President Barack Obama

In this forum you can discuss anything from sports, news, or what ever is on your mind.

Moderators: SMLCHNG, Saltx3

flipflopgirl
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 53
Favorite Boat Drink: Z-Man's MANGO THINGIES!!!!!
Location: I have been promoted from John Frinzi's stalker to ROADIE!!!! :)

Post by flipflopgirl »

Jodibug wrote:My husband died from cancer after a 4 1/2 month courageous battle.

He never once complained, whined or acted out in any way once the diagnosis was made. He made the negative into a positive and lived every day with hope throughout the adversity and pain.

I strive to live with this approach to every situation that arises. My hope is that no one has to learn this lesson the way I had to.

America voted, it's over, move on . . . rise above yourself and make your negative a positive.
((((((((((((((((((Jodi)))))))))))))))))) well said!!!!! :D
Image "While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats." Mark Twain

Missing B'dos
We are the People our Parents Warned us
Favorite Buffett Song: When the Coast is Clear...
Number of Concerts: 3
Favorite Boat Drink: Extra Old, coke, sweet lime, slight ice

Post by Missing B'dos »

My brother, Pres, was murdered on the campus of San Diego State University on August 15, 1996. He was an advocate of international- getting-long: his wife was from China, his colleagues, who were killed with him, were from Greece and China.... he was an active member of Amnesty International... and he would have been SO PROUD of the USA for finally electing President Barack Obama!!! (Our little niece was hit by a car, and killed, 6 months and one day, after her Daddy Daddy Daddy.) The USA that Obama envisions is the USA that we see, too. I admire Sen. McCain for his gracious concession. My husband remarked that even Pres. Bush had made probably his best speech yet... given his blundering over the last eight years... in his transition talk. But what we need is Barack Obama... thank the lord, the goodness of the people has prevailed. Maybe this was what Presidents Jefferson, Madison, Jackson, Cleveland, double Roosevelts, were talking about. We are GLAD for our children! They now have a future.
"Oh, oh, all I want to know, is are you kind?"

C-Dawg
On a Salty Piece of Land
Favorite Buffett Song: The list is long...
Number of Concerts: 10
Favorite Boat Drink: my next one....this one's empty

Post by C-Dawg »

popcornjack wrote:
C-Dawg wrote:
UAHparrothead wrote:
ph4ever wrote:
C-Dawg wrote:
UAHparrothead wrote:Damn, I haven't seen so many angry rednecks since they cancelled The Jeff Foxworty Show. (Not on here but in my life in general.)
how is this any less condecending than what mikemck wrote? I can really see us becoming unified with posts like this :roll:
it's not followed by a kiss my a$$ statement? :-? :lol:
It's called a joke, you know, funny ha ha, I wasn't referring to anyone on here, but in my life it just so happens to be true
sorry, I took it that I'm an angry Redneck because I didn't vote Obama, and fail to see how this type of humor is going to help unify those of us on BN, much less the country.
We just went thru a long, hard, divisive election. Rather than this type of humor, how about some patience and sensitivity towards those who's candidate lost. Otherwise, rants like those of mikemck ( which i didn't care for either) should be expected.
i still love ya'.
Right back at ya brother.
I hope everyone doesn't see my posts on this thread as a negative, it's not my intention. I'm just trying to get everyone to play nice and recognize now is a time for some patience and sensitivity. If we are to make BN what it was before this ugly election season, it's going to take " a little love and luck"

Better days are in the cards I feel
I feel it in the changing winds
I feel it when I fly
So talk to me
Listen to this story
I've been around enough to know
That there's more than meets the eye

Everbody needs a little good luck charm
A little gris-gris keeps you safe from harm
Rub yours on me and I'll rub mine on you
Luckiest couple on the avenue

With a little love and luck you will get by
With a little love and luck we'll take the sky
In this megalo modern world you've got to try
Try a little love and luck and you'll get by

I really hope Obama can unite the country. If he is to do it, he's going to need all of us doing our part.
Peace out.
ImageImage

Jollymom21
We are the People our Parents Warned us
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by Jollymom21 »

I also would like to offer my congratulations to President Elect Obama!!!!!!

And Senator McCain was exceptionally gracious in this speech last night.

I have to say that I found myself more involved with this campaign than ever before -- really trying to understand all the issues. I voted for Obama but do respect McCain and consider him a true American hero.

That being said, I was still surprised at the tears in my eyes when Obama was named President elect!! And then they flowed some more during and after his speech. What a proud moment for ALL Americans!!

