Iowa Teen Wins Text-Messaging Championship

In this forum you can discuss anything from sports, news, or what ever is on your mind.

Moderator: SMLCHNG

SMLCHNG
Favorite Buffett Song: Lovely Cruise/Bubbles Up
Number of Concerts: 20
Favorite Boat Drink: Extra dirty gin martini

Iowa Teen Wins Text-Messaging Championship

Post by SMLCHNG »

:o :roll: :o :roll: This I do NOT get.

http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2009/06/17/ ... mpionship/

After the tears (and there were tears), texts and frantic thumb work, Kate Moore, 15 years old, came from behind to win the best-of-three finals round of LG’s U.S. National Texting Championships Tuesday.

Kate Moore, who has an incredible 500 a day average for texts, won the grueling competition, which included such tests of texting savvy as running an obstacle course while posting messages, ignoring trash talking actors dressed as various emoticons while texting tongue twisters, and seeing how fast popular phrases could be zinged from her fingertips.

Kate Moore, a Des Moines, Iowa, high-school student, holds her texting trophy in New York Tuesday.
Ms. Moore, from Des Moines, Iowa, beat Morgan Dynda, 14 years old, for the $50,000 prize by being first to text an error-free modified chorus from “Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah.”
Lightning Bolt
Party at the End of the World
Favorite Buffett Song: Tryin To Reason...
Number of Concerts: 17
Location: Mt. Helix looking east to the future, west to this sunset

Re: Iowa Teen Wins Text-Messaging Championship

Post by Lightning Bolt »

I don't which title is more ridiculous... speed-texting or cup stacking
$#@&...only Vegas again?? Padres ...gotta start believin'!Bring on '14 Spring Training!
flipflopgirl
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 53
Favorite Boat Drink: Z-Man's MANGO THINGIES!!!!!
Location: I have been promoted from John Frinzi's stalker to ROADIE!!!! :)

Post by flipflopgirl »

:roll: :roll: :roll: uuugghhh what will they think of next???? :lol: :lol:
Image "While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats." Mark Twain
Frank4
Behind Door #3
Favorite Buffett Song: Death of an Unpopular Poet
Number of Concerts: 13
Favorite Boat Drink: Cajun Martini

Post by Frank4 »

How I hate text messaging....my 14 year old is one of the masters of it....
I thank the Lord for the people I have found
-Elton John
Tiki Bar
Thank God the Tiki Torch Still Shines
Favorite Buffett Song: One Particular Harbour / Tin Cup Chalice medley!
Number of Concerts: 30
Favorite Boat Drink: Friends don't let friends drink tequila! Beer me!

Post by Tiki Bar »

I'm not willing to join the texting world yet... just another step in the anti-socialization of people. It bugs the heck out of me when people text me... I shouldn't have to pay a quarter and dig out some reading glasses when it's just as easy to pick up the phone and call. That way there's back and forth communication, and everything!

/rant
You’re still grinning, we’re still winning, nothing left to say
I’m still gliding as I go flying down this endless wave
Frank4
Behind Door #3
Favorite Buffett Song: Death of an Unpopular Poet
Number of Concerts: 13
Favorite Boat Drink: Cajun Martini

Post by Frank4 »

Tiki Bar wrote:I'm not willing to join the texting world yet... just another step in the anti-socialization of people. It bugs the heck out of me when people text me... I shouldn't have to pay a quarter and dig out some reading glasses when it's just as easy to pick up the phone and call. That way there's back and forth communication, and everything!

/rant

AMEN!!!
I thank the Lord for the people I have found
-Elton John
Hockey Mon
At the Bama Breeze
Favorite Buffett Song: Anything with a guitar in it
Number of Concerts: 0
Favorite Boat Drink: The one that's free
Location: On the far side of the Washington Capitals rink in VA

Post by Hockey Mon »

Frank4 wrote:
Tiki Bar wrote:I'm not willing to join the texting world yet... just another step in the anti-socialization of people. It bugs the heck out of me when people text me... I shouldn't have to pay a quarter and dig out some reading glasses when it's just as easy to pick up the phone and call. That way there's back and forth communication, and everything!

