2009 Baseball Season

In this forum you can discuss anything from sports, news, or what ever is on your mind.

Moderator: SMLCHNG

BottleofRum
Chewin' on a Honeysuckle Vine
Favorite Buffett Song: He Went to Paris: It's My Job
Favorite Boat Drink: Barbancourt Rhum

Re: 2009 Baseball Season

Post by BottleofRum »

drunkpirate66 wrote:More and more I think about it:

The best K/BB ratio ever . . . and the best modern day post season wins and ERA . . . with 3,000 K's and 200 wins (new modern standard . . . 300 wins is a thing of the past and I doubt anyone starting in the past few years will hit 250 either) should do it. Schilling gets in. Peter Gammons said he would vote for Curt first ballot. Gammons is like a trend setter . . . :pirate:
After RJ gets his 300th this season then 300 wins will be a thing of the past BUT Schilling's played just about his whole career with pitchers who did get 300 wins, Maddux, Clemens, Glavin and soon-to-be RJ so 300 wins were not a thing of the past while he was playing.

Whether he gets in or doesn't get in I don't think it will be a injustice either way. You can make a strong case for both sides.

But the HOF monitor (http://www.baseball-reference.com/leade ... itor.shtml
) has Schilling as a slam dunk HOFer and they are pretty spot on with every other player. They rate him at 171, every pitcher on their list from the modern era that is eligible for the HOF with a rating over 137 is in.
- - “If it doesn't work out there will never be any doubt that the pleasure was worth all the pain.”
drunkpirate66
Here We Are
Favorite Buffett Song: Take Another Road
Number of Concerts: 67
Favorite Boat Drink: Beers.

Post by drunkpirate66 »

Boston media is reporting that some fairly major offers have come in for Clay Buccholtz in the past couple weeks. Buccholtz has a 0.46 Spring Training ERA and, according to Peter Gammons and Baseball America could be the number 1 starter on 8 MLB teams (some sources would argue more than 10). With practically every MLB team lacking a 4 and 5 starter the Red Sox, who literally have 7 when Smoltz comes back in May, could move Buccoltz for a high caliber player. Jarrod Saltalamacchia has been ruled out for now. Talk about the haves versus the have nots.

You can never have too much pitching but if a kid like Buccholtz is going to start in the minors with Justin Masterson moved to the bull pen, with Danial Bard (100 MPH) and Michael Bowden also waiting in the minors, with Becket, Lester, Dice, Wake, Penny . . . slated for your rotation . . . if the offer is good I would think the Sox would move him.
the hit and run is as good as any religion around this time of year . . .
jonesbeach10
Here We Are
Favorite Buffett Song: Weather is Here Wish You Were Beautiful
Number of Concerts: 9
Location: Living with my feet in DC and my head in the cool blue north

Post by jonesbeach10 »

drunkpirate66 wrote:Boston media is reporting that some fairly major offers have come in for Clay Buccholtz in the past couple weeks. Buccholtz has a 0.46 Spring Training ERA and, according to Peter Gammons and Baseball America could be the number 1 starter on 8 MLB teams (some sources would argue more than 10). With practically every MLB team lacking a 4 and 5 starter the Red Sox, who literally have 7 when Smoltz comes back in May, could move Buccoltz for a high caliber player. Jarrod Saltalamacchia has been ruled out for now. Talk about the haves versus the have nots.

You can never have too much pitching but if a kid like Buccholtz is going to start in the minors with Justin Masterson moved to the bull pen, with Danial Bard (100 MPH) and Michael Bowden also waiting in the minors, with Becket, Lester, Dice, Wake, Penny . . . slated for your rotation . . . if the offer is good I would think the Sox would move him.
The offer better be damn good. You can never have enough pitching. Penny and Smoltz have both had significant injury problems in the past few years. Beckett's probably going to be good for a stint on the DL at some point this season if history is any indicator. Wakefield is old. I don't think it's time to give up on a young talented pitcher like Clay so soon, at least not until it becomes clear during the season what the Red Sox will need to make a run into October.

Sometimes more than others,
we see who and what and where we are,
I'm just a one man band,
With my feet in the sand,
Tonight I just need my guitar
C-Dawg
On a Salty Piece of Land
Favorite Buffett Song: The list is long...
Number of Concerts: 10
Favorite Boat Drink: my next one....this one's empty

Post by C-Dawg »

jonesbeach10 wrote:
drunkpirate66 wrote:Boston media is reporting that some fairly major offers have come in for Clay Buccholtz in the past couple weeks. Buccholtz has a 0.46 Spring Training ERA and, according to Peter Gammons and Baseball America could be the number 1 starter on 8 MLB teams (some sources would argue more than 10). With practically every MLB team lacking a 4 and 5 starter the Red Sox, who literally have 7 when Smoltz comes back in May, could move Buccoltz for a high caliber player. Jarrod Saltalamacchia has been ruled out for now. Talk about the haves versus the have nots.

