2008 Baseball Thread

In this forum you can discuss anything from sports, news, or what ever is on your mind.

Moderators: SMLCHNG, Saltx3

Bob Roberts
Behind Door #3
Favorite Buffett Song: A Pirate Looks at 40
Number of Concerts: 5
Favorite Boat Drink: cold

Post by Bob Roberts »

REDS SWEEP NATIONALS!!!
Reds make push to .500 before All-Star break!

While 10 games back may not sound good to most of you, we Reds fans are alot more excited than we were a week or so ago. Now only 4 games out of .500 and 10 games back from the best team in the National League, the future looks a little brighter, especially as we head into Chicago and Milwaukee for the next 6 games before the break.

Come on Reds! Keep the streak alive!!!
"The sound of the weather is Heaven's ragtime band."

TommyBahama
Diamond as Big as The Ritz
Favorite Buffett Song: No particular Favorite
Number of Concerts: 86
Favorite Boat Drink: yes please
Location: Connecticut--May your time be filled with relaxing sunsets,cool drinks and sand between your toes.

Post by TommyBahama »

BottleofRum wrote:
TommyBahama wrote:
Battleforum wrote:
drunkpirate66 wrote:
Battleforum wrote:Red Sox (hit 5 times) and Yankees (hit twice) tie a ML record with 7 HBP today, Manny was hit 3 times alone. But I don't think any of the 7 were intentional on either side.

Then the Sox have a great chance to at least tie if not win the game in the 9th, bases loaded, no outs trailing 2-1 Crisp K's, the anti-captain Varitek decides to swing at a high and inside 2-0 pitch and pops out then Lugo followed with the expected K. Game over.

Someone needs to spike Varitek's drink, slip him some bad meat, kneecap him with a bat...anything to get him out of the lineup for a lengthy stretch of time, he is by far the worst player on the roster, no one else is even close. When he comes up the only question is will he strike out swinging or pop out.
Like the pathetic HOH (Hall of HOME RUNs) bound Griffey jr . . . it is hard to see the once mighty look human. I agree.
Exhibit A as to why offensive numbers matter in HOF voting, all Varitek had to do was get a sac fly ball to the OF and the game is tied, not even a hit...just a fly ball out and he couldn't even do that. HR's and RBI matter for this reason alone.

Not to mention the passball he had early in the game that led to a run. He is so pathetic, the only shining light is he we are stuck with him for only 3 more months.
I'm sorry...but where was Sean Casey!!....This is what will hurt the Sox if anything...I've seen it a lot lately with them ...Francona is afraid to pinch hit for him!!! or Lugo for that matter!!

Sean Casey pitch-hit earlier in the game for Cora. But I still doubt that Francona would have hit for vartiek.
i picked the game up around the 8th inning!!....why wouldn't he pinch hi Lugo since he was going in for him!!...that way you save a guy for later!!...would he have pinch hit for ..probably not...but i sure the hell would of....the guy can't hit his way out of a paper bag lately....great with young pitchers yes....but his hitting days i think have passed him!!!....and Jon love ya brother...but Varitec will have a hard time hetting in to the HoF ...it's based on numbers except Ozzie Smith that i can remember in my time!!

drunkpirate66
Party at the End of the World
Favorite Buffett Song: Take Another Road
Number of Concerts: 67
Favorite Boat Drink: Beers.

Post by drunkpirate66 »

TommyBahama wrote:
BottleofRum wrote:
TommyBahama wrote:
Battleforum wrote:
drunkpirate66 wrote:
Battleforum wrote:Red Sox (hit 5 times) and Yankees (hit twice) tie a ML record with 7 HBP today, Manny was hit 3 times alone. But I don't think any of the 7 were intentional on either side.

Then the Sox have a great chance to at least tie if not win the game in the 9th, bases loaded, no outs trailing 2-1 Crisp K's, the anti-captain Varitek decides to swing at a high and inside 2-0 pitch and pops out then Lugo followed with the expected K. Game over.

