2008 Baseball Thread

In this forum you can discuss anything from sports, news, or what ever is on your mind.

Moderators: SMLCHNG, Saltx3

Karin
License to Chill
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by Karin »

CaptainP wrote:That's why it's nice that everyone here has known for years that I'm a Rays fan. I hate being accused of band-wagon jumping.
Answer me this. . .(and I am not questioning your fanhood!) Why do I not see a Devil Rays Shirt in the stands? Am I to believe the the "fans" ditched their Devil Rays Shirts and all bought new ones?

So. . if you were to have tix to the game. . What would you wear? :D

God I am bored! :roll: This is what I focus on in Game 1. ( Buck and McCarver do that to me)

Congrats Philly. I still think Rays in 7. .

chippewa
On a Salty Piece of Land

Post by chippewa »

Karin wrote:
CaptainP wrote:That's why it's nice that everyone here has known for years that I'm a Rays fan. I hate being accused of band-wagon jumping.
Answer me this. . .(and I am not questioning your fanhood!) Why do I not see a Devil Rays Shirt in the stands? Am I to believe the the "fans" ditched their Devil Rays Shirts and all bought new ones?

God I am bored! :roll: This is what I focus on in Game 1. ( Buck and McCarver do that to me)

There were no fans when they were the Devil Rays. Heck, there weren't too many a month ago. All that Rays gear was sold in the last two weeks. :lol:

...and I don't mind Joe Buck, but I hear you on Tim McCarver.

Karin
License to Chill
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by Karin »

chippewa wrote:
Karin wrote:

There were no fans when they were the Devil Rays. Heck, there weren't too many a month ago. All that Rays gear was sold in the last two weeks. :lol:

That's what I don't get! Exciting year. .young players. . .(although I haven't forgotten about Eliott Johnson coming in hard at the plate into Francisco Cervelli, breaking his wrist.) Even the band wagon jumpers didn't show up until late. What up with the empty seats at the stadium??

Buck doesn't say the stupid things McCarver does. ..but . monotone voice. . .reminds me of Charlie Brown's teacher. :wink:

jonesbeach10
Here We Are
Favorite Buffett Song: Weather is Here Wish You Were Beautiful
Number of Concerts: 9
Location: Living with my feet in DC and my head in the cool blue north

Post by jonesbeach10 »

Karin wrote:
chippewa wrote:
Karin wrote:

That's what I don't get! Exciting year. .young players. . .(although I haven't forgotten about Eliott Johnson coming in hard at the plate into Francisco Cervelli, breaking his wrist.) Even the band wagon jumpers didn't show up until late. What up with the empty seats at the stadium??

Buck doesn't say the stupid things McCarver does. ..but . monotone voice. . .reminds me of Charlie Brown's teacher. :wink:
In all fairness, you don't build fan bases overnight. Usually, you don't get one until the team starts winning. You can't plop a professional sports team in a city and demand that the city residents sell out every game, especially if the new team is a last place team as the Rays have been for the past 10 years. The real test of how committed this Rays' fan base is going to be when the Rays have another 70 win season and then see how many seats are selling?

Sometimes more than others,
we see who and what and where we are,
I'm just a one man band,
With my feet in the sand,
Tonight I just need my guitar

jonesbeach10
Here We Are
Favorite Buffett Song: Weather is Here Wish You Were Beautiful
Number of Concerts: 9
Location: Living with my feet in DC and my head in the cool blue north

Post by jonesbeach10 »

And as for McCarver, why is so hard to find good color commentators? Across all sports, it seems like all the high profile color commentators s*ck: Tony Kornheiser on MNF, McCarver, Joe Morgan, Bill Walton before ABC got the rights to NBA games, even the Yankees radio color commentator Suzyn Waldman is horrible. (Insert Troy Aikman: "You're exactly right, Steven") I don't even think Madden is as good as he used to be.

Sometimes more than others,
we see who and what and where we are,
I'm just a one man band,
With my feet in the sand,
Tonight I just need my guitar

docandjeanie
Party at the End of the World
Favorite Buffett Song: Migration, Love in the library, Happily Ever after
Number of Concerts: 40
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum Jumbie

Post by docandjeanie »

Phillies take game 1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cole Hamels and Brad Lidge, good job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hate McCarver

I agree that they had no fans until just recently, ever watch a game down there, stands were empty.

I heard on the radio today that Tampa Tribune, had to give lessons to the general public on baseball, so that the "fans" could understand the basics of baseball :roll:
ImageImageImage

Wino you know
God's Own Drunk
Favorite Buffett Song: Far Side of the World & Somewhere Over China
Number of Concerts: 105
Favorite Boat Drink: Beaujalais Villages French Burgundy

Post by Wino you know »

docandjeanie wrote:I heard on the radio today that Tampa Tribune, had to give lessons to the general public on baseball, so that the "fans" could understand the basics of baseball :roll:
The same thing happened in 1997 when the Florida (Miami) Marlins were in the world series for the first time. Which I find funny, because there's always been minor league baseball teams (and spring training sites) all over Florida. Last time I checked, major league baseball was played using the same rules as minor league baseball.

docandjeanie
Favorite Buffett Song: Migration, Love in the library, Happily Ever after
Number of Concerts: 40
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum Jumbie

Post by docandjeanie »

Wino you know wrote:
docandjeanie wrote:I heard on the radio today that Tampa Tribune, had to give lessons to the general public on baseball, so that the "fans" could understand the basics of baseball :roll:
The same thing happened in 1997 when the Florida (Miami) Marlins were in the world series for the first time. Which I find funny, because there's always been minor league baseball teams (and spring training sites) all over Florida. Last time I checked, major league baseball was played using the same rules as minor league baseball.
Yep, I go see the phillies in clearwater every March, so go figure. :lol:

I watch the Marlin games a lot on tv, never anyone in the stands there either.
ImageImageImage

Wino you know
God's Own Drunk

Post by Wino you know »

docandjeanie wrote:Yep, I go see the phillies in clearwater every March, so go figure. :lol:

With the exception of their two world series years of 1997 and 2003, the Marlins were drawing less fans for home games than the Montreal Expos.

