Abreu to the Yankees

In this forum you can discuss anything from sports, news, or what ever is on your mind.

Moderators: SMLCHNG, Saltx3

jonesbeach10
Here We Are
Posts: 9835
Joined: March 24, 2005 10:22 am
Favorite Buffett Song: Weather is Here Wish You Were Beautiful
Number of Concerts: 9
Location: Living with my feet in DC and my head in the cool blue north

Post by jonesbeach10 »

BottleofRum wrote:
jonesbeach10 wrote:Hmmm....a look at tomorrow's linuep:
CF Damon
SS Jeter
DH Giambi
3B A-Rod
RF Abreu
C Posada
LF Melky Cabrera/Bernie Williams
1B Andy Phillips
2B Cairo


Possible lineup come September:
CF Damon
SS Jeter
3B A-Rod
1B Giambi
DH Sheffield
LF Matsui
RF Abreu
C Posada
2B Cano

I'm liking the trade. He leads the league in OBP (which is about 10x as important as BA) and I don't think he has to hit HRs to be productive, although Tino Martinez thinks that he could very well have a resurgence with the short porch in right.
They guy has been playing baseball in a softball field all season and he only has 8HR's. He will be getting bood by Labor Day.
The Yankees don't need the power as much as they need his .427 OBP

Sometimes more than others,
we see who and what and where we are,
I'm just a one man band,
With my feet in the sand,
Tonight I just need my guitar

BottleofRum
Chewin' on a Honeysuckle Vine
Posts: 6834
Joined: August 8, 2001 8:00 pm
Favorite Buffett Song: He Went to Paris: It's My Job
Favorite Boat Drink: Barbancourt Rhum
Location: Amherst, MA

Post by BottleofRum »

jonesbeach10 wrote:
BottleofRum wrote:
NYCPORT wrote:All you Sox fans need to get a clue. If your boy wonder had made this trade you'd be doing your "we win the world series once every 86 years" dance. We trump you (as usual) and all you come up with is $15 million. :roll:

Save it!

Your all a bunch of loosers! :P

Trump us again :roll: . Yup sure you did.. Just like you did with ARod, Contrass, Pavano, Embree.... how did those 'trumps' work out for you?
Now wait a second. Let me propose something to you. Would you take a third baseman who's hitting .280 with 22 HRs, 74 RBIs, 73 runs, .386 OBP, and a .573 SLG? I know Lowell has exceeded expectations and has been a very serviceable 3B in Boston but I'd still take A-Rod.

Given A-Rod isn't going to win MVP this year, but by the end of the year he's still going to end up with 35-40 HRs and over 100 RBIs and runs scored. I don't know what more to expect from him, other than a few less errors, and I don't know why he gets booed. If he was playing like Giambi was last year after "losing 4 pounds by not eating fast food" then they would have a point.



I'm sorry that I'm one of the last Yankee fans still cheering the guy on.
The point isn't comparing ARod to Lowell. The point was NY got ARod 3 year's ago when the Red Sox wanted him so the Sox were trumped by the Yankees. Same with Pavano, Contrass and Loiazza. For the record since getting ARod the Yankees have exited the playoffs early and earlier every year.

I was responding to the foolish thinking that the Yankees out-trumped Boston again, which is funny in itself when you consider how many players NY got that Boston wanted.
- - “If it doesn't work out there will never be any doubt that the pleasure was worth all the pain.”

jonesbeach10
Here We Are
Posts: 9835
Joined: March 24, 2005 10:22 am
Favorite Buffett Song: Weather is Here Wish You Were Beautiful
Number of Concerts: 9
Location: Living with my feet in DC and my head in the cool blue north

Post by jonesbeach10 »

BottleofRum wrote:
jonesbeach10 wrote:
BottleofRum wrote:
NYCPORT wrote:All you Sox fans need to get a clue. If your boy wonder had made this trade you'd be doing your "we win the world series once every 86 years" dance. We trump you (as usual) and all you come up with is $15 million. :roll:

Save it!

Your all a bunch of loosers! :P

Trump us again :roll: . Yup sure you did.. Just like you did with ARod, Contrass, Pavano, Embree.... how did those 'trumps' work out for you?
Now wait a second. Let me propose something to you. Would you take a third baseman who's hitting .280 with 22 HRs, 74 RBIs, 73 runs, .386 OBP, and a .573 SLG? I know Lowell has exceeded expectations and has been a very serviceable 3B in Boston but I'd still take A-Rod.

Given A-Rod isn't going to win MVP this year, but by the end of the year he's still going to end up with 35-40 HRs and over 100 RBIs and runs scored. I don't know what more to expect from him, other than a few less errors, and I don't know why he gets booed. If he was playing like Giambi was last year after "losing 4 pounds by not eating fast food" then they would have a point.



