What are YOU reading?

In this forum you can discuss anything from sports, news, or what ever is on your mind.

Moderators: SMLCHNG, Saltx3

capnbobby
Half-baked cookies in the oven
Favorite Buffett Song: Trying to Reason with Hurricane Season
Number of Concerts: 28
Favorite Boat Drink: Bacardi 8 anos

Re: What are YOU reading?

Post by capnbobby »

"Dead Last" by James W. Hall, who writes a South Florida crime series starring a character named Thorn. "Dead Last" was solid. I would give it a "B" or 3 out of 4 stars.

8) Fins Up 8)
Cap'n Bobby

ScarletB
On a Salty Piece of Land
Favorite Buffett Song: OPH BEST...SONG...EVER!!
Number of Concerts: 12
Favorite Boat Drink: Chill the rose

Post by ScarletB »

ejr wrote:Stephen King's 11/22/63. Haven't been able to get into his stuff for years, and don't like time travel stuff, but I really am loving this book!
About 1/4 way through it, kind of a slowish start for me but I'm hooked now.
GW - 7/19
Great Northern MOTM - 7/20-21
Hershey Labor Day Weekend Show - 8/29
MOTM - Oct 28

East Texas Parrothead
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: Tonight I Just Need My Guitar *and* Southern Cross
Number of Concerts: 40
Favorite Boat Drink: Mojito

Post by East Texas Parrothead »

"One Rough Man" by Brad Taylor. First in a series by a former special ops guy. Had to put the second one down. Those of you who read this genre might like them, though. The main character is named Pike Logan. He's one bad ass SOB ... if even 1/8 of what's in the story is true, I'm glad there are guys like Logan out there protecting the rest of us.

Am about 100 pages into Dean Koontz's new one. Can't say I'm really liking it, but I keep turning the pages. 8)
Gentilly ... 42 years is a long time to wait .... a Northeast Texas woman can hope.
My love is an anchor tied to you, tied with a silver chain.

Sundog
Nibblin' on sponge cake
Favorite Buffett Song: Tin Cup Chalice
Number of Concerts: 25
Favorite Boat Drink: Appleton Estate, Diet Coke, Lime, Rocks

Post by Sundog »

For the Low Country people out there, I have an author for you. Her name is Kathryn R. Wall, and she has the feel for the intrigue of life in southeastern South Carolina in her Bay Tanner mystery series. I recently read Judas Island and felt the warmth of a Hilton Head sun on my shoulders as a Hoosier winter descended upon my midwest household. Though an Ohio transplant, she obviously has a passion for the history and present day status of a state both glorified and villified in various ways over the years. READ it. From a Cincinnati boy who feels a connection to the South.

East Texas Parrothead
Last Man Standing

THE SENSE OF AN ENDING. 2011 Man Booker Award winner by Julian Barnes.
Gentilly ... 42 years is a long time to wait .... a Northeast Texas woman can hope.

fins2theleft
On a Salty Piece of Land
Favorite Buffett Song: "Rhumba Man"! there are parts in that song that....well....
Favorite Boat Drink: RUM!

Post by fins2theleft »

ScarletB wrote:
ejr wrote:Stephen King's 11/22/63. Haven't been able to get into his stuff for years, and don't like time travel stuff, but I really am loving this book!
I'm also reading this....I'm totally obsessed with JFK so as soon as this came out on iBooks i bought it. im still pretty far from the end, but im loving it. wish i had more time to read it, i'd probably already be done.
Wrinkles only go where the smiles have been!

Elrod
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 37

Post by Elrod »

Image Image

92 In The Shade is my lunchtime read at work. Setup On Front Street is on my Kindle at home.
"You can fool all the people some of the time and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time." - Abraham Lincoln

Bfan53again
Under My Lone Palm
Favorite Buffett Song: "I Have Found Me a Home"
Number of Concerts: 8
Favorite Boat Drink: Dark 'n Stormy

Post by Bfan53again »

Just picked up Mile Marker Zero by William McKeen. :pirate:

Tales of the "characters" that made up the history of Key West back in the day......yes, there is much about Mr. Buffett, too. [smilie=coolup.gif]
On most days I say: "Wrinkles only go where the smiles have been...."
Sometimes I can only say: "There is no dumbass vaccine......"

If something or someone gets you down, just remember: "In a hundred years it all won’t matter.........."

Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

More of a coffee table type of book but still a very good read.

Skibo
Hoot!

