Finally after 9 months of agony...(Update)

In this forum you can discuss anything from sports, news, or what ever is on your mind.

Moderators: SMLCHNG, Saltx3

BilltheLizard
Fruitcake
Favorite Buffett Song: First Look
Number of Concerts: 6
Favorite Boat Drink: TsingTao

Post by BilltheLizard »

Quiet and Shy wrote:
BilltheLizard wrote:
OceanCityGirl wrote:do you mind me asking what this job is? I have a daughter who is going to be graduating soon with a bio/chem degree. She has begun having an interest in environmental science. I've been a bit negative on it as I assume it is low paying without alot of advancement.
I don't mind at all. The basics of the job entail assisting developers and private citizens with acquiring environmental permits to build. However, it is my job to make sure that they are not impacting on any environmentally sensitive areas or endangered/protected species. If they are going to impact these areas or species then certain types of conditions need to be adhered too. An example will be that if they are impacting on a wetland they will need to improve the conditions of an adjacent one. Ideally we try to work with them to avoid any kind of impact, but sometimes that is unavoidable and specific permits and conditions must be met.

Hope that answers your main question. In regards to pay, it varies between working for government vs. private industry. Advancement also varies depending on the institution and masters degree if she chooses that route. However, I will say that my wife the keets and I shouldn't have much trouble spending a couple of weeks in Hawaii in about a year and NOT have to put it on credit. :D
Wow...you're just like the behind-the-scenes guy in "Hoot" who needs to make sure the pancake house is built in the right place! :D

Congrats. That sound like a very interesting and meaningful job. Do let us know how the first day (and first month) go! :D
I will most definitely keep everyone informed how my first month goes.

And yes it will be very cool to be the one to protect the owls, sea turtles, and varies other wonderful species from development.

Meaningful job, you said it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D
I've got coastal confessions and a few more, how about you?

nutmeg
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: Barefoot Children (this week)
Number of Concerts: 10

Post by nutmeg »

woo hooo
Friends Walk Together in Life's Garden
ImageImageImage
http://heartofmichiganrescue.com/

comtnfish
I've got nomad feet & wandering toes
Number of Concerts: 42

Post by comtnfish »

Congratulations!!

"Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing." - Helen Keller

You can dream a dream, and make it true, now what are ya gonna do?

saltshaker1
Inactive User
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by saltshaker1 »

CONGRATS BILL!!!! :D
THE ONLY GYPSY IN THE PALACE

flipflopgirl
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 53
Favorite Boat Drink: Z-Man's MANGO THINGIES!!!!!
Location: I have been promoted from John Frinzi's stalker to ROADIE!!!! :)

Post by flipflopgirl »

Congrats Bill and welcome back!!!!

WOOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D
Image "While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats." Mark Twain

aeroparrot
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 42

Post by aeroparrot »

Congrats. I know how you feel with unemployment. I went a year without having a job (twice).
If you want an experience, go to a Jimmy Buffett concert.

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Life is short, live long!!

I'd rather be a wiseass than a dumbass.

PHAW Webmistress
Parrothead Pimpette

Post by PHAW Webmistress »

Congrats Bill both on the Job and the Job you'll be doing :-)

ragtopW
Last Man Standing

Post by ragtopW »

go Bill!!

BilltheLizard
Fruitcake

Post by BilltheLizard »

Thank you everyone for all your encouragement.

It really is true there are some extremely wonderful caring phriends here. :D

BilltheLizard
Fruitcake

Post by BilltheLizard »

1st WEEK UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Started the new environmental job Wednesday, Feb. 28th. The position is with Collier County in SW Florida. Even though it is just the first few days, our department has a real family feel to it. Alot of sharing and laughing. Let's just say "I have found me a home."

Only down side is it takes me about an hour to get to work and just about 2 HOURS to get home. :-? This should lighten up some when the snowbirds head back home.

With three hours in the car each day it gives me a chance to listen to plenty of Buffett and I am going to try to learn Mandarin with cd's.

Anyway things are great and the learning curve is easily within my capabilities.

