2008 Baseball Thread

In this forum you can discuss anything from sports, news, or what ever is on your mind.

Moderators: SMLCHNG, Saltx3

aeroparrot
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 42

Post by aeroparrot »

Thinking about it, I'm not surprised that the Rays made it to the playoffs, I am surprised, a little, that they made it this year. I had said at the beginning of the season, can't remember if it is here but I did say this, that the Rays wouldn't make it this year but as long as they get over .500 for the season, they will be a threat to make it to the playoffs next year.
If you want an experience, go to a Jimmy Buffett concert.

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Life is short, live long!!

I'd rather be a wiseass than a dumbass.

TommyBahama
Diamond as Big as The Ritz
Favorite Buffett Song: No particular Favorite
Number of Concerts: 86
Favorite Boat Drink: yes please
Location: Connecticut--May your time be filled with relaxing sunsets,cool drinks and sand between your toes.

Post by TommyBahama »

Karin wrote:
drunkpirate66 wrote:
TommyBahama wrote:
aeroparrot wrote:ESPN is going to have a 7 hour special about Yankee Stadium today before broadcasting the last game ever at the current stadium. :roll: :roll:
My thing with Yankee Stadium is...it's not the origional....and looks nothing like the Origional( Been to both). It may be on the same grounds..but thats about it to me... It's not like it's Fenway or Wrigley!!...I'm sorry just to much hype for a Stadium that is about 32 years old to me!!!
I agree - as far as comparing to it Wrigely or Fenway. But Yankee Stadium has occupied and effected the same neighborhood (expect for the renovation years) since the 1920's and because that neighbor is part of the most powerful and visited city in the world it sort of does matter that it is closing . . . . now the fact that it is moving almost right accross the street and will continue to effect the same neighborhood I don't have an answer for :lol: other than Ruth and other greats didn't play on the field that is closing.

But I do agree. 32 years is it.
?? :-? It is because you aren't Yankee fans. 32 years or 85 years, there is still a lot of history and memories. I wouldn't expect you to be sad. . or care for that matter. (unless you want to go to the new stadium and tickets are 3 x's the price this year!) :roll:

Hell, if they served Sam Adams, I would have considered that an upgrade. :D

Pre-76....This was Yankee Stadium to me Ruth Gerhig Mantle Berra!!!

Image 76 and on Reggie...Jeter years!!

is there History on the Grounds sure...but the Stadiums are totally different and play totally different!!...i'd Love to see what ESPN would do if Fenway or Wrigley was going to be torn down!!!

Wino you know
God's Own Drunk
Favorite Buffett Song: Far Side of the World & Somewhere Over China
Number of Concerts: 105
Favorite Boat Drink: Beaujalais Villages French Burgundy

Post by Wino you know »

Karin wrote:?? :-? It is because you aren't Yankee fans.
'Nuff said.
It's like being a parrothead. You either get it, or you don't.
32 years or 85 years, there is still a lot of history and memories.
EXACTLY!

There's a REASON for all of today's hoopla-and it can be summed up in four words:

IT'S YANKEE FRIGGIN' STADIUM!

aeroparrot
Last Man Standing

Post by aeroparrot »

Wino you know wrote:
Karin wrote:?? :-? It is because you aren't Yankee fans.
'Nuff said.
It's like being a parrothead. You either get it, or you don't.
32 years or 85 years, there is still a lot of history and memories.
EXACTLY!

There's a REASON for all of today's hoopla-and it can be summed up in four words:

IT'S YANKEE FRIGGIN' STADIUM!

But should the rest of the country be subject to the lovefest at Yankee Stadium? No.

And don't tell me that if Fenway was ever replaced and ESPN did the same thing, Yankee fans won't say the same thing as I did about Yankee stadium because they would.