Post by Skibo »

Finally finished The Farhud. Tough read. I'm going light this time

It's light reading and quite interesting.
Rub yours on me and I'll rub mine on you

Elrod
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 37

Post by Elrod »

Pineapple Grenade by Tim Dorsey
"You can fool all the people some of the time and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time." - Abraham Lincoln

ScarletB
On a Salty Piece of Land
Favorite Buffett Song: OPH BEST...SONG...EVER!!
Favorite Boat Drink: Chill the rose

Post by ScarletB »

fins2theleft wrote:
ScarletB wrote:
I'm also reading this....I'm totally obsessed with JFK so as soon as this came out on iBooks i bought it. im still pretty far from the end, but im loving it. wish i had more time to read it, i'd probably already be done.
I was up til past 1AM one "school night" because I couldn't put it down - next day not so productive. It's one of those books I was sad to finish. Almost done with "Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close". Unusual story but I'm liking it.
GW - 7/19
Great Northern MOTM - 7/20-21
Hershey Labor Day Weekend Show - 8/29
MOTM - Oct 28

East Texas Parrothead
Last Man Standing

Okay ... Just a heads up ... David Baldacci's new book, THE INNOCENT, will seriously jack up your life. It's due April 17 ... got the advance readers copy and cannot put it down ... if you liked Robert Ludlum at his peak, I think you'd like this one.

*Update* Finished it just now. It's an honest-to-goodness thriller that grabs you by the throat and doesn't let go. Shazam! :o

Carolinadreamin'
Party at the End of the World
Favorite Buffett Song: Tin Cup Chalice
Number of Concerts: 42
Favorite Boat Drink: Painkiller

Post by Carolinadreamin' »

I just read The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. It's really a young adult novel but my 20 yr old daughter wants me to see the movie with her, which comes out on March 23. It's about a girl who lives in a post-apocalyptic country of Panem (where North America once was). The "Capitol" holds absolute power over the rest of the nation. The Hunger Games are an annual event in which one boy and one girl aged 12 to 18 from each of the 12 "districts" are selected by lottery to compete in an arena on TV in which only one person can survive.

It is a trilogy and was disturbing, violent, bloody and I couldn't put it down. Read all three books in 4 days......... :oops: :D
'17-CHS
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Pinot Noir in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO"

East Texas Parrothead
Last Man Standing

Carolinadreamin' wrote:I just read The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. It's really a young adult novel but my 20 yr old daughter wants me to see the movie with her, which comes out on March 23. It's about a girl who lives in a post-apocalyptic country of Panem (where North America once was). The "Capitol" holds absolute power over the rest of the nation. The Hunger Games are an annual event in which one boy and one girl aged 12 to 18 from each of the 12 "districts" are selected by lottery to compete in an arena on TV in which only one person can survive.

It is a trilogy and was disturbing, violent, bloody and I couldn't put it down. Read all three books in 4 days......... :oops: :D
Loved them. I read them over a weekend. Could NOT put them down. I've seen the movie trailers and they're stunning.

Skibo
Hoot!

Post by Skibo »

in 1941, the United States Marine Corps—the last all-white branch of the U.S. military—was forced to begin recruiting and enlisting African Americans and it was about freaking time. Very interesting read full of interview transcripts.

Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

Skibo wrote:in 1941, the United States Marine Corps—the last all-white branch of the U.S. military—was forced to begin recruiting and enlisting African Americans and it was about freaking time. Very interesting read full of interview transcripts.

Thanks for posting. Never knew much about Montford Point even though I pass by there quite frequently when driving through Jacksonhell, NC.

East Texas Parrothead
Last Man Standing

Pocket Kings by Ted Heller. I hated the way it started. Liked the middle. Hated the ending. Weird, weird read. :D

http://www.amazon.com/Pocket-Kings-Ted- ... 127&sr=1-1

Finally finished David Brooks THE SOCIAL ANIMAL. Took me two years.

Read BORN ON A BLUE DAY by Daniel Tammet, the savant who recited pi to the 22,000 level by memory several years back and has been the subject of several documentaries and a recent ABC special. Very, very interesting and totally sweet.

Skibo
Hoot!

Post by Skibo »

I don't normally read biographies on women, but the review in the WSJ moved me. Very interesting so far.

BahamaBreeze
At the Bama Breeze
Number of Concerts: 20
Favorite Boat Drink: Shots of good tequila

Post by BahamaBreeze »

Carolinadreamin' wrote:I just read The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. It's really a young adult novel but my 20 yr old daughter wants me to see the movie with her, which comes out on March 23. It's about a girl who lives in a post-apocalyptic country of Panem (where North America once was). The "Capitol" holds absolute power over the rest of the nation. The Hunger Games are an annual event in which one boy and one girl aged 12 to 18 from each of the 12 "districts" are selected by lottery to compete in an arena on TV in which only one person can survive.

Reading the first one now. I hope the movie is as fun as the book!!