Question for any HR person or Hiring Manager

In this forum you can discuss anything from sports, news, or what ever is on your mind.

Moderators: SMLCHNG, Saltx3

Calypso Poet 99
I need two more boat drinks

Question for any HR person or Hiring Manager

Post by Calypso Poet 99 »

Ok BN'ers Help me out here.

I've been trying to land a job at this really good company in LA as an Account Manager in Detroit. It has gone extreamly slow and I need some advice.

I started out sending the Sales Manger an email and he nevered called me so I followed up with an phone call and we set up the first phone interview at that time. That went well and he said he was going to review the other candidates and then talk to his boss and I should follow up with him in a couple days. In 2 business days, I called and left him a message and got no call back. So I sent him an email a few days later and it took him a couple days for him to reply. At that time he set up the 2nd interview with his boss which was last Friday. That went really well and the guy told me "it looks like we have a pretty good match here" and said we may have one more phone call and then they would fly me to LA to meet. He would compare notes with the first guy on Monday this week and get back to me.

Well...I didnt get a call so on Wednesday I sent the first guy an email checking to see if they got together and made any decisions. I have not gotten a reply back yet.

My question is.......When should I follow up with a phone call and who should I call, the sales mangaer or his boss who I spoke with last?

Sorry for the long essay here but I'm dying to find out whats going on.
Each day is better than the next.

-Woogy

ph4ever
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: CILCIA or OPH
Number of Concerts: 299
Favorite Boat Drink: Rhum with my Chum or beer

Post by ph4ever »

I'd follow up with both today or early in the morning - send an email to both and include a thank you for their time as well. Let them both know how interested in the job you are.

Hopefully they are just busy with other things and not trying to find "a better fit"

Good Luck!!! Let us know what happens!!
Well...(said in my best Bubba voice) I've been on sabbatical.

I lost my cat :cry: Nevermind I found her!!! [smilie=battingeyes.gif]

Joetown Parrothead
At the Bama Breeze
Favorite Buffett Song: Wino and I know
Number of Concerts: 30
Favorite Boat Drink: Miller Lite & Cabo

Re: Question for any HR person or Hiring Manager

Post by Joetown Parrothead »

Calypso Poet 99 wrote:Ok BN'ers Help me out here.

I've been trying to land a job at this really good company in LA as an Account Manager in Detroit. It has gone extreamly slow and I need some advice.

I started out sending the Sales Manger an email and he nevered called me so I followed up with an phone call and we set up the first phone interview at that time. That went well and he said he was going to review the other candidates and then talk to his boss and I should follow up with him in a couple days. In 2 business days, I called and left him a message and got no call back. So I sent him an email a few days later and it took him a couple days for him to reply. At that time he set up the 2nd interview with his boss which was last Friday. That went really well and the guy told me "it looks like we have a pretty good match here" and said we may have one more phone call and then they would fly me to LA to meet. He would compare notes with the first guy on Monday this week and get back to me.

Well...I didnt get a call so on Wednesday I sent the first guy an email checking to see if they got together and made any decisions. I have not gotten a reply back yet.

My question is.......When should I follow up with a phone call and who should I call, the sales mangaer or his boss who I spoke with last?

As a Sales Mgr myself, I think you should contact him. That is the person it sounds like you would be reporting too. If you kept calling his boss he might take it the wrong way!

It took me 2 months to hire my last sales rep. Do you have prior exp in the field you applied for? If not, maybe they are still looking for someone with prior exp in whatever field it is. I know that is what took me so long to find the right fit for our last sales job opening.

I would give it a few more days a follow up with him! He might be real busy if they cover a large area.

Just My 2 cents worth.

Skibo
Hoot!

Post by Skibo »

Calypso Poet 99 wrote:
Is there an HR department coordinating things? After the thankyous and butt kissing, HR should be able to answer any of your timing questions if they exist. I once thought I wanted to work for a great company where the director I was interviewing with took over 6 weeks to make a decision. I was hired once I strong armed him and forced a decision. Turns out he couldn't make a decision. I suffered dearly because of that. That was in manufacturing of course your field may be completely different.
Rub yours on me and I'll rub mine on you

Calypso Poet 99

Joetown Parrothead wrote:
Calypso Poet 99 wrote:Ok BN'ers Help me out here.

As a Sales Mgr myself, I think you should contact him. That is the person it sounds like you would be reporting too. If you kept calling his boss he might take it the wrong way!

It took me 2 months to hire my last sales rep. Do you have prior exp in the field you applied for? If not, maybe they are still looking for someone with prior exp in whatever field it is. I know that is what took me so long to find the right fit for our last sales job opening.

I would give it a few more days a follow up with him! He might be real busy if they cover a large area.

Just My 2 cents worth.
I do feel like I would be going over his head if I call his boss so I think I will stick with contacting him.

The funny thing is that I have every qualification from the job posting. It really seems to be a perfect match. I just dont want to screw it up.

-Woogy

Mr Play
On a Salty Piece of Land

Post by Mr Play »

Email and/or call the hiring sales manager once a week until you get an answer.
Don't go over his head unless you want to tick him off.
It was a pleasure and a hell of an evening
Truly was our night to win
But the authorities insist on my leaving
Take care my American friend

Blind Octopus
Southeast of disorder

Post by Blind Octopus »

I'm also in sales, and once a Manager told me that the main reason he hired me was because I left him a message either every day or every other day expressing my interest in the position. I thought at the time it was too much and my feeling was that I didn't have anything to lose by calling that often.

Calypso Poet 99

Update:
I just had my 3rd phone interview, the 2nd with the EVP. I already sent him a "thank you" email after the firs interview 2 weeks ago.

Should I send him another "thank you" this time as well?

-Woogy

MA_Buffett_Fan23
Chewin' on a Honeysuckle Vine
Number of Concerts: 27

Post by MA_Buffett_Fan23 »

Calypso Poet 99 wrote:Update:
I just had my 3rd phone interview, the 2nd with the EVP. I already sent him a "thank you" email after the firs interview 2 weeks ago.

Should I send him another "thank you" this time as well?
Yes, IMO a simple thank you and showing additional interest goes a long way.. I've always followed up an interview regardless if it were the first, second or third with a thank you note..