2008 Baseball Thread

In this forum you can discuss anything from sports, news, or what ever is on your mind.

Moderators: SMLCHNG, Saltx3

drunkpirate66
Party at the End of the World
Favorite Buffett Song: Take Another Road
Number of Concerts: 67
Favorite Boat Drink: Beers.

Post by drunkpirate66 »

BottleofRum wrote:
drunkpirate66 wrote:
BottleofRum wrote:
drunkpirate66 wrote:
BottleofRum wrote:I got my Red Sox playoff tickets today, homes games 2 and 3. :D

I am also going to the game this Monday and next Friday so with the 2 playoff games I will be spending a lot of time at my church aka Fenway Park :P

jealous!

Don't be just yet, at least one of those playoff games may have your name on it.
you are good friend and a good man. want to borrow my Romo shirt . . .
Only if you have one for him :lol:

the signature move!
the hit and run is as good as any religion around this time of year . . .

SuperTrooper
Hoot!
Favorite Buffett Song: OPH
Number of Concerts: 1
Favorite Boat Drink: Blue Hawaii

Post by SuperTrooper »

aeroparrot wrote:The top 10 signs your team won't win the pennant.

http://www.fannation.com/si_blogs/the_1 ... posts/5981
8. Your star player thinks Madonna’s his soulmate.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Grand Exalted Bubba of the Order of the Sleepless Knights

Wino you know
God's Own Drunk
Favorite Buffett Song: Far Side of the World & Somewhere Over China
Number of Concerts: 105
Favorite Boat Drink: Beaujalais Villages French Burgundy

Post by Wino you know »

The DEVIL RAYS have clinched a playoff berth. 8)

Tequila Revenge
Lester Polyester
Favorite Boat Drink: cubra libre

Post by Tequila Revenge »

Wino you know wrote:The DEVIL RAYS have clinched a playoff berth. 8)
Rumor has it the Cubbies are in 8)

Congrats Capt. Cubbie
got to stop wishin' got to start fishin'....

Wino you know
God's Own Drunk

Post by Wino you know »

Tequila Revenge wrote:

Congrats Capt. Cubbie
Thanks.
Yeah, they're in, but unless they're still playing at the END of October, as far as I'm concerned, they may as well have finished last in their division.
Unless they make it to the W.S., there's no celebrating going on here.
I hope that doesn't sound like I'm gorging on sour grapes, but year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year AFTER G.D. YEAR, it's been the same old crap!
So either win it all, or go home NOW so I don't have to live through it for another day.

But this year I want it more for my father than anything else.
The ONE chink in his armor is he made me a Cubs fan.

drunkpirate66

Post by drunkpirate66 »

Wino you know wrote:
Tequila Revenge wrote:

Congrats Capt. Cubbie
Thanks.
Yeah, they're in, but unless they're still playing at the END of October, as far as I'm concerned, they may as well have finished last in their division.
Unless they make it to the W.S., there's no celebrating going on here.
I hope that doesn't sound like I'm gorging on sour grapes, but year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year AFTER G.D. YEAR, it's been the same old crap!
So either win it all, or go home NOW so I don't have to live through it for another day.

But this year I want it more for my father than anything else.
The ONE chink in his armor is he made me a Cubs fan.
My favorite part of the Red Sox World Series win in 2004 was not so much knowing my team was the best or that the "curse" was finally lifted. It was all the stories about different generations of people getting together and people leaving champagne bottles on family burial plots and the phone calls to people who who had not spoke to each other in years. So for your father I sincerely hope the Cubbies do it. If they win at Fenway I won't be happy. But I think I might have to stand an applaud. It is about god d*mn time. :lol:

SchoolGirlHeart
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by SchoolGirlHeart »

popcornjack wrote:
BottleofRum wrote:
drunkpirate66 wrote:
BottleofRum wrote:I got my Red Sox playoff tickets today, homes games 2 and 3. :D

I am also going to the game this Monday and next Friday so with the 2 playoff games I will be spending a lot of time at my church aka Fenway Park :P

jealous!

Don't be just yet, at least one of those playoff games may have your name on it.
screw him, is there a waiting list???
Isn't blood thicker than rum? [smilie=battingeyes.gif] [smilie=battingeyes.gif] [smilie=battingeyes.gif] :P

j/k... :wink:
Carry on as you know they would want you to do. ~~JB, dedication to Tim Russert

Take your time
Find your passion
Life goes on until it ends
Don’t stop living
Until then

~~Mac McAnally

Wino you know
God's Own Drunk

Post by Wino you know »

drunkpirate66 wrote:My favorite part of the Red Sox World Series win in 2004 was not so much knowing my team was the best or that the "curse" was finally lifted. It was all the stories about different generations of people getting together and people leaving champagne bottles on family burial plots and the phone calls to people who who had not spoke to each other in years. So for your father I sincerely hope the Cubbies do it. If they win at Fenway I won't be happy. But I think I might have to stand an applaud. It is about god d*mn time. :lol:
Thanks.
Even though the '04 Red Sox came back against my Yankees, I was happy for my best friend in Hawaii, a HARD-CORE Red Sox fan (yes, we really ARE friends), and for HIS father, who is now 83.
It was nice seeing both of them smile, as well as SOME of the Red Sox fans here.
But after the crap my father has been through this year, and knowing he has probably 1-2 years left at most, it would be SO nice to see his/my (other) team get this.
And for me to be able to say SOMETHING nice happened in 2008.

aeroparrot
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 42

Post by aeroparrot »

I haven't seen the news yet but if the Cubs are in congrats on that and, as I said before, if the Red Sox don't make it, I will be disappointed but will be pulling for the Cubs to finally win it all this year.
If you want an experience, go to a Jimmy Buffett concert.

