2008 Baseball Thread

In this forum you can discuss anything from sports, news, or what ever is on your mind.

Moderators: SMLCHNG, Saltx3

aeroparrot
Last Man Standing
Posts: 72668
Joined: June 17, 2005 7:36 am
Number of Concerts: 42
Location: Just like living in Paradise
Contact:

Post by aeroparrot »

Karin wrote:
aeroparrot wrote:It is now obvious that Chamberlin really wants to end Youkilis' career. Case in point, why has he been throwing at Youk's head while pitching normally against everyone else? Happened again tonight. This has been happening almost every time Chamberlin is the pitcher against the Sox.
I want to throw at Yuke. When I see his little girl scout hissy fit tantrums at the plate. . . I throw something at the TV. :D

Having said that. . .it sure looked like it hit him in the head. . it was close. :o (Scary close. . 97 mph) . . but. .Yuke has never been hit. I don't agree with the timing (1 run game) and I certainly don't agree with throwing at anyone's head. . but it doesn't make sense that he would throw at Yuke then. . :-? Is he trying to send a message. . or does he really not like Yuke! ?? 3 times. . makes you wonder.

p.s. - Why does Giambi's stache keep changing color??
I agree with Jack. Paul O'Neil used to do the same thing at the plate too. Plus I don't care if the guy does have a hissy fit, you NEVER throw at someone's head, especially if it is a 97 mph fastball. That's just calling for an end to that person's career and, if Chamberlin ever did that to Youk, he (Chamberlin) should be kicked out of baseball for life.
If you want an experience, go to a Jimmy Buffett concert.

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Life is short, live long!!

I'd rather be a wiseass than a dumbass.

Image

Joetown Parrothead
At the Bama Breeze
Posts: 4257
Joined: March 8, 2008 2:02 pm
Favorite Buffett Song: Wino and I know
Number of Concerts: 30
Favorite Boat Drink: Miller Lite & Cabo
Location: Joetown Missouri
Contact:

Post by Joetown Parrothead »

My Cardinals are sucking right now! WOW we need some pitching!

aeroparrot
Last Man Standing
Posts: 72668
Joined: June 17, 2005 7:36 am
Number of Concerts: 42
Location: Just like living in Paradise
Contact:

Post by aeroparrot »

Joetown Parrothead wrote:My Cardinals are sucking right now! WOW we need some pitching!
They're barely in it so you know all the teams that are are trying to do something.
If you want an experience, go to a Jimmy Buffett concert.

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Life is short, live long!!

I'd rather be a wiseass than a dumbass.

Image

Karin
License to Chill
Posts: 1362
Joined: July 13, 2001 8:00 pm
Number of Concerts: 0
Location: Connecticut

Post by Karin »

aeroparrot wrote: I agree with Jack. Paul O'Neil used to do the same thing at the plate too. Plus I don't care if the guy does have a hissy fit, you NEVER throw at someone's head, especially if it is a 97 mph fastball. That's just calling for an end to that person's career and, if Chamberlin ever did that to Youk, he (Chamberlin) should be kicked out of baseball for life.
Easy Ravi! Yes. . Paulie did the exact same thing at the plate. (Note my smiley. . .) Jack got it. . .I was just having some fun.

I really don't think Joba was throwing at his head last night. Not in a 1 run game, with no one out.

So Pedro and Clemmens should have been banned for life? :D

phjrsaunt
Social Buffettfly
Social Buffettfly
Posts: 37094
Joined: October 19, 2001 8:00 pm
Favorite Buffett Song: Defying Gravity
Number of Concerts: 21
Favorite Boat Drink: coconut rum and...anything!
Location: Lovin' the NOW!

Post by phjrsaunt »

I don't know a danged thing about baseball, but I saw Karin's name pop up and it made me smile. :D

Don't let me interrupt.
Image

My love is staying an anchor tied to you with that silver chain.
Image

aeroparrot
Last Man Standing
Posts: 72668
Joined: June 17, 2005 7:36 am
Number of Concerts: 42
Location: Just like living in Paradise
Contact:

Post by aeroparrot »

Karin wrote:
aeroparrot wrote: I agree with Jack. Paul O'Neil used to do the same thing at the plate too. Plus I don't care if the guy does have a hissy fit, you NEVER throw at someone's head, especially if it is a 97 mph fastball. That's just calling for an end to that person's career and, if Chamberlin ever did that to Youk, he (Chamberlin) should be kicked out of baseball for life.
Easy Ravi! Yes. . Paulie did the exact same thing at the plate. (Note my smiley. . .) Jack got it. . .I was just having some fun.

I really don't think Joba was throwing at his head last night. Not in a 1 run game, with no one out.

So Pedro and Clemmens should have been banned for life? :D
Clemens has other issues that could. :P :P

Pedro though, nope never. :P :P :P
If you want an experience, go to a Jimmy Buffett concert.

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Life is short, live long!!

I'd rather be a wiseass than a dumbass.