I'm sorry that I'm one of the last Yankee fans still cheering the guy on.
The point isn't comparing ARod to Lowell. The point was NY got ARod 3 year's ago when the Red Sox wanted him so the Sox were trumped by the Yankees. Same with Pavano, Contrass and Loiazza. For the record since getting ARod the Yankees have exited the playoffs early and earlier every year.

I was responding to the foolish thinking that the Yankees out-trumped Boston again, which is funny in itself when you consider how many players NY got that Boston wanted.
Perhaps I should rephrase because I didn't mean to compare Lowell to A-Rod either. Would you take a hitter with the numbers that A-Rod has put up this year, any position?

I don't think it's A-Rod's fault that they haven't been as successful.
More likely it's been a lack of pitching.

Personally IMHO, I think it's the contract. Unless he's hitting .400 with 80 HRs (all coming in the clutch) with 250 RBIs, he isn't living up to some fans' expectations.

I guess with Abreu, only time will tell.

Sometimes more than others,
we see who and what and where we are,
I'm just a one man band,
With my feet in the sand,
Tonight I just need my guitar

Wino you know
God's Own Drunk
Posts: 21467
Joined: February 5, 2002 7:00 pm
Favorite Buffett Song: Far Side of the World & Somewhere Over China
Number of Concerts: 105
Favorite Boat Drink: Beaujalais Villages French Burgundy
Location: Plowin' straight ahead, come what may

Post by Wino you know »

As soon as I heard the news, I couldn't WAIT to get home and read the predictable postings from the predictable people. 8)

The more people b|tch about how much money the Yankees pay their players, the more I love this trade.
HELL, I hope they go after Miguel Tejada AND Greg Maddux.
I hope they pay them each $30,000,000.00 too. :lol: :lol: :lol:

So would you guys all like the Yankees any better if the entire team were making $5.15 per hour? :roll:

st.somewhere
<font color=blue>spinnin'around in circles</font>
Posts: 4118
Joined: August 13, 2001 8:00 pm
Favorite Buffett Song: Way to many to pick from...
Number of Concerts: 53
Favorite Boat Drink: Captain'-n-Coke w/Lime
Location: Stranded on a sandbar...

Post by st.somewhere »

Yeah, I'd take A-Rod too... Oh, s***. You forgot to mention that it'll cost me $25,000,000 per season. Nah, you can keep him. :lol:

st.somewhere
<font color=blue>spinnin'around in circles</font>
Posts: 4118
Joined: August 13, 2001 8:00 pm
Favorite Buffett Song: Way to many to pick from...
Number of Concerts: 53
Favorite Boat Drink: Captain'-n-Coke w/Lime
Location: Stranded on a sandbar...

Post by st.somewhere »

Wino you know wrote:As soon as I heard the news, I couldn't WAIT to get home and read the predictable postings from the predictable people. 8)

The more people b|tch about how much money the Yankees pay their players, the more I love this trade.
HELL, I hope they go after Miguel Tejada AND Greg Maddux.
I hope they pay them each $30,000,000.00 too. :lol: :lol: :lol:

So would you guys all like the Yankees any better if the entire team were making $5.15 per hour? :roll:
Ummm... Yeah. :wink:

CaptainP
Last Man Standing
Posts: 33040
Joined: April 12, 2003 12:16 pm
Favorite Buffett Song: OPH
Number of Concerts: 39
Favorite Boat Drink: Delicious Trappist Ales
Location: The Far Side Of The Living Room

Post by CaptainP »

Great. Another Yankees vs. Red Sox thread.

Guess arguing with each other in the "2006 Baseball Thread" isn't enough?


Not sure which group is worse, the "Yankees have a God-Given right to every baseball player on the planet" fans, or the "Red Sox are better because they are cheaper" fans.

NYCPORT
Minister of Entertainment
Posts: 6109
Joined: August 28, 2001 8:00 pm
Favorite Buffett Song: Cowboy In The Jungle
Number of Concerts: 86
Favorite Boat Drink: Yes please...
Location: Shallow end of the gene pool

Post by NYCPORT »

st.somewhere wrote:Yeah, I'd take A-Rod too... Oh, s***. You forgot to mention that it'll cost me $25,000,000 per season. Nah, you can keep him. :lol:
Dear clueless in Boston,

The Yankees pay $8 million of A-Rod's $25 million salary. The Rangers pick up the rest of the tab. Making A-Rod one the Yankees best values! :P
You may return to your 84 year wait...
Image

I'm back to livin' Floridays
Blue skies and ultra-violet rays
Lookin' for better days, lookin' for better days
Lookin' for Floridays

27 - 8

RAGTOP
Behind Door #3
Posts: 3841
Joined: May 10, 2001 8:00 pm
Number of Concerts: 0
Location: BOSTON

Post by RAGTOP »

CaptainP wrote:Great. Another Yankees vs. Red Sox thread.

