How old were you when...(ladies)

In this forum you can discuss anything from sports, news, or what ever is on your mind.

Moderators: SMLCHNG, Saltx3

jimolliemom
I Love the Now!
Number of Concerts: 0

How old were you when...(ladies)

Post by jimolliemom »

Mollie would be SO mad if she knew I was posting this but I won't tell her. I'm curious...

How old were you when you got your first period?

I was one month exactly after my 11th birthday. I lived in a house of girls so it was a good thing. I felt like a grown up...or at least NOT a little girl anymore. But Mollie was 9 in May and July 28th, she got it. She knew what was happening. We had already had that talk. I was at work, Dad was at work. She was home with Nana (who was asleep) and her almost 18 y/o brother. She called me. (With a VERY shaky sounding voice) "Mommy, there's something WRONG. It's in my panties. Is this right?" I told her I'm sure it was "right" and to go ask Nana to "help" decide. (Gross I know) But Mom has been thru this with me, my sister and MANY friends who were not close to their mom. And if for some reason it wasn't that, she needed a doctor. Mom called me back and told me "Oh yeah, that's it. And that explains her attitude"..her tummy ache the night before should have clued me in. I had a hysterectomy at 27, when she was 5 month old. I don't do that...and haven't for most of her life. Now she knows that crampy feeling and prepares. But...she's only 9 years old!!! She's my "World's most wanted baby!" And now she's growing up!!!

So...how old were you???
"Mommy, when is Jimmy Buffett coming to OUR house? We go see him ALL THE TIME??" (Actual quote from my 5 y/o keet)

PIA
Here We Are
Favorite Buffett Song: Tampico Trauma
Number of Concerts: 12
Favorite Boat Drink: Capt n Coke
Location: Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams, telling myself it's not as hard as it seems.

Post by PIA »

December 31, 1999...i dont think i could ever forget it...we opened our pool for the millennium party and heated it up to 100 degrees and had the biggest hottub party ever...it was ridiculous for everyone...i cried forever when i got it...i didnt think i could go in the pool...but mom taught me all i needed to know...

i was in 7th grade...im not sure how old that makes me...14...maybe....my younger sister actually started hers before i started mine...

Dezdmona
On a Salty Piece of Land
Favorite Buffett Song: He Went To Paris
Number of Concerts: 33
Favorite Boat Drink: PharmAde

Post by Dezdmona »

10, but couldn't tell you the date...that was eon's ago. :lol:
Some people never find it, some only pretend
But me, I just want to live happily ever after every now and then.
Find me on: Facebook, Twitter, Blog

citcat
On a Salty Piece of Land
Favorite Buffett Song: Pirate Looks at 40
Number of Concerts: 10
Favorite Boat Drink: margarita

Post by citcat »

:o

well I was 15. I was a naive kid, I'm sure if it'd happened earlier it would've messed my mind up. BOY was I naive. I cringe when I think of it.
Do not resent growing old. Many are denied the privilege.

buffettbride
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 5
Favorite Boat Drink: Cuba Libre

Post by buffettbride »

I was 12 or 13 (sometime in 7th grade), which I guess seems late by today's standards, but I was also very athletic.

My baby girl (11 years old) hasn't yet, but she'll probably be at least 12 when it happens. Celiac Disease somewhat delays the onset of puberty "symptoms."

Can't say I'm too upset about it. :lol: She's prepared, though, for when it happens.

ScarletB
On a Salty Piece of Land
Favorite Buffett Song: OPH BEST...SONG...EVER!!
Number of Concerts: 12
Favorite Boat Drink: Chill the rose

Post by ScarletB »

God I was OLD.. seriously, I was 17 but my grandmother had gotten hers relatively late as well. I was the last of my friends to get it and quite frankly I didn't much care if it never came. I had such bad cramps all through HS that even Tylenol with codeine didn't allow me to go to school.
It wasn't until the pill that I got any relief. I'm so sorry Molly has to deal with it SO early. :(
GW - 7/19
Great Northern MOTM - 7/20-21
Hershey Labor Day Weekend Show - 8/29
MOTM - Oct 28

flipflopgirl
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 53
Favorite Boat Drink: Z-Man's MANGO THINGIES!!!!!
Location: I have been promoted from John Frinzi's stalker to ROADIE!!!! :)