Image

owbishop
I Love the Now!
Posts: 1648
Joined: March 1, 2008 6:03 pm
Number of Concerts: 0
Location: NE Ohio

Post by owbishop »

On the subject of throwing at people, did anyone see the minor league game in Dayton where an idiot pitcher during the middle of a brawl threw the ball at the Dayton dugout and missed and hit a fan in the stands. He got arrested had to turn in his passport and could face 8 years in jail. Can anyone say MORON. Baseballs can kill you :evil:

CaptainP
Last Man Standing
Posts: 33040
Joined: April 12, 2003 12:16 pm
Favorite Buffett Song: OPH
Number of Concerts: 39
Favorite Boat Drink: Delicious Trappist Ales
Location: The Far Side Of The Living Room

Post by CaptainP »

owbishop wrote:On the subject of throwing at people, did anyone see the minor league game in Dayton where an idiot pitcher during the middle of a brawl threw the ball at the Dayton dugout and missed and hit a fan in the stands. He got arrested had to turn in his passport and could face 8 years in jail. Can anyone say MORON. Baseballs can kill you :evil:
He's currently being held on $50,000 bond.

Basically, he aimed a pitch at an opponent and missed very badly.
The Cubs are thinking about making him their new closer.

APLATillman
If we weren't all crazy ...
Posts: 537
Joined: August 10, 2006 12:11 am
Number of Concerts: 19
Favorite Boat Drink: free
Location: jersey shore

Post by APLATillman »

CaptainP wrote:
owbishop wrote:On the subject of throwing at people, did anyone see the minor league game in Dayton where an idiot pitcher during the middle of a brawl threw the ball at the Dayton dugout and missed and hit a fan in the stands. He got arrested had to turn in his passport and could face 8 years in jail. Can anyone say MORON. Baseballs can kill you :evil:
He's currently being held on $50,000 bond.

Basically, he aimed a pitch at an opponent and missed very badly.
The Cubs are thinking about making him their new closer.
here it is...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=LVnUxGdr9UM

and here is a longer version (taken by fan on hand held)...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=o5vsefsRLe8&feature=related

aeroparrot
Last Man Standing
Posts: 72668
Joined: June 17, 2005 7:36 am
Number of Concerts: 42
Location: Just like living in Paradise
Contact:

Post by aeroparrot »

owbishop wrote:On the subject of throwing at people, did anyone see the minor league game in Dayton where an idiot pitcher during the middle of a brawl threw the ball at the Dayton dugout and missed and hit a fan in the stands. He got arrested had to turn in his passport and could face 8 years in jail. Can anyone say MORON. Baseballs can kill you :evil:
No problem with this comment. That guy is a moron
If you want an experience, go to a Jimmy Buffett concert.

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Life is short, live long!!

I'd rather be a wiseass than a dumbass.

Image

LIPH
Last Man Standing
Posts: 64780
Joined: April 24, 2001 8:00 pm
Number of Concerts: 0
Favorite Boat Drink: my next beer, as long as it's not Blandshark

Post by LIPH »

I didn't see the game (Yankees/Red Sox) so I can't comment on this specific incident but pitching inside is part of the game. Not throwing at guys' heads, but pitching inside. Unfortunately, hardly any pitchers do it anymore so the hitters are conditioned to thinking that if a pitch is even a little off the plate they're being thrown at. They need to grow a pair, step back in the batters box and play the freakin' game. They're turning into a bunch of pu**ies. Half the players in the major leagues today wouldn't have lasted if they had to hit against guys like Don Drysdale or Bob Gibson.
what I really mean . . . I wish you were here

popcornjack
Changing Channels
Posts: 16284
Joined: December 15, 2006 5:47 pm
Favorite Buffett Song: Biloxi
Number of Concerts: 75
Favorite Boat Drink: Dos Equis
Location: Key West

Post by popcornjack »

LIPH wrote:I didn't see the game (Yankees/Red Sox) so I can't comment on this specific incident but pitching inside is part of the game. Not throwing at guys' heads, but pitching inside. Unfortunately, hardly any pitchers do it anymore so the hitters are conditioned to thinking that if a pitch is even a little off the plate they're being thrown at. They need to grow a pair, step back in the batters box and play the freakin' game. They're turning into a bunch of pu**ies. Half the players in the major leagues today wouldn't have lasted if they had to hit against guys like Don Drysdale or Bob Gibson.
Yes, but there have been three separate instances when it was Joba vs Yuke that he has come not just inside, but high and inside, sometimes so much so that it's more behind than inside.
Take me for what I am, a star newly emerging.
I accept the new found man, and I set the twilight reeling.