Guess arguing with each other in the "2006 Baseball Thread" isn't enough?


Not sure which group is worse, the "Yankees have a God-Given right to every baseball player on the planet" fans, or the "Red Sox are better because they are cheaper" fans.
Jealous? :D

RAGTOP
Behind Door #3
Posts: 3841
Joined: May 10, 2001 8:00 pm
Number of Concerts: 0
Location: BOSTON

Post by RAGTOP »

Wino you know wrote:As soon as I heard the news, I couldn't WAIT to get home and read the predictable postings from the predictable people. 8)

The more people b|tch about how much money the Yankees pay their players, the more I love this trade.
HELL, I hope they go after Miguel Tejada AND Greg Maddux.
I hope they pay them each $30,000,000.00 too. :lol: :lol: :lol:

So would you guys all like the Yankees any better if the entire team were making $5.15 per hour? :roll:
We just think that it is funny that the Yanks payroll will someday be almost $100,000,000 more than any other team and they still won't win :lol:. If they were spending this money and winning I would be jealous... spending this money and still not taking the trophy home makes me laugh and laugh and laugh.

Skibo
Hoot!
Posts: 2592
Joined: July 3, 2006 6:14 pm

Post by Skibo »

Abreu is a stat guy that is all. He is not a clutch player. The trade enabled the phillies to drop a salary. Lidle is the key to the trade. He will help NY, phila will miss him. And yes, NY will be booing Abreu by Labor day. If you check his stats, he walks a lot, that is mostly because he is afraid to swing the bat. Also check out his performance late in the game. very few game winning RBI's and a ton of LOB's.

Unfortunately, the ownership in Phila is so bad that they could have a team stacked with hall of famers in their prime and they would still find a way to lose.

RAGTOP
Behind Door #3
Posts: 3841
Joined: May 10, 2001 8:00 pm
Number of Concerts: 0
Location: BOSTON

Post by RAGTOP »

Skibo wrote: Unfortunately, the ownership in Phila is so bad that they could have a team stacked with hall of famers in their prime and they would still find a way to lose.
ummm sounds like a team in NY I know :lol:

CaptainP
Last Man Standing
Posts: 33040
Joined: April 12, 2003 12:16 pm
Favorite Buffett Song: OPH
Number of Concerts: 39
Favorite Boat Drink: Delicious Trappist Ales
Location: The Far Side Of The Living Room

Post by CaptainP »

RAGTOP wrote:
CaptainP wrote:Great. Another Yankees vs. Red Sox thread.

Guess arguing with each other in the "2006 Baseball Thread" isn't enough?


Not sure which group is worse, the "Yankees have a God-Given right to every baseball player on the planet" fans, or the "Red Sox are better because they are cheaper" fans.
Jealous? :D
Nope. Just wondering why an overrated player like Abreu deserves his own thread outside of the Baseball thread.

st.somewhere
<font color=blue>spinnin'around in circles</font>
Posts: 4118
Joined: August 13, 2001 8:00 pm
Favorite Buffett Song: Way to many to pick from...
Number of Concerts: 53
Favorite Boat Drink: Captain'-n-Coke w/Lime
Location: Stranded on a sandbar...

Post by st.somewhere »

NYCPORT wrote:
st.somewhere wrote:Yeah, I'd take A-Rod too... Oh, s***. You forgot to mention that it'll cost me $25,000,000 per season. Nah, you can keep him. :lol:
Dear clueless in Boston,

The Yankees pay $8 million of A-Rod's $25 million salary. The Rangers pick up the rest of the tab. Making A-Rod one the Yankees best values! :P
You may return to your 84 year wait...
I honestly didn't know that, but tell me sumthin'... If all he's being paid by the Yankees is 8 million per season (all.... did I just say that...?), why the hell are your moronic brethen showering him with boos on nightly basis? :roll: :lol:

BottleofRum
Chewin' on a Honeysuckle Vine
Posts: 6834
Joined: August 8, 2001 8:00 pm
Favorite Buffett Song: He Went to Paris: It's My Job
Favorite Boat Drink: Barbancourt Rhum
Location: Amherst, MA

Post by BottleofRum »

CaptainP wrote:Great. Another Yankees vs. Red Sox thread.