Wino you know
God's Own Drunk

Post by Wino you know »

aeroparrot wrote:But should the rest of the country be subject to the lovefest at Yankee Stadium? No.
Yes sir.
Because it's Yankee Stadium.
And don't tell me that if Fenway was ever replaced and ESPN did the same thing, Yankee fans won't say the same thing as I did about Yankee stadium because they would.
1. Fenway will NEVER be replaced.
2. If it were, THIS Yankee fan would be sad.
3. Because it's Fenway Park.

aeroparrot
Last Man Standing

Post by aeroparrot »

Wino you know wrote:
aeroparrot wrote:But should the rest of the country be subject to the lovefest at Yankee Stadium? No.
Yes sir.
Because it's Yankee Stadium.
1. Fenway will NEVER be replaced.
2. If it were, THIS Yankee fan would be sad.
3. Because it's Fenway Park.
I was saying what I did in a general sense Garry. There are exceptions.

SMLCHNG
Favorite Buffett Song: Tin Cup Chalice/Lovely Cruise
Number of Concerts: 20
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum Runner

Post by SMLCHNG »

I'm far from a Yankee fan, but I think retiring the stadium would be the same to me as retiring Wrigley Field. :( It's a historic event in the world of sports.

Wino you know
God's Own Drunk

Post by Wino you know »

aeroparrot wrote:I was saying what I did in a general sense Garry. There are exceptions.
I know.

but it's Yankee Stadium. :P

aeroparrot
Last Man Standing

Post by aeroparrot »

Wino you know wrote:
aeroparrot wrote:I was saying what I did in a general sense Garry. There are exceptions.
I know.

but it's Yankee Stadium. :P
I have been to Yankee Stadium and glad to see it go. Best moment (probably stupidest if there weren't any other Red Sox fan sitting near me) was wearing my 2004 World Championship t-shirt to Yankee Stadium for game 2 of the 2005 season. :lol: :lol:

Karin
License to Chill
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by Karin »

aeroparrot wrote:
But should the rest of the country be subject to the lovefest at Yankee Stadium? No.

I am missing something. No one was forcing you to watch. I am a Yankee fan first, but I am a baseball fan. If ESPN had a "7 hour" special on Fenway, I would watch because I can appreciate the history. You should have tuned in. They showed the good and the bad. Whether we like it or not, the 'bad' was part of the history.

I hate generalizations. If I went by you, I would think all Red Sox fans were still bitter and threatened by the Yankees. :-?

Ravi! Lighten up! :D I have been through seasons when the Yankees couldn't win and I have been through seasons where they could do nothing wrong. It was a great time to be a fan. So enjoy your time and stop worrying about what the rest of the world thinks about Yankee stadium!

(Now. . if only the last game wasn't on ESPN. :roll: To be sad and subjected to Joe Morgan just isn't right!)

aeroparrot
Last Man Standing

Post by aeroparrot »

Karin wrote:
aeroparrot wrote:

I am missing something. No one was forcing you to watch. I am a Yankee fan first, but I am a baseball fan. If ESPN had a "7 hour" special on Fenway, I would watch because I can appreciate the history. You should have tuned in. They showed the good and the bad. Whether we like it or not, the 'bad' was part of the history.

I hate generalizations. If I went by you, I would think all Red Sox fans were still bitter and threatened by the Yankees. :-?

Ravi! Lighten up! :D I have been through seasons when the Yankees couldn't win and I have been through seasons where they could do nothing wrong. It was a great time to be a fan. So enjoy your time and stop worrying about what the rest of the world thinks about Yankee stadium!

(Now. . if only the last game wasn't on ESPN. :roll: To be sad and subjected to Joe Morgan just isn't right!)
Nope, not bitter with the Yankees. I was just wondering why 6 hours of coverage of one particular stadium was needed (even if it was the Yankees), I would say the same thing about any of the other "classic" stadiums, 6 hours would be way too much. If they did it like an hour special or something like that either before or after the Baseball Tonight would have been ok.

