2021 Baseball Thread

In this forum you can discuss anything from sports, news, or what ever is on your mind.

Moderator: SMLCHNG

Dr.Corona
Party at the End of the World
Favorite Buffett Song: Apocalypso..no..Semi-True Story..no.Creola..no..REGGAE ACCIDENT!!
Number of Concerts: 6
Favorite Boat Drink: As if you HAD to ask!!

Re: 2021 Baseball Thread

Post by Dr.Corona »

SeattleParrotHead wrote: April 14, 2021 9:21 pm I know I'm just a grouchy old man resistant to change, but what a bunch of hooey! :roll:
Seven inning double header games, starting the 10th inning with a runner on second, etc, etc......
Before you know it, they'll be deciding ties with home run derby. :evil:
Fixed it for ya... :wink:
Corona by day, Corona by night, any old time is just alright!Image
Dr.Corona
Favorite Buffett Song: Apocalypso..no..Semi-True Story..no.Creola..no..REGGAE ACCIDENT!!

Post by Dr.Corona »

LIPH wrote: April 14, 2021 6:49 pm The Atlantic League, an independent minor league with no affiliations with any major league teams, will be testing 2 new rules this season:
1. If, or more accurately when, a team removes its starting pitcher, they lose the DH for the rest of the game.
2. In the second half of the season they're moving the pitching rubber back 1 foot. It will be 61 ft. 6 in instead of 60 ft. 6 in. The theory is batters will get a better look at the ball leading to fewer strikeouts and more balls in play.
Personally, I wish all of baseball would go with a DH....thus rule #1 needs to be strike out.
I've heard a bit of chatter about rule #2 as well. IMO if more batters would start by taking the Tony Gwynn/Ichiro Suzuki/George Brett approach to hitting there would be PLENTY of balls put in play, much fewer strikeouts & still plenty of runs scored.
TommyBahama
Diamond as Big as The Ritz
Favorite Buffett Song: No particular Favorite
Number of Concerts: 86
Favorite Boat Drink: yes please
Location: Connecticut--May your time be filled with relaxing sunsets,cool drinks and sand between your toes.

Post by TommyBahama »

Dr.Corona wrote: April 15, 2021 7:18 am
LIPH wrote: April 14, 2021 6:49 pm The Atlantic League, an independent minor league with no affiliations with any major league teams, will be testing 2 new rules this season:
1. If, or more accurately when, a team removes its starting pitcher, they lose the DH for the rest of the game.
2. In the second half of the season they're moving the pitching rubber back 1 foot. It will be 61 ft. 6 in instead of 60 ft. 6 in. The theory is batters will get a better look at the ball leading to fewer strikeouts and more balls in play.
Personally, I wish all of baseball would go with a DH....thus rule #1 needs to be strike out.
I've heard a bit of chatter about rule #2 as well. IMO if more batters would start by taking the Tony Gwynn/Ichiro Suzuki/George Brett approach to hitting there would be PLENTY of balls put in play, much fewer strikeouts & still plenty of runs scored.
DH i agree with. Even though not a fan. It takes the thinking out of baseball. It's all about launch angle and hitting HR's. It's about shifts. If players hit the opposite way , they can eliminate that. If a player would just keep bunting down the 3rd baseline (if a lefty). They would eliminate the shift. But. It's not about average or putting the ball in play to manufacturer runs or driving in a run.
LIPH
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 0
Favorite Boat Drink: my next beer, as long as it's not Blandshark

Post by LIPH »

I realize it's early in the season and 15 games isn't much of a sample size, but the Yankees have the worst record in the American League. As a long suffering Mets fan, I had to get that out there. :lol:
what I really mean . . . I wish you were here
Elrod
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 37

Post by Elrod »

Dr.Corona wrote: April 15, 2021 7:18 am
I agree the Tony Gwynn/Ichiro Suzuki/George Brett approach to hitting would result in plenty of offense!
"Nonsense! I have not yet begun to defile myself." - Doc Holliday
SeattleParrotHead
Chewin' on a Honeysuckle Vine
Favorite Buffett Song: Island, 12v Man
Favorite Boat Drink: Mai Tais @ Dukes