The offer better be damn good. You can never have enough pitching. Penny and Smoltz have both had significant injury problems in the past few years. Beckett's probably going to be good for a stint on the DL at some point this season if history is any indicator. Wakefield is old. I don't think it's time to give up on a young talented pitcher like Clay so soon, at least not until it becomes clear during the season what the Red Sox will need to make a run into October.
I agree....even if they don't need him this year, they will next. Smoltz, Wakefield and Penny are probably in their last years, and Beckett hasn't proven that he is the ace he was.
You can NEVER have enough pitching.
ImageImage

jonesbeach10
Here We Are

Post by jonesbeach10 »

C-Dawg wrote:
jonesbeach10 wrote:

I agree....even if they don't need him this year, they will next. Smoltz, Wakefield and Penny are probably in their last years, and Beckett hasn't proven that he is the ace he was.
Hell, after all the injuries the Yankees starting pitching staff endured, I don't think CC, Burnett, Wang, Pettitte, Joba, Hughes, Aceves, Kennedy (and Tomko I think?) is enough.

I'm just a one man band,
drunkpirate66
Here We Are

Post by drunkpirate66 »

C-Dawg wrote:
jonesbeach10 wrote:

"Having too much pitching" is the oldest and probably the most accurate cliche' in baseball. But that is not the question. This is not like the Bronson Arroyo for Willy Mo sh*t deal that just didn't matter (despite Bronson's amazing numbers because pitching in the NL Central is not quite as hard as pitching in the AL East :D ). The question is because Clay Buccholtz is projected to be (Baseball America, Peter Gammons) a Number 1 Starter on atleast 8 MLB teams what is he worth? The Red Sox think Hanley Ramirez level which, of course, was shut down. A number 1 starter could warrant an MVP level player. Buccholtz is also cheap; and is cheap for the next two seasons. Buccholtz is also a head case. The Red Sox might be wise to try to move him . . . and with the young age of Becket, Dice, Lester and minor leaguers projected to be number 2 starters like Bard and Bowden . . . AND with Justin Masterson who could be a number 2 starter right now the Sox have plenty of security for the next 5 + years in their rotation . . . if not more. That is some amazing Minor League development.
BottleofRum

Post by BottleofRum »

drunkpirate66 wrote:
C-Dawg wrote:
jonesbeach10 wrote:

"Having too much pitching" is the oldest and probably the most accurate cliche' in baseball. But that is not the question. This is not like the Bronson Arroyo for Willy Mo sh*t deal that just didn't matter (despite Bronson's amazing numbers because pitching in the NL Central is not quite as hard as pitching in the AL East :D ). The question is because Clay Buccholtz is projected to be (Baseball America, Peter Gammons) a Number 1 Starter on atleast 8 MLB teams what is he worth? The Red Sox think Hanley Ramirez level which, of course, was shut down. A number 1 starter could warrant an MVP level player. Buccholtz is also cheap; and is cheap for the next two seasons. Buccholtz is also a head case. The Red Sox might be wise to try to move him . . . and with the young age of Becket, Dice, Lester and minor leaguers projected to be number 2 starters like Bard and Bowden . . . AND with Justin Masterson who could be a number 2 starter right now the Sox have plenty of security for the next 5 + years in their rotation . . . if not more. That is some amazing Minor League development.

Clay Buccholtz won't be traded, they project him as their #4 starter next season behind Beckett, Lester and DiceK, they would have to be overwhelmed with an offer to trade him right now. Justin Masterson is not ready to be a starting pitcher, he still has problems getting lefties out on a regular basis. If anyone gets traded they are more likely to trade Michael Bowden and they project Daniel Bard as a relief pitch and that is how he is being used. The Red Sox don't have a ton of faith in Papplebon's long term health or his long term contract demands so they are looking at Bard as the closer of the future. Bard's last 67 appearances starting in 2007 in the minor leagues have all been out of the bullpen, his era in the last 2 season has been below 2.00.
- - “If it doesn't work out there will never be any doubt that the pleasure was worth all the pain.”
jonesbeach10
Here We Are

Post by jonesbeach10 »

drunkpirate66 wrote:
C-Dawg wrote:
jonesbeach10 wrote:

"Having too much pitching" is the oldest and probably the most accurate cliche' in baseball. But that is not the question.
You mean it's not "the home run is the most important play in all of sports"? :lol:

I'm just a one man band,
drunkpirate66
Here We Are

Post by drunkpirate66 »

jonesbeach10 wrote:
drunkpirate66 wrote:
C-Dawg wrote:
jonesbeach10 wrote:

