2008 Baseball Thread

In this forum you can discuss anything from sports, news, or what ever is on your mind.

Moderators: SMLCHNG, Saltx3

TommyBahama
Diamond as Big as The Ritz
Favorite Buffett Song: No particular Favorite
Number of Concerts: 86
Favorite Boat Drink: yes please
Location: Connecticut--May your time be filled with relaxing sunsets,cool drinks and sand between your toes.

Post by TommyBahama »

BottleofRum wrote:
CaptainP wrote:
drunkpirate66 wrote:
CaptainP wrote:Trivia:

What is the largest US City that does not have a major league sports franchise (MLB, NFL, NBA, NHL)?

It is either Las Vegas, NV or Austin, TX; I believe.
Austin is correct, closely followed by El Paso

On the flip side, what is the smallest US city that has a major league sports franchise (MLB, NFL, NBA, NHL)? Green Bay?

I didn't watch the game last night but did I read that correct, the Backstreet Bays sang the national anthem? Is this the same boy band from the 1990's? I they really still around? :-? or is it a new band using the same name?
How about Foxboro???

SMLCHNG
Favorite Buffett Song: Tin Cup Chalice/Lovely Cruise
Number of Concerts: 20
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum Runner

Post by SMLCHNG »

Joe Maddon looks like Spencer Tracy to me. :lol:

Karin
License to Chill
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by Karin »

:D :D :D HE DOES!!! Funny!

Can't believe I didn't see that before.

chippewa
On a Salty Piece of Land

Post by chippewa »

Lightning Bolt wrote:
Frank4 wrote:
chippewa wrote:Did anybody steal a base yesterday? Free taco when they do. :D

So now you got that goin' for ya.....
Which is nice :D
I can't wait to eat a taco on Tuesday!! :P :P :P
I guess it won't be for lunch, though. :(

Between 2 and 6 p.m., local time.

BottleofRum
Chewin' on a Honeysuckle Vine
Favorite Buffett Song: He Went to Paris: It's My Job
Favorite Boat Drink: Barbancourt Rhum

Post by BottleofRum »

I came across these pictures yesterday, they are from the 1912 world series and it shows a large group of men gathered around a "high tech" scoreboard in the middle of what I think is Washington, DC getting updates on the world series game.

This scoreboard doesn’t really look all that different from the online gamecasts that ESPN, CBS, Yahoo! and all the other online media outlets use today to pass along game information to those sitting in front of computers. It is like the 1912 version of a the WWW.

These pictures are HQ so I put the links instead of the pictures
http://www.shorpy.com/files/images/01577a.jpg

http://www.shorpy.com/files/images/01551a.jpg

In the second picture I looked and I can't find one guy not wearing a hat.
- - “If it doesn't work out there will never be any doubt that the pleasure was worth all the pain.”

drunkpirate66
Party at the End of the World
Favorite Buffett Song: Take Another Road
Number of Concerts: 67
Favorite Boat Drink: Beers.

Post by drunkpirate66 »

Ryan Howard: 2008 Post Season

11 strike outs in 11 games.

40 atbats and 3 RBI.

:lol:
the hit and run is as good as any religion around this time of year . . .

Hoosier PH
License to Chill
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by Hoosier PH »

http://awfulannouncing.blogspot.com/...dd-costas.html

MLB Network Looking To Add Costas

It's been awhile since Bob Costas was involved in Baseball, but according to Sports Business Journal's, John Ourand, he and the MLB Network are very close to striking a deal....

MLB Network has been talking with Bob Costas about taking an on-air role with the network. The two sides still are not particularly close on a contract, sources said, but the network has discussed using Costas -- a noted baseball fan -- on some of its game coverage, which will consist of at least one game per week, or its studio coverage, which will be on air for several hours per night during the season, starting at 7:00pm ET. Costas already shuffles between two networks, NBC and HBO. MLB Network is launching into about 50 million homes January 1. Though it has not made any talent announcements yet, the channel is expected to hire on-air talent Harold Reynolds and Hazel Mae.

aeroparrot
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 42

Post by aeroparrot »

TommyBahama wrote:
BottleofRum wrote:
CaptainP wrote:
drunkpirate66 wrote:

What is the largest US City that does not have a major league sports franchise (MLB, NFL, NBA, NHL)?

On the flip side, what is the smallest US city that has a major league sports franchise (MLB, NFL, NBA, NHL)? Green Bay?

I didn't watch the game last night but did I read that correct, the Backstreet Bays sang the national anthem? Is this the same boy band from the 1990's? I they really still around? :-? or is it a new band using the same name?
How about Foxboro???
Technically speaking, it would be close. The three other "smallest cities" to consider would be East Rutherford, NJ; Landover, MD; and Orchard (sp??) Park (I think that's where the Bills play), NY.
If you want an experience, go to a Jimmy Buffett concert.

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Life is short, live long!!

I'd rather be a wiseass than a dumbass.

chippewa
On a Salty Piece of Land

Post by chippewa »

Hoosier PH wrote:http://awfulannouncing.blogspot.com/...dd-costas.html

MLB Network Looking To Add Costas

It's been awhile since Bob Costas was involved in Baseball, but according to Sports Business Journal's, John Ourand, he and the MLB Network are very close to striking a deal....

