New Orleans: $77 Billion...Is this the right thing to do?

In this forum you can discuss anything from sports, news, or what ever is on your mind.

Moderators: SMLCHNG, Saltx3

Quiet and Shy
On a Salty Piece of Land
Number of Concerts: 15

New Orleans: $77 Billion...Is this the right thing to do?

Post by Quiet and Shy »

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/03/03/katrin ... index.html

Mayor: New Orleans 'piled it on' for $77 billion lawsuit
POSTED: 1:42 p.m. EST, March 3, 2007

NEW ORLEANS, Louisiana (AP) -- Only $1 billion of the $77 billion the city is seeking from the Army Corps of Engineers is for infrastructure damages it says it suffered because of levee breaches during Hurricane Katrina. The rest is for such things as the city's tarnished image and tourist industry losses.

The city "looked at everything and just kind of piled it on," Mayor Ray Nagin said.

"We got some advice from some attorneys to be aggressive with the number, and we'll see what happens," he said.

New Orleans has joined big business and thousands of homeowners in filing claims seeking compensation from the corps for damages sustained when the levees broke during the 2005 storm, flooding 80 percent of the city.

The claims allege poor design and negligence by the corps led to the failure of flood walls and levees.

The city attorney's office also considered such things as "decreases in the city's image, tourist industry activity and potential business industry, losses in the tax base and generated revenue, and a decrease in the city's overall population," in making the assessment, according to a statement from City Hall.

A spokeswoman for the mayor could not explain how the city quantified losses not tied to infrastructure. A 43-page form filed with the corps, reserving the city's right to sue for $77 billion, also provides little insight. It does not quantify "loss of tax revenue," for example, and supporting documents for city-owned properties, such as a police crime lab and libraries, omit any estimates of property values of flood-related damages, The Times-Picayune newspaper reported Saturday.

Personally, I'm astounded and very disappointed to see this. I wonder who the lawyers were that recommended this approach? And is this recommendation just based on the lawyers' hope to make more money?

This isn't what leadership should be about; there's just no integrity here. It's sets a horrible example by implying that "others are responsible" for anything that goes wrong, lawsuits are the answer, and entitlement is a right. Sure the Army Corps of Engineers' levees failed, but a $77 billion lawsuit is rediculous.

I'm all for supporting and helping New Orleans to get back on its feet, but seeing the mayor choose to take this slimy route is pathetic and honestly just plain sad for the city. This is how the city will lose its soul....
"Reading departure signs in some big airport reminds me of the places I've been"

50 countries and territories, 46 states...so far

Gulfbreeze
On a Salty Piece of Land
Number of Concerts: 8

Re: New Orleans: $77 Billion...Is this the right thing to d

Post by Gulfbreeze »

Quiet and Shy wrote: A spokeswoman for the mayor could not explain how the city quantified losses not tied to infrastructure. Shocker :roll: A 43-page form filed with the corps, reserving the city's right to sue for $77 billion, also provides little insight. It does not quantify "loss of tax revenue," for example, and supporting documents for city-owned properties, such as a police crime lab and libraries, omit any estimates of property values of flood-related damages, The Times-Picayune newspaper reported Saturday.[/i]

Personally, I'm astounded and very disappointed to see this. I wonder who the lawyers were that recommended this approach? And is this recommendation just based on the lawyers' hope to make more money?

This isn't what leadership should be about; there's just no integrity here. Ray Nagin It's sets a horrible example by implying that "others are responsible" for anything that goes wrong, lawsuits are the answer, and entitlement is a right. Sure the Army Corps of Engineers' levees failed, but a $77 billion lawsuit is rediculous. Thank you...
I'm all for supporting and helping New Orleans to get back on its feet, but seeing the mayor choose to take this slimy route is pathetic and honestly just plain sad for the city. This is how the city will lose its soul....

chippewa
On a Salty Piece of Land

Post by chippewa »

It seems every time New Orleans has gained some sympathy and goodwill from the rest of the country,
Mayor Nagin opens his mouth and it's all gone. :-?

Triathlete-Parakeet2
Gypsies in the palace
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by Triathlete-Parakeet2 »

Fine, get Halliburton to do it. They could get 100 bil. :D

Wino you know
God's Own Drunk
Favorite Buffett Song: Far Side of the World & Somewhere Over China
Number of Concerts: 105
Favorite Boat Drink: Beaujalais Villages French Burgundy

Post by Wino you know »

chippewa wrote:It seems every time New Orleans has gained some sympathy and goodwill from the rest of the country,
Mayor Nagin opens his mouth and it's all gone. :-?
You're absolutely right on the money, Chippewa. I don't know where they found this "Something for nothing" fruitcake, but he's an absolute discredit to the city.