freakin' out...

LIPH
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 0
Favorite Boat Drink: my next beer, as long as it's not Blandshark

Post by LIPH »

I'm not a Radio Margaritaville listener but if I was, the lack of trop rock would be a plus for me. I don't think being a Buffett fan means I have to be a fan of every flip flop wearing singer who straps on a guitar and songs about the beach. There's some trop rock that I like but most of it, in my opinion, isn't worth listening to. Your mileage may vary.
what I really mean . . . I wish you were here

FinsUp6835
I Love the Now!
Favorite Buffett Song: LivingstonsGone2TX MeetMeinMemphis Winoandiknow CowboyIntheJungle

Post by FinsUp6835 »

LIPH wrote:
July 27, 2017 6:27 pm
I'm not a Radio Margaritaville listener but if I was, the lack of trop rock would be a plus for me. I don't think being a Buffett fan means I have to be a fan of every flip flop wearing singer who straps on a guitar and songs about the beach. There's some trop rock that I like but most of it, in my opinion, isn't worth listening to. Your mileage may vary.

[smilie=gt-happyup.gif] agree except that I love listening to radio mville and I love landshark lager :D
"Tragedies very often become comedies, and they better become comedies real fast or else you're in a lot of trouble..." - Jimmy, 1978.

FinsUp6835
I Love the Now!

Post by FinsUp6835 »

lime rickie wrote:
July 27, 2017 6:10 pm
BeachInspector wrote:
No. Because liking Jimmy does not mean only liking Trop Rock. RM plays a decent variety. You want Trop Rock? There are many purely trop rock options, e.g. the tikipod, A1A radio, etc.

And better fit than Van Morrison? BEG is a staple (not for me personally, but clearly people love it) and Jimmy and the CRB recent cover of Into the Mystic was just sublime.

I unfortunately think this is a common misconception that ALL Parrothead's love trop rock. This was evident in the Parrothead documentary which seemed like it was pretty much the focus of the film. As there is nothing wrong with trop rock it is a bit frustrating that the general people associate that with all Parrothead's. I don't think the documentary really "nailed" the Phan base and what Parrothead's are all about. To me, trop rock comes off as a little hoaky and cheesy which lacks the magic that drew me to Jimmys songwriting and music in the first place.

But, this is all a matter of opinion. I would love to redo the Parrothead documentary. Maybe in another lifetime.

Fins up

C4Parrothead
I need two more boat drinks
Favorite Buffett Song: Someday I will / Little Miss Magic / One Particular / Delaney / Pirate
Number of Concerts: 33
Favorite Boat Drink: Tito’s

Post by C4Parrothead »

FinsUp6835 wrote:
July 28, 2017 5:58 am
lime rickie wrote:
July 27, 2017 6:10 pm
BeachInspector wrote:

I unfortunately think this is a common misconception that ALL Parrothead's love trop rock. This was evident in the Parrothead documentary which seemed like it was pretty much the focus of the film. As there is nothing wrong with trop rock it is a bit frustrating that the general people associate that with all Parrothead's. I don't think the documentary really "nailed" the Phan base and what Parrothead's are all about. To me, trop rock comes off as a little hoaky and cheesy which lacks the magic that drew me to Jimmys songwriting and music in the first place.

But, this is all a matter of opinion. I would love to redo the Parrothead documentary. Maybe in another lifetime.

Fins up
Agree. Wasn't a huge fan of doc & how it centered on trop rock, that grew from being a Parrothead. Is what it is at this point - but certainly those who produced that film were wanting a certain angle & they got it. It is a far depiction form the majority of us.

From my seat, RM does a good job of blending in Trop Rockers. Their format is solid & think they play a good variety of music that would "fit" with Jimmy. Think Carson, JD, Steve & Kirstin, also do a great job of plugging the Sunny Jim's of the world & let us know where/when they will be playing. Not a huge Van Morrison fan, but he does fit, given everyone's love to BEG, Into Mystic, etc.

