Moderator: SMLCHNG

SharkysMV1
We are the People our Parents Warned us
Number of Concerts: 9
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum & Tonic

Re: List of Buffett shows on nugs.net - updated 10/29/20

Post by SharkysMV1 »

We need to be patient.

As an update, per Nugs.net, the releases are determined by JB and his media team.
“Later down the road of life, I made the discovery that salt water was also good for the mental abrasions one inevitably acquires on land.” - JB, APLAFifty
Bucarader
If we weren't all crazy ...
Favorite Buffett Song: Tin Cup Chalice
Number of Concerts: 18
Favorite Boat Drink: Mojito

Post by Bucarader »

I downloaded the Key West show in the ALAC format and it sounds pretty good. However, does anyone really think that they will eventually get all the shows up there with an extensive of a library as SunLover? I doubt it. I just see them getting an “overview” up there, but it will never rival what exists, thanks to SunLover.

And you cannot download the videos, you can only stream them.
Don't try to describe the ocean if you've never seen it.
sandman78
Nibblin' on sponge cake
Favorite Buffett Song: Last Mango in Paris
Number of Concerts: 21
Favorite Boat Drink: A Margarita

Post by sandman78 »

Any idea of when the missing shows from the virtual tours will be converted to audio and uploaded by Sunlover?
urlcenter
Behind Door #3
Number of Concerts: 6

Post by urlcenter »

sandman78 wrote: November 19, 2020 10:54 pm Any idea of when the missing shows from the virtual tours will be converted to audio and uploaded by Sunlover?
He has very busy schedule with his job, he seems to be getting the videos uploaded first before the audio recordings. Creating the audio recordings requires making a full audio recording of each show in a single MP3 format file and then splitting the single file into individual tracks for uploading. This is a time consuming process.

I just checked the server and Sunlover has uploaded 5 concert videos to the server from the recent concert replays in the last 10 days.

The recent uploads include:

1999.02.28 - Boston, MA
2007.09.09 - Foxboro, MA
2014.03.07 - Queensland, AU
2014.03.09 - Queensland, AU
2016.10.28 - Okinawa, JP
lime rickie
God's Own Drunk
Favorite Buffett Song: Bama Breeze
Number of Concerts: 11
Favorite Boat Drink: lime rickey

Post by lime rickie »

I don't even use these but I remain in awe of David's time and commitment to maintaining all this for y'all.
You only have two options - havin' fun or freakin' out...

tailgaitingph
Chewin' on a Honeysuckle Vine
Favorite Buffett Song: Manana or CILCIA
Number of Concerts: 0
Favorite Boat Drink: Yes please

Post by tailgaitingph »

lime rickie wrote: November 21, 2020 5:00 pm I don't even use these but I remain in awe of David's time and commitment to maintaining all this for y'all.
Ditto!
SharkysMV1

Post by SharkysMV1 »

lime rickie wrote: November 21, 2020 5:00 pm I don't even use these but I remain in awe of David's time and commitment to maintaining all this for y'all.
Agreed!

I’m assuming SL works in IT, and I can tell you first hand that IT workers are in extremely high demand and very busy at their jobs during these times. My office’s IT guru says he has never been busier in his life, supporting all of us who are working remotely.
“Later down the road of life, I made the discovery that salt water was also good for the mental abrasions one inevitably acquires on land.” - JB, APLAFifty
sandman78
Nibblin' on sponge cake

Post by sandman78 »

Any word from Sunlover about when he can upload the audio to some of the virtual tour shows?

Thanks!

Dandy
urlcenter
Behind Door #3

Post by urlcenter »

sandman78 wrote: December 6, 2020 10:49 pm Any word from Sunlover about when he can upload the audio to some of the virtual tour shows?

Thanks!

Dandy
I sent Sunlover a PM regarding the audio upload backlog, he has not responded as yet
sandman78
Nibblin' on sponge cake

Post by sandman78 »

Any word from Sunlover about uploading the audio to some of the virtual tour shows?

Thanks,

Sandy
urlcenter
Behind Door #3

Post by urlcenter »

sandman78 wrote: December 17, 2020 9:29 am Any word from Sunlover about uploading the audio to some of the virtual tour shows?

Thanks,

Sandy
I am still waiting to hear from him in response to my recent PM's to him
Bucarader
If we weren't all crazy ...
Favorite Buffett Song: Tin Cup Chalice
Number of Concerts: 18
Favorite Boat Drink: Mojito

Post by Bucarader »

What SunLover does for us is amazing! Be patient, they will get uploaded!

I am disappointed in the Nugs content. They seem to have uploaded all they are going to do. I bought the Key Weat show in ALAC format, and i cannot tell the difference between it and the download that I have from SunLover. Generally I can hear a vast difference between lossless and 256 MP3, but not this time.
Don't try to describe the ocean if you've never seen it.
SharkysMV1

Post by SharkysMV1 »

Bucarader wrote: December 17, 2020 9:09 pm What SunLover does for us is amazing! Be patient, they will get uploaded!