Someone needs to spike Varitek's drink, slip him some bad meat, kneecap him with a bat...anything to get him out of the lineup for a lengthy stretch of time, he is by far the worst player on the roster, no one else is even close. When he comes up the only question is will he strike out swinging or pop out.
Like the pathetic HOH (Hall of HOME RUNs) bound Griffey jr . . . it is hard to see the once mighty look human. I agree.
Exhibit A as to why offensive numbers matter in HOF voting, all Varitek had to do was get a sac fly ball to the OF and the game is tied, not even a hit...just a fly ball out and he couldn't even do that. HR's and RBI matter for this reason alone.

Not to mention the passball he had early in the game that led to a run. He is so pathetic, the only shining light is he we are stuck with him for only 3 more months.
I'm sorry...but where was Sean Casey!!....This is what will hurt the Sox if anything...I've seen it a lot lately with them ...Francona is afraid to pinch hit for him!!! or Lugo for that matter!!

Sean Casey pitch-hit earlier in the game for Cora. But I still doubt that Francona would have hit for vartiek.
i picked the game up around the 8th inning!!....why wouldn't he pinch hi Lugo since he was going in for him!!...that way you save a guy for later!!...would he have pinch hit for ..probably not...but i sure the hell would of....the guy can't hit his way out of a paper bag lately....great with young pitchers yes....but his hitting days i think have passed him!!!....and Jon love ya brother...but Varitec will have a hard time hetting in to the HoF ...it's based on numbers except Ozzie Smith that i can remember in my time!!

Oh I agree 1000% 10,000% But that is my problem. How can the HOF voters legitimately state that only 13 catchers in 100 or so years are "worthy" of being in the HOF. They are clearly the most important player on the field. They are involved in every play. I would say that 4/5 times the determines the quality of a pitchers start and I would say 162/ 162 times the catcher is the field general who everyone looks too (Mauer, as one example said recently that this is what he needs to work on at the MLB level to this day).

You are right though My Ole' Friend . . . the voting goes by a different standard. A standard I feel is stupid and wrong as evident by ONLY 13 CATCHERS IN COOPERSTOWN!!!!! But maybe it is just me. Lets go watch Ryan Howard strike out 15 times before he hits another homer. :lol:

(Gammons said it though. Gammons called Tek worthy with one more WS. And where I come from, Gammons is gospel.).
the hit and run is as good as any religion around this time of year . . .

drunkpirate66

Post by drunkpirate66 »

Lets just take a look at when Hall of Fame Catchers Played:

There are 13 total (not including 3 Negro League Guys . . .)

1800's: 1 - Ewing
1900 - 1920: 2 Bresnahan, Schalk
1920's - 1940: 5 - Hartnett, Lombardi, Ferrell, Dicky, Chochrane
1940's - 1950's: 2 - Berra, Campenella
Post 1960's: 0 (there is some overlap . . . I am just referring to the time they mostly played).
1970's - 1980's : 3 - Bench, Carter, Fisk

So in roughly 50 + years are you all telling me that there are only 3 HOF worthy catchers (Ivan and Mike are not in yet)?

That is just wrong.

So wrong.

BottleofRum
Chewin' on a Honeysuckle Vine
Favorite Buffett Song: He Went to Paris: It's My Job
Favorite Boat Drink: Barbancourt Rhum

Post by BottleofRum »

TommyBahama wrote:
BottleofRum wrote:
TommyBahama wrote:
Battleforum wrote:
drunkpirate66 wrote:

My guess is he hit Casey over Lugo because of the lefty/righty matchup and I would think that had Casey got on Lugo would have ran for him.

But, earlier this week with the game on the line in the 9th he had a chance to PH Casey for 'Tek and didn't.

The good news is tonight Kevin Cash is catching so Varitek won't s*** on national TV in back-to-back games.

And just now on ESPN back to back breaking news about the Yankees....J. Damon to the DL for the first time in his career and ARod's wife files for divorce which is news that should be better left out of the media, who really cares.
- - “If it doesn't work out there will never be any doubt that the pleasure was worth all the pain.”

TommyBahama
Diamond as Big as The Ritz
Favorite Buffett Song: No particular Favorite
Number of Concerts: 86
Favorite Boat Drink: yes please
Location: Connecticut--May your time be filled with relaxing sunsets,cool drinks and sand between your toes.