Pandora has a trop rock station - might be a good idea to switch to that?
Someday I will.

Next Tour Stop:
-Nashville 4.27.19 - SOASOAS 19 (32)
-Dublin, Ireland 9.21.19 - SOASOAS 19 (33)
-Raleigh 4.18.20 - Slack Tide (34)
-Charlotte 4.25.20 - Slack Tide (35)
-Red Rocks 9.10.20 - Slack Tide (36)

lime rickie
God's Own Drunk
Favorite Buffett Song: Bama Breeze
Number of Concerts: 11
Favorite Boat Drink: lime rickey

Post by lime rickie »

RM does need to drop Matt Hoggatt from the DJ rotation though. He's terrible.
You only have two options - havin' fun or freakin' out...

FinsUp6835
I Love the Now!

Post by FinsUp6835 »

lime rickie wrote:
July 28, 2017 7:08 am
haha I do love Dear JB with JB from Florida - always thought it was so cool that Jimmy did that.

I also have a soft spot for the song Blender Bender haha :pirate:

C4Parrothead
I need two more boat drinks
Favorite Buffett Song: Someday I will / Little Miss Magic / One Particular / Delaney / Pirate
Number of Concerts: 33
Favorite Boat Drink: Tito’s

Post by C4Parrothead »

lime rickie wrote:
100%!!!! He might (keyword on might) be a decent songwriter - but he's terrible on radio. Don't dig him as a performer either,
Someday I will.

Next Tour Stop:
-Nashville 4.27.19 - SOASOAS 19 (32)
-Dublin, Ireland 9.21.19 - SOASOAS 19 (33)
-Raleigh 4.18.20 - Slack Tide (34)
-Charlotte 4.25.20 - Slack Tide (35)
-Red Rocks 9.10.20 - Slack Tide (36)

TommyBahama
Diamond as Big as The Ritz
Favorite Buffett Song: No particular Favorite
Number of Concerts: 86
Favorite Boat Drink: yes please
Location: Connecticut--May your time be filled with relaxing sunsets,cool drinks and sand between your toes.

Post by TommyBahama »

There is Beachfront Radio if you are looking to hear TropRock artist. I actually have it on now at work. I don't mind the RM format, I like to hear groups like Toots and The Maytals , Michael Franti and even Ilo , who really aren't TropRock. Yes Hoggatt is terrible.

BeachInspector
Nibblin' on sponge cake

Post by BeachInspector »

Let me clarify my intention a little more. When I mentioned RM and TropRock in the same sentence I misspoke somewhat. When I do listen to stations such as Beachfront Radio, it is usually lasts no more than one or two songs. Most of the content on the TropRock stations is pretty bad. I did not mean to suggest that RM should only play that format, I was simply wanting to see if anyone else felt like I do that what I consider legitimate artists such as Howard Livingston, Sunny Jim and Jim Morris (RIP) should receive a little more play on RM. At one point that was the case but seems in the last couple of years to have really moved away from those guys. They just seem to fit more with the laid-back escapism lifestyle that many would love to have and are originally drawn to JB in the first place than much of the music that RM currently plays. Anyway, thank you for your opinions as that is what makes life more interesting.
Last edited by BeachInspector on July 28, 2017 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dr.Corona
Chewin' on a Honeysuckle Vine
Favorite Buffett Song: Apocalypso..no..Semi-True Story..no.Creola..no..REGGAE ACCIDENT!!
Number of Concerts: 6
Favorite Boat Drink: As if you HAD to ask!!

