HEALTHY LIVING

In this forum you can discuss anything from sports, news, or what ever is on your mind.

Moderator: SMLCHNG

johnson2113
Hoot!
Favorite Buffett Song: Trying To Reason With Hurricane Season
Number of Concerts: 7
Favorite Boat Drink: Dark & Stormy, Bourbon & Branch, Bloody Mary

Re: HEALTHY LIVING

Post by johnson2113 »

I've don't know why I have had a hard time getting out of this rut I had been, but lately everything is working great. I had wanted to get back under 200 pounds by the time we went to Tampa. I was going down and down and down, and yesterday I jumped up a pound, I figured I had blown it. I got up this morning, BOOM, 199! I went out and had a phenomenal run this morning. Five miles in 41 minutes. That blows away my best 5 mile run by a long shot. I am looking forward to getting back on some flat pavement. I never thought I could run on gravel and on these hills like that, when conditions are perfect, sky is the limit.

Get 'er on!!!
Joetown Parrothead
At the Bama Breeze
Favorite Buffett Song: Wino and I know
Number of Concerts: 30
Favorite Boat Drink: Miller Lite & Cabo

Post by Joetown Parrothead »

Down 17 more since August... Need 25 more before Belize in Feb. That will be what I weighed when I got of the Army in 84...
johnson2113
Hoot!

Post by johnson2113 »

Joetown Parrothead wrote:Down 17 more since August... Need 25 more before Belize in Feb. That will be what I weighed when I got of the Army in 84...
Great to hear BR!!!!! Keep it up. Ambergris isn't going to know what's going to hit it!
johnson2113
Hoot!

Post by johnson2113 »

I've been wanting to come in an post, but the end of the night I'm too worn out to remember to do it.

I can't recommend Skogg and kettle bells any higher. I have just been getting better and better and bigger and bigger. When I first started I was using a 15lb. bell. Now I've worked my way up to a 45lb bell. I struggled with it for a while. I got dedicated and followed the program and have seen improvement from week to week.

I was playing around with a 25 and just about threw the damn thing across the room. My runs have been great. I hate that the weather is getting colder takes me a little longer to get warmed up and go. But once I do it's insanity. I've got this big, long hill I have been running.

A lot of people take it easy going up the hill, I get about 3/4 of mile in before I get to it and I figure if I'm coming back down it and letting gravity fling me down it at paces I never thought I could run, the least I can do is run up it as hard as I can.

My biceps are as big as they have been in a long time. I'm using heavier weights than I can ever remember. Push-ups, used to have them now I can just throw down and go and go.

I found my first workout journal from 2008,

Now I'm running about two and half times as far in the same amount of time. This is the hardest time of the year folks. Halloween to New Year's. You can either walk up the hill or run it, I know which one I'm going to pick.
conched
Last Man Standing

Post by conched »

Joetown Parrothead wrote:Down 17 more since August... Need 25 more before Belize in Feb. That will be what I weighed when I got of the Army in 84...
Good good good good good!

Wish I could get motivated to watch my diet.
johnson2113
Hoot!

Post by johnson2113 »

conched wrote:
Good good good good good!

Wish I could get motivated to watch my diet.
I don't know what the trigger is. I wish I did. Mom and I had been planning to work as hard as we could before Tampa in August. This was back in November of last year. I pushed and pushed and she pushed back. I half-assed it most of the year. I did get where I was aiming for, somewhat. But all my clothes by then were too big and I looked terrible.

Once I got back I was focused, driven, motivated. I've stayed on top of everything. Diet, exercise, staying active. And something has clicked with mom, because she is doing the same. Doing great, getting her workouts in, following her diet, drinking her water.

You can do it!!
johnson2113
Hoot!

Post by johnson2113 »

I've been doing pull ups, I could never do pull ups, I'm just on fire right now. Staying motivated, filling my days with good stuff, taking vitamins. I've dropped all of my 2011 weight. I'm liking what I'm seeing.

conched
Last Man Standing

Post by conched »

What a transformation for you.

Still struggling and gaining. :(
johnson2113
Hoot!

Post by johnson2113 »

conched wrote:What a transformation for you.

Still struggling and gaining. :(

I know how it goes, you just have to keep pushing forward.
johnson2113
Hoot!

Post by johnson2113 »

Alright, alright, alright.

I still have a lot of stuff to wrap up before the first day of the new year is over and I've got a lot of stuff to say. The fun is over folks! I hope everyone had a great holiday season and I really hope you stay focused on healthy living in between Halloween, Thanksgiving, and everything between the New Year.

And I'm easily distracted right now. Gotta have some great hashtags for the new year.

Here are a few I will be twittering, tweeting, etc.

#livinonthewildside
#yjgklmlivin
#rwotws
#runninwildonthewildside

I'm registered for Warrior Dash KC 2013!!!!
Heartland 39.3 - Rock the Parkway Half-Marathon, Kansas Half-Marathon & Running with the Cows Half-Marathon 3 halfs in 4 weeks.
Brew to Brew - We run from Kansas City, MO to Lawrence, KS!! 44 miles
and after that, Hospital Hill part 3. This will give me the final medal in the 40th anniversary celebration. I plan to keep doing this one every year, but I want that third medal.