Post by flipflopgirl »

12 and was NOT happy about it...we had just watched THE FILM in school the week before!!! :roll: :-? :lol:

(((((((((((((((Mollie and Jill))))))))))))))))) :(
Image "While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats." Mark Twain

Dally
Little Angel
Favorite Buffett Song: Tin Cup Chalice
Number of Concerts: 10
Favorite Boat Drink: Vodka and Cranberry

Post by Dally »

it just happened to be the day before my parents and siblings took an all day trip to Universal Studios in Florida....talk about a miserable day!

To make it a little more embarrassing.....my daddy announced it to everyone that his "little girl became a woman" :oops: It's funny now....it sure as hell wasn't back then! :lol:
Why is the rum gone?

"All you need is love..." - The Beatles

pbans
On a Salty Piece of Land
Favorite Buffett Song: OPH
Number of Concerts: 9

Post by pbans »

I was eleven.....sixth grade.

My daughter was 10.....a night before a beach vacation in SoCal....she was NOT happy.
Paige in Utah
"Don't try to shake it, just nod your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on"

PartofthePhlock
At the Bama Breeze
Favorite Buffett Song: Depends on the day and time.
Number of Concerts: 67

Post by PartofthePhlock »

pbans wrote:I was eleven.....sixth grade.

My daughter was 10.....a night before a beach vacation in SoCal....she was NOT happy.

Love the Harley lantren avatar pbans.

jimolliemom
I Love the Now!

Post by jimolliemom »

Talk about feeling like your loosing a grip...Mollie gets hers and Jim turns 18 a few weeks later. He's an adult and she is on the way...
Where did my babies go????

I am thankful for who they are but man, I thought I had children...not young adults.
Well, she is still 9! I'll hold onto that for as long as I can.
"Mommy, when is Jimmy Buffett coming to OUR house? We go see him ALL THE TIME??" (Actual quote from my 5 y/o keet)

pbans
On a Salty Piece of Land

Post by pbans »

PartofthePhlock wrote:
pbans wrote:I was eleven.....sixth grade.

Love the Harley lantren avatar pbans.
THANKS....I tried to make a really harley jack o lantern last night and failed miserably...........
Paige in Utah

Mottola-Buffett
Havana Daydreamin'
Favorite Buffett Song: Trying To Reason With Hurricane Season
Number of Concerts: 3

Post by Mottola-Buffett »

I was 13.... wasn't too happy about it. Still not too happy about it! :-?

Desdamona
Under My Lone Palm

Post by Desdamona »

I was probably eleven... I remember still being in elementary school and being
really embarrassed about people asking me why I'd been absent from school.
I sure wasn't going to tell them! :oops:

And every month I had cramps that sent me to bed for at least a day.
Eventually a doctor gave me a prescription... for dexadrine! Unreal, huh?
But IT WORKED! It also made me bounce off the walls, but I WAS OUT OF PAIN!
If thrashing around and sweating for hours until you wear yourself out and fall
asleep was womanhood, you could forget it! (At least if it was alone and involuntary! :wink: )

Finally, when I was in high school my mom's GYN told her it was inhuman to
make me suffer and to put me on the pill. That was a great help. And the first
few years I was on it had nothing to do with needing birth control at all.
Just "cycle control".

Now I've been "cycle free" for years and certainly DON'T MISS IT!
[smilie=happydance.gif]
Image Image

pbans
On a Salty Piece of Land

Post by pbans »

Desdamona wrote:I was probably eleven... I remember still being in elementary school and being
really embarrassed about people asking me why I'd been absent from school.
I sure wasn't going to tell them! :oops:

And every month I had cramps that sent me to bed for at least a day.
Eventually a doctor gave me a prescription... for dexadrine! Unreal, huh?
But IT WORKED! It also made me bounce off the walls, but I WAS OUT OF PAIN!
If thrashing around and sweating for hours until you wear yourself out and fall
asleep was womanhood, you could forget it! (At least if it was alone and involuntary! :wink: )

Finally, when I was in high school my mom's GYN told her it was inhuman to
make me suffer and to put me on the pill. That was a great help. And the first
few years I was on it had nothing to do with needing birth control at all.
Just "cycle control".

