House next door burned to the ground...

In this forum you can discuss anything from sports, news, or what ever is on your mind.

Moderators: SMLCHNG, Saltx3

citcat
On a Salty Piece of Land
Favorite Buffett Song: Pirate Looks at 40
Number of Concerts: 10
Favorite Boat Drink: margarita

House next door burned to the ground...

Post by citcat »

Wednesday night we were in St. Louis at a ballgame, I got a phone call that the house next to ours was on fire, flames going 30 feet in the air and the fire dept. took 50 minutes to get there. Imagine my panic and helplessness, sitting there in Busch Stadium. Luckily, my son had arrived with his family to stay the night, and he and friends and neighbors used garden hoses to keep our house from catching on fire. The whole neighborhood got together and saved our house, and the house on the other side of the burnt house. It is a good thing I wasn't there. I would've had a heart attack or stroke and I'm not kidding. WHEW. Our poor neighbor lost everything, even his wallet. But he got his daughter and dogs out.
We were so lucky, I can't even begin to thank those who saved our house. Makes you realize what's important. Thank you God and Ryan and David and the other David and Corky and neighbors.
Do not resent growing old. Many are denied the privilege.

ragtopW
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by ragtopW »

:( Phin power for the Neighbors.. is there a Fund started??

karat
Lester Polyester
Number of Concerts: 26
Favorite Boat Drink: Margarita with Passion Berry
Location: "I’m just hangin’ on while this old world keeps spinning." (It's a freakin' tilt-a-whirl!)

Post by karat »

How horrible!!! I'm so sorry for your neighbors. The man that owns the barn where I have my horse, lost one of his buildings (another part of town) this week to fire as well...There was no insurance. Poor guard dog perished :cry:

I hope your neighbors make it through fine! Phin Power to them! from PA
~ Karat
(I am a Travel Agent)

citcat
On a Salty Piece of Land

Post by citcat »

Yeah, everybody on three streets have given money. It's a pretty good sum, and they need it. Thank goodness they had their home insurance with State Farm. The adjuster was out the very next day and the State Farm agent (who is also our agent) was extremely ticked off and they may sue the city for taking so long.

magnus & Mr Moon
Behind Door #3

Post by magnus & Mr Moon »

Phin power for your neighbors - fire is a scary thing. I am so glad that no lives were lost but can't fathom losing everything. I guess this does really make you put things into perspective.

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((NEIGHBORS)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
And raccoons brought wine and the mice they brought cheese...

blackjack
At the Bama Breeze
Favorite Buffett Song: One Particular Harbor or Little Miss Magic
Number of Concerts: 17
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum Runner

Post by blackjack »

Why did the Fire Department take 50 Minutes?!?!!

ragtopW
Last Man Standing

Post by ragtopW »

blackjack wrote:Why did the Fire Department take 50 Minutes?!?!!
that is what State Farm wants to know..

ragtopW
Last Man Standing

Post by ragtopW »

Linda.. Please let us know if there is a fund started..
(like at a bank) :)

citcat
On a Salty Piece of Land

Post by citcat »

ragtopW wrote:Linda.. Please let us know if there is a fund started..
Ok.
And we are outside the city limits. We have to pay a yearly $75 'subscription' to get fire protection. He didn't pay his, but his house insurance would've paid the cost. There is a meeting with the City Manager on Monday morning and many people will be there, including us. The fire dept. didn't come out ON PURPOSE because he didn't have the 'subscription'. But our house very easily could've burnt. That ain't fire protection in my book. They waited until our house was smoking and steaming before they came out. Heads will roll, I'm telling you. :evil:

Bfan53
License to Chill

Post by Bfan53 »

citcat wrote:
ragtopW wrote:Linda.. Please let us know if there is a fund started..
Ok.
And we are outside the city limits. We have to pay a yearly $75 'subscription' to get fire protection. He didn't pay his, but his house insurance would've paid the cost. There is a meeting with the City Manager on Monday morning and many people will be there, including us. The fire dept. didn't come out ON PURPOSE because he didn't have the 'subscription'. But our house very easily could've burnt. That ain't fire protection in my book. They waited until our house was smoking and steaming before they came out. Heads will roll, I'm telling you. :evil:
That's almost criminal to think that any fire service would purposely not do everything possible to save lives and property...... :o

Wino you know
God's Own Drunk
Favorite Buffett Song: Far Side of the World & Somewhere Over China
Number of Concerts: 105
Favorite Boat Drink: Beaujalais Villages French Burgundy

Post by Wino you know »

citcat wrote:But he got his daughter and dogs out.
Thank God Allmighty.
Yes, Linda, as Wayne stated, please let us know about any funds started for the family and where we can send them too.
Thank God YOU'RE okay too.