Post by SeattleParrotHead »

ImageImage

I know the voices in my head aren’t real, but sometimes they have really good ideas…..
SPH
LIPH
Last Man Standing

Post by LIPH »

I just saw an article online that said the Cleveland Indians will be changing their name to the Guardians.
Dr.Corona

Post by Dr.Corona »

LIPH wrote: July 23, 2021 12:04 pm I just saw an article online that said the Cleveland Indians will be changing their name to the Guardians.
On facebook many of the fans have suggested they should have went with the Cleveland Steamers in an ode to their shipping heritage. I find it ironic they've basically just taken the IN off the front & replaced it with Guar. Another name suggested that I think is clever and would work is the Cleveland Rocks! It's from the opening of the Drew Carey show, based upon the song Cleveland Rocks. Not sure what the significance of the Guardians is.....
LIPH
Last Man Standing

Post by LIPH »

I think they should have come up with a name that has something to do with Cleveland's heritage, like Burning River.
TommyBahama
Diamond as Big as The Ritz
Favorite Buffett Song: No particular Favorite
Number of Concerts: 86
Favorite Boat Drink: yes please
Location: Connecticut--May your time be filled with relaxing sunsets,cool drinks and sand between your toes.

Post by TommyBahama »

Dr.Corona wrote: July 23, 2021 1:41 pm
LIPH wrote: July 23, 2021 12:04 pm I just saw an article online that said the Cleveland Indians will be changing their name to the Guardians.
On facebook many of the fans have suggested they should have went with the Cleveland Steamers in an ode to their shipping heritage. I find it ironic they've basically just taken the IN off the front & replaced it with Guar. Another name suggested that I think is clever and would work is the Cleveland Rocks! It's from the opening of the Drew Carey show, based upon the song Cleveland Rocks. Not sure what the significance of the Guardians is.....
I was going with Cleveland Rockers!!
big john
Under My Lone Palm
Favorite Buffett Song: One Particular Harbour
Number of Concerts: 30
Favorite Boat Drink: Oh just give me a beer

Post by big john »

Orioles won their third game in a a row! Won in the bottom of the 9th by beating out a throw at the plate.
GO O's! :D
Who's got the rum?
Dr.Corona

Post by Dr.Corona »

Current Detroit Tiger Miguel Cabrera notched his 500th career home run today becoming major league baseball’s 28th player to do so.
After 5 seasons as a Florida Marlin, Cabrera was traded to the Tigers. He is now in his 14th season with the Tigers. He is the last player to win major-league baseball’s Triple Crown, the league leader in home runs, runs batted in and batting average in 2012. He is also currently on a quest to become the 33rd major league baseball player to have 3000 hits in a career needing only 45 more.
I’m pleased to have been able to witness as a fan of the Tigers his completion of the first accomplishment & his continued attempt at the 2nd.
Go Tigers! Go Miggy!
Dr.Corona

Post by Dr.Corona »

Congrats Taylor MI little league baseball team. Little League World Series champs!. A moment that none of those young boys will ever forget.
LIPH
Last Man Standing

Post by LIPH »

Former Pelicans relief pitcher Scott Effross made his major league debut for the Cubs today. He pitched 2/3 of an inning and allowed 2 runs so his ERA is 27.00. :o
LIPH
Last Man Standing

Post by LIPH »

ESPN is reporting San Francisco Giants catcher Buster Posey will announce his retirement tomorrow. MVP, batting champion, lifetime batting average over .300 (which is rare for a catcher), best player on 3 World Series championship teams and I think he was rookie of the year. Hall of Fame in his future? I think so.
SMLCHNG
Favorite Buffett Song: Lovely Cruise/Bubbles Up
Number of Concerts: 20
Favorite Boat Drink: Extra dirty gin martini

Post by SMLCHNG »

LIPH wrote: November 3, 2021 8:31 pm Hall of Fame in his future? I think so.
I think so, too.