Now I've been "cycle free" for years and certainly DON'T MISS IT!
[smilie=happydance.gif]
My daughter suffered terribly.....she generally missed a day of school a month....the gyn put her on a low dose BC pill and what a HUGE difference it makes....for all of us :wink:
At first she was embarrassed about it because she (thank god) doesn't "need" the pill.....but after a couple of month of feeling better, she's over that!
Paige in Utah

alaura1974
I Love the Now!
Favorite Buffett Song: Depends on the day!
Number of Concerts: 15
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum, Pama in diet squirt

Post by alaura1974 »

For me it was the summer before 6th grade, so I think I was 11....... and at Girl Scout Camp........... I wasnt really sure what was happening at first...... but I figured it out pretty quickly!!!

fabduo
Behind Door #3

Post by fabduo »

I think it was 11 or 12 (a very long time ago) and soon after I couldn't wait for menapause so it would go away!!!!! Thank god that has happened also with no major effects!!
ImageImageImageImage

BHAkeet00
I have found me a home
Number of Concerts: 24

Post by BHAkeet00 »

This is not normally something I would talk about, but i guess it is easier writing/typing than it is to say it. I got mine in 8th grade the day that we started swimming class. I was with my best friend and we were putting on our swim suits and she pulled me aside and I started crying right there. She then got the teacher, who was a female, and she allowed me to not swim that day. When I got home, I wrote a note to my mom, who was depressed about something or other and she came into my room in the AM with products in her hand and a note she had written then went back to bed. I never got the talk until 3 years later, from a different person. I was the last of my friends to receive it, however I was also very active in sports.

Now, I wish I could just take everything out! When I asked my DR. he said not for a while .... bummer... :(

^^^^^Molly and her mom^^^^^

18 shows and counting......

Dezdmona
On a Salty Piece of Land
Favorite Buffett Song: He Went To Paris
Number of Concerts: 33
Favorite Boat Drink: PharmAde

Post by Dezdmona »

jimolliemom wrote:Talk about feeling like your loosing a grip...Mollie gets hers and Jim turns 18 a few weeks later. He's an adult and she is on the way...
Where did my babies go????
I can relate. I have a 9 y/o son, a 21 y/o daughter...and a 1 y/o Granddaughter! :o :D
Some people never find it, some only pretend
But me, I just want to live happily ever after every now and then.
Find me on: Facebook, Twitter, Blog

jimolliemom
I Love the Now!

Post by jimolliemom »

I can relate to all the troubles that go along with that "time of the month"...

At 16 I had endometriosis...on everything. Then at 18, (married and wanting him) I was lucky enough to have Jim without major effort. Then I spent the next 8 year trying for baby number 2. My OB (although I love him dearly) told me I needed a hysterectomy. I explained to him (get this!) I can not have another baby without a uterus. (Like he didn't know that). Every month we tried...then cried. I went thru enough shots and pain and tears for more than one lifetime. I was pregnant from artificial insemenation in 1997. I made it to 15 weeks and a few days with him. Then, his heart stopped growing. Not only did I have to endure it all...so did James...and Jim. That's where I had the most trouble. Explain to this little boy why his baby brother was not going to be born. So, a year and 4 days later I found out Mollie was on the way. I was scared!! A LOT. When we told Jim...all he said was "I hope God doesn't take this baby like he did our other one"...okay, more tears. Then Mollie was born (after a lot of trouble, I'll not torment you or me with explaining) I can not wrap my brain around the idea of her growing up. And she's had 3 cycles and the cramps that go with them. So far, tylenol and rest have helped a lot. If and when they get worse...I WILL take her in for whatever she needs to NOT have to deal with the pain that I had. The monthly pain was terrible and I will NOT let her endure that.