Life's Short, Get a Divorce

In this forum you can discuss anything from sports, news, or what ever is on your mind.

Moderator: SMLCHNG

Do you find the billboard offensive?

Yes, completely
9%
I'm offended by the money-grubbing lawyers
28%
No, there's nothing offensive about it
51%
Who cares about the message, nice eye candy!
12%

Total votes: 57

mjeischen
Under My Lone Palm
Favorite Buffett Song: Just one? . . . Bastards!
Number of Concerts: 8
Favorite Boat Drink: Cold Draft Beer and things with Sailor Jerry

Post by mjeischen »

I see nothing wrong with it. It is shocking but it makes you think. Are you Happy? Is this relationship right? It's up to the person to work it out but I hardly think this billboard just prompts people to march into this law office and drop caash for the service.

Nothing wrong with something thought provoking.
The Parrot Dice Lounge kinda like a mirage. Here today and gone tomorrow. You should stop by and say hello when visiting Chicago on tour.
AlbatrossFlyer
Schoolboy heart & a license to fly
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by AlbatrossFlyer »

remember the NDA slogan....

billboards don't cause divorce, people do.

I'd feel bad for you, but I have no soul.....

If you can't do it with brains, you won't do it with hours - Kelly Johnson
flyboy55
I Love the Now!
Number of Concerts: 3

Post by flyboy55 »

UAHparrothead wrote:This is just a sign of the times. Last fall Tennessee voted to ban same sex marriages and unions. Some of the churches put up signs proclaiming that one just vote for the ban to "Protect Marriage". I find it disheartening that these churches push so hard to ban sam sex unions and yet do nothing to help in the more than 50% divorce rate in the US. I am not against divorce it is necessary in some cases, but 1 out of 2 marriages ending in divorce is sad indeed.
wisdom.
moeron
License to Chill
Favorite Buffett Song: Boat Drinks.
Number of Concerts: 26
Favorite Boat Drink: Margarita's with good Tequila

Post by moeron »

25 Years!!!! Life is short, but then so is solitude.
I'd rather die while I'm Living, Than live while I'm dead!
ImageImage
kitty
On a Salty Piece of Land

Post by kitty »

ya know...I think it was pretty clever.
And if you think deeper into it...it may actually help people.
There are so many people walking through every day life miserable in their marraiges...cheating and treating each other badly....causing so much pain.
That bill board may just be the jolt some people need to examine their lives and hopefully make some changes that will improve the quality of both theirs and their spouses life. I would love to believe that people are married for life and take their vows seriously...but that is not reality...so why spend your life in misery?
OceanCityGirl
At the Bama Breeze
Favorite Buffett Song: Havana Daydreaming - today
Number of Concerts: 2
Favorite Boat Drink: Mojito

Post by OceanCityGirl »

I'm a strong supporter of life-long marriage. But I think it's funny and will get them clients. It's not going to convince people to get a divorce. However, it might actually get some of those folks on the edge in bad situations something to think about.
Navy Seals are Cooler then Pirates
You Can Dream Anyway, There's always next year!!!
Tiki Bar
Thank God the Tiki Torch Still Shines
Favorite Buffett Song: One Particular Harbour / Tin Cup Chalice medley!
Number of Concerts: 30
Favorite Boat Drink: Friends don't let friends drink tequila! Beer me!

Post by Tiki Bar »

kitty wrote:ya know...I think it was pretty clever.
There are so many people walking through every day life miserable in their marraiges...cheating and treating each other badly....causing so much pain.
That bill board may just be the jolt some people need to examine their lives and hopefully make some changes that will improve the quality of both theirs and their spouses life. I would love to believe that people are married for life and take their vows seriously...but that is not reality...so why spend your life in misery?
I agree.

It might just be the kick in the azz that some people need to pursue happiness rather than enduring days, months, and/or years of the pain and suffering of an unhappy, unhealthy relationship.

"The message really is that life is very, very short, and you need to be honest with yourself and have some personal integrity," said Fetman. "If you are unhappy, take some action and do something about it."
You’re still grinning, we’re still winning, nothing left to say
I’m still gliding as I go flying down this endless wave
Bubbaphan
License to Chill
Favorite Buffett Song: Tryin' to reason with the hurricane season.
Number of Concerts: 5
Favorite Boat Drink: MMMMM..Beer. Wait, is that really a boat drink?

Post by Bubbaphan »

Tiki Bar wrote:
I agree.

It might just be the kick in the azz that some people need to pursue happiness rather than enduring days, months, and/or years of the pain and suffering of an unhappy, unhealthy relationship.

"The message really is that life is very, very short, and you need to be honest with yourself and have some personal integrity," said Fetman. "If you are unhappy, take some action and do something about it."
I wonder if they have a local branch? [smilie=shake.gif] [smilie=graytard.gif]
I'm a one-man band with no
Immediate plans...
Indiana Jolly Mon
Half-baked cookies in the oven
Number of Concerts: 22
Favorite Boat Drink: Free and cold
Location: Don't know, and Ill be damned if im gonna ask for directions!

