My choir director: a bigot ?

In this forum you can discuss anything from sports, news, or what ever is on your mind.

Moderators: SMLCHNG, Saltx3

12vmanRick
Here We Are
Favorite Buffett Song: Pacing the Cage
Number of Concerts: 50
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum

Post by 12vmanRick »

Religion is in the hands of some crazy ass people
When they run you out of town make it look like you are leading the parade.

sunseeker
Woman going crazy on Caroline street
Woman going crazy on Caroline street
Favorite Buffett Song: one particular harbour
Number of Concerts: 15
Favorite Boat Drink: mojito

Post by sunseeker »

see my rant about stupid people from earlier.....one day...us smart people will be extinct...stupid people ...all they do is BREED..
There's this one particular harbor.....

citcat
On a Salty Piece of Land
Favorite Buffett Song: Pirate Looks at 40
Number of Concerts: 10
Favorite Boat Drink: margarita

Post by citcat »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Do not resent growing old. Many are denied the privilege.

SchoolGirlHeart
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by SchoolGirlHeart »

AlbatrossFlyer wrote:instead of ragging on the choir director, this sounds like an issue you should take the church's governing board....
I agree. Bigots have no place in leadership positions. If he blew off a job he was paid to do, without a viable reason, he should be removed.

Of course, if he had any integrity, he would have already resigned in protest, since he has such a big issue with the way the church runs things.....
Carry on as you know they would want you to do. ~~JB, dedication to Tim Russert

Take your time
Find your passion
Life goes on until it ends
Don’t stop living
Until then

~~Mac McAnally

LIPH
Last Man Standing
Favorite Boat Drink: my next beer, as long as it's not Blandshark

Post by LIPH »

Women belong in the kitchen, but I would let them wear shoes. j/k before anyone goes medieval on my a$$
what I really mean . . . I wish you were here

AlbatrossFlyer
Schoolboy heart & a license to fly

Post by AlbatrossFlyer »

SchoolGirlHeart wrote:
AlbatrossFlyer wrote:instead of ragging on the choir director, this sounds like an issue you should take the church's governing board....
I agree. Bigots have no place in leadership positions. If he blew off a job he was paid to do, without a viable reason, he should be removed.

Of course, if he had any integrity, he would have already resigned in protest, since he has such a big issue with the way the church runs things.....
there's always room in the catholic church for guys like this.

Tequila Revenge
Lester Polyester
Favorite Boat Drink: cubra libre

Post by Tequila Revenge »

AlbatrossFlyer wrote:
SchoolGirlHeart wrote:

OUCH!!! FOUL!!! FOUL!!!

There's plenty of narrow minded pin heads out there. No reason to single out the Catholic Church. I know there's PLENTY of others that believe the same way as this guy. No reason to throw rocks because of some bad folks.

OK, time to put that soap box away one more time :-?
got to stop wishin' got to start fishin'....

SchoolGirlHeart
Last Man Standing

Tequila Revenge wrote:
AlbatrossFlyer wrote:
SchoolGirlHeart wrote:

OUCH!!! FOUL!!! FOUL!!!

There's plenty of narrow minded pin heads out there. No reason to single out the Catholic Church. I know there's PLENTY of others that believe the same way as this guy. No reason to throw rocks because of some bad folks.

Um, really, I think it's more of a statement of fact..... the Catholic Church doesn't not allow ordination of women, and this choir director objects to female pastors....
Last edited by SchoolGirlHeart on July 17, 2006 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Take your time
Find your passion
Don’t stop living
Until then

~~Mac McAnally

Tequila Revenge
Lester Polyester
Favorite Boat Drink: cubra libre

Post by Tequila Revenge »

SchoolGirlHeart wrote:
Tequila Revenge wrote:
AlbatrossFlyer wrote:
SchoolGirlHeart wrote:

OUCH!!! FOUL!!! FOUL!!!

Um, really, I think it's more of a statement of fact..... the Catholic Church doesn not allow ordination of women, and this choir director objects to female pastors....

Geezer Peezer :o Not being Catholic I looked right past that part of the argument. Sorry about that. My bad.
got to stop wishin' got to start fishin'....

land_shark3
Here We Are

Post by land_shark3 »

Ok, parts of this my rile people up, so after this post I'll stand back and enjoy the show.

While I'm all for a female clergy, I've yet to hear a decent woman preacher. :-?

However, here are some things you could use when you discuss this with whomever.

http://www.wayoflife.org/fbns/womenpreachers.htm
The Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) has 2,419 female leaders. In 1979 the United Presbyterian Church, forerunner of the Presbyterian Church U.S.A., adopted a resolution REQUIRING the congregations to elect women elders. This politically correct denomination also voted to ban the ordination of any man who opposed women clergy and gave such men 10 years to change their minds or get out (EP News Service, June 21, 1980).

What the Bible says FOR having women clergy - http://broadwayassembly.org/women.html

Although you may want to be prepared for this:
What the Bible says AGAINST having women clergy - http://www.rapidnet.com/~jbeard/bdm/Psy ... /women.htm
It's your world, I'm just living in it! :pirate:

SchoolGirlHeart
Last Man Standing

land_shark3 wrote:Ok, parts of this my rile people up, so after this post I'll stand back and enjoy the show.

While I'm all for a female clergy, I've yet to hear a decent woman preacher. :-?

However, here are some things you could use when you discuss this with whomever.

http://www.wayoflife.org/fbns/womenpreachers.htm
The Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) has 2,419 female leaders. In 1979 the United Presbyterian Church, forerunner of the Presbyterian Church U.S.A., adopted a resolution REQUIRING the congregations to elect women elders. This politically correct denomination also voted to ban the ordination of any man who opposed women clergy and gave such men 10 years to change their minds or get out (EP News Service, June 21, 1980).

