Remember to lock your doors/windows

In this forum you can discuss anything from sports, news, or what ever is on your mind.

Moderators: SMLCHNG, Saltx3

Hoosier PH
License to Chill
Number of Concerts: 0

Remember to lock your doors/windows

Post by Hoosier PH »

Came home Thursday from work to find that my apartment had been robbed. Took my tv, Ipod, camera, gun, all the Christmas presents. We have a screened in porch that they cut through and then busted the lock on the sliding glass door. I brought this up as a reminder to eveyone. There is an article in the local paper that burglaries are on the rise in Indy and I would guess everywhere else also. Just be careful!!

http://www.indystar.com/article/2008120 ... /812080355
Last edited by Hoosier PH on December 8, 2008 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

STL PARROTHEAD
Chewin' on a Honeysuckle Vine
Favorite Buffett Song: OPH
Number of Concerts: 15
Location: packing up 'Louie's Backyard' and heading to a concert near you!

Post by STL PARROTHEAD »

omg...

I'm sorry to hear this :cry: :cry: :cry:

(((((Hoosier)))))
ImageImage

Hoosier PH
License to Chill

Post by Hoosier PH »

STL PARROTHEAD wrote:omg...

(((((Hoosier)))))
Thanks

I am upset about it no doubt but I think I am more upset for the girlfriend as my stuff is more easily replaceable. They got her jewelry box that had things like her class ring and either her grandma's engagement ring or wedding ring plus various other jewelry with sentimental value.

Also I forgot to mention...Be careful opening your doors to strangers. The night before this happened we had a solicitor selling magazines to raise money for a local high school. The girlfriend said "no thanks" and shut the door. The ironic thing is the school he was selling for was 10-15 miles away and he looked to be 25 or so years old. Why would someone that old be selling for a high school? And for a high school not that close? Also the police said a lot of criminals will do this to "scout" out the area to see when people are home and what they may have. The police said also its best to keep your blinds shut all times as sometimes people will look through windows to see whats in there.

STL PARROTHEAD
Favorite Buffett Song: OPH
Number of Concerts: 15
Location: packing up 'Louie's Backyard' and heading to a concert near you!

Post by STL PARROTHEAD »

I get kinda funny at the holidays.... I get worried about stuff sitting around and someone looking in the window. That's why I hardly ever have gifts sitting under the tree until Christmas morning.

Your right, stuff can be replaced, but the things that are sentimental really hurt! oh, that makes me sick about 'grandma's ring'.... :cry:
ImageImage

ph4ever
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: CILCIA or OPH
Number of Concerts: 299
Favorite Boat Drink: Rhum with my Chum or beer

Post by ph4ever »

Hoosier PH wrote:

(((((Hoosier)))))
Thanks

I am upset about it no doubt but I think I am more upset for the girlfriend as my stuff is more easily replaceable. They got her jewelry box that had things like her class ring and either her grandma's engagement ring or wedding ring plus various other jewelry with sentimental value.

Also I forgot to mention...Be careful opening your doors to strangers. The night before this happened we had a solicitor selling magazines to raise money for a local high school. The girlfriend said "no thanks" and shut the door. The ironic thing is the school he was selling for was 10-15 miles away and he looked to be 25 or so years old. Why would someone that old be selling for a high school? And for a high school not that close? Also the police said a lot of criminals will do this to "scout" out the area to see when people are home and what they may have. The police said also its best to keep your blinds shut all times as sometimes people will look through windows to see whats in there.

Check out all the local pawn shops for the jewelry, especially if it's something unusual - like old jewelry. Don't trust the police to do it because they're more than likely short staffed as it is. If you should find anything, contact the police - you can go to court and get it back.

Sorry about your loss
Well...(said in my best Bubba voice) I've been on sabbatical.

I lost my cat :cry: Nevermind I found her!!! [smilie=battingeyes.gif]

ph4ever
Last Man Standing

Post by ph4ever »

Also - everyone remember during hard times, such as these, crime usually goes up. Be extra careful.

springparrot
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: what time of day is it????
Number of Concerts: 30
Favorite Boat Drink: Mudslide, Strawberry Margarita

Post by springparrot »

How awful
Everyone be safe!!!

Coconuts
Behind Door #3
Number of Concerts: 50
Favorite Boat Drink: Something with rum

Post by Coconuts »

That sucks!
My ship she has a rudder, but I don’t know where to steer

nutmeg
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: Barefoot Children (this week)
Number of Concerts: 10

Post by nutmeg »

Dear heavens! So glad your girlfriend wasn't home alone. :o

That is soooo scary.