I am disappointed in the Nugs content. They seem to have uploaded all they are going to do. I bought the Key Weat show in ALAC format, and i cannot tell the difference between it and the download that I have from SunLover. Generally I can hear a vast difference between lossless and 256 MP3, but not this time.
Agreed, when the JB archive on Nugs.net was announced, it sounded like it was going to be quite a collection from the vault.

Regarding the Key West show, I agree, but while it was originally streamed on RM and MVille TV, I do not think the original airing of it was hosted via the standard RM/MVille TV host. If you notice when the webcast begins, there is another icon at the bottom of the screen showing a different satellite/streaming host. I have a feeling that quality from that streaming provider was originally better than what RM usually provides, so the difference between the "official" ALAC and the stream SunLover captured is negligible.

Some of the shows that Nugs.net has available were already available in higher-quality bootlegs (Great Woods '99)/official releases (Anguilla, parts of Vegas 2011, parts of Fenway, parts of Honolulu 2004) so the sound quality differences with those would likely be negligible, as well.

I do like the Bora Bora release though.
Showlistener2018
Southeast of disorder
Number of Concerts: 7

Post by Showlistener2018 »

They really need to increase their numbers.
urlcenter
Behind Door #3

Post by urlcenter »

Showlistener2018 wrote: December 25, 2020 2:04 am They really need to increase their numbers.
I think that folks at nugs did not the response they expected with the initial JB offerings due to their own pricing structure which requires a fee of $12.99 a month just to stream shows and then additional multiple fees to download shows. Those multiple or different download fees are based on the audio quality a person wants to download with shows offered in three different audio qualities as well being available in multiple disc CD sets. The CD sets are priced at $23 per show which kind of steep.

Added to that is that two of the posted shows are incomplete with one show missing 8 songs and another missing one song while two others are compilations rather then full shows.
sandman78
Nibblin' on sponge cake

Post by sandman78 »

Any word from Sunlover?

Happy New Year!

Sandy
urlcenter
Behind Door #3

Post by urlcenter »

sandman78 wrote: January 1, 2021 2:02 pm Any word from Sunlover?

Happy New Year!

Sandy
Nothing yet
urlcenter
Behind Door #3

Post by urlcenter »

sandman78 wrote: January 1, 2021 2:02 pm Any word from Sunlover?

Happy New Year!

Sandy
I finally heard from Sunlover and he working on getting the audio recordings uploaded here is what he told me:

"I know people have been asking about audio versions of the virtual tour. I have been going through various show files (both audio and video) to make some space and get source content all together and better organized. I hope to get some of the virtual tour audio files up soon."

So he is working on things as quick as he can
sandman78
Nibblin' on sponge cake

Post by sandman78 »

Thank you for checking!

Sandy
atmarler26
I have found me a home
Favorite Buffett Song: Manana and One Particular Harbor
Number of Concerts: 1

Post by atmarler26 »

urlcenter wrote: November 5, 2020 12:36 pm
sandman78 wrote: November 5, 2020 11:43 am So I guess the 18 shows are all we are going to get? I wish Jimmy and Nugs had put out concerts that had not been previously broadcast on RM or Marg.TV

Very disappointed, but I hope sunlover is able to get those remaining shows from the virtual tours up on the server.

Thanks,

Sandy
There well be more shows available on nugs as the original announcement stated that Jimmy was releasing 30 years worth of shows on nugs. My personal feeling is that the response to the shows being on nugs has been underwhelming due the fact that downloads have to be purchased. I am pretty sure the download pricing came as short of sticker shock to those who wanted to purchase shows especially the price for shows on CD for $23 per show. On top of the downloading prices the nugs service is $12.99 a month just to be able stream the shows online, although the first month was free.

We have become spoiled with access to the jokelben server in it's various incarnations over the years from it's humble start as an FTP server hosting just MP3 recordings of concerts to the current version run by Sunlover that includes not only audio but video recordings as well.

As for the backlog of shows to be uploaded, Sunlover will get things caught up as soon as he can, it takes a little time to create the audio uploads of each show.
If nugs.net has audio of shows that were not on the Jokelben server or not broadcast on RM, like the 2000 Mansfield shows or the 2019 Dublin show for example, then I would be more than willing to pay for it. Otherwise, there's no way I'm paying for audio of any show that has been available for free for all these years.

I've always downloaded each individual track, put them in order and then uploaded them to a blank CD myself. The cost of one blank CD vs $23 per show would only be worth it if it's a show that I haven't heard already/wouldn't have been able to listen to before.

If Jokelben eventually has to be taken down as a result of this, so be it. At least we've had it to enjoy for such a long period of time.
"The last time we played here in 2004 in September, the Red Sox won the World Series in October. I'm thinking the same thing this year, how 'bout you?" -Jimmy Buffett, 8/9/2018