On a side note, I thought it was pretty classy, if anyone else noticed, when all the families came out to join Obama and Biden, Obama took Biden's mother by the hand as well as Michelle's mother and along with Biden, brought them to the front of the stage in acknowledgment of their mothers!! A very thoughtful man, I think! 8)
Breathe in, Breathe out, Move on . . .

mjeischen
Under My Lone Palm
Favorite Buffett Song: Just one? . . . Bastards!
Number of Concerts: 8
Favorite Boat Drink: Cold Draft Beer and things with Sailor Jerry

Post by mjeischen »

mikemck wrote:
Frank4 wrote:I am proud to say that I voted for him. I have not felt this excited about a president in my life. I hope the 47% of the country that did not vote for him gets on board as he tries to unite this country.
And what, exactly, is Obama going to do to reach out to conservatives? How are we supposed to unite with a man who is pro-abortion, anti-1st and 2nd Amendment, wants to appoint anti-Constitution justices, and wants to bankrupt the coal industry?
Maybe he'll buy you a puppy too . . .
The Parrot Dice Lounge kinda like a mirage. Here today and gone tomorrow. You should stop by and say hello when visiting Chicago on tour.

jonesbeach10
Here We Are
Favorite Buffett Song: Weather is Here Wish You Were Beautiful
Number of Concerts: 9
Location: Living with my feet in DC and my head in the cool blue north

Post by jonesbeach10 »

mjeischen wrote:
mikemck wrote:
Frank4 wrote:I am proud to say that I voted for him. I have not felt this excited about a president in my life. I hope the 47% of the country that did not vote for him gets on board as he tries to unite this country.
And what, exactly, is Obama going to do to reach out to conservatives? How are we supposed to unite with a man who is pro-abortion, anti-1st and 2nd Amendment, wants to appoint anti-Constitution justices, and wants to bankrupt the coal industry?
:lol:

Sometimes more than others,
we see who and what and where we are,
I'm just a one man band,
With my feet in the sand,
Tonight I just need my guitar

pbans
On a Salty Piece of Land
Favorite Buffett Song: OPH
Number of Concerts: 9

Post by pbans »

mjeischen wrote:
mikemck wrote:

....that was funny.....thanks Matt!
Paige in Utah
"Don't try to shake it, just nod your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on"

C-Dawg
On a Salty Piece of Land

Post by C-Dawg »

mikemck wrote:
Maybe by giving the man a clean slate and allowing him to attempt to unify the country. I didn't vote for him either, but he IS my President and I'll give him the benefit of doubt until his actions prove him not worthy. It takes open minds and the willingness of both sides to find common ground and room for compromise. With your less than Buffetty attitude, finding compromise will be much harder. Give him a chance, he may prove us both wrong.
ImageImage

mikemck
Gypsies in the palace

Post by mikemck »

mjeischen wrote:
mikemck wrote:
It isn't the role of the government to give people puppies. It's up to each American to earn his own puppy.
Last edited by mikemck on November 6, 2008 8:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Do you realize that if Sonny Corleone had EZ Pass, he'd still be alive today?" - Larry Andersen

mikemck
Gypsies in the palace

Post by mikemck »

C-Dawg wrote:
mikemck wrote:
Maybe by giving the man a clean slate and allowing him to attempt to unify the country. I didn't vote for him either, but he IS my President and I'll give him the benefit of doubt until his actions prove him not worthy. It takes open minds and the willingness of both sides to find common ground and room for compromise. With your less than Buffetty attitude, finding compromise will be much harder. Give him a chance, he may prove us both wrong.
So then, we can't ask question?
"Do you realize that if Sonny Corleone had EZ Pass, he'd still be alive today?" - Larry Andersen

Jodibug
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Jodibug »

frognot wrote:
Jodibug wrote:My husband died from cancer after a 4 1/2 month courageous battle.

He never once complained, whined or acted out in any way once the diagnosis was made. He made the negative into a positive and lived every day with hope throughout the adversity and pain.

I strive to live with this approach to every situation that arises. My hope is that no one has to learn this lesson the way I had to.

America voted, it's over, move on . . . rise above yourself and make your negative a positive.
Jodi, i only "knew" Steve from some posts and a couple of PMs with him on COB,O and he was a very smart, funny and caring guy. I wish i had saved those PMs and could re-read those posts. COB,O went drastically downhill with the 2004 election becoming the main topic and (for me) lost it's cool island vibe. I got a invite from Penny to hang out here and have enjoyed BN ever since. (hey, how can you turn down an invite from the Queen?) 8)

I'm thinking "Sam Pittman" would say "Ah hell, it's just politics. Let's pour some sippin' whiskey and change the talk to important stuff like guitars and Willis Alan Ramsey and favorite beers and Jimmy Buffett."

That's what i'm gonna do.
Thanks for putting a smile on my face and a happy tear in my eye. That is absolutely 100% what he would have said . . . and done. Amen!! :D

Jodibug
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Jodibug »

East Texas Parrothead wrote:

Amen, sistah Jodibug! We took the sadness over Steve's death and turned it into one hell of a cookbook. We made something good happen ... in Steve's name. :D
Yes we (actually you and all the other hard workers) did and that is what this website and parrothood is all about!! LYMI!