LIPH
Last Man Standing
Posts: 64780
Joined: April 24, 2001 8:00 pm
Number of Concerts: 0
Favorite Boat Drink: my next beer, as long as it's not Blandshark

Post by LIPH »

Get rid of the DH rule, make the pitcher hit and see how often they throw at guys.
what I really mean . . . I wish you were here

popcornjack
Changing Channels
Posts: 16284
Joined: December 15, 2006 5:47 pm
Favorite Buffett Song: Biloxi
Number of Concerts: 75
Favorite Boat Drink: Dos Equis
Location: Key West

Post by popcornjack »

LIPH wrote:Get rid of the DH rule, make the pitcher hit and see how often they throw at guys.
You mean (gasp!) treat them like an athlete? Blasphemy!!
Take me for what I am, a star newly emerging.
I accept the new found man, and I set the twilight reeling.

TommyBahama
Diamond as Big as The Ritz
Posts: 27457
Joined: August 26, 2006 10:16 am
Favorite Buffett Song: No particular Favorite
Number of Concerts: 86
Favorite Boat Drink: yes please
Location: Connecticut--May your time be filled with relaxing sunsets,cool drinks and sand between your toes.
Contact:

Post by TommyBahama »

Karin wrote:
aeroparrot wrote:It is now obvious that Chamberlin really wants to end Youkilis' career. Case in point, why has he been throwing at Youk's head while pitching normally against everyone else? Happened again tonight. This has been happening almost every time Chamberlin is the pitcher against the Sox.
I want to throw at Yuke. When I see his little girl scout hissy fit tantrums at the plate. . . I throw something at the TV. :D

Having said that. . .it sure looked like it hit him in the head. . it was close. :o (Scary close. . 97 mph) . . but. .Yuke has never been hit. I don't agree with the timing (1 run game) and I certainly don't agree with throwing at anyone's head. . but it doesn't make sense that he would throw at Yuke then. . :-? Is he trying to send a message. . or does he really not like Yuke! ?? 3 times. . makes you wonder.

p.s. - Why does Giambi's stache keep changing color??
throwing at a guys head 4 times is not a mistake...even in a 1 run game......but i wish yukes would take the damn skirt off and charge the mound and smack the guy!!!...or go for the pitching arm !!!...i'm sorry but when you get one up near the head more then once...hit or not hit...it sends a message!!....and he's also putting his teamates in jeperdy...how whould you like to see one hit Jeter in the head or A-Rod??

Clintster7
I gotta go where it's warm
Posts: 662
Joined: March 16, 2003 2:41 pm
Favorite Buffett Song: depends on mood
Number of Concerts: 25
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum and coke
Location: Hampton Va

Post by Clintster7 »

Youk is too busy fighting with Manny to fight anyone else. Talk about tantrums....How about Lowell?
Image

popcornjack
Changing Channels
Posts: 16284
Joined: December 15, 2006 5:47 pm
Favorite Buffett Song: Biloxi
Number of Concerts: 75
Favorite Boat Drink: Dos Equis
Location: Key West

Post by popcornjack »

Clintster7 wrote:Youk is too busy fighting with Manny to fight anyone else. Talk about tantrums....How about Lowell?
that called third strike in the ninth inning wasn't even in the same ball park as the plate. I didn't see the pitch he complained about in the seventh, but the ump missed the pitch in the ninth by a foot.
Take me for what I am, a star newly emerging.
I accept the new found man, and I set the twilight reeling.

Clintster7
I gotta go where it's warm
Posts: 662
Joined: March 16, 2003 2:41 pm
Favorite Buffett Song: depends on mood
Number of Concerts: 25
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum and coke
Location: Hampton Va

Post by Clintster7 »

That ump was consistently off for both teams all night.
Image

aeroparrot
Last Man Standing
Posts: 72668
Joined: June 17, 2005 7:36 am
Number of Concerts: 42
Location: Just like living in Paradise
Contact:

Post by aeroparrot »

Clintster7 wrote:That ump was consistently off for both teams all night.
But looking at the replay, that was NOT a strike for Lowell, never was, never is. The only reason why Rivera got the call is because he is Mariano Rivera nothing else, every other pitcher would have had that called a ball.
If you want an experience, go to a Jimmy Buffett concert.

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Life is short, live long!!

I'd rather be a wiseass than a dumbass.

Image

TommyBahama
Diamond as Big as The Ritz
Posts: 27457
Joined: August 26, 2006 10:16 am
Favorite Buffett Song: No particular Favorite
Number of Concerts: 86
Favorite Boat Drink: yes please
Location: Connecticut--May your time be filled with relaxing sunsets,cool drinks and sand between your toes.
Contact:

Post by TommyBahama »

europarrot wrote:
Clintster7 wrote:That ump was consistently off for both teams all night.
But looking at the replay, that was NOT a strike for Lowell, never was, never is. The only reason why Rivera got the call is because he is Mariano Rivera nothing else, every other pitcher would have had that called a ball.
i don't buy that ..if it was a rookie yes / maybe..but not with a guy like Lowell...and he is one of the most mild mannered people in Baseball....you get pitchers close to the strike zone...that was no where near...and earlier in the game Lowell had a pitch that was out of the strike Zone called a strike..which would of been ball 4!!...the Umpire blew 2 calls that were obvious balls..plain and simple!!!

Post Reply