Leavin' On A Jet Plane

In this forum you can discuss anything from sports, news, or what ever is on your mind.

Moderators: SMLCHNG, Saltx3

Cubbie Bear
On a Salty Piece of Land
Favorite Buffett Song: Pirate/40
Number of Concerts: 31

Leavin' On A Jet Plane

Post by Cubbie Bear »

No not the John Denver song made popular by Peter, Paul and Mary.

I was listening to AWSCAAPC on the way to work and this song got me thinking, My Lovely lady

"Cause I don't want the thing that brings confusion
Where people recognize you on a plane"

When I used to travel a lot, from time to time I would see famous peeps. Who have you met (seen) in an airport???? Quick here are some of mine off the top of my head.

1987- Washington Bullets, whole team on my flight to Phoenix (or Denver)

1989- Philedelphia Flyers whole team on a flight from Buffalo to Washington, sat next to Bobby Clark

1989- Bishop Desmond Tutu-Buffalo Airport

1992- Danny Bonaduce and Chicago DJ Kevin Matthews in O'Hare

1993- Genevieve Gardner, designer from Trading Spaces in the Minneapolis airport

Too many baseball people to mention when traveling to and from winter meetings etc.

Whats your list
"Boat drinks, waitress we........nevermind"

He ain't wrong he's just different
but his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

ToplessRideFL
Changing Channels
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by ToplessRideFL »

I have looged many a miles flying to Port Somewhere and I have only had 2 celebrity sightings....

Jack Eckerd of Eckerd Drug fame... and Lanny Watkins the golfer.
MOST VALUABLE PLAYER OF BN FEUD VII

phjrsaunt
Social Buffettfly
Social Buffettfly
Favorite Buffett Song: Defying Gravity
Number of Concerts: 21
Favorite Boat Drink: coconut rum and...anything!

Post by phjrsaunt »

Haven't seen any famous people, but I HAVE been listening to that very album this morning!! What a coin-kee-dink! :lol:

My love is staying an anchor tied to you with that silver chain.

CaptainP
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: OPH
Number of Concerts: 39
Favorite Boat Drink: Delicious Trappist Ales

Post by CaptainP »

Never on a plane, but I do have a huge backlog of celebrity-meeting stories from other places.

jimsig
Overkill
Number of Concerts: 25

Post by jimsig »

Been on the same flights as a few celebs.

First one was Bobby Orr from BOS to LGA. My dad had known him while he was playing for the Bruins, my dad was friends with the Adams family who owned the Bruins at the time. We talked to him in the airport for a while before the flight, he actually remembered me from when I was a kid. We were flying the Eastern Shuttle so it was unassigned seating, we were already seated when Bobby and his wife sat in front of us. He kept talking to us the whole flight. Then, while in LGA we saw the late author George Plympton in line at security.

Then in 2004 from Vegas to BOS Steven Wright was in last row of First Class and we sat in row right behind and across the aisle. The flight took place during the Red/Sox Yankees series and the game started while we were in the air. When the Sox scored it was funny to see his out of character reaction, he was clapping and smiling and of course he was wearing a Red Sox hat.

Also been on the same flight with Tom Hamilton from Aerosmith and his family from DC to BOS and Bill Russell from Orlando To Raleigh/Durham. I have also flown between Gainesville, Fla and both ATL and CLT with some NHRA Drag Racers and crew chiefs including John Force and Morgan Lucas around the time of the Gatornationals in March.
Jim

ejr
On a Salty Piece of Land

Post by ejr »

seen Bryant Gumbel and Art Linkletter (not together :lol: ) and some others I cannot remember.

Also was on a flight, and had champagne with Ernie Banks on my birthday many years ago!
"I finally know what Michael Jordan was talking about when he said he was 'in the zone'"
Jimmy Buffett, 9/4/05, Wrigley Field

Cubbie Bear
On a Salty Piece of Land

Post by Cubbie Bear »

ejr wrote:seen Bryant Gumbel and Art Linkletter (not together :lol: ) and some others I cannot remember.

Also was on a flight, and had champagne with Ernie Banks on my birthday many years ago!
Cool on the Ernie 8)

Just remembered, Bob Costas in Toronto Airport. He had been at our ballpark in Chattanooga the year before and he treated me like a "long lost friend" people where looking at me like I was some kind of a big-shot after that

RinglingRingling
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: Glory Days
Favorite Boat Drink: Landshark, and Margaritaville products...

Post by RinglingRingling »

Cubbie Bear wrote:
ejr wrote:seen Bryant Gumbel and Art Linkletter (not together :lol: ) and some others I cannot remember.

Cool on the Ernie 8)

Just remembered, Bob Costas in Toronto Airport. He had been at our ballpark in Chattanooga the year before and he treated me like a "long lost friend" people where looking at me like I was some kind of a big-shot after that
you know... St. Norma and the kids do that every day. :)

Cubbie Bear
On a Salty Piece of Land

Post by Cubbie Bear »

RinglingRingling wrote:
Cubbie Bear wrote:

Cool on the Ernie 8)

I am the King of my world :roll:

spendingmoney
We are the People our Parents Warned us
Favorite Buffett Song: Banana Repulics
Number of Concerts: 1
Favorite Boat Drink: Anything New Glarus

Post by spendingmoney »

I've only flown 9 or 10 times but while waiting for a flight in Cincy I ate lunch next to Chris Collingsworth...does he count as famous :wink:

RinglingRingling
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: Glory Days
Favorite Boat Drink: Landshark, and Margaritaville products...

