The 10 Oldest Bars in the United States

In this forum you can discuss anything from sports, news, or what ever is on your mind.

Moderators: SMLCHNG, Saltx3

PartofthePhlock
At the Bama Breeze
Favorite Buffett Song: Depends on the day and time.
Number of Concerts: 67

Post by PartofthePhlock »

I was in The Little Shammock and The Saloon (both in SF) some years back. Their history is amazing.

TropicalTroubador
Hoot!
Number of Concerts: 10
Favorite Boat Drink: The one in front of me.

Post by TropicalTroubador »

Haven't been to those...but Heinold's in Oakland is *almost* that old:

http://www.heinoldsfirstandlastchance.com/

...and I *have* been there. :)

Some of the old carriage houses in use during the Gold Rush in the California Sierra Nevada have been turned into private residences; I've been in a couple of those. I wouldn't be surprised to find one or two old taverns still operating up thataway that are of similar vintage, but nothing specific comes to mind.
Living my life on Island Standard Time...
Island Standard Time - the new Trop Rock album from Loren Davidson - now available!

http://www.lorendavidson.com

docandjeanie
Party at the End of the World
Favorite Buffett Song: Migration, Love in the library, Happily Ever after
Number of Concerts: 40
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum Jumbie

Post by docandjeanie »

Both Mc's for this irish gal :P
ImageImageImage

PartofthePhlock
At the Bama Breeze

TropicalTroubador wrote:Haven't been to those...but Heinold's in Oakland is *almost* that old:

http://www.heinoldsfirstandlastchance.com/

...and I *have* been there. :)

Some of the old carriage houses in use during the Gold Rush in the California Sierra Nevada have been turned into private residences; I've been in a couple of those. I wouldn't be surprised to find one or two old taverns still operating up thataway that are of similar vintage, but nothing specific comes to mind.
Aren't they amazing, especially when the rebuild or renovate with old style crafts. It is amazing these structures still stand, so much has happended; good, bad and ugly.

ContinentalDrifterIII
Half-baked cookies in the oven
Number of Concerts: 28
Favorite Boat Drink: Margarita-Rocks-Salt

Post by ContinentalDrifterIII »

Wow, I have been to 6 of them! Lafittes, Bell in Hand, McSorley's, Ear Inn, White Horse and PJ Clarkes. McSorley's is probably my favorite of them all. I am heading to Philly today for tomorrow's show so maybe I will hit McGillins and make it 7 of 10 :D
YOU CAN'T DRINK ALL DAY IF YOU DON'T START IN THE MORNING

JoNeS BeAcH 8/21/14

ContinentalDrifterIII
Number of Concerts: 28
Favorite Boat Drink: Margarita-Rocks-Salt

Post by ContinentalDrifterIII »

Just an update, I hit McGillins over the weekend in Philly and it was great. Had a great time there Friday night and I'd recommend checking it out and having the McGillins Ale if you're in the area. So its 7 of 10 for me :D
YOU CAN'T DRINK ALL DAY IF YOU DON'T START IN THE MORNING

JoNeS BeAcH 8/21/14

PartofthePhlock
At the Bama Breeze

ContinentalDrifterIII wrote:Just an update, I hit McGillins over the weekend in Philly and it was great. Had a great time there Friday night and I'd recommend checking it out and having the McGillins Ale if you're in the area. So its 7 of 10 for me :D
CDIII you are truely a lucky continential drifter. :D

LIPH
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 0
Favorite Boat Drink: my next beer, as long as it's not Blandshark

Post by LIPH »

Lafittes is the only one I've been in
what I really mean . . . I wish you were here

citcat
On a Salty Piece of Land
Favorite Buffett Song: Pirate Looks at 40
Number of Concerts: 10
Favorite Boat Drink: margarita

Post by citcat »

LIPH wrote:Lafittes is the only one I've been in
Me too. That place is DEFINITELY haunted. No doubt. And good Voodoo Daquiri's too. I like drinkin' with ghosts, it's fun.
Do not resent growing old. Many are denied the privilege.