Conolulu
God's Own Drunk
Favorite Buffett Song: Back to the beginning "Come Monday"
Number of Concerts: 60
Favorite Boat Drink: Anything z-man makes..

Post by Conolulu »

Oh, Linda... :( Phin Power to your neighbors , and like Wayne said , let us know what they need the most.....

I am so appalled, I'm almost speechless at the Fire Dept..... :evil:

When did it change to "We only put out fires if you pay extra???" :roll:

When I lived on Folly Beach we had a "subscription" but they came all the time regardless....I just can't believe they did this ...Prayers of Thanks that everyone is safe.....

Lightning Bolt
Party at the End of the World
Favorite Buffett Song: Tryin To Reason...
Number of Concerts: 17
Location: Mt. Helix looking east to the future, west to this sunset

Post by Lightning Bolt »

citcat wrote:
And we are outside the city limits. We have to pay a yearly $75 'subscription' to get fire protection. He didn't pay his, but his house insurance would've paid the cost. ...
In California (once again burning) our property taxes pay for our fire protection.
I can't believe that isn't a universal protection in your state.

... though $75 would not be the most expensive thing to pay, either.
Letting that lapse really proves to be dangerous (foolish, frankly), and it's fortunate you and others weren't victimized.
$#@&...only Vegas again?? Padres ...gotta start believin'!Bring on '14 Spring Training!

GumboPirate
License to Chill

Post by GumboPirate »

Phin power for your neighbor--glad he and family were not injured though.
ImageImage

dnw
Last Man Standing

Post by dnw »

So glad to hear that your house is ok. Sorry to hear about the neighbor's house.

((((((((((Linda & neighbor))))))))))

Debbie

PackPhanGirl
Hoot!
Favorite Buffett Song: Survive
Number of Concerts: 13
Favorite Boat Drink: anything with RUM!

Post by PackPhanGirl »

WOW :o I have never heard of such! That, IMO, is almost criminal in itself! The fire dept. is there to protect and save lives, regardless...sort the rest out later!

I am glad they made it out safe! Much phin power to them and I am glad your house is safe as well!
Survive... stay alive
Till I see you again

karat
Lester Polyester
Number of Concerts: 26
Favorite Boat Drink: Margarita with Passion Berry
Location: "I’m just hangin’ on while this old world keeps spinning." (It's a freakin' tilt-a-whirl!)

Post by karat »

Each place you live in the US is different about the Fire Protection. I live just outside the city limits and we have Volunteer Fire Departments. When my uncle's house caught on fire of about 15 years ago, they were there in like 10-15 mins. The fire was contained to the one bathroom and attic. They were on vacation and the fridge blitzed on them. When we are gone, we all have a family member come once a day to walk through the house.

I hope you all get things worked out about the fire department. that just is not right.
~ Karat
(I am a Travel Agent)

Skibo
Hoot!

Post by Skibo »

50 minutes to arrive because of no 'subscription'? This is something that deserves to be dragged through the national media. Whoever dragged their feet on the response deserves a little public humiliation.
Rub yours on me and I'll rub mine on you

ScarletB
On a Salty Piece of Land
Favorite Buffett Song: OPH BEST...SONG...EVER!!
Number of Concerts: 12
Favorite Boat Drink: Chill the rose

Post by ScarletB »

Holy CR*P!!! :o

Glad your house is OK.

Since I live in the boonies it's all volunteer and they do a heck of a job most of the time. They take donations but there's no "requirment" We do have a $25 subscription for rescue squad - which is also volunteer. Totally worth it. While I think your neighbor was foolish not to pay, to penalize him and endanger the rest of the neighborhood was unconscionable!
GW - 7/19
Great Northern MOTM - 7/20-21
Hershey Labor Day Weekend Show - 8/29
MOTM - Oct 28

conched
Last Man Standing

Post by conched »

^^^^POWER for you and your family (((Linda))) and your neighbors.

Thank God for those who helped you. How wonderful for them to have saved your home. Just think... :::sigh:::