What the Bible says FOR having women clergy - http://broadwayassembly.org/women.html

Although you may want to be prepared for this:
What the Bible says AGAINST having women clergy - http://www.rapidnet.com/~jbeard/bdm/Psy ... /women.htm
isolated verses from the Bible would also seem to support slavery, which I don't think anyone in their right mind would advocate.....

Take your time
Find your passion
Don’t stop living
Until then

~~Mac McAnally

AlbatrossFlyer
Schoolboy heart & a license to fly

Post by AlbatrossFlyer »

SchoolGirlHeart wrote:isolated verses from the Bible would also seem to support slavery, which I don't think anyone in their right mind would advocate.....
from the West Wing "Midterms" Episode

Dear Dr. Laura,
Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God's law. I have learned a great deal from you, and I try to share that knowledge with as many people as I can. When someone tries to defend homosexuality, for example, I will simply remind him or her that Leviticus 18:22 clearly states it to be an abomination. End of debate.
I do need some advice from you, however, regarding some of the other laws in Leviticus and Exodus and how to best follow them.

When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odor for the Lord (Leviticus 1:9). The problem is my neighbors. They claim the odor is not pleasing to them. How should I deal with this?
I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as stated in Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?
I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her period of menstrual uncleanliness (Leviticus 15:19-24). The problem is, how can I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offense.
Leviticus 25:44 states that I may buy slaves from the nations that are around us. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not Canadians. Can you clarify?
I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself?
A friend of mine says that even though eating shellfish is an abomination (Leviticus 10:10), it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I don't agree. Can you settle this?
Leviticus 20:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle room here?
I know you have studied these things extensively, so I am confident you can help. Thank you again for reminding us that God's Word is eternal and unchanging.

Quiet and Shy
On a Salty Piece of Land
Number of Concerts: 15

Post by Quiet and Shy »

CitCat...have you talked to any other choir members about this? I'd be curious as to their perspective.

Honestly, if the church has hired someone to come in and do a job I believe the other paid staff have an obligation to fulfill their responsibilities. He's out of step with the local chorch and the overarching organization (so it seems). I think the church governing body should be informed and he should at the least receive a warning and perhaps lose his salary for the time he was not there. He's made a committment and has an obligation, which he did not honor.

His option...take vacation during such a time...but just not showing up...not right.
"Reading departure signs in some big airport reminds me of the places I've been"

50 countries and territories, 46 states...so far

msu#1
Behind Door #3

Post by msu#1 »

I cant believe there are people who are Religous and hate others for no reason. :roll:

WW3 is about to break out because of people who cant live and let live. If only everyone the world was run by Beatles fans or parrotheads
Lake Erie Pirate scientist

frognot
At the Bama Breeze
Favorite Buffett Song: A Pirate Looks at 40
Number of Concerts: 10

Post by frognot »

land_shark3 wrote: While I'm all for a female clergy, I've yet to hear a decent woman preacher. :-?
I'm Methodist and we've got a whole buncha excellent preachers that are women.

land_shark3
Here We Are

Post by land_shark3 »

frognot wrote:
land_shark3 wrote: While I'm all for a female clergy, I've yet to hear a decent woman preacher. :-?
I'm Methodist and we've got a whole buncha excellent preachers that are women.
I'm Methodist as well and have had quiet a few come through the two churches I spent my first 22 years in. Still no luck in finding one that has been good.

Before I get attacked though, I have heard some bad male preachers as well, but I have heard good male preachers.
It's your world, I'm just living in it! :pirate:

SchoolGirlHeart
Last Man Standing

Citcat, people like your choir director are the reason I no longer attend church. Please feel free to pass that along to that "Christian" choir director of yours......
Last edited by SchoolGirlHeart on July 18, 2006 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Take your time
Find your passion
Don’t stop living
Until then

~~Mac McAnally

Prthd119
Diamond as Big as The Ritz

Post by Prthd119 »

A very dear friend of mine here attends a very small Baptist Church here...and recently a young black couple showed up..

When she went to the "Women's Group" on Wednesday night ...the main topic was "What are we going to do about this black couple that showed up at our church???"

She stood up....told them God loves all peoples..and that the church was full of hypocrites......but she would continue attending because "What better place for the hypocrites, than in Church"..

and walked out of the meeting..

She still attends services as she loves the preacher and the Praise and Worship portion (the band really rocks.. :lol: )...but she no longer goes to the Women's meeting on Wednesday...

"I know it's a shabby old building but after all ain't we God's children
And Lord it's a good place for hangin' out .."

Bubbaphan
License to Chill
Favorite Buffett Song: Tryin' to reason with the hurricane season.
Number of Concerts: 5
Favorite Boat Drink: MMMMM..Beer. Wait, is that really a boat drink?

Post by Bubbaphan »

I hate bigots.

(would that be considered oxymoronic?) :o
I'm a one-man band with no
Immediate plans...

SchoolGirlHeart
Last Man Standing

Prthd119 wrote:A very dear friend of mine here attends a very small Baptist Church here...and recently a young black couple showed up..

When she went to the "Women's Group" on Wednesday night ...the main topic was "What are we going to do about this black couple that showed up at our church???"

She stood up....told them God loves all peoples..and that the church was full of hypocrites......but she would continue attending because "What better place for the hypocrites, than in Church"..

and walked out of the meeting..

She still attends services as she loves the preacher and the Praise and Worship portion (the band really rocks.. :lol: )...but she no longer goes to the Women's meeting on Wednesday...
Good for her!

I think the bigots of the world, especially the religious bigots, are gonna have some 'splainin' to do when they meet up with St Peter.....

Take your time
Find your passion
Don’t stop living
Until then

~~Mac McAnally