Sorry also about the sentimental value jewelry.... :(
Friends Walk Together in Life's Garden
ImageImageImage
http://heartofmichiganrescue.com/

dnw
Last Man Standing

Post by dnw »

So sorry to hear about this. :(

Debbie

phjrsaunt
Social Buffettfly
Social Buffettfly
Favorite Buffett Song: Defying Gravity
Number of Concerts: 21
Favorite Boat Drink: coconut rum and...anything!

Post by phjrsaunt »

I'm so sorry that happened! Thanks for the reminder.

My love is staying an anchor tied to you with that silver chain.

Karacal
Party at the End of the World
Number of Concerts: 31
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum & Diet Coke

Post by Karacal »

So very sorry this happened to you. :cry:

So glad everyone is OK. Thanks for the reminder!
Barbara

Image Image

ParrotheadKalee
I Love the Now!

Post by ParrotheadKalee »

(((Jeff and Jess)))

:( :( :(

How do people grow up thinking it's okay to take other people's stuff? :evil:
The cure for everything is saltwater - sweat, tears, or the sea. ~Isak Dinesen

I miss you so badly
I love you madly
Feelin' so sad now since you've been gone, gone, gone

The Lost Manatee
I Love the Now!

Post by The Lost Manatee »

My neighbor's house got broken into while their 11 year old was home alone. He called 911 and hid under the bed until the police showed up. The perps got away even though the police saw them driving off. According to the son, the thieves had been going door to door knocking on each door until they came to a house that no one answered the door and didn't have dogs. At that point they kicked the back door in and proceeded to rob the house.

I guess having two big dogs that like to bark when anyone knocks on the door paid off for a change.
Captain Jack's Bar & Grill, Home to the Lost Manatee.

Livin' and dyin' in 3/4 time.

popcornjack
Changing Channels
Favorite Buffett Song: Biloxi
Number of Concerts: 75
Favorite Boat Drink: Dos Equis

Post by popcornjack »

ph4ever wrote:
Hoosier PH wrote:

(((((Hoosier)))))
Thanks

Check out all the local pawn shops for the jewelry, especially if it's something unusual - like old jewelry. Don't trust the police to do it because they're more than likely short staffed as it is. If you should find anything, contact the police - you can go to court and get it back.

Sorry about your loss
That's exactly what my friend did after she got robbed. Found most of her stuff at a pawn shop, told the guy she had to check with her boyfriend, came back five minutes late with the cops.

Sucks to hear man. Glad everyone's at least okay, but (and not that any time is a good time for it) what a shitty time to get robbed.
Take me for what I am, a star newly emerging.
I accept the new found man, and I set the twilight reeling.

pojo
Changing Channels
Number of Concerts: 17

Post by pojo »

ouch, that hurts especially during the holidays.... :( :( :(
Hope you find as much as you can.

ejr
On a Salty Piece of Land

Post by ejr »

I had an incident where stuff was taken from my garage-they rang the doorbell, and I ignored it so they assumed nobody was home. I didn't hear them in the garage, and they didn't get anything important though it was clear that they passed up more valuable things for those that were new and especially those with tags.

The police told me that if my doorbell is rung at night, I shouldn't hesitate to call the police.
"I finally know what Michael Jordan was talking about when he said he was 'in the zone'"
Jimmy Buffett, 9/4/05, Wrigley Field

Big Phan

Post by Big Phan »

Some people can be real scumbags. :evil:

Glad nobody was hurt and I hope your girlfriend is able to recover her jewelry. And...I hope they find the people who did that to you.

caly
At the Bama Breeze
Favorite Buffett Song: Come Monday
Number of Concerts: 16
Favorite Boat Drink: skinny pirate
Location: St. Thomas, but not the one in U.S.V.I....Canada!!!

Post by caly »

Our shed was robbed last year. Took a brand new lawnmower, power washer and a few other things. Brazen little pricks. Came up our drive way, left clear footprints in the snow, closed up the shed so as not to notice and walked out the back gate. Now the shed is locked, the back gate is locked and we have a gate at the front of the back yard as well. Sux to have to be so protective of you own property on your own property.

Sorry to hear of the sentimental loss. That can never be replaced. Glad no one was hurt.

ph4ever
Last Man Standing

Post by ph4ever »

ejr wrote:I had an incident where stuff was taken from my garage-they rang the doorbell, and I ignored it so they assumed nobody was home. I didn't hear them in the garage, and they didn't get anything important though it was clear that they passed up more valuable things for those that were new and especially those with tags.

The police told me that if my doorbell is rung at night, I shouldn't hesitate to call the police.
my doorbell rings at night I'm going to answer it but have my friends Smith & Wesson with me :wink: