2008 Baseball Thread

In this forum you can discuss anything from sports, news, or what ever is on your mind.

Moderators: SMLCHNG, Saltx3

popcornjack
Changing Channels
Favorite Buffett Song: Biloxi
Number of Concerts: 75
Favorite Boat Drink: Dos Equis

Post by popcornjack »

drunkpirate66 wrote:
popcornjack wrote:Steve Phillips eats paste. I'm not defending Joe Morgan, but this is a lateral move at best.
where I used to roll . . . the ABC Nursery School in Chelmsford, MA . . . eating paste made you a man.
Pshaw!! Paste is nothing. Where I'm from, you weren't a man until you ate play-doh.
Take me for what I am, a star newly emerging.
I accept the new found man, and I set the twilight reeling.

drunkpirate66
Party at the End of the World
Favorite Buffett Song: Take Another Road
Number of Concerts: 67
Favorite Boat Drink: Beers.

Post by drunkpirate66 »

popcornjack wrote:
drunkpirate66 wrote:
popcornjack wrote:Steve Phillips eats paste. I'm not defending Joe Morgan, but this is a lateral move at best.
where I used to roll . . . the ABC Nursery School in Chelmsford, MA . . . eating paste made you a man.
Pshaw!! Paste is nothing. Where I'm from, you weren't a man until you ate play-doh.
Did your teachers leave out that gigantic green paper cutter of death? you know the one with the huge arm that weighed like 4 pounds of all sharp edge . . . ? Did you ever have your friends hold up that arm with your finger underneath to see how quick your relflexes are? I did. I was a man among boys. They don't call me 9 Digits for nothing . . .
the hit and run is as good as any religion around this time of year . . .

Karin
License to Chill
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by Karin »

That made me laugh! :D :D

Did anyone see the ESPN graphic? Pavano as the starting pitcher. :roll: ESPN sucks!

TommyBahama
Diamond as Big as The Ritz
Favorite Buffett Song: No particular Favorite
Number of Concerts: 86
Favorite Boat Drink: yes please
Location: Connecticut--May your time be filled with relaxing sunsets,cool drinks and sand between your toes.

Post by TommyBahama »

Karin wrote:

Did anyone see the ESPN graphic? Pavano as the starting pitcher. :roll: ESPN sucks!
Hey sweetie!!!...Pavano ..Ponson all the same!!

popcornjack
Changing Channels

Post by popcornjack »

drunkpirate66 wrote:
popcornjack wrote:
drunkpirate66 wrote:
Did your teachers leave out that gigantic green paper cutter of death? you know the one with the huge arm that weighed like 4 pounds of all sharp edge . . . ? Did you ever have your friends hold up that arm with your finger underneath to see how quick your relflexes are? I did. I was a man among boys. They don't call me 9 Digits for nothing . . .
:lol: :lol: :lol: They won't let us have scissors that don't have rounded edges, but they leave something out you could slaughter a hog with. And I can only hope your reflexes got better as you got older. :wink:

Karin
License to Chill

Post by Karin »

TommyBahama wrote:
Karin wrote:

Right now, I think I'd rather have Pavano! :-?

Hi back! :D

TommyBahama
Location: Connecticut--May your time be filled with relaxing sunsets,cool drinks and sand between your toes.

Post by TommyBahama »

Karin wrote:
TommyBahama wrote:
Karin wrote:

well he is still available...surprise the Yankees don't go after him!!

Karin
License to Chill

Post by Karin »

TommyBahama wrote:
Karin wrote:
TommyBahama wrote:
Karin wrote:

He's still a Yankee. . :-? Just made a rehab start and if he doesn't break a nail, get a splinter or trip. . he could pitch this year.

TommyBahama

Post by TommyBahama »

Karin wrote:
TommyBahama wrote:
Karin wrote:
TommyBahama wrote:
Karin wrote:

He's still a Yankee. . :-? Just made a rehab start and if he doesn't break a nail, get a splinter or trip. . he could pitch this year.
I thought he was released!!! or his contract ran out!!!

drunkpirate66

Post by drunkpirate66 »

popcornjack wrote:
drunkpirate66 wrote:
popcornjack wrote:
drunkpirate66 wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol: They won't let us have scissors that don't have rounded edges, but they leave something out you could slaughter a hog with. And I can only hope your reflexes got better as you got older. :wink:
I saw a comic once who had a great act about school supplies. It went something like . . . "did you ever have an ink eraser? It should have been called the paper tearer . . . :lol: " and they made those safe scissors made of plastic but you were allowed to have protractors with a tip on the end made of metal that would kill a cow . . . so you have scissors that won't cut dirt but a weapon that could impale a half a ton steer . . . :lol: "

too funny.