Guess arguing with each other in the "2006 Baseball Thread" isn't enough?


Not sure which group is worse, the "Yankees have a God-Given right to every baseball player on the planet" fans, or the "Red Sox are better because they are cheaper" fans.

This thread was started by a Yankee fan :roll:
- - “If it doesn't work out there will never be any doubt that the pleasure was worth all the pain.”

BottleofRum
Chewin' on a Honeysuckle Vine
Posts: 6834
Joined: August 8, 2001 8:00 pm
Favorite Buffett Song: He Went to Paris: It's My Job
Favorite Boat Drink: Barbancourt Rhum
Location: Amherst, MA

Post by BottleofRum »

NYCPORT wrote:
st.somewhere wrote:Yeah, I'd take A-Rod too... Oh, s***. You forgot to mention that it'll cost me $25,000,000 per season. Nah, you can keep him. :lol:
Dear clueless in Boston,

The Yankees pay $8 million of A-Rod's $25 million salary. The Rangers pick up the rest of the tab. Making A-Rod one the Yankees best values! :P
You may return to your 84 year wait...
I didn't bring up anything about payroll but since someone did here are the correct numbers.

ARod's Contract
Texas pays a totalof 67M of his salaries from 2004 to 10: 3M in 2004, 6M in both 2005 and 2006, 7M in 2007, 8M in 2008, 7M in 2009 and 6M in 2010.rn

2006 Salary
$21,680,727 - 6,000,000 = $15,680,727 the Yankees are paying ARod or one million per error.

If this is how you do math I will be at the dealership by noon to buy that new BMW for $2,000 :D
- - “If it doesn't work out there will never be any doubt that the pleasure was worth all the pain.”

st.somewhere
<font color=blue>spinnin'around in circles</font>
Posts: 4118
Joined: August 13, 2001 8:00 pm
Favorite Buffett Song: Way to many to pick from...
Number of Concerts: 53
Favorite Boat Drink: Captain'-n-Coke w/Lime
Location: Stranded on a sandbar...

Post by st.somewhere »

BottleofRum wrote:If this is how you do math I will be at the dealership by noon to buy that new BMW for $2,000 :D
So, the Abreu trade has helped us confirm two things...

1) Matt is a shitty speller... (as well as a major looser) :wink:

2) He also sucks at math... :lol:

job41475
Under My Lone Palm
Posts: 5567
Joined: March 16, 2004 12:03 pm
Favorite Buffett Song: Tryin to Reason
Number of Concerts: 37
Favorite Boat Drink: Beer
Location: "I want to Thank the Good Lord for making me a Yankee" - Joe DiMaggio
Contact:

Post by job41475 »

CaptainP wrote:Great. Another Yankees vs. Red Sox thread.

Guess arguing with each other in the "2006 Baseball Thread" isn't enough?


Not sure which group is worse, the "Yankees have a God-Given right to every baseball player on the planet" fans, or the "Red Sox are better because they are cheaper" fans.
Exactly. No one enjoys arguing Yankee-Red Sox more than me but I guess I was crazy to think we could keep this on topic.

job41475
Under My Lone Palm
Posts: 5567
Joined: March 16, 2004 12:03 pm
Favorite Buffett Song: Tryin to Reason
Number of Concerts: 37
Favorite Boat Drink: Beer
Location: "I want to Thank the Good Lord for making me a Yankee" - Joe DiMaggio
Contact:

Post by job41475 »

BottleofRum wrote:
CaptainP wrote:Great. Another Yankees vs. Red Sox thread.

Guess arguing with each other in the "2006 Baseball Thread" isn't enough?


Not sure which group is worse, the "Yankees have a God-Given right to every baseball player on the planet" fans, or the "Red Sox are better because they are cheaper" fans.

This thread was started by a Yankee fan :roll:
However it was turned derogatory by a Red Sox fan. :lol:

Wino you know
God's Own Drunk
Posts: 21467
Joined: February 5, 2002 7:00 pm
Favorite Buffett Song: Far Side of the World & Somewhere Over China
Number of Concerts: 105
Favorite Boat Drink: Beaujalais Villages French Burgundy
Location: Plowin' straight ahead, come what may

Post by Wino you know »

RAGTOP wrote:We just think that it is funny that the Yanks payroll will someday be almost $100,000,000 more than any other team and they still won't win :lol:. If they were spending this money and winning I would be jealous... spending this money and still not taking the trophy home makes me laugh and laugh and laugh.
SO YA LIKE TO LAUGH, DO YA???
In that case, don't ever look at the CUBS payroll unless you have a couple of certified E.M.T.s standing by.

Post Reply