Who knows what I'll sign up for after that or before that, but I plan on more. Its the time of year we all focus on this so get in here and get focused and stay focused.
johnson2113
Hoot!

Post by johnson2113 »

I've been watching for this milestone for a while now.
johnson2113
Hoot!

Post by johnson2113 »

1st half marathon is this Saturday, followed by one next Saturday, followed by the Warrior Dash the following weekend.

I've been having some phenomenal workouts lately, feeling awesome, dare I even say looking awesome. :pirate: :lol:

The smaller picture shows the definition a little better I think.
lime rickie
God's Own Drunk
Favorite Buffett Song: Bama Breeze
Number of Concerts: 11
Favorite Boat Drink: lime rickey

Post by lime rickie »

What's everyone doing to be healthy?

I'm committing to walk every day, whether on the treadmill, around the neighborhood, or out on the rail trail.
You only have two options - havin' fun or freakin' out...

LIPH
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 0
Favorite Boat Drink: my next beer, as long as it's not Blandshark

Post by LIPH »

I walk almost every day, the pedometer app on my phone estimated 4.04 miles today. That's the extent of my exercise. I retired from playing softball after the 2007 season, I never belonged to a gym and I have enough knee pain from walking so I'm not going to start running again.
what I really mean . . . I wish you were here
Salukulady
Behind Door #3

Post by Salukulady »

So tickled my thread is still here!!! Yay for healthy living.
sonofabeach
Party at the End of the World
Favorite Buffett Song: La Vie Dansante
Number of Concerts: 15
Favorite Boat Drink: Tecate

Post by sonofabeach »

It's barely alive. I've been running and doing Zumba.
I got the exercising part down. My biggest problem is eating properly. I backslide a lot with my diet..
"It's crazy and it's different, but it's really bein' free"
Dr.Corona
Favorite Buffett Song: Apocalypso..no..Semi-True Story..no.Creola..no..REGGAE ACCIDENT!!
Number of Concerts: 6
Favorite Boat Drink: As if you HAD to ask!!

Post by Dr.Corona »

Healthy Living? What's that? :-? Getting the mid-summer blues as to the shape I'm currently in.
Keep saying, "I'll start tomorrow". :roll:

Kudos to those that toe the healthy living line! [smilie=coolup.gif]
Corona by day, Corona by night, any old time is just alright!Image
johnson2113
Hoot!

Post by johnson2113 »

Not a day goes by without me thinking about this thread.

I feel like if I don't make in progress, I should post here. I've gotten down to the 170's and barely been over the 180's. Run, run, run.

This year hasn't exactly panned out as I expected but I haven't gotten over the 190's.

As far as diet goes. Just look at something and say I don't need it, I don't want it. Right now I'm not exactly doing things the way the should be done, but I'm just on the edge. After next week, I will be my absolute best, the best I can ever be. I have no excuse for next week, but I just plan on being to busy to worry about anything else.
sistergoldenhair
Under My Lone Palm
Favorite Buffett Song: salty piece of land
Number of Concerts: 14
Favorite Boat Drink: Margarita on rocks lots of salt

Post by sistergoldenhair »

I love this thread! It is a great way for us to share our struggles with staying healthy (for me, especially as Father Time is staring me in the face) and what has worked for us!

For the past few months I have been interested in the importance of clean eating -- being aware of food additives and preservatives which the body really can't process, resulting in more fat. That really makes sense to me, so I am becoming more conscious of eating simple foods instead of processed foods. Even low calorie foods can be fattening if they have a lot of non-natural ingredients. So I just try to eat foods that are more basic (fresh fruit, salads, grilled chicken) but I don't starve myself, and I allow myself some yummies on the weekend.

And for exercise, I have a barbell and weight plates and I do body pump (which I learned years ago in a gym) by playing you tube videos of classes, three times a week, and on the off days I try to do an exercise walk.

I have to say that I have not lost much in terms of the scale, but I have seen improvements in my muscle tone. The weight bearing exercise and eating things like spinach is really important to me also because of the bone density issue. I don't want to end up fragile, I want to be strong!

I would love to hear what is working or not working for others!
I'm just tryin to get by, being quiet and shy, in a world full of pushin and shove
Dr.Corona
Favorite Buffett Song: Apocalypso..no..Semi-True Story..no.Creola..no..REGGAE ACCIDENT!!
Number of Concerts: 6
Favorite Boat Drink: As if you HAD to ask!!

Post by Dr.Corona »

johnson2113 wrote:Not a day goes by without me thinking about this thread.

I feel like if I don't make in progress, I should post here. I've gotten down to the 170's and barely been over the 180's. Run, run, run.

This year hasn't exactly panned out as I expected but I haven't gotten over the 190's.

As far as diet goes. Just look at something and say I don't need it, I don't want it. Right now I'm not exactly doing things the way the should be done, but I'm just on the edge. After next week, I will be my absolute best, the best I can ever be. I have no excuse for next week, but I just plan on being to busy to worry about anything else.
What ticks me off is a short-term lack of determination blows a whole day....wash...rinse....repeat. Although I realize it's NOT really about short-term screw ups. It's about lifestyle changes. Tell that to my thick skull ! :-? :roll:
Corona by day, Corona by night, any old time is just alright!Image