Post by TommyBahama »

Here are some stats of Ted Simmons!!!.....he put up some great numbers through out his career!!
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m ... i_88575158

BottleofRum

Post by BottleofRum »

C.C. Sabathia traded to the Brewers

According to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. The newspaper reports the deal is contingent on paperwork being finished and the exchange of medical records. Cleveland would get Double-A outfielder Matt LaPorta, who is hitting .288 with 20 homers and 66 RBIs in 84 games for Huntsville, and two other minor leaguers in return, according to the Journal Sentinel. The two other players do not include top prospects Alcides Escobar or Mat Gamel.

According to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel the Brewers wanted Sabathia on their pitching staff in time to get him two starts before the All-Star break, according to multiple media reports. Sabathia could debut in Milwaukee against the Colorado Rockies on Tuesday.
- - “If it doesn't work out there will never be any doubt that the pleasure was worth all the pain.”

Karin
License to Chill
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by Karin »

SHUT UP JOE!!!

Just getting that out of the way early. . .it's only a matter of time. :roll:

CaptainP
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: OPH
Number of Concerts: 39
Favorite Boat Drink: Delicious Trappist Ales

Post by CaptainP »

BottleofRum wrote:C.C. Sabathia traded to the Brewers

According to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. The newspaper reports the deal is contingent on paperwork being finished and the exchange of medical records. Cleveland would get Double-A outfielder Matt LaPorta, who is hitting .288 with 20 homers and 66 RBIs in 84 games for Huntsville, and two other minor leaguers in return, according to the Journal Sentinel. The two other players do not include top prospects Alcides Escobar or Mat Gamel.

According to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel the Brewers wanted Sabathia on their pitching staff in time to get him two starts before the All-Star break, according to multiple media reports. Sabathia could debut in Milwaukee against the Colorado Rockies on Tuesday.
Taylor Green is probably one of the prospects

I-94 North
Southeast of disorder
Favorite Buffett Song: Stranded on a sandbar
Number of Concerts: 7

Post by I-94 North »

This is awesome news! Hopefully having two aces will put us over the top.

WELCOME C.C.!

BottleofRum

Post by BottleofRum »

I-94 North wrote:This is awesome news! Hopefully having two aces will put us over the top.

WELCOME C.C.!
And if they lose both CC and Sheets to free agency the Brewers will have 5 of the first 35 picks in next year's draft so they can reload.

jonesbeach10
Here We Are
Favorite Buffett Song: Weather is Here Wish You Were Beautiful
Number of Concerts: 9
Location: Living with my feet in DC and my head in the cool blue north

Post by jonesbeach10 »

Karin wrote:SHUT UP JOE!!!

Morgan might as well have been wearing a Red Sox cap tonight. And I'm reasonably sure he was wearing a Mets cap a few weeks ago when he announced the Sunday night game of the Subway Series.

And can we get someone to confirm Johnny Miller went senile? Some of the mistakes he made were just a lack of baseball knowledge and/or preparation

Sometimes more than others,
we see who and what and where we are,
I'm just a one man band,
With my feet in the sand,
Tonight I just need my guitar

BottleofRum

Post by BottleofRum »

jonesbeach10 wrote:

Morgan might as well have been wearing a Red Sox cap tonight. And I'm reasonably sure he was wearing a Mets cap a few weeks ago when he announced the Sunday night game of the Subway Series.

And can we get someone to confirm Johnny Miller went senile? Some of the mistakes he made were just a lack of baseball knowledge and/or preparation
Joe Morgan absolutely hates the Red Sox and the city of Boston, he has made that clear many times in the past. He hates the Sox because when the 1975 world series is talked about the 1st thing mentioned is Fisk's HR and because they were the last team to have a black player on their roster. Someone at ESPN must have had a talk with him because now it seems he tries to praise the Red Sox a little more but you can clearly see he is doing it because he has to.

I went to bed so I missed the last few innings. I can't ever remember falling asleep before a Sox game was over but this season it feels different. For at least this series the rivalry was a dud.

But someone told me this AM that on the last play Morgan kept saying Lugo dove and missed the ball when it was Cora who replaced Lugo 2 innings prior.