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Life is short, live long!!

I'd rather be a wiseass than a dumbass.

Wino you know
God's Own Drunk

Post by Wino you know »

Thanks, Ravi.
I'm hoping against hope, but not holding my breath.
The reality is there's a team in Anaheim that is a GOOD team and seem to win consistently.
They'll be a real challege to anyone who they go against in the playoffs.

aeroparrot
Last Man Standing

Post by aeroparrot »

Wino you know wrote:Thanks, Ravi.
The reality is there's a team in Anaheim that is a GOOD team and seem to win consistently.
Only issue with Anaheim, they haven't won in the playoffs consistently in their history.

Wino you know
God's Own Drunk

Post by Wino you know »

aeroparrot wrote:
Only issue with Anaheim, they haven't won in the playoffs consistently in their history.
Right.
They've won consistently over the course of their 162 game schedule, and didn't go through any prolonged losing streak.
Once the playoffs start, it's pretty much a crapshoot.
But if the Angels keep playing like they have been, it'll be damn near impossible for anyone to stop them.

BottleofRum
Chewin' on a Honeysuckle Vine
Favorite Buffett Song: He Went to Paris: It's My Job
Favorite Boat Drink: Barbancourt Rhum

Post by BottleofRum »

You mean the South Boston Red Sox? Funny, I haven't seen you callthem that this year :lol:
- - “If it doesn't work out there will never be any doubt that the pleasure was worth all the pain.”

Tequila Revenge
Lester Polyester
Favorite Boat Drink: cubra libre

Post by Tequila Revenge »

aeroparrot wrote:
And the year they DID WIN.... they were all on the juice :D Seriously, there were quite a few on "the list...."
got to stop wishin' got to start fishin'....

Wino you know
God's Own Drunk

Post by Wino you know »

Tequila Revenge wrote:
aeroparrot wrote:
And the year they DID WIN.... they were all on the juice :D Seriously, there were quite a few on "the list...."
They're a different team this year.
They're good, and they win.

They're the team to beat.

aeroparrot
Last Man Standing

Post by aeroparrot »

ESPN is going to have a 7 hour special about Yankee Stadium today before broadcasting the last game ever at the current stadium. :roll: :roll:

TommyBahama
Diamond as Big as The Ritz
Favorite Buffett Song: No particular Favorite
Number of Concerts: 86
Favorite Boat Drink: yes please
Location: Connecticut--May your time be filled with relaxing sunsets,cool drinks and sand between your toes.

Post by TommyBahama »

aeroparrot wrote:ESPN is going to have a 7 hour special about Yankee Stadium today before broadcasting the last game ever at the current stadium. :roll: :roll:
My thing with Yankee Stadium is...it's not the origional....and looks nothing like the Origional( Been to both). It may be on the same grounds..but thats about it to me... It's not like it's Fenway or Wrigley!!...I'm sorry just to much hype for a Stadium that is about 32 years old to me!!!

aeroparrot
Last Man Standing

Post by aeroparrot »

Wino you know wrote:
aeroparrot wrote:
Right.
They've won consistently over the course of their 162 game schedule, and didn't go through any prolonged losing streak.
Once the playoffs start, it's pretty much a crapshoot.
But if the Angels keep playing like they have been, it'll be damn near impossible for anyone to stop them.
True but you can say that about this year's version of the Rays too. They hadn't had too many long losing streaks either, I think only 2 or 3 losing streaks of 4 games or more.

drunkpirate66

Post by drunkpirate66 »

TommyBahama wrote:
aeroparrot wrote:ESPN is going to have a 7 hour special about Yankee Stadium today before broadcasting the last game ever at the current stadium. :roll: :roll:
My thing with Yankee Stadium is...it's not the origional....and looks nothing like the Origional( Been to both). It may be on the same grounds..but thats about it to me... It's not like it's Fenway or Wrigley!!...I'm sorry just to much hype for a Stadium that is about 32 years old to me!!!
I agree - as far as comparing to it Wrigely or Fenway. But Yankee Stadium has occupied and effected the same neighborhood (expect for the renovation years) since the 1920's and because that neighbor is part of the most powerful and visited city in the world it sort of does matter that it is closing . . . . now the fact that it is moving almost right accross the street and will continue to effect the same neighborhood I don't have an answer for :lol: other than Ruth and other greats didn't play on the field that is closing.

But I do agree. 32 years is it.

Karin
License to Chill
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by Karin »

drunkpirate66 wrote:
TommyBahama wrote:
I agree - as far as comparing to it Wrigely or Fenway. But Yankee Stadium has occupied and effected the same neighborhood (expect for the renovation years) since the 1920's and because that neighbor is part of the most powerful and visited city in the world it sort of does matter that it is closing . . . . now the fact that it is moving almost right accross the street and will continue to effect the same neighborhood I don't have an answer for :lol: other than Ruth and other greats didn't play on the field that is closing.

But I do agree. 32 years is it.
?? :-? It is because you aren't Yankee fans. 32 years or 85 years, there is still a lot of history and memories. I wouldn't expect you to be sad. . or care for that matter. (unless you want to go to the new stadium and tickets are 3 x's the price this year!) :roll:

Hell, if they served Sam Adams, I would have considered that an upgrade. :D