BottleofRum
Chewin' on a Honeysuckle Vine
Favorite Buffett Song: He Went to Paris: It's My Job
Favorite Boat Drink: Barbancourt Rhum

Post by BottleofRum »

aeroparrot wrote:ESPN is going to have a 7 hour special about Yankee Stadium today before broadcasting the last game ever at the current stadium. :roll: :roll:

I bet the ratings won't be very high for the game, Dal-GB, the Emmys plus I don't think anyone outside of NY really cares. I thought the game was on this afternoon.
SMLCHNG wrote:I'm far from a Yankee fan, but I think retiring the stadium would be the same to me as retiring Wrigley Field. :( It's a historic event in the world of sports.

There is history in Wrigley but much of it is not memories Cubs fans want to remember. Plus the Cubs have never won a championship there.
- - “If it doesn't work out there will never be any doubt that the pleasure was worth all the pain.”

SMLCHNG

Post by SMLCHNG »

BottleofRum wrote:
SMLCHNG wrote:I'm far from a Yankee fan, but I think retiring the stadium would be the same to me as retiring Wrigley Field. :( It's a historic event in the world of sports.

There is history in Wrigley but much of it is not memories Cubs fans want to remember. Plus the Cubs have never won a championship there.
That's why I said, "to me". :) I have a lot of wonderful childhood memories there, win or lose. And yeah, I kinda realize they've never won a championship there. [smilie=battingeyes.gif]

SMLCHNG

Post by SMLCHNG »

Karin wrote: (Now. . if only the last game wasn't on ESPN. :roll: To be sad and subjected to Joe Morgan just isn't right!)
I couldn't agree more, Karin! :roll: :wink:

ragtopW
Last Man Standing

Post by ragtopW »

SMLCHNG wrote:
Karin wrote: (Now. . if only the last game wasn't on ESPN. :roll: To be sad and subjected to Joe Morgan just isn't right!)
You two don't like Joe "it's all about ME" Morgan???

say it ain't so.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

ragtopW
Last Man Standing

Post by ragtopW »

I can say this.. this San Francisco Giants fan
feels very blessed to get to see a game
at Yankee Stadium this year..

as well as blessed to have friends that
love me enough to help me do just that..
8) 8) 8) 8)

Karin
License to Chill

Post by Karin »

aeroparrot wrote:Nope, not bitter with the Yankees. I was just wondering why 6 hours of coverage of one particular stadium was needed (even if it was the Yankees), I would say the same thing about any of the other "classic" stadiums, 6 hours would be way too much. If they did it like an hour special or something like that either before or after the Baseball Tonight would have been ok.
Okay. . I will give you that! :D I forget that the rest of the world wouldn't care about the interviews and the memories of past and present players. :D

A hour. . not enough. They showed so much stuff I forgot about. . Like Pedro's game - Sept 1999, where he had 17 strikeouts. I remembered being p*ssed. . but in awe at the same time. (That was one of the bad parts of history!) :D

SMLCHNG

Post by SMLCHNG »

ragtopW wrote:
SMLCHNG wrote:
Uh, no. ;) But I did enjoy him as a player.

Karin
License to Chill

Post by Karin »

ragtopW wrote:
SMLCHNG wrote:

:D Painful!!! ESPN isn't even showing the game! Reggie was just in the booth and Joe Morgan was kissing his A**!! :roll: Like Reggie Jackson's ego needs to be any bigger!

I have turned it into a drinking game. Every time Joe brings up the "Big Red Machine". . .I drink. [smilie=happydance.gif] Get over it Joe! This game is NOT ABOUT YOU!!!

Wino you know
God's Own Drunk

Post by Wino you know »

It's YANKEE STADIUM.
It's okay to like YOUR OWN team. Hell, it's even okay to hate the Yankees, but it's YANKEE STADIUM, THE cathedral that housed THE most storied franchise in all of professional sports.

Deal with it. 8)
http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/ ... m?bcnn=yes