/rant

AMEN!!!
Although it is handy if you are at a place where it's a bit loud to have a conversation with someone (say, at a concert or a bar). I've gone to places looking for someone, can't find them, text them and we devise a meeting place. It does has it's place. But a competition for it is a bit much.
Twenty degrees and the hockey games on...
Brown Eyed Girl
Nibblin' on Oreos

Post by Brown Eyed Girl »

Lightning Bolt wrote:I don't which title is more ridiculous... speed-texting or cup stacking
At least cup stacking doesn't kill.... :-?

I don't get it either, Penny. Are parents proud of their kids for winning this title? Whatever happened to limits? No kid needs to be sending 500 texts a day. heck, no adult needs to either.

This Jack Mosley song comes to mind...

Then we're tooling around in our portable homes
with our CD players and cellular phones
man we are so in touch, we're all connected up.
Yeah we can be found wherever we are
up in the hills or out on the boulevard, as we cruise the strip
man we are way too hip.
Then your pager goes off and your cellphone rings
and you wreck your car doing too many things
Pick up those keys you know what to do
set em aside, change your point of view...

Don't you think it's time
we simplified our lives
got out of those cars, you know that we could even try
to have a normal conversation, take a walk down the park
get down to the basics
don't you think it's time, we start?
buffettbride
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 5
Favorite Boat Drink: Cuba Libre

Post by buffettbride »

I text with my daughter all the time. We'd be lost without it, and it saves us minutes. No texting at the dinner table, no matter how many dingers are going off. She just earned cell phone priveliges with friends after 6 months of cell phone probation. Unfortunately, she got a little slacking with her chores, so we took the phone away for the week. Boy my house is clean!
pbans
On a Salty Piece of Land
Favorite Buffett Song: OPH
Number of Concerts: 9

Post by pbans »

500 a day......rookie.
My daughter could kick her ass....
Paige in Utah
"Don't try to shake it, just nod your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on"
buffettbride
Last Man Standing

Post by buffettbride »

pbans wrote:500 a day......rookie.

well, you know what iowa stands for don't you?

idiots out wandering around.
Glorfindel7
At the Bama Breeze
Number of Concerts: 15
Favorite Boat Drink: Beer, but I also like Margaritas :)

Post by Glorfindel7 »

Speaking of texting I just had to put 250 texts a month onto two phones (not so much for outgoing but INCOMING... I've been getting dinged .35 cents a call for about 20 texts while one of my family members was on vacation :o)
Tinley Park - June 30, Alpine - ???, Vegas -???
STL PARROTHEAD
Chewin' on a Honeysuckle Vine
Number of Concerts: 15
Location: packing up 'Louie's Backyard' and heading to a concert near you!

Post by STL PARROTHEAD »

pbans wrote:500 a day......rookie.
:lol: :lol: yea, mine could too.
ImageImage
Spider Johnson
User banned 30 days

Post by Spider Johnson »

So what did people do BEFORE text messages?

Granted there may be noisy places where texting can/would be handy. Sometimes it might be nice to have say, directions in text.
Maybe it is more private, whatever.
However for the most part if you can call, you can say it. I have as of yet to text anyone on my cell, that I have had for several years. I call them back.

Part of it is the texting racket charge. It uses the same bandwidth and there is no need for the extra charge. The company already makes more than enough $$$ off of me and every other customer.

The other part is the time going through the tiny numbers/letters to
type a message when I can make the call and be done. UMMmm excuse me...why do I have the phone ? I have the phone to CALL or recieve calls. Anything else is just whatever the server provides or wants to charge me/us for.
That does not mean I/you have to use it or pay for or want the extra add ons.

I guess the people just suffered before this tech came about. Poor keets. Poor parents....all that suffering......

What will people do when the batteries on the phone suddenly die or in an area where there is no service?

Oh my....the inhumanity....the madness....People dealt with it long before they had such tech available.
I could think of much better things to award $50K for, besides this idiotic contest.

Talk about idiocy......So who really paid for all of those text messages and the $50K? Do you own a cell phone or stock with that particular company?
CCIAHHOIIATTPPSSWBBIWNLHFMD! YLPSPSNB!IIWYOIWSIOSUTP!