popcornjack
Changing Channels

Post by popcornjack »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

aeroparrot
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 42

Post by aeroparrot »

drunkpirate66 wrote:
TommyBahama wrote:
drunkpirate66 wrote:
TommyBahama wrote:
drunkpirate66 wrote:
TommyBahama wrote:I can see The Mets pulling the trigger on this...Minya is in love with Manny and here is his opportunity..even if it's for the rest of this season..plus the option if they want it....what the mets have to give up ..I'm not sure other then a highly taughted outfielder who's name escapes me..i think it's Hernandez or Martinez!!
I just can't see the Red Sox getting equal value. Best move, IMO, is no move. Red Sox don't trade Manny. Red Sox don't pick up his option and I bet no other team does either at 20 million. Red Sox can then negotiate. Manny does not have the numbers or the age to justify anthing but a pay cut on a 3 year contract.
oh i agree......but i think if the Sox have a chance to reload with Prospects...they would strongly consider....i think they want to get rid of the Headache....you don't know which Manny you will get now and the Sox aren't sure...and we all know when Manny isn't happy...what he is like!!..it's a tough call.
Not so sure. Manny has been stupid many times over his 8 years in Boston (albeit pushing an old man to the floor is pretty bad). They are in the playoff race so there is no way they dump Manny just for prospects. None. The fans would never forgive that. They have to play for this year based on their position in the standings. Manny stays or they get equal value. In other words, Manny stays. They might WANT to get rid of the Headache but they simply can't. Manny in the playoffs has always been clutch and unless they get back an amazing deal from a three team trade that I just don't see coming then Manny will be in the lineup as much as possible.
the are getting fed up with hi, i think...and i think even the fans are...i lsten to WEEI and there aren't as Many Manny supporters...i would float him out there ..because you never know...and of course it would have to be the right deal...i'm a Manny fan as a player..i always thought he was the best right handed hitter in baseball!....so i don't want to see him go...but he is starting to make me wonder..if he will just go through the motions..no matter what someone will give him a big contract!!..i wonder if the Braves would trade Texiera for him..through in Francour or Matt dIAZ!!
doubt Texiera . . . although I would take him in a second for Manny straight up. Youth and power . . .
I heard that there probably no AL teams that will take Texiera because he would be projected as a 1st/dh. Not too many teams need that.
If you want an experience, go to a Jimmy Buffett concert.

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Life is short, live long!!

I'd rather be a wiseass than a dumbass.

drunkpirate66

Post by drunkpirate66 »

aeroparrot wrote:
drunkpirate66 wrote:
TommyBahama wrote:
drunkpirate66 wrote:
TommyBahama wrote:
drunkpirate66 wrote: I just can't see the Red Sox getting equal value. Best move, IMO, is no move. Red Sox don't trade Manny. Red Sox don't pick up his option and I bet no other team does either at 20 million. Red Sox can then negotiate. Manny does not have the numbers or the age to justify anthing but a pay cut on a 3 year contract.
oh i agree......but i think if the Sox have a chance to reload with Prospects...they would strongly consider....i think they want to get rid of the Headache....you don't know which Manny you will get now and the Sox aren't sure...and we all know when Manny isn't happy...what he is like!!..it's a tough call.
Not so sure. Manny has been stupid many times over his 8 years in Boston (albeit pushing an old man to the floor is pretty bad). They are in the playoff race so there is no way they dump Manny just for prospects. None. The fans would never forgive that. They have to play for this year based on their position in the standings. Manny stays or they get equal value. In other words, Manny stays. They might WANT to get rid of the Headache but they simply can't. Manny in the playoffs has always been clutch and unless they get back an amazing deal from a three team trade that I just don't see coming then Manny will be in the lineup as much as possible.
the are getting fed up with hi, i think...and i think even the fans are...i lsten to WEEI and there aren't as Many Manny supporters...i would float him out there ..because you never know...and of course it would have to be the right deal...i'm a Manny fan as a player..i always thought he was the best right handed hitter in baseball!....so i don't want to see him go...but he is starting to make me wonder..if he will just go through the motions..no matter what someone will give him a big contract!!..i wonder if the Braves would trade Texiera for him..through in Francour or Matt dIAZ!!
doubt Texiera . . . although I would take him in a second for Manny straight up. Youth and power . . .
I heard that there probably no AL teams that will take Texiera because he would be projected as a 1st/dh. Not too many teams need that.

