2008 Baseball Thread

In this forum you can discuss anything from sports, news, or what ever is on your mind.

Moderators: SMLCHNG, Saltx3

aeroparrot
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 42

Post by aeroparrot »

chippewa wrote:
Lightning Bolt wrote:
chippewa wrote:
BottleofRum wrote:
chippewa wrote:No more baseball this year on TBS, thank God. They always seem to put up the wrong shot at the wrong time, missing the real action. And this makes two straight years of having to mute Frank TV commercials 15 times a game. :roll:

Now for the 5 people who will watch the world series they will subjected to "24" and "Prison Break" promos...

Back to the ALCS, the Red Sox really missed Mike Lowell. Who knows if it would have made a difference but i sure would have liked to have Lowell getting those 28 or so AB's in the series instead Mark Kotsay.
Hey, I'm one of those 5. Maybe if I get together with the other 4, they'll schedule the games when we want. Like starting tomorrow, with the first pitch at 7:35 EDT. :D

But, yeah, I forgot about all the Fox promos....I guess we won't be any better in that regard.
I think I'll DVR the game and start my viewing at 7:35 PACIFIC... and skip those damn promos 8)
As much as sporting events schedules are catered to the east coast audience, there are some advantages of living out west. Just don't listen to the radio on your way home. :D
When I was in Hawaii, the Monday Night Football was at 2:30 in the afternoon. Loved that.
If you want an experience, go to a Jimmy Buffett concert.

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Life is short, live long!!

I'd rather be a wiseass than a dumbass.

chippewa
On a Salty Piece of Land

Post by chippewa »

aeroparrot wrote:
chippewa wrote:
Lightning Bolt wrote:
chippewa wrote:
BottleofRum wrote:
chippewa wrote:No more baseball this year on TBS, thank God. They always seem to put up the wrong shot at the wrong time, missing the real action. And this makes two straight years of having to mute Frank TV commercials 15 times a game. :roll:

Now for the 5 people who will watch the world series they will subjected to "24" and "Prison Break" promos...

Back to the ALCS, the Red Sox really missed Mike Lowell. Who knows if it would have made a difference but i sure would have liked to have Lowell getting those 28 or so AB's in the series instead Mark Kotsay.
Hey, I'm one of those 5. Maybe if I get together with the other 4, they'll schedule the games when we want. Like starting tomorrow, with the first pitch at 7:35 EDT. :D

But, yeah, I forgot about all the Fox promos....I guess we won't be any better in that regard.
I think I'll DVR the game and start my viewing at 7:35 PACIFIC... and skip those damn promos 8)
As much as sporting events schedules are catered to the east coast audience, there are some advantages of living out west. Just don't listen to the radio on your way home. :D
When I was in Hawaii, the Monday Night Football was at 2:30 in the afternoon. Loved that.
I kinda like the occasional event at an odd time (for my time zone). Breakfast at Wimbledon, live Olympic events in the middle of the night, America's Cup races from Australia years ago....and mid-week Buffett shows starting at 11:15 p.m.

kitty
On a Salty Piece of Land
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by kitty »

Afternoon Golfer wrote:This might be the lowest TV ratings in history for a World Series.
I agree...who really cares??

Hoosier PH
License to Chill

Post by Hoosier PH »

kitty wrote:
Afternoon Golfer wrote:This might be the lowest TV ratings in history for a World Series.
I do. Really wish my team was there but I am a baseball fan and will watch the World Series regardless.

Karin
License to Chill

Post by Karin »

Hoosier PH wrote:
kitty wrote:
I do. Really wish my team was there but I am a baseball fan and will watch the World Series regardless.
I don't care. . but, that is why I will watch. Zero vested interest. . no emotional involvement with wanting either team to win or lose. . .no stress. . .just watching the series. . Kind of looking forward to it. :D

I think Rays in 7.

TommyBahama
Diamond as Big as The Ritz
Favorite Buffett Song: No particular Favorite
Number of Concerts: 86
Favorite Boat Drink: yes please
Location: Connecticut--May your time be filled with relaxing sunsets,cool drinks and sand between your toes.

Post by TommyBahama »

Hoosier PH wrote:
kitty wrote:
i'll watch!!!...i sorta like the Tampa underdog story!!...Underdog as at the beginning of the season nobody expected them to even be mentioned for World Series or Playoffs!!

kitty
On a Salty Piece of Land

Post by kitty »

Karin wrote:
Hoosier PH wrote:
kitty wrote:
I don't care. . but, that is why I will watch. Zero vested interest. . no emotional involvement with wanting either team to win or lose. . .no stress. . .just watching the series. . Kind of looking forward to it. :D

I think Rays in 7.
Karin!!!!!! :o

oph
At the Bama Breeze
Favorite Buffett Song: One Particular Harbour
Number of Concerts: 5

Post by oph »

Vegas odds favor Rays to win Series over Phillies

LAS VEGAS (AP)—Las Vegas sports books favor the Tampa Bay Rays to win the World Series over the Philadelphia Phillies and would owe huge payouts if the American League champions prevail.

Oddsmakers say enough bettors took the Rays early in the year at long-shot prices to force books to adjust lines to encourage bets on the Phillies.

Sean Van Patten at Las Vegas Sports Consultants says the Rays are favored at minus-$1.35, meaning a gambler would need to bet $1.35 to be paid $1 if Tampa Bay wins.