"Having too much pitching" is the oldest and probably the most accurate cliche' in baseball. But that is not the question.
You mean it's not "the home run is the most important play in all of sports"? :lol:

:lol: Especially when your Home run total added to your RBI total is still less than your Strikeout total. Yeah. Then its wicked valuable.
TheSecretsInTheCrust
Party at the End of the World
Favorite Buffett Song: California Promises
Number of Concerts: 30
Favorite Boat Drink: Captain & Coke

Post by TheSecretsInTheCrust »

I have watched Steven Strassburg pitch from HS (West Hills HS, Santee, CA) into college (SDSU). He will be the #1 draft pick and is being touted as the "best Amatuer EVER!?". Funny that in HS the school I coach at beat him up, but Tony Gwynn's staff has turned him into a 100mph monster. I have heard that Scott Boras will be his agent and that $50 Mil is the neighborhood they will be seeking. The Grossmont HS baseball conference is a small one. News travels fast. There is another Grossmont Conference kid looking like a high draft pick. Santana (Santee, CA) HS's James Needy is throwing very well. We at Steele Canyon HS have a senior (Andrew Bellatti) that could be a 1st round pick, he already has a full ride to Cal ST-Fullerton. He is throwing 89 - 95 and a 3-1 K to BB ratio. Twins have been out 4 times to watch him. Just hope he remembers his JV coach when he hits the bigs. :roll: :D

HS baseball in San Diego county this year might be as deep as ever.
Find Yourself A Lover Who Will Glue You To The Floor
Bfan53again
Under My Lone Palm
Favorite Buffett Song: "I Have Found Me a Home"
Number of Concerts: 8
Favorite Boat Drink: Dark 'n Stormy

Post by Bfan53again »

Does the regular season actually start this Sunday night as ESPN is advertising or is it just a dream???????? :pirate:

I can't believe how long this Spring season has been........ [smilie=grrrrrr.gif]

I'm ready to see some games that actually "count"! :pirate:
On most days I say: "Wrinkles only go where the smiles have been...."
Sometimes I can only say: "There is no dumbass vaccine......"

If something or someone gets you down, just remember: "In a hundred years it all won’t matter.........."
rumdrinks
Half-baked cookies in the oven
Favorite Buffett Song: How can you pick just one ?
Favorite Boat Drink: all of them

Post by rumdrinks »

Just got back from sunny FLA and a couple of Phillies spring training games (both against the Yankees , won 1 lost 1). I can't believe I waited this long to go down for spring training. I could do this every year. You can't get any closer to the field and see good baseball. Especially near the end of spring training when the regulars start playing 6-7 innings.
Rum. Helping ugly people have sex since 1762.
docandjeanie
Favorite Buffett Song: Migration, Love in the library, Happily Ever after
Number of Concerts: 40
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum Jumbie

Post by docandjeanie »

rumdrinks wrote:Just got back from sunny FLA and a couple of Phillies spring training games (both against the Yankees , won 1 lost 1). I can't believe I waited this long to go down for spring training. I could do this every year. You can't get any closer to the field and see good baseball. Especially near the end of spring training when the regulars start playing 6-7 innings.

My sisters were there as well, they spent some time at the tiki bar. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I can't wait for meaningful baseball games starting sunday. I'll be there :)

Wednesday the Phillies get their world series rings [smilie=happydance.gif] [smilie=happydance.gif] [smilie=happydance.gif] [smilie=happydance.gif] [smilie=happydance.gif] [smilie=happydance.gif] [smilie=happydance.gif] [smilie=happydance.gif] [smilie=happydance.gif] [smilie=happydance.gif]
rumdrinks
Half-baked cookies in the oven
Favorite Buffett Song: How can you pick just one ?
Favorite Boat Drink: all of them

Post by rumdrinks »

docandjeanie wrote:
rumdrinks wrote:Just got back from sunny FLA and a couple of Phillies spring training games (both against the Yankees , won 1 lost 1). I can't believe I waited this long to go down for spring training. I could do this every year. You can't get any closer to the field and see good baseball. Especially near the end of spring training when the regulars start playing 6-7 innings.