Not that it would ever happen but for sh*ts and giggles it would work if the Sox traded Manny for Tex. Again, never going to happen. But Youk can play outfield. Manny goes no where.

aeroparrot
Last Man Standing

Post by aeroparrot »

SMLCHNG wrote:
drunkpirate66 wrote:I meant over .500 for more then a day or two.
But, yeah, Colorado is doing good . . . would love to see Holladay in a Red Sox uniform.
:lol: :lol: I know... I'm nitpicking... ;) Don't think the Rockies will let Matt go... but who knows... :)
The Newark Star Ledger is reporting that Roy Halladay wants out of Toronto. :lol: :lol:

drunkpirate66

Post by drunkpirate66 »

aeroparrot wrote:
SMLCHNG wrote:
But, yeah, Colorado is doing good . . . would love to see Holladay in a Red Sox uniform.
:lol: :lol: I know... I'm nitpicking... ;) Don't think the Rockies will let Matt go... but who knows... :)
The Newark Star Ledger is reporting that Roy Halladay wants out of Toronto. :lol: :lol:
WEEI has been all this for awhile now. Phillies need another pitcher even with Blanton. That would be huge!

drunkpirate66

Post by drunkpirate66 »

Brad Ziegler is just impressive.

BottleofRum
Chewin' on a Honeysuckle Vine
Favorite Buffett Song: He Went to Paris: It's My Job
Favorite Boat Drink: Barbancourt Rhum

Post by BottleofRum »

aeroparrot wrote: I heard that there probably no AL teams that will take Texiera because he would be projected as a 1st/dh. Not too many teams need that.

Here is what I think may happen this off season..... first the Sox hold on to Manny throughout the rest of this season, then they pick up his option for 2009 then trade him, for another team this would be a nice deal because there is no long term commitment so if he flakes out for them they can just let him walk after the 2009 season but if he is a not an issue the new team can pick up his 2010 option. So they would be getting Manny for a 2- year deal for just under $40M and could walk away after 1-year and not lose any money. As opposed to Manny being a free agent and looking for a 4+ year deal and with Scott Boras you know he will be looking for a $100M contract.

I don't think there are any other hitters in the free agent market like Manny that any team could get for 2 year's $40M.

Then the Red sox will seriously consider moving Youklis to LF and go after Texiera for 1B.
Last edited by BottleofRum on July 28, 2008 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
- - “If it doesn't work out there will never be any doubt that the pleasure was worth all the pain.”

aeroparrot
Last Man Standing

Post by aeroparrot »

drunkpirate66 wrote:
aeroparrot wrote:
SMLCHNG wrote:
WEEI has been all this for awhile now. Phillies need another pitcher even with Blanton. That would be huge!
Was getting on your case about not spelling Holliday right. :lol: :lol:

That's all.

aeroparrot
Last Man Standing

Post by aeroparrot »

BottleofRum wrote:
aeroparrot wrote: I heard that there probably no AL teams that will take Texiera because he would be projected as a 1st/dh. Not too many teams need that.

Here is what I think may happen this off season..... first the Sox hold on to Manny throughout the rest of this season, then they pick up his option for 2009 then trade him, for another team this would be a nice deal because there is no long term commitment so if he flakes out for them they can just let him walk after the 2009 season but if he is a not an issue the new team can pick up his 2010 option. So they would be getting Manny for a 2- year deal for just under $40M and could walk away after 1- year and not lose any money. I don't think there are any other hitters in the free agent market like Manny that any team could get for 2 year's $40M.

Then the Red sox will seriously consider moving Youklis to LF and go after Texiera for 1B.
Interesting.

drunkpirate66

Post by drunkpirate66 »

aeroparrot wrote:
BottleofRum wrote:

Here is what I think may happen this off season..... first the Sox hold on to Manny throughout the rest of this season, then they pick up his option for 2009 then trade him, for another team this would be a nice deal because there is no long term commitment so if he flakes out for them they can just let him walk after the 2009 season but if he is a not an issue the new team can pick up his 2010 option. So they would be getting Manny for a 2- year deal for just under $40M and could walk away after 1- year and not lose any money. I don't think there are any other hitters in the free agent market like Manny that any team could get for 2 year's $40M.

Interesting.
The Red Sox will not pick up Manny's option. No way. And if Manny gets traded he will not agree to it unless the team he is sent to agrees to not pick up his option. Manny wants to be a free agent. He might strike a new deal in Boston or not - but that option will not be picked up.