President Barack Obama

In this forum you can discuss anything from sports, news, or what ever is on your mind.

Moderators: SMLCHNG, Saltx3

buffettbride
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 5
Favorite Boat Drink: Cuba Libre

Post by buffettbride »

green1 wrote:
buffettbride wrote:
jackiesic wrote::(
I'm not sure why your signature picture is using an upside down flag. It implies the country is in distress, which we are not. You are distressed, displeased, or otherwise, but our country is not in distress (and certainly not for the reasons which you are likely implying).

http://www.usa-flag-site.org/etiquette.shtml
Actually BB it does not mean the country is in distress. It is a distress signal. A boat without communications and in dire need of help could fly the flag upside down correctly without it implying the country is in distress. I disagree with Jackie's use of the image, but if she feels personally in distress, technically she is correct in that usage. As gut turning as it is to me, given that her image is used to express distress over the legally elected President-elect of this country. As though the simple execution of the rights of the citizenry were cause for such distress.
I disagree with it also, but I can see your interpretation makes sense.

pbans
On a Salty Piece of Land
Favorite Buffett Song: OPH
Number of Concerts: 9

Post by pbans »

For your windows...or whatever...

http://s3.moveon.org/obama/pdfs/yeswedid.pdf
Paige in Utah
"Don't try to shake it, just nod your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on"

Dezdmona
On a Salty Piece of Land
Favorite Buffett Song: He Went To Paris
Number of Concerts: 33
Favorite Boat Drink: PharmAde

Post by Dezdmona »

buffettbride wrote:
green1 wrote:
buffettbride wrote:
jackiesic wrote::(
I'm not sure why your signature picture is using an upside down flag. It implies the country is in distress, which we are not. You are distressed, displeased, or otherwise, but our country is not in distress (and certainly not for the reasons which you are likely implying).

http://www.usa-flag-site.org/etiquette.shtml
Actually BB it does not mean the country is in distress. It is a distress signal. A boat without communications and in dire need of help could fly the flag upside down correctly without it implying the country is in distress. I disagree with Jackie's use of the image, but if she feels personally in distress, technically she is correct in that usage. As gut turning as it is to me, given that her image is used to express distress over the legally elected President-elect of this country. As though the simple execution of the rights of the citizenry were cause for such distress.
I disagree with it also, but I can see your interpretation makes sense.
According to the flag code section 36, U.S.C. Chapter 10;
The flag should never be displayed with the union down, except as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property.
http://www.jeffhead.com/liberty/flagdistress.htm
Some people never find it, some only pretend
But me, I just want to live happily ever after every now and then.
Find me on: Facebook, Twitter, Blog

Frank4
Behind Door #3
Favorite Buffett Song: Death of an Unpopular Poet
Number of Concerts: 13
Favorite Boat Drink: Cajun Martini

Post by Frank4 »

I am sitting here and just shaking my head in utter disbelief.....
I thank the Lord for the people I have found
-Elton John

carolinagirl
At the Bama Breeze
Favorite Buffett Song: Coast of Carolina
Number of Concerts: 6
Favorite Boat Drink: mohito

Post by carolinagirl »

pbans wrote:
carolinagirl wrote:
pbans wrote:"There has never been anything false about hope"

"We are not as divided as our politics would suggest:

Yes, We Can

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjXyqcx-mYY
What an incredible video.

"That we are not as divided as our politics suggest."
I love it, too....
Sorry, I didn't see you quoted the same line that struck me! GPHMTA... once again.

citcat
On a Salty Piece of Land
Favorite Buffett Song: Pirate Looks at 40
Number of Concerts: 10
Favorite Boat Drink: margarita

Post by citcat »

I can't believe I read every post in this thread. And laughed at some of the politically incorrect ones. :oops: I'm so ashamed. :oops: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Congratulations to our new president. :D And thank goodness there are no more political advertisements.*whew*
Do not resent growing old. Many are denied the privilege.

Salukulady
Behind Door #3
Number of Concerts: 7

Post by Salukulady »

citcat wrote:I can't believe I read every post in this thread. And laughed at some of the politically incorrect ones. :oops: I'm so ashamed. :oops: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Congratulations to our new president. :D And thank goodness there are no more political advertisements.*whew*
I think we can all agree on that one.......

UAHparrothead
Party at the End of the World
Number of Concerts: 3
Location: Standing at the fine line between Saturday night and Sunday morning.

Post by UAHparrothead »

ph4ever wrote:
C-Dawg wrote:
UAHparrothead wrote:Damn, I haven't seen so many angry rednecks since they cancelled The Jeff Foxworty Show. (Not on here but in my life in general.)
how is this any less condecending than what mikemck wrote? I can really see us becoming unified with posts like this :roll:
it's not followed by a kiss my a$$ statement? :-? :lol:
It's called a joke, you know, funny ha ha, I wasn't referring to anyone on here, but in my life it just so happens to be true

C-Dawg
On a Salty Piece of Land
Favorite Buffett Song: The list is long...
Favorite Boat Drink: my next one....this one's empty

Post by C-Dawg »

UAHparrothead wrote:
ph4ever wrote:
C-Dawg wrote:
UAHparrothead wrote:Damn, I haven't seen so many angry rednecks since they cancelled The Jeff Foxworty Show. (Not on here but in my life in general.)
how is this any less condecending than what mikemck wrote? I can really see us becoming unified with posts like this :roll:
It's called a joke, you know, funny ha ha, I wasn't referring to anyone on here, but in my life it just so happens to be true
sorry, I took it that I'm an angry Redneck because I didn't vote Obama, and fail to see how this type of humor is going to help unify those of us on BN, much less the country.
We just went thru a long, hard, divisive election. Rather than this type of humor, how about some patience and sensitivity towards those who's candidate lost. Otherwise, rants like those of mikemck ( which i didn't care for either) should be expected.
ImageImage

UAHparrothead
Party at the End of the World
Location: Standing at the fine line between Saturday night and Sunday morning.