My sisters were there as well, they spent some time at the tiki bar. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I can't wait for meaningful baseball games starting sunday. I'll be there :)

Wednesday the Phillies get their world series rings [smilie=happydance.gif] [smilie=happydance.gif] [smilie=happydance.gif] [smilie=happydance.gif] [smilie=happydance.gif] [smilie=happydance.gif] [smilie=happydance.gif] [smilie=happydance.gif] [smilie=happydance.gif] [smilie=happydance.gif]
Yeah, had a Yuengling or two or three at the Tiki bar myself. Beautiful park to watch a game in.
You must have a good connection to get tickets for opening night :D :D :D
Rum. Helping ugly people have sex since 1762.
BottleofRum

Post by BottleofRum »

TheSecretsInTheCrust wrote:I have watched Steven Strassburg pitch from HS (West Hills HS, Santee, CA) into college (SDSU). He will be the #1 draft pick and is being touted as the "best Amatuer EVER!?". Funny that in HS the school I coach at beat him up, but Tony Gwynn's staff has turned him into a 100mph monster. I have heard that Scott Boras will be his agent and that $50 Mil is the neighborhood they will be seeking. The Grossmont HS baseball conference is a small one. News travels fast. There is another Grossmont Conference kid looking like a high draft pick. Santana (Santee, CA) HS's James Needy is throwing very well. We at Steele Canyon HS have a senior (Andrew Bellatti) that could be a 1st round pick, he already has a full ride to Cal ST-Fullerton. He is throwing 89 - 95 and a 3-1 K to BB ratio. Twins have been out 4 times to watch him. Just hope he remembers his JV coach when he hits the bigs. :roll: :D

HS baseball in San Diego county this year might be as deep as ever.

I remember two recent can't miss pitching prospects that requested and got a lot of money, Brien Taylor and Mark Prior both turned out to be MLB busts. Mark prior had "some"MLB success but for what he was paid and projected to be a 42-29 through 6 seasons equals a bust but not as bad as Brien Taylor who never played a game in the major leagues.

Minnesota, who had the #1 pick in 2001 passed on Mark Prior because they were warned that Prior didn't want to play for them, fearing a signability problem, the Twins opted to take a catcher named Joe Mauer (you may have heard of him) -- with the 2nd pick the Cubs then selected Mark Prior. Exhibit A as to why the small market Minnesota have won multiple world championships the last 25 years and the Cubs gave not won anything in 100+ year's.
C-Dawg
On a Salty Piece of Land
Favorite Buffett Song: The list is long...
Number of Concerts: 10
Favorite Boat Drink: my next one....this one's empty

Post by C-Dawg »

Here's how Boston.com's Mazzerotti has this years AL East race....I agree with most of it but would pick the Sox starting pitchers over the Yankees. I see it as a 2 team race, with injuries deciding 1 & 2, and the Yankees a half dozen back.

ImageImage

drunkpirate66
Here We Are

Post by drunkpirate66 »

C-Dawg wrote:Here's how Boston.com's Mazzerotti has this years AL East race....I agree with most of it but would pick the Sox starting pitchers over the Yankees. I see it as a 2 team race, with injuries deciding 1 & 2, and the Yankees a half dozen back.

Sox starting pitchers floor the Yankees starting pitching. It isn't even close. TB has far better starting pitching than NY. Also, the Red Sox bull pen could be the best in the American League. Their bull pen is what puts them slightly (I mean like nano/ slightly :lol: ) ahead of TB. TB's bull pen is good . . . but I think they will lose a significant number of games.

I agree with you C - Dawg. TB and Boston separated by a game or two. Yankees 6 or more back (age, lack of defense, lack of outfielders who can throw . . . no real pitching depth . . . below average bull pen other than Mariano who will fall apart one of these years I am convinced! :lol: ).
LIPH
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 0
Favorite Boat Drink: my next beer, as long as it's not Blandshark

Post by LIPH »

C-Dawg wrote:Here's how Boston.com's Mazzerotti has this years AL East race....I agree with most of it but would pick the Sox starting pitchers over the Yankees. I see it as a 2 team race, with injuries deciding 1 & 2, and the Yankees a half dozen back.

I saw an article a few days ago that the Yankees are going to limit Joba Chamberlain to about 140 innings this year. The next sentence said they expect him to get 30 starts. That's less than 5 innings/start. Why even bother?
what I really mean . . . I wish you were here
RinglingRingling
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: Glory Days
Number of Concerts: 0
Favorite Boat Drink: Landshark, and Margaritaville products...

Post by RinglingRingling »

LIPH wrote:

I saw an article a few days ago that the Yankees are going to limit Joba Chamberlain to about 140 innings this year. The next sentence said they expect him to get 30 starts. That's less than 5 innings/start. Why even bother?
he'll have more free time for community service, or driving school
Lightning Bolt
Favorite Buffett Song: Tryin To Reason...
Number of Concerts: 17
Location: Mt. Helix looking east to the future, west to this sunset

Post by Lightning Bolt »

RinglingRingling wrote:
LIPH wrote:

he'll have more free time for community service, or driving school
I think it's pathetic to think that you're getting value from a starting pitcher that can barely get you to the 6th.
The game really has devolved in that sense... :-?
$#@&...only Vegas again?? Padres ...gotta start believin'!Bring on '14 Spring Training!