I'm an Altered Boy

Post by I'm an Altered Boy »

weren't you there for the grand opening?

rednekkPH
Party at the End of the World

Post by rednekkPH »

I'm an Altered Boy wrote:
weren't you there for the grand opening?
*oof* :o

:lol:

lilsalty
License to Chill
Number of Concerts: 23
Favorite Boat Drink: Mic's Nilla Killa...SDB, BVI

Post by lilsalty »

ContinentalDrifterIII wrote:Just an update, I hit McGillins over the weekend in Philly and it was great. Had a great time there Friday night and I'd recommend checking it out and having the McGillins Ale if you're in the area. So its 7 of 10 for me :D
If I wasn't stuck in class all weekend, I would have been in Philly with ya and could've made it 7 of 10 as well. d*m You! :D
"Clive!! The cooler!!" -- CDIII aboard the Shamwari, BVI.

Joetown Parrothead
At the Bama Breeze
Favorite Buffett Song: Wino and I know
Number of Concerts: 30
Favorite Boat Drink: Miller Lite & Cabo

Post by Joetown Parrothead »

First Ward House, home of Pinzino’s Smokehouse

2101 Saint Joseph Ave.

749-4035

Built in 1878, the First Ward House claims to be the oldest saloon west of the Mississippi, a former brothel, and a hangout for the infamous Bonnie and Clyde. It's door's has only been closed for a few short times since it opened!

And now you can add home of Pinzino’s Smokehouse, since Chad Pinzino took over ownership a few months ago. Charlie Pinzino, of the long-standing, but now gone, Pinzino’s Meat Market in St. Joseph, is his grandfather.

“I started working for him in the fourth grade making hamburger patties,” Chad says.

Chad worked himself up the meat locker ladder, he says, learning the secrets to smoking meat and eventually getting into the catering business. Last October, he stared working for the previous owner of the First Ward House and then apparently made him an offer he couldn’t refuse.

So the menu is similar to what it was before, but Chad added some new things. You can still get their specialty three-meat combo sandwich called “The Outlaw,” as well as their popular pulled pork sandwich. But he’s added baby back ribs, a couple of smoked turkey selections and Pinzino’s polish sausage. Tenderloin fans should note that they’re still here, but now you can also get them grilled. Or try their stuffed burgers with blue cheese and bacon or jalapeno and pepper jack.

Chad has “redecorated” with lots of conversation pieces hanging on the walls, or, in the case of a John Wayne cutout, standing in the corner. But don’t worry, it’s still a laid-back bar style, with old hardwood floors, a pool table and a few TV screens.

They have officially opened the deck out back, where you relax and smell the barbecue while sipping one of the five beers they have on tap. And since First Ward is a saloon after all, they also offer a wide variety of mixed drinks and wine.

In the evenings, the entertainment style is diverse, so you’ll just have to check ahead for what you like. Chad says every Wednesday night at 9 p.m. acoustic duo Mike Steggall and Larry Thompson play “outlaw country” music, where crowds can call out what songs they want. Friday night is karaoke. And Saturday night they bring in bands playing everything from country to rock to hip-hop.

“It’s really a mixed crowd,” Chad says. “Anything from younger to older.”

At dinner time you’re likely to see a lot of families, and at lunch time, business suits. And all the time you might see someone in uniform, since if you are suited up (military, police, fire department, ambulance) you’ll get a 10 percent discount.

The First Ward House opens at 11 a.m. Monday through Friday and at noon on Saturday. The kitchen closes at 9 p.m. during the week and at 8 p.m. on Saturday. Carry-out also is available.

Lifestyles reporter Sylvia Anderson can be reached at sylviaanderson@npgco.com.

MA_Buffett_Fan23
Chewin' on a Honeysuckle Vine
Number of Concerts: 27

Post by MA_Buffett_Fan23 »

I've been to the Bell in Hand :)

ragtopW
Last Man Standing

Post by ragtopW »

:( :( you were on the way home from Raleigh
I was at Mcsorleys the 8th

AdamBomb8
Hoot!
Favorite Buffett Song: Coastal Confessions
Number of Concerts: 13
Favorite Boat Drink: BEER! It's good food

Post by AdamBomb8 »

Haven't been to any of them :(

karat
Lester Polyester
Number of Concerts: 26
Favorite Boat Drink: Margarita with Passion Berry
Location: "I’m just hangin’ on while this old world keeps spinning." (It's a freakin' tilt-a-whirl!)

Post by karat »

I have been to Bell in Hand...been to the city's oldest eatery...Union Oyster House...
~ Karat
(I am a Travel Agent)