Van Patten puts the Phillies at plus-$1.15, meaning a $1 bet would earn $1.15 if Philadelphia wins.

Las Vegas Hilton race and sports book director Jay Kornegay says before the start of the season the Rays were a 200-1 shot for the title.

Source
God is great, Beer is good and People are crazy
-=-=-
You aren't old when your hair turns grey,
You aren't old when it falls away,
But if your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill,
Then you know that you're over the hill

SMLCHNG
Favorite Buffett Song: Tin Cup Chalice/Lovely Cruise
Number of Concerts: 20
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum Runner

Post by SMLCHNG »

I'll be watching.. :) I just love baseball whether my team is in it or not. And as Karin said, it's a LOT less stressful! :D

Wino you know
God's Own Drunk
Favorite Buffett Song: Far Side of the World & Somewhere Over China
Number of Concerts: 105
Favorite Boat Drink: Beaujalais Villages French Burgundy

Post by Wino you know »

aeroparrot wrote:When I was in Hawaii, the Monday Night Football was at 2:30 in the afternoon. Loved that.
I loved it too, but I HATED getting up at 6:30 AM every Sunday to watch the weekly games.
but I did :lol:

aeroparrot
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 42

Post by aeroparrot »

Wino you know wrote:
aeroparrot wrote:When I was in Hawaii, the Monday Night Football was at 2:30 in the afternoon. Loved that.
I loved it too, but I HATED getting up at 6:30 AM every Sunday to watch the weekly games.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Ah but you did love having 8 AM beers right?
If you want an experience, go to a Jimmy Buffett concert.

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Life is short, live long!!

I'd rather be a wiseass than a dumbass.

Wino you know
God's Own Drunk
Favorite Buffett Song: Far Side of the World & Somewhere Over China
Number of Concerts: 105
Favorite Boat Drink: Beaujalais Villages French Burgundy

Post by Wino you know »

aeroparrot wrote:
Wino you know wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Ah but you did love having 8 AM beers right?
NOPE!
BLOODY MARYS at 8:00 AM!

no beer until 10 AM

docandjeanie
Party at the End of the World
Favorite Buffett Song: Migration, Love in the library, Happily Ever after
Number of Concerts: 40
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum Jumbie

Post by docandjeanie »

Go Phillies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ImageImageImage

CaptainP
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: OPH
Number of Concerts: 39
Favorite Boat Drink: Delicious Trappist Ales

Post by CaptainP »

oph wrote:LAS VEGAS (AP)—Las Vegas sports books favor the Tampa Bay Rays to win the World Series over the Philadelphia Phillies and would owe huge payouts if the American League champions prevail.

Las Vegas Hilton race and sports book director Jay Kornegay says before the start of the season the Rays were a 200-1 shot for the title.
You don't think they're a tad nervous, do ya?

CaptainP
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: OPH
Number of Concerts: 39
Favorite Boat Drink: Delicious Trappist Ales

Post by CaptainP »

Frank Caliendo has a TV show? When did that happen? How did I miss that?

popcornjack
Changing Channels
Favorite Buffett Song: Biloxi
Number of Concerts: 75
Favorite Boat Drink: Dos Equis

Post by popcornjack »

CaptainP wrote:
oph wrote:LAS VEGAS (AP)—Las Vegas sports books favor the Tampa Bay Rays to win the World Series over the Philadelphia Phillies and would owe huge payouts if the American League champions prevail.

You don't think they're a tad nervous, do ya?
I say no. Think of the probable number of people who put money down on Tampa, and then think of all the people who bet on teams that had a much more likely chance of winning, and I think they'll be fine. maybe not clear as much as they hoped, but it's Vegas. the house always wins.
Take me for what I am, a star newly emerging.
I accept the new found man, and I set the twilight reeling.

Lightning Bolt
Favorite Buffett Song: Tryin To Reason...
Number of Concerts: 17
Location: Mt. Helix looking east to the future, west to this sunset

Post by Lightning Bolt »

I'll offer up the forecast that Rays win Series, 4-1

They'll open at home, they're flying high after de-throning the Sox, they're hitting and pitching well at the right time... and they're NOT coming off a 9-day layoff.
We all saw what that did to the Rockies last year... :roll:
$#@&...only Vegas again?? Padres ...gotta start believin'!Bring on '14 Spring Training!

drunkpirate66
Favorite Buffett Song: Take Another Road
Number of Concerts: 67
Favorite Boat Drink: Beers.

Post by drunkpirate66 »

Over under Ryan Howard K's per game at 1.5.

I take the over.
the hit and run is as good as any religion around this time of year . . .

mikemck
Gypsies in the palace

Post by mikemck »

TommyBahama wrote:
Hoosier PH wrote:
kitty wrote:
i'll watch!!!...i sorta like the Tampa underdog story!!...Underdog as at the beginning of the season nobody expected them to even be mentioned for World Series or Playoffs!!
Tampa Bay is not an underdog. They earned their way to the World Series just like the Phillies did.
"Do you realize that if Sonny Corleone had EZ Pass, he'd still be alive today?" - Larry Andersen

blackjack
At the Bama Breeze
Favorite Buffett Song: One Particular Harbor or Little Miss Magic
Number of Concerts: 17
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum Runner

Post by blackjack »

Time for another Tampa team to take out the Philly trash! :pirate:

Bucs took out the Eagles a few years back

Lightning took out the Flyers

Now it's the Rays' turn.