It's nice to be part of saving the planet. :D

flipflopgirl
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 53
Favorite Boat Drink: Z-Man's MANGO THINGIES!!!!!
Location: I have been promoted from John Frinzi's stalker to ROADIE!!!! :)

Post by flipflopgirl »

BilltheLizard wrote:1st WEEK UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Started the new environmental job Wednesday, Feb. 28th. The position is with Collier County in SW Florida. Even though it is just the first few days, our department has a real family feel to it. Alot of sharing and laughing. Let's just say "I have found me a home."

Only down side is it takes me about an hour to get to work and just about 2 HOURS to get home. :-? This should lighten up some when the snowbirds head back home.

With three hours in the car each day it gives me a chance to listen to plenty of Buffett and I am going to try to learn Mandarin with cd's.

Anyway things are great and the learning curve is easily within my capabilities.

Great for you Bill! With all the time we spend working in our lives it should be enjoyabel! sounds like this job was worth the wait!(sorry the wait was so long :( ) but it sounds like this is a great place for you! :D
Image "While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats." Mark Twain

MacPhin
Behind Door #3
Favorite Buffett Song: Anything BUT Cheeseburger
Favorite Boat Drink: PainKiller

Post by MacPhin »

The basics of the job entail assisting developers and private citizens with acquiring environmental permits to build. However, it is my job to make sure that they are not impacting on any environmentally sensitive areas or endangered/protected species. If they are going to impact these areas or species then certain types of conditions need to be adhered too. An example will be that if they are impacting on a wetland they will need to improve the conditions of an adjacent one. Ideally we try to work with them to avoid any kind of impact, but sometimes that is unavoidable and specific permits and conditions must be met..

bill, sounds great. good for you. i just interviewed for a job just like this here in massachusetts. the negative side is that you have to deal with people who get turned down for their permits. conservation is often a love hate thing with people. :wink:
Image Image
JB on Anguilla 3/24/07 St.Barth's 11/7/09

Lately,newspaper mentioned cheap airfare.
I've got to fly to Saint Somewhere.
I'm close to bodily harm.

BilltheLizard
Fruitcake

Post by BilltheLizard »

flipflopgirl wrote:
BilltheLizard wrote:1st WEEK UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great for you Bill! With all the time we spend working in our lives it should be enjoyabel! sounds like this job was worth the wait!(sorry the wait was so long :( ) but it sounds like this is a great place for you! :D
The wait time was most definitely a humbling experience. It's not alot of fun wonder how to make each months mortgage, utility, and phone payments. Fortunately I have loving and caring parents who were able help out through the long tough times, in addition to the side jobs and substitute teaching.

It has given me a much greater appreciation for the simplier things in life. :D

BilltheLizard
Fruitcake

Post by BilltheLizard »

MacPhin wrote:
bill, sounds great. good for you. i just interviewed for a job just like this here in massachusetts. the negative side is that you have to deal with people who get turned down for their permits. conservation is often a love hate thing with people. :wink:
Love it when they are walking through a beautiful nature park, hate it when they can't develop on their land because of a protected plant or species.

I think most possibly the biggest problem is ignorance. Many people either don't know or forget that one action here causes another reaction over there.

I expect at some point(s) to be yelled at, but I know and believe in what I am doing so I am prepared for the confrontation. Like I said it's mostly ignorance. Of course one of the other reasons for confrontation by the public is greed, but I am prepared for that as well. :D

Quiet and Shy
On a Salty Piece of Land
Number of Concerts: 15

Post by Quiet and Shy »

Thanks for the update, Bill. Sounds like you're off to a good start; that's great! :D

Ugh on the commute but wow :o on the Mandarin!

And on the ignorance and greed, as long as you learn your stuff and have your feet firmly planted on the ground, the statutes and regulations will have your back and I'm sure you'll do fine. The slowing real estate market should take off a bit of pressure, but no doubt you'll meet some real "class acts" along the way. Always remember you're doing good and important work.
"Reading departure signs in some big airport reminds me of the places I've been"

50 countries and territories, 46 states...so far

tikitatas
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 10

Post by tikitatas »

(((((((((((((((((Bill)))))))))))))))))))))))))))
Cate

"When you realize how perfect everything is you will tilt your head back and laugh at the sky." ~ Buddha

CandyLMT
I Love the Now!

Post by CandyLMT »

Congrats Bill! Glad the first week went well for you :D

I've got a long commute and I have been spending the time listening to books on CD.... the time passes by quickly.

I'm also counting the days until the snowbirds fly home again :-?