MLB Network has been talking with Bob Costas about taking an on-air role with the network. The two sides still are not particularly close on a contract, sources said, but the network has discussed using Costas -- a noted baseball fan -- on some of its game coverage, which will consist of at least one game per week, or its studio coverage, which will be on air for several hours per night during the season, starting at 7:00pm ET. Costas already shuffles between two networks, NBC and HBO. MLB Network is launching into about 50 million homes January 1. Though it has not made any talent announcements yet, the channel is expected to hire on-air talent Harold Reynolds and Hazel Mae.
Well, if we can't make him commissioner, at least he can broadcast the games. Worst thing about NBC not covering baseball is no Costas doing the games.

drunkpirate66

Post by drunkpirate66 »

aeroparrot wrote:
TommyBahama wrote:
BottleofRum wrote:
CaptainP wrote:
drunkpirate66 wrote:

How about Foxboro???
Technically speaking, it would be close. The three other "smallest cities" to consider would be East Rutherford, NJ; Landover, MD; and Orchard (sp??) Park (I think that's where the Bills play), NY.

Foxboro is smaller then Green Bay in population. Unless google lied to me.

aeroparrot
Last Man Standing

Post by aeroparrot »

drunkpirate66 wrote:
aeroparrot wrote:
TommyBahama wrote:
BottleofRum wrote:
CaptainP wrote:
drunkpirate66 wrote:

How about Foxboro???

Not denying that, Foxboro is smaller than most cities that have teams. I'm just going by the logic of the "city" each team plays in, like the Pats in Foxboro, Jets and Giants in East Rutherford, Redskins in Landover, etc.

drunkpirate66

Post by drunkpirate66 »

aeroparrot wrote:
drunkpirate66 wrote:
aeroparrot wrote:
TommyBahama wrote:
BottleofRum wrote:
CaptainP wrote:Austin is correct, closely followed by El Paso

How about Foxboro???

Not denying that, Foxboro is smaller than most cities that have teams. I'm just going by the logic of the "city" each team plays in, like the Pats in Foxboro, Jets and Giants in East Rutherford, Redskins in Landover, etc.

Foxboro's population is about 16,000. East Rutherford and Landover must both have more then that.

chippewa
On a Salty Piece of Land

Post by chippewa »

aeroparrot wrote:
drunkpirate66 wrote:
aeroparrot wrote:
TommyBahama wrote:
BottleofRum wrote:
CaptainP wrote:Austin is correct, closely followed by El Paso

How about Foxboro???

Yeah, without Boston there wouldn't be a Foxboro Patriots. But Green Bay is the smallest populated area with a team. You know what I'm trying to say... :-?

drunkpirate66

Post by drunkpirate66 »

chippewa wrote:
aeroparrot wrote:
drunkpirate66 wrote:
aeroparrot wrote:
TommyBahama wrote:
BottleofRum wrote:

How about Foxboro???

Yeah, without Boston there wouldn't be a Foxboro Patriots. But Green Bay is the smallest populated area with a team. You know what I'm trying to say... :-?

I honestly don't. Foxboro is no where near Boston. It isn't even in the same county. There are over 80,000 more people in Green Bay then Foxboro. The towns that surround Foxboro like Norton, Franklin, and Norfolk are all tiny . . . combined they don't equal the population of Green Bay.

popcornjack
Changing Channels
Favorite Buffett Song: Biloxi
Number of Concerts: 75
Favorite Boat Drink: Dos Equis

Post by popcornjack »

hey doofus, I think he means the greater metropolitan area, like in a 25 mile radius type of thingy.

(I don't think I've used the word "doofus" in a while. It felt good. :lol: :lol: )
Take me for what I am, a star newly emerging.
I accept the new found man, and I set the twilight reeling.

chippewa
On a Salty Piece of Land

Post by chippewa »

Well, I don't think the NFL would have put a team in Foxboro if the city of Boston was never founded. Not enough population base, among other things. Just like the NBA wouldn't put a team in Auburn Hills (more than 30 miles from Detroit). In fact, these teams started out playing in the big cities, then moved out. Green Bay is so much smaller than these cities, that in today's world they would never qualify to have a NFL franchise. But they have history and great fan support, they're truly the only game in town. You can play one mile outside the city limits, or an hour away, but your still associated with the largest city nearby.

Google maps says Gillette Stadium is 27 miles from Boston Common. I'd call that pretty close.

drunkpirate66

Post by drunkpirate66 »

Doofus Here,

Chipp said Boston is 27 miles outside Boston using google maps. That is outside your 25 mile radius Popcorn. Who is the doofus now, Tough GUY! :lol:

aeroparrot
Last Man Standing

Post by aeroparrot »

drunkpirate66 wrote:
aeroparrot wrote:
drunkpirate66 wrote:
aeroparrot wrote:
TommyBahama wrote:
BottleofRum wrote:

How about Foxboro???

Foxboro's population is about 16,000. East Rutherford and Landover must both have more then that.
Population of East Rutherford is 8,716

Population of "Greater" Landover is 22,900.

drunkpirate66

Post by drunkpirate66 »

Just an observation, but today's baseball thread could be used as a model to how the entire country feels about the World Series (outside Philly anways. I still refuse to believe anyone in Tampa cares about the Rays since they didn't show up all year). We are talking about population around stadiums. I mean, we actually find talking about population more interesting then the World Series. :lol: Too funny.

aeroparrot
Last Man Standing

Post by aeroparrot »

drunkpirate66 wrote:Just an observation, but today's baseball thread could be used as a model to how the entire country feels about the World Series (outside Philly anways. I still refuse to believe anyone in Tampa cares about the Rays since they didn't show up all year). We are talking about population around stadiums. I mean, we actually find talking about population more interesting then the World Series. :lol: Too funny.
:lol:

Did you know that the population of...... :P :P