Post by Indiana Jolly Mon »

My thoughts:
1) Nice rack :lol:
2) If you are going to get a divorce based on the billboard, maybe your marriage sucks to begin with.
3) Churches do quite a bit to try to stop divorces. Counseling and working with couples. They also support a lot of women's shelters too for the other side of the spectrum.
4) Gee, a lawyer doing something questionable? say it aint so!
5) Nice rack.
M.K. "You should never use any of the 13 bad words!"
S.T. "I thought there were only 7 bad words?"
M.K. "Not if you're a sailor."
Indiana Jolly Mon

Oh, and the most offensive sign I have seen is a billboard with magnified sperm and the saying "Who's the father? Call 1-800 DNA TEST"
sunseeker
Woman going crazy on Caroline street
Favorite Buffett Song: That's what living is to me
Number of Concerts: 50
Favorite Boat Drink: Mostly water these days

Post by sunseeker »

Reminds me a little of the sign you see here in my signature line

:lol:
There's this one particular harbor.....
buffettbride
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 5
Favorite Boat Drink: Cuba Libre

Post by buffettbride »

Indiana Jolly Mon wrote:Oh, and the most offensive sign I have seen is a billboard with magnified sperm and the saying "Who's the father? Call 1-800 DNA TEST"
I guess I fail to see what makes something like that "offensive." Tacky maybe, but not offensive.
TheBlondeStranger
Nibblin' on sponge cake

Post by TheBlondeStranger »

Utter lack of class.... The WBA makes a good point.
Dezdmona
On a Salty Piece of Land
Favorite Buffett Song: He Went To Paris
Number of Concerts: 33
Favorite Boat Drink: PharmAde

Post by Dezdmona »

Tiki Bar wrote:
I agree.

As I've stated before, for many folks, "quitting" on a marriage is the easy way out, and loads of people need a way to justify that.

Lots of people have sought divorce, not because of abuse, cheating and/or addiction (which are different animals all together), but because they were bored or tired of irritating habits of the other person, and for [insert personal reason here] didn't put the effort into re-invorgating their relationship.
Everyone brings their own "stuff" into a relationship, therefore I suspect there is no "perfect" conflict-free relationship.
Expections (and assumptions) of such are bound to lead to disappointment. (Yet, people do it every day.)

New love is fun and exciting, some people avoid committed relationships as "safer", other people choose several partners over time - usually with expectations that they will eventually run their course.
(As a Psychotherapist, I've heard lots of relationship stories.)

Re: Fetman's quote:
being honest with myself and having some personal integrity, for me means evaluating my role in my relationship and admitting my successes and weaknesses and re-comitting to being a good spouse/partner/parent on a regular basis.
take some action and do something about it.
It's a constant appraisal process, as life is always throwing curve balls.
I'm not the same woman my husband married, nor is he.
I need to find new ways for him to fall in love with me all over again.
If I didn't we wouldn't have been married 17 years. :wink:
Some people never find it, some only pretend
But me, I just want to live happily ever after every now and then.
Find me on: Facebook, Twitter, Blog
jonesbeach10
Here We Are
Favorite Buffett Song: Weather is Here Wish You Were Beautiful
Number of Concerts: 9
Location: Living with my feet in DC and my head in the cool blue north

Post by jonesbeach10 »

My first thought was that it makes me laugh when politicians and other talking heads debate about the "sanctity of marriage" when it comes to civil unions or same-sex marriage. But how pure can it really be when the divorce rate in the country is so high, and then we have billboards practically encouraging it?

Sometimes more than others,
we see who and what and where we are,
I'm just a one man band,
With my feet in the sand,
Tonight I just need my guitar
ragtopW
Last Man Standing

Post by ragtopW »

Indiana Jolly Mon

buffettbride wrote:
Indiana Jolly Mon wrote:Oh, and the most offensive sign I have seen is a billboard with magnified sperm and the saying "Who's the father? Call 1-800 DNA TEST"
I guess I fail to see what makes something like that "offensive." Tacky maybe, but not offensive.
Okay, I'll go with tacky, but seeing a billboard covered in sperm aint a good thing :lol:
Capt.Flock

Post by Capt.Flock »

1. The billboard did its job on getting attention to the law firm
2. You have a better chance of getting a divorced then staying married (sad but true)
3. You know why divorces cost so much .......... because they are worth it
ImageImage Image
flyboy55
I Love the Now!
Number of Concerts: 3

Post by flyboy55 »

I've always been puzzled at how sexuality is dealt with in this country.

In the case of the divorce billboard, selected body parts of a woman and a man are used to market legal services.

In other parts of the marketplace the same use is made of sexuality to sell some product or service.

Our culture is fairly 'dripping' with sexual images and innuendo.

It seems to me that many folks see nothing wrong with this use of sexuality (ie a marketing tool) but object vehemently when someone wants to educate their children about birth control, sexually transmitted diseases, homosexuality, etc.

The message is clear. Sex in the service of the marketplace is acceptable, but substantive public discussion of human sexuality in its many and wonderful varieties and forms is unacceptable, especially when it comes to educating our young.

I think the way sex is used to sell anything and everything is a symptom of our moral decline.
mermaidindisguise
Hoot!
Favorite Buffett Song: Lucky Stars
Number of Concerts: 14
Favorite Boat Drink: Key Lime Pie By Z-Man!

Post by mermaidindisguise »

Dezdmona wrote:
pbans wrote:Maybe it's not the message, but rather the pictures that make it all seem rather shallow.....I wonder if the message was up there with a woman with a black eye....if people would be offended.....
I think it's the implication that 'get a divorce because there are a gajillion hotties out there' is what is a little bothersome.....the concept of divorce is what it is....
I encourage folks to escape violent and abusive relationships.

It's the idea that people should abandon their marriage simply for "greener pastures" and sexual freedom or "just because" that bothers me.

I Agree..... just because hit the nail on the head....It should have read "Life is short... Give us all your money"

I am all for being happy .... but billboards like this make marriage seem so trivial. I had enough trouble trying to explain to someone why marriage is important to me... these billboards sure don't help.