TommyBahama
Diamond as Big as The Ritz
Favorite Buffett Song: No particular Favorite
Number of Concerts: 86
Favorite Boat Drink: yes please
Location: Connecticut--May your time be filled with relaxing sunsets,cool drinks and sand between your toes.

Post by TommyBahama »

Wino you know wrote:
docandjeanie wrote:Yep, I go see the phillies in clearwater every March, so go figure. :lol:

With the exception of their two world series years of 1997 and 2003, the Marlins were drawing less fans for home games than the Montreal Expos.
The Problem with the Marlins Stadium is it's in the middle of no where. Same with Tampa. They need to have some kind of train access to these parks or bring closer to there respective cities. Where people can get to them easier!!. It's not like football where people will tailgate and it's a all day event.

Wino you know
God's Own Drunk

Post by Wino you know »

As an aside, in the BISARO baseball world, I think it's funny how Tropicana Stadium IN ST. PETERSBURG has a dome (It's FLORIDA, DUH) and when the new stadium in Minneapolis opens in 2010, it will NOT have a dome.
Playoff games in late October at NIGHT in Minneapolis.
Break out the t-shirts & flip flops. :lol:

TommyBahama
Location: Connecticut--May your time be filled with relaxing sunsets,cool drinks and sand between your toes.

Post by TommyBahama »

Wino you know wrote:As an aside, in the BISARO baseball world, I think it's funny how Tropicana Stadium IN ST. PETERSBURG has a dome (It's FLORIDA, DUH) and when the new stadium in Minneapolis opens in 2010, it will NOT have a dome.
They used it for Hockey and basketball before The Rays were there. Also with all the summer rain down there. They need one!!

Wino you know
God's Own Drunk

Post by Wino you know »

TommyBahama wrote:
Wino you know wrote:As an aside, in the BISARO baseball world, I think it's funny how Tropicana Stadium IN ST. PETERSBURG has a dome (It's FLORIDA, DUH) and when the new stadium in Minneapolis opens in 2010, it will NOT have a dome.
They used it for Hockey and basketball before The Rays were there. Also with all the summer rain down there. They need one!!
True. I understand they need a dome in that area, but I would also think dome would be MANDATORY for the Twin Cities.

nutmeg
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: Barefoot Children (this week)
Number of Concerts: 10

Post by nutmeg »

Wino you know wrote:
TommyBahama wrote:
True. I understand they need a dome in that area, but I would also think dome would be MANDATORY for the Twin Cities.
Nah! Makes the players and fans more "hardy" I love natural grass open air stadiums....
Friends Walk Together in Life's Garden
ImageImageImage
http://heartofmichiganrescue.com/

TommyBahama

Post by TommyBahama »

Wino you know wrote:
TommyBahama wrote:
I agree...but Chicago and Detroit are open air...as is most of the Northeast teams.

drunkpirate66
Favorite Buffett Song: Take Another Road
Number of Concerts: 67
Favorite Boat Drink: Beers.

Post by drunkpirate66 »

TommyBahama wrote:
Wino you know wrote:
TommyBahama wrote:
I agree...but Chicago and Detroit are open air...as is most of the Northeast teams.

Doesn't it rain alot in Seattle . . . . . . .

oh wait! They actually built a nice, functional stadium for their fans out there. What a concept: spend some of the fans money on something they will like. Weird thinkers out in the Pacific Northwest indeed. :lol:
the hit and run is as good as any religion around this time of year . . .

chippewa
On a Salty Piece of Land

Post by chippewa »

jonesbeach10 wrote:And as for McCarver, why is so hard to find good color commentators? Across all sports, it seems like all the high profile color commentators s*ck: Tony Kornheiser on MNF, McCarver, Joe Morgan, Bill Walton before ABC got the rights to NBA games, even the Yankees radio color commentator Suzyn Waldman is horrible. (Insert Troy Aikman: "You're exactly right, Steven") I don't even think Madden is as good as he used to be.
I think part of the reason is that now they only hire ex-players to be color commentators. Yes, they might have the knowledge from playing, but their background is not in communication. A sportswriter or broadcaster that's been on the baseball beat for 20 years could certainly do color commentary, as well as play-by-play. Take the example of radio, where several teams have two professional broadcasters that take turns with play-by-play and commentary.

On your other post, I agree that it takes time to build a fan base, with Denver being the exception. I think they added seats as Coors Field was being built because they attracted so many fans in their first season. I think FL has so much baseball in the spring, it's just hard to keep that excitement level all summer long.

CaptainP
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: OPH
Number of Concerts: 39
Favorite Boat Drink: Delicious Trappist Ales

Post by CaptainP »

Karin wrote:

I would wear the stuff I bought when I went to watch Spring Training in 2002.

CaptainP
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: OPH
Number of Concerts: 39
Favorite Boat Drink: Delicious Trappist Ales

Post by CaptainP »

Trivia:

What is the largest US City that does not have a major league sports franchise (MLB, NFL, NBA, NHL)?

drunkpirate66
Favorite Buffett Song: Take Another Road
Number of Concerts: 67
Favorite Boat Drink: Beers.

Post by drunkpirate66 »

CaptainP wrote:Trivia:

What is the largest US City that does not have a major league sports franchise (MLB, NFL, NBA, NHL)?

It is either Las Vegas, NV or Austin, TX; I believe.
the hit and run is as good as any religion around this time of year . . .