Post by RinglingRingling »

Cubbie Bear wrote:
RinglingRingling wrote:
Cubbie Bear wrote:

Cool on the Ernie 8)

I am the King of my world :roll:
and how small it would be without them. :)

jackiesic
Hoot!
Number of Concerts: 13
Favorite Boat Drink: Margarita with Salt
Location: "Surf's Up! Surf City, New Jersey! Let's Go!" Jimmy Buffett 6-14-08 Philly Con

Post by jackiesic »

ToplessRideFL wrote:I have looged many a miles flying to Port Somewhere and I have only had 2 celebrity sightings....

And how in the world did you recognize Jack Eckerd??????????
I can only think of one. Met Jack Klugman in an elevator in Louisville. He was an a$$.
Last edited by jackiesic on July 31, 2006 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jackie
~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~

jackiesic
Hoot!
Number of Concerts: 13
Favorite Boat Drink: Margarita with Salt
Location: "Surf's Up! Surf City, New Jersey! Let's Go!" Jimmy Buffett 6-14-08 Philly Con

Post by jackiesic »

spendingmoney wrote:I've only flown 9 or 10 times but while waiting for a flight in Cincy I ate lunch next to Chris Collingsworth...does he count as famous :wink:
I'll count him :-)
I sat next to him at a banquet when I was about 20 years old. Gosh, I loved him! <swoon>
Jackie
~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~

Skibo
Hoot!

Post by Skibo »

Samuel Jackson on a flight shortly after the 911 thing. and yes the ladies at gate security insisted that his ticket was randomly chosen for additional search.

ToplessRideFL
Changing Channels

Post by ToplessRideFL »

jackiesic wrote:
ToplessRideFL wrote:I have looged many a miles flying to Port Somewhere and I have only had 2 celebrity sightings....

And how in the world did you recognize Jack Eckerd??????????
I can only think of one. Met Jack Klugman in an elevator in Louisville. He was an a$$.
He sat next to me on a flight from Tampa to Chicago. He was running for govenor. I lived in Clearwater...so did he.... so quite a "local" celebrity....
This was in Oct 1984. My daughter was 1 month old.... I had her all dressed in pink.... He sat next to me and said... Oh what a cute little boy. :roll: Isaid.... with all due respect Mr Eckerd.. if you are running for office...you need to pick up on the subtle hints...... 8) He sorta looked at me...and I said... SHE IS WEARING PINK!!! :roll:
MOST VALUABLE PLAYER OF BN FEUD VII

txaggirl91
Diamond as Big as The Ritz
Number of Concerts: 30

Post by txaggirl91 »

on a flight to calgary - marty roberts (sountry) and his band were on my flight...

on a flight to orlando - sherman hemsley (mr jefferson) was on the flight. i felt sorry for him beacuse people were harassing him the entire flight for autographs and things like that..

i got stuck in LAX for 10 hours (ice storm in dallas and austin which shut down most of american's flights) so i bought a pass to the American President Club (or what ever they call it). during my time there:

Starr Jones sat down next to me and talked to Oprah
the stuff news guy from Murphy Brown (can't remember his name) bought me a drink
harvey firestein (sp) - the guy who played robin willimas brother in mrs. doubtfire - sat down next to me.

and i overheard a very interesting conversation between the producer of the soul train awards and one of his assistants. some star wanted 10 limos for them and their crew. they were having problems finding them and the star was threatening not to show (i think a performer). the producer said "i don't care who you have to pay or who you have to sleep with... find those limos!
I must be wishing on someone else's star....

Quiet and Shy
On a Salty Piece of Land
Number of Concerts: 15

Post by Quiet and Shy »

My last trip through LAX...outside the international terminal, Rob Reiner was directing a film scene...didn't recognize any of the actors.
"Reading departure signs in some big airport reminds me of the places I've been"

50 countries and territories, 46 states...so far

Lightning Bolt
Party at the End of the World
Favorite Buffett Song: Tryin To Reason...
Number of Concerts: 17
Location: Mt. Helix looking east to the future, west to this sunset

Post by Lightning Bolt »

While waiting for a flight in Reno, I pull up to the bar and Peter Graves (Airplane, Unsolved Mysteries) is sitting next to me.
He was very cool, and unpretentious.

I had to resist asking him about gladiator movies... :o :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:
$#@&...only Vegas again?? Padres ...gotta start believin'!Bring on '14 Spring Training!

SMLCHNG
Favorite Buffett Song: Tin Cup Chalice/Lovely Cruise
Number of Concerts: 20
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum Runner

Post by SMLCHNG »

Nobody.

But I did stay at a Holiday Inn once. ;)

Elrod
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 37

Post by Elrod »

1980 - Governor Bill Clinton. I was in First Class and he was in coach on an AA flight from St. Louis to LaGuardia.

I saw John Goodman and Michael Spinks several times in the St. Louis airport. (The former champ supervised a janitorial crew.)

Peter Jennings let me go in front of him at the security checkpoint at DIA in February last year.