Have a nice day! 8-)
Those who can, actually do, those who can't, continue to prove their ignorance.
ph4ever
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: CILCIA or OPH
Number of Concerts: 299
Favorite Boat Drink: Rhum with my Chum or beer

Post by ph4ever »

buffettbride wrote:I text with my daughter all the time. We'd be lost without it, and it saves us minutes. No texting at the dinner table, no matter how many dingers are going off. She just earned cell phone priveliges with friends after 6 months of cell phone probation. Unfortunately, she got a little slacking with her chores, so we took the phone away for the week. Boy my house is clean!

I'd text more with Mongo if I had a qwerty phone. He sees how frustrated I get while texting with a regular. :lol: :lol:
Well...(said in my best Bubba voice) I've been on sabbatical.
flyboy55
I Love the Now!
Number of Concerts: 3

Post by flyboy55 »

I don't text. I have a love-hate relationship with the cell phone my wife forces me to carry around.

But I don't see anything wrong with this kind of competition. It's just simple, mindless fun - like those 'strong man' competitions where teams of four guys take turns lifting things up and putting them back down, or those monster truck shows at the arena where guys drive big trucks over top of other trucks and cars, or most pro sports for that matter ("hey every once in a while I can hit that ball with this bat right over the fence and I get paid five million dollars a year to do it!!!").
Spider Johnson
User banned 30 days

Post by Spider Johnson »

flyboy55 wrote:I don't text. I have a love-hate relationship with the cell phone my wife forces me to carry around.

But I don't see anything wrong with this kind of competition. It's just simple, mindless fun - like those 'strong man' competitions where teams of four guys take turns lifting things up and putting them back down, or those monster truck shows at the arena where guys drive big trucks over top of other trucks and cars, or most pro sports for that matter ("hey every once in a while I can hit that ball with this bat right over the fence and I get paid five million dollars a year to do it!!!").
It rates right up there and is about as interesting as "who can pee the furtherest". Does it really matter and who really cares?
They know what they can do with those all of the majority of those useless text messages..... I know I would much rather hear a human voice than have to go through the hoops to play the messsage game. It is much easier and faster, to call and leave a voice mail, than go through the texting process.

If you want to talk, use that feature, since that is primarly what the phone is for. Doesn't it make it sense to use it for that?

Oh wait, throw sense out the window! (Sense seemingly has no meaning anymore.) Let's make everyone else pay, to award some keet somewhere, $50K for nimble fingers and being good at wasting their parents money. Maybe in this day and age, it will make a deposit on the college fund...or else a front row seat at a JB concert.

Definitely something to be proud about....my keet can text me all the time, but can't ever find time to actually talk with me? I certainly would be very proud of that. NOT!
I suppose I would be glad I was at least was hearing from my keet.
CCIAHHOIIATTPPSSWBBIWNLHFMD! YLPSPSNB!IIWYOIWSIOSUTP!

Have a nice day! 8-)
Those who can, actually do, those who can't, continue to prove their ignorance.
buffettbride
Last Man Standing

Post by buffettbride »

ph4ever wrote:
buffettbride wrote:I text with my daughter all the time. We'd be lost without it, and it saves us minutes. No texting at the dinner table, no matter how many dingers are going off. She just earned cell phone priveliges with friends after 6 months of cell phone probation. Unfortunately, she got a little slacking with her chores, so we took the phone away for the week. Boy my house is clean!

I'd text more with Mongo if I had a qwerty phone. He sees how frustrated I get while texting with a regular. :lol: :lol:
I love my qwerty. I have an ENv2. Not the greatest phone, but it's slick as an oily nipple when it comes to texting.
Migration Michelle
Behind Door #3

Post by Migration Michelle »

I could've definitely given that little chick a run for her money!! :wink:
phjrsaunt
Social Buffettfly
Social Buffettfly
Favorite Buffett Song: Defying Gravity
Number of Concerts: 21
Favorite Boat Drink: coconut rum and...anything!

Post by phjrsaunt »

What is the world coming to when people can win SERIOUS money for being adept at TEXT MESSAGING??? What is this TEACHING our young people? :evil:

My love is staying an anchor tied to you with that silver chain.