Post by Dr.Corona »

BeachInspector wrote:
July 28, 2017 10:48 am
Let me clarify my intention a little more. When I mentioned RM and TropRock in the same sentence I misspoke somewhat. When I do listen to stations such as Beachfront Radio, it is usually lasts no more than one or two songs. Most of the content on the TropRock stations is pretty bad. I did not mean to suggest that RM should only play that format, I was simply wanting to see if anyone else felt like I do that what I consider legitimate artists such as Howard Livingston, Sunny Jim and Jim Morris (RIP) should receive a little more play on RM. At one point that was the case but seems in the last couple of years to have really moved away from those guys. They just seem to fit more with the laid-back escapism lifestyle that many would love to have and are originally drawn to JB in the first place than much of the music that RM currently plays. Anyway, thank you for your opinions as that is what makes life more interesting.
Fixed it for ya Inspector. :wink: Yes, I tend to agree with you. Mostly because much of the non Buffett music in the rotation seems quite redundant. Granted the current rotation has introduced me to some other artists/songs that I enjoy, but I believe it Would be easy to mix the quality Trop Rock in there a little more.
Do agree that I'll still take listening to RM over Beachfront any day, although the late DJ Jeff Allen I thought was excellent in putting together a trop rock rotation during his Amish Beach Party show!
Corona by day, Corona by night, any old time is just alright!Image

BeachInspector
Nibblin' on sponge cake

Post by BeachInspector »

Thanks Dr. Corona. Huge typo on my part, LOL!

Pirate Lookin' at 40
We are the People our Parents Warned us
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by Pirate Lookin' at 40 »

Not a big fan of the current RM. Other than the Buffett Buffet, I scan through but don't leave it on the station for too long. I can do Jimmy Buffett Pandora station and get about an hour or two of really cool music before it starts playing a bunch of music not remotely similar to JB in any way.
"And when I die you can bury me beneath these Western Skies”

-Western Skies, Chris LeDoux 1948-2005

Rest in peace cowboy, a job well done.

Caribbean Soul
I Love the Now!
Favorite Buffett Song: Migration ;-)
Number of Concerts: 15
Favorite Boat Drink: Pick just ONE??!! No can do...

Post by Caribbean Soul »

lime rickie wrote:
I agree there... I channel up to E Street Radio when I hear his voice.
In Boston with...
"this caribbean soul I can barely control and Long Island's always here in my heart"
JB - Sag Harbor 11/20/99

seminoledq
If we weren't all crazy ...
Favorite Buffett Song: King of Somewhere Hot
Number of Concerts: 10
Favorite Boat Drink: Key West Sunset Ale

Post by seminoledq »

lime rickie wrote:
I believe he is short term to cover a maternity leave for someone.

ASaltyPieceOfLand
Southeast of disorder
Favorite Buffett Song: Brahma Fear
Number of Concerts: 26

Post by ASaltyPieceOfLand »

Perhaps it's a matter of how things have changed. When RM came out it was fantastic.

That was quite some time ago.

I hear it occasionally at a bar/restaurant and it drives me crazy half the time. It might be easier to develop your own radio station with Pandora ie thumbs down to Brown Eyed Girl, Cheeseburger, Pirate Flag and so on... thumbs up to more obscure Buffett, Lightfoot, etc.

If one cares enough, obviously.
Salt air it ain't thin...

FinsUp6835
I Love the Now!

Post by FinsUp6835 »

If you are a Sirius xm subscriber you can go on their website and "customize" each station. You can choose to have more of "jimmy" and even pick more "gems" than hits. However if you are just grabbing it for free on mville.com then you have to listen to whatever they are playing. This customized radio mville only works if one IS playing it from their computer.

I think radio mville does a nice job of throwing in hits, other artists and some gems. If I want to listen to deep tracks, gems, and rare shows I will airplay my own iPod. It's nice to throw on radio mville and not have to DJ my own playlist sometimes. More time to throw back some cold landsharks :)

Fins up

chippewa
On a Salty Piece of Land

Post by chippewa »

lime rickie wrote:
We were just discussing this in the car the other day. I'd rather have 3 hours of Ryan Seacrest. :lol:

OK, maybe not quite that far.