I also heard Joe Morgan just throw out there that Barry Bonds worked out for the Red Sox...... :-? either he is full of crap or the Boston media missed a huge story.

drunkpirate66

Post by drunkpirate66 »

BottleofRum wrote:
jonesbeach10 wrote:

Joe Morgan absolutely hates the Red Sox and the city of Boston, he has made that clear many times in the past. He hates the Sox because when the 1975 world series is talked about the 1st thing mentioned is Fisk's HR and because they were the last team to have a black player on their roster. Someone at ESPN must have had a talk with him because now it seems he tries to praise the Red Sox a little more but you can clearly see he is doing it because he has to.

I went to bed so I missed the last few innings. I can't ever remember falling asleep before a Sox game was over but this season it feels different. For at least this series the rivalry was a dud.

But someone told me this AM that on the last play Morgan kept saying Lugo dove and missed the ball when it was Cora who replaced Lugo 2 innings prior.

I also heard Joe Morgan just throw out there that Barry Bonds worked out for the Red Sox...... :-? either he is full of crap or the Boston media missed a huge story.
There is no way the 75 sports writer for the Globe and Herald and the WEEI guys would miss that.

drunkpirate66

Post by drunkpirate66 »

Wow. People sure got quiet about Boston Catchers now that they are on the All Star Team.

Congrats to the Brew Crew for making an excellent move! I would love to see a Brewers v. Red Sox World Series. Imagine the pitching match ups and brilliant Captain P one liners. :lol: (I heard that the Brewers wanted some kid named Boof but settled for a guy named CC . . . . too bad; I hear Boof is, like, a great pitcher or something).

aeroparrot
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 42

Post by aeroparrot »

drunkpirate66 wrote:
BottleofRum wrote:
jonesbeach10 wrote:

There is no way the 75 sports writer for the Globe and Herald and the WEEI guys would miss that.
I think this was reported on boston.com right around the time Ortiz got injured that the Sox thought about bringing over Bonds but it was also reported that the Sox weren't interested.
If you want an experience, go to a Jimmy Buffett concert.

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Life is short, live long!!

I'd rather be a wiseass than a dumbass.

BottleofRum

Post by BottleofRum »

drunkpirate66 wrote:Wow. People sure got quiet about Boston Catchers now that they are on the All Star Team.

It was nice to see a hit out of a Boston catcher last night in a key spot, the hit came from Kevin Cash of course. While Varitek, in another key AB predictable grounded out in a pitch hitting role.

How much does Boston miss Ortiz? In their last 10 losses, 8 have been by 1 run...

When Ortiz first got hurt there was a article about Bonds in a Boston paper but it was just a writer bringing it up, nothing in it about the Red Sox talking about it.

drunkpirate66

Post by drunkpirate66 »

BottleofRum wrote:
drunkpirate66 wrote:Wow. People sure got quiet about Boston Catchers now that they are on the All Star Team.

It was nice to see a hit out of a Boston catcher last night in a key spot, the hit came from Kevin Cash of course. While Varitek, in another key AB predictable grounded out in a pitch hitting role.

How much does Boston miss Ortiz? In their last 10 losses, 8 have been by 1 run...

When Ortiz first got hurt there was a article about Bonds in a Boston paper but it was just a writer bringing it up, nothing in it about the Red Sox talking about it.
You are so tunnel visioned my friend. THERE IS WAY MORE TO BASEBALL THAN HITTING ESPECIALLY AT CATCHER . . . (you do realize that, right?).

Of course they miss Papi. Tek's role has never been a clutch hit or rbi guy.

LIPH
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 0
Favorite Boat Drink: my next beer, as long as it's not Blandshark

Post by LIPH »

Be honest, do you think he would have been picked if Francona wasn't managing the AL team in the All-Star game? It's no different than all those years Torre picked as many Yankees as he could.
what I really mean . . . I wish you were here

drunkpirate66

Post by drunkpirate66 »

LIPH wrote:
Be honest, do you think he would have been picked if Francona wasn't managing the AL team in the All-Star game? It's no different than all those years Torre picked as many Yankees as he could.
Not sure. But histoty will show he was an All Star this year and if that is either corrupt or sketchy than listing the number of times a player was an All Star for consideration into the HOF should not happen. For any player.

I will say this: Mauer, Navarro, and who if not Tek? Kurt Suzuki? I would honestly take Tek over that guy. Napoli? I would honestly take Tek. No one in the Central comes to mind other than Mauer. Buck? I would take Tek. Posada and Martinez are both injured or have been for the majority of the season.