Post by UAHparrothead »

C-Dawg wrote:
UAHparrothead wrote:
ph4ever wrote:
C-Dawg wrote:
sorry, I took it that I'm an angry Redneck because I didn't vote Obama, and fail to see how this type of humor is going to help unify those of us on BN, much less the country.
We just went thru a long, hard, divisive election. Rather than this type of humor, how about some patience and sensitivity towards those who's candidate lost. Otherwise, rants like those of mikemck ( which i didn't care for either) should be expected.
Ok one more, There must be a redistribution of humor going on. :lol:

Missing B'dos
We are the People our Parents Warned us
Favorite Buffett Song: When the Coast is Clear...
Favorite Boat Drink: Extra Old, coke, sweet lime, slight ice

Post by Missing B'dos »

Okey dokey, back to Positive. Senator McCain gave a very gracious and positive concession speech.
Now, back to HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY.....
THINK I better go get some more rum.
As we have just come back from de States, and hit de duty free, we happen to have four kinds!
:D
"Oh, oh, all I want to know, is are you kind?"

Jodibug
At the Bama Breeze
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by Jodibug »

My husband died from cancer after a 4 1/2 month courageous battle.

He never once complained, whined or acted out in any way once the diagnosis was made. He made the negative into a positive and lived every day with hope throughout the adversity and pain.

I strive to live with this approach to every situation that arises. My hope is that no one has to learn this lesson the way I had to.

America voted, it's over, move on . . . rise above yourself and make your negative a positive.

GumboPirate
License to Chill

Post by GumboPirate »

Congrats to President-Elect Obama
ImageImage

Frank4
Behind Door #3
Favorite Buffett Song: Death of an Unpopular Poet
Number of Concerts: 13
Favorite Boat Drink: Cajun Martini

Post by Frank4 »

Jodibug wrote:My husband died from cancer after a 4 1/2 month courageous battle.

He never once complained, whined or acted out in any way once the diagnosis was made. He made the negative into a positive and lived every day with hope throughout the adversity and pain.

I strive to live with this approach to every situation that arises. My hope is that no one has to learn this lesson the way I had to.

America voted, it's over, move on . . . rise above yourself and make your negative a positive.
Thank you for sharing your story....I am sorry for your loss, Jodibug...
I thank the Lord for the people I have found
-Elton John

springparrot
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: what time of day is it????
Number of Concerts: 30
Favorite Boat Drink: Mudslide, Strawberry Margarita

Post by springparrot »

Jodibug wrote:My husband died from cancer after a 4 1/2 month courageous battle.

Thank you Jodi

frognot
At the Bama Breeze
Favorite Buffett Song: A Pirate Looks at 40

Post by frognot »

Jodi, i only "knew" Steve from some posts and a couple of PMs with him on COB,O and he was a very smart, funny and caring guy. I wish i had saved those PMs and could re-read those posts. COB,O went drastically downhill with the 2004 election becoming the main topic and (for me) lost it's cool island vibe. I got a invite from Penny to hang out here and have enjoyed BN ever since. (hey, how can you turn down an invite from the Queen?) 8)

I'm thinking "Sam Pittman" would say "Ah hell, it's just politics. Let's pour some sippin' whiskey and change the talk to important stuff like guitars and Willis Alan Ramsey and favorite beers and Jimmy Buffett."

That's what i'm gonna do.

SchoolGirlHeart
Last Man Standing

Post by SchoolGirlHeart »

Wow, I think I'm glad I missed all this mess..... :o

As someone most of you know well once said about the United States, "It's not perfect, but it's the best thing that's come along yet."

For those who have made so much noise about fearing the politics of the President-elect, have you forgotten we have a Constitution? You fear change to that Constitution? Start writing your Senators and Congressman, expressing your views.

I'm one of those who did not vote for Senator Obama, but by God President-elect Obama has my support. Does that mean I agree with him on everything? Absolutely not. But I still have the right to lobby my Senators and Congressman, and express my views to my representatives.

We are about to transfer power in this country, yet there are no tanks in the streets, no one fearing for their lives because they supported the losing candidate. Political appointees aside, government employees do not fear being fired based on the election.

What a country!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Carry on as you know they would want you to do. ~~JB, dedication to Tim Russert

Take your time
Find your passion
Life goes on until it ends
Don’t stop living
Until then

~~Mac McAnally

popcornjack
Changing Channels
Favorite Buffett Song: Biloxi
Number of Concerts: 75
Favorite Boat Drink: Dos Equis

Post by popcornjack »

C-Dawg wrote:
UAHparrothead wrote:
ph4ever wrote:
C-Dawg wrote:
i still love ya'.
Take me for what I am, a star newly emerging.
I accept the new found man, and I set the twilight reeling.

East Texas Parrothead
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: Tonight I Just Need My Guitar *and* Southern Cross
Number of Concerts: 40
Favorite Boat Drink: Mojito

Post by East Texas Parrothead »

Amen, sistah Jodibug! We took the sadness over Steve's death and turned it into one hell of a cookbook. We made something good happen ... in Steve's name. :D

alphabits
God's Own Drunk
Number of Concerts: 8

Post by alphabits »

((((( Jodi )))))