FunkHouse9
At the Bama Breeze
Favorite Buffett Song: Nautical Wheelers
Number of Concerts: 23
Favorite Boat Drink: Crown Royal & Ginger Ale

Post by FunkHouse9 »

mikemck wrote:And what, exactly, is Obama going to do to reach out to conservatives? How are we supposed to unite with a man who is pro-abortion, anti-1st and 2nd Amendment, wants to appoint anti-Constitution justices, and wants to bankrupt the coal industry?
Considering the source, I shouldn't even be re-reading the statement. I'm too busy at work today to really be able to look into this, but I'm curious so I'll just ask of anybody who can answer:

How (specifically) is Obama "anti-1st and 2nd Amendment" and how are any justices he is considering appointing considered "anti-Constitution" and who are these individuals being referred to?
Maybe it's because in spite of all the work we do, it's the child in us we really value.

SMLCHNG
Favorite Buffett Song: Tin Cup Chalice/Lovely Cruise
Number of Concerts: 20
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum Runner

Post by SMLCHNG »

:D :D Agreed, SmifferBug!!! And thanks, Charles. 8) :lol:

C-Dawg
On a Salty Piece of Land

Post by C-Dawg »

mikemck wrote:
C-Dawg wrote:
mikemck wrote:
Sure, but now isn't the time. Now is time to try and heal the nation. Like Lennon said" Give Peace a chance".
There is talk of a Republican (Dick Lugar) as his Chief of Staff and other Conservatives being mentioned for other posts. Let's see where this goes before condemning the man. I'll agree with you his past actions prevented me from voting for him, but the bottom line is he is our President and deserves a chance to do the right thing.
ImageImage

mikemck
Gypsies in the palace

Post by mikemck »

C-Dawg wrote:
mikemck wrote:
C-Dawg wrote:
mikemck wrote:
Sure, but now isn't the time. Now is time to try and heal the nation. Like Lennon said" Give Peace a chance".
There is talk of a Republican (Dick Lugar) as his Chief of Staff and other Conservatives being mentioned for other posts. Let's see where this goes before condemning the man. I'll agree with you his past actions prevented me from voting for him, but the bottom line is he is our President and deserves a chance to do the right thing.
And I don't see how not asking a question will help.

flyboy55
I Love the Now!
Number of Concerts: 3

Post by flyboy55 »

I won't be judging the success of Obama's presidency by how many Republicans he appoints to his administration.

I don't think it is Obama's job to 'reach out' to a variety of folks who thought (and still think) that the country would go to 'hell in a handbasket' or worse because of an Obama presidency.

I know there are those who don't support Obama and that's fine. That's politics and politics doesn't end just because the election is over.

What he can do as president is implement his program and policies to the best of his ability. Time will tell whether or not he has helped to make this country better. In four years, the people can let him know whether or not they think he is doing a good job.

Tiki Bar
Thank God the Tiki Torch Still Shines
Favorite Buffett Song: One Particular Harbour / Tin Cup Chalice medley!
Number of Concerts: 30
Favorite Boat Drink: Friends don't let friends drink tequila! Beer me!

Post by Tiki Bar »

mikemck wrote:
C-Dawg wrote:
mikemck wrote:
C-Dawg wrote:
mikemck wrote:
And I don't see how not asking a question will help.
I don't see how asking the question will help. :-? :roll:

Do you think anyone on BN knows this answer??? I think we all just need to wait and see.
You’re still grinning, we’re still winning, nothing left to say
I’m still gliding as I go flying down this endless wave

blackjack
At the Bama Breeze
Favorite Buffett Song: One Particular Harbor or Little Miss Magic
Number of Concerts: 17
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum Runner

Post by blackjack »

flyboy55 wrote:I won't be judging the success of Obama's presidency by how many Republicans he appoints to his administration.

I don't think it is Obama's job to 'reach out' to a variety of folks who thought (and still think) that the country would go to 'hell in a handbasket' or worse because of an Obama presidency.

I know there are those who don't support Obama and that's fine. That's politics and politics doesn't end just because the election is over.

What he can do as president is implement his program and policies to the best of his ability. Time will tell whether or not he has helped to make this country better. In four years, the people can let him know whether or not they think he is doing a good job.
I think that's ABSOULTELY his job now. He promised "unity" and "reaching across the aisles" to bring us together as "not red states or blue states, but as the United States" (any of this sound familiar?)

He's got an uphill battle and for all our sakes, I wish him the best.

C-Dawg
On a Salty Piece of Land

Post by C-Dawg »

flyboy55 wrote:I won't be judging the success of Obama's presidency by how many Republicans he appoints to his administration.

Views like yours do not promote the Unity that Obama ran on.
I hope you're wrong, and Obama tries to build a coalition of free thinkers, from all parties and walks of life. That is the only way he can unite the country, and just not those that already voted for him. Otherwise it's partisan party BS, and business as usual. We've done that for far too long. The pendulum swings left, the pendulum swings right. Why not stop the pendulum right in the middle, and find common ground? It's the biggest reason I voted McCain, because I'm sick of politicians picking party over the people, and McCain had made a career of picking people over the partyline. But, Obama won and is our President, and I'm willing to give him a clean slate and a chance to do right by the country, as long as he shows that those that didn't vote for him are as important to him as those that did.
Last edited by C-Dawg on November 6, 2008 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage