Should he resign???

In this forum you can discuss anything from sports, news, or what ever is on your mind.

Moderators: SMLCHNG, Saltx3

ph4ever
Last Man Standing
Posts: 50491
Joined: July 31, 2002 1:26 pm
Favorite Buffett Song: CILCIA or OPH
Number of Concerts: 299
Favorite Boat Drink: Rhum with my Chum or beer
Location: Home in the GREAT state of Texas!

Should he resign???

Post by ph4ever »

I'm sure by now the majority of us have heard about Governor Mark Sanford being "missing". Forget the letter behind his name - should he resign as governor?

I've been on the fence regarding this. On one hand I feel the fact he had an affair really shouldn't be the reason for his resignation except for the fact of his past uber conservative views towards other politicians who had affairs including backing impeachment articles against Clinton because of his affair. Then on the other hand there's a certain amount of uncertanity if his staff even knew his whereabouts - which IMHO is a big huge nono. After all he is the governor and there could have been some sort of crisis while he was away in Argentina.

So I'm curious on 2 things.

#1- is it possible that we can discuss this while remaining civil?
#2- what are your views?
Well...(said in my best Bubba voice) I've been on sabbatical.

ejr
On a Salty Piece of Land
Posts: 13850
Joined: May 31, 2001 8:00 pm

Re: Should he resign???

Post by ejr »

Yes, I think he should resign, but not because of the affair.

When the governor of a state disappears for several days, with, it seems nobody knowing where he is, and with his staff seemingly misled about where he is, that is totally irresponsible to his state, his constituency, and to anyone who cares about him, including his family.
"I finally know what Michael Jordan was talking about when he said he was 'in the zone'"
Jimmy Buffett, 9/4/05, Wrigley Field

Hockey Mon
At the Bama Breeze
Posts: 4134
Joined: July 21, 2006 5:08 pm
Favorite Buffett Song: Anything with a guitar in it
Number of Concerts: 0
Favorite Boat Drink: The one that's free
Location: On the far side of the Washington Capitals rink in VA
Contact:

Re: Should he resign???

Post by Hockey Mon »

ph4ever wrote:#1- is it possible that we can discuss this while remaining civil?
#2- what are your views?
1. 50/50 chance.
2. I'm looking outside my office window right now. It is sunny.
Twenty degrees and the hockey games on...

dean_siu
Under My Lone Palm
Posts: 5107
Joined: January 1, 2002 7:00 pm
Number of Concerts: 0
Location: Las Vegas
Contact:

Re: Should he resign???

Post by dean_siu »

It depends....is his mistress hot? :lol: :lol: :lol:

j/k

Absolutely not, an affair is not a criminal offense. He should answer to his wife and to his god....but not to his state or the country. Leave personal lifes out of politics.

Skibo
Hoot!
Posts: 2592
Joined: July 3, 2006 6:14 pm

Re: Should he resign???

Post by Skibo »

1. The odds are against civility

2. Not my state, but if it were he should go. He left the state and most did not know where he was. It is possible those close to him knew where he was but attempted to cover it up. I am annoyed with him as a Republican because the party attempts to present itself as the moral choice. I am really getting tired of these clowns acting like democrats. I also spit in the general direction of Sean Hannity for talking like it was no big deal yesterday.
Rub yours on me and I'll rub mine on you

RinglingRingling
Last Man Standing
Posts: 53938
Joined: May 30, 2004 3:12 pm
Favorite Buffett Song: Glory Days
Number of Concerts: 0
Favorite Boat Drink: Landshark, and Margaritaville products...
Location: Where payphones all are ringing
Contact:

Re: Should he resign???

Post by RinglingRingling »

the biggest concern, "ZOMG!!!! who's gonna run this asylum if he is out of the country!!!"

it was that crucial moment that North Carolina chose to invade, calling for "One Carolina, Under God!!!!"

ph4ever
Last Man Standing
Posts: 50491
Joined: July 31, 2002 1:26 pm
Favorite Buffett Song: CILCIA or OPH
Number of Concerts: 299
Favorite Boat Drink: Rhum with my Chum or beer
Location: Home in the GREAT state of Texas!

Re: Should he resign???

Post by ph4ever »

RinglingRingling wrote:the biggest concern, "ZOMG!!!! who's gonna run this asylum if he is out of the country!!!"

it was that crucial moment that North Carolina chose to invade, calling for "One Carolina, Under God!!!!"
Ok that's another point :wink: :D

My thought was more along the line of some sort of natural disaster, or possibly a man made disaster where as the governor he may be needed.
Well...(said in my best Bubba voice) I've been on sabbatical.

Whodat81
I have found me a home
Posts: 164
Joined: May 8, 2008 9:47 am
Favorite Buffett Song: Tin Cup Chalice
Number of Concerts: 8
Favorite Boat Drink: Bloody Mary
Location: Sportsman's Paradise

Re: Should he resign???

Post by Whodat81 »

Forget Republican/democrat parties and realize that this (not off all the way in another country) happens oftens. I hear of local senators and state reps buying college girls expenisve clothes and hooking up with them. I think what is ***** is that with clinton, that was the worst thing ever and he was a disgrace to america in the eyes of repubs. When Vitter had his little run with it, it was okay since he sincerely apoligized. :roll: The main thing idiots need to realize is that the people lying, cheating, and playing the pity game are the same ones running this country. How can you trust these people running the country, when they cant even run their own lives.
You Can't Take It With You When You Go
- Allman Brothers

ph4ever
Last Man Standing
Posts: 50491
Joined: July 31, 2002 1:26 pm
Favorite Buffett Song: CILCIA or OPH
Number of Concerts: 299
Favorite Boat Drink: Rhum with my Chum or beer
Location: Home in the GREAT state of Texas!

Re: Should he resign???

Post by ph4ever »

Whodat81 wrote:Forget Republican/democrat parties and realize that this (not off all the way in another country) happens oftens. I hear of local senators and state reps buying college girls expenisve clothes and hooking up with them. I think what is ***** is that with clinton, that was the worst thing ever and he was a disgrace to america in the eyes of repubs. When Vitter had his little run with it, it was okay since he sincerely apoligized. :roll: The main thing idiots need to realize is that the people lying, cheating, and playing the pity game are the same ones running this country. How can you trust these people running the country, when they cant even run their own lives.
There's no denying politicians have affairs and have had affairs throughout history. Some presidents who were considered really good presidents have had affairs, JFK, FDR, Eisenhower come immediately to mind. Just because someone can't keep their pecker in their pants doesn't mean they don't have the savy to be a good politician.
Well...(said in my best Bubba voice) I've been on sabbatical.

Whodat81
I have found me a home
Posts: 164
Joined: May 8, 2008 9:47 am
Favorite Buffett Song: Tin Cup Chalice
Number of Concerts: 8
Favorite Boat Drink: Bloody Mary
Location: Sportsman's Paradise

Re: Should he resign???

Post by Whodat81 »

ph4ever wrote:There's no denying politicians have affairs and have had affairs throughout history. Some presidents who were considered really good presidents have had affairs, JFK, FDR, Eisenhower come immediately to mind. Just because someone can't keep their pecker in their pants doesn't mean they don't have the savy to be a good politician.
Agreed, but when you use it for political advantage and play the Christian card over and over in elections it becomes a laughing joke.
You Can't Take It With You When You Go
- Allman Brothers

surfpirate
Here We Are
Posts: 9701
Joined: April 27, 2001 8:00 pm
Favorite Buffett Song: African Friend
Number of Concerts: 98
Location: OBX (Oh how I wish ..... maybe next month)
Contact:

Re: Should he resign???

Post by surfpirate »

So you need a pecker in your pants to be a politician? Good or bad? How come female politicians never seem to get involved in juicy sex scandals anyway? Are they just more discreet?
Image
"There are no stupid questions. But there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots."
BNCRITTERS.COM | TWITTER | FACEBOOK | SURF SHOP |

green1
Hoot!
Posts: 2439
Joined: March 13, 2006 2:49 pm

Re: Should he resign???

Post by green1 »

ejr wrote:Yes, I think he should resign, but not because of the affair.

When the governor of a state disappears for several days, with, it seems nobody knowing where he is, and with his staff seemingly misled about where he is, that is totally irresponsible to his state, his constituency, and to anyone who cares about him, including his family.
Exactly. Well put.

flyboy55
I Love the Now!
Posts: 1788
Joined: August 29, 2005 11:05 pm
Number of Concerts: 3
Location: On the Road . . .

Re: Should he resign???

Post by flyboy55 »

ph4ever wrote:I'm sure by now the majority of us have heard about Governor Mark Sanford being "missing". Forget the letter behind his name - should he resign as governor?

I've been on the fence regarding this. On one hand I feel the fact he had an affair really shouldn't be the reason for his resignation except for the fact of his past uber conservative views towards other politicians who had affairs including backing impeachment articles against Clinton because of his affair. Then on the other hand there's a certain amount of uncertanity if his staff even knew his whereabouts - which IMHO is a big huge nono. After all he is the governor and there could have been some sort of crisis while he was away in Argentina.

So I'm curious on 2 things.

#1- is it possible that we can discuss this while remaining civil?
#2- what are your views?
#1 - it is possible

#2 - I think there are a number of ways of looking at this.

If no laws are broken, are the misdeeds of politicians in their private lives grounds for wanting them out of office? Perhaps. While politicians are as prone to making mistakes as anyone else and could be forgiven for transgressions in their private lives, people in leadership positions should be able to command our respect. But I'm getting tired of the 'witch hunt' atmosphere around political figures which leads to (and I say this carefully) relatively common events (cheating spouses, marriage breakup and divorce) being turned into crimes of the century. I'm more bothered by politicians in high office who break the law, subvert the Constitution, etc., and less bothered by politicians whose marriages end up on the rocks for one reason or another.

On the other hand, if Governor Sanford was truly AWOL and his staff didn't know his whereabouts for days on end (this should be established by an investigation with folks put under oath) this is a serious matter. It demonstrates some instability which may make him unsuitable for the office of Governor.

I don't think anyone should look at this and say "no big deal let's move on".

I can acknowledge that he's human and therefore liable to make mistakes, but I don't have to respect the fact that he cheated on his wife and probably qualifies as a world class hypocrite.

Skibo
Hoot!
Posts: 2592
Joined: July 3, 2006 6:14 pm

Re: Should he resign???

Post by Skibo »

flyboy55 wrote: I can acknowledge that he's human and therefore liable to make mistakes, but I don't have to respect the fact that he cheated on his wife and probably qualifies as a world class hypocrite.
I think he has now set the standard based on his demands that democrats with similar issues resign in the past.
Rub yours on me and I'll rub mine on you

ph4ever
Last Man Standing
Posts: 50491
Joined: July 31, 2002 1:26 pm
Favorite Buffett Song: CILCIA or OPH
Number of Concerts: 299
Favorite Boat Drink: Rhum with my Chum or beer
Location: Home in the GREAT state of Texas!

Re: Should he resign???

Post by ph4ever »

Whodat81 wrote:
ph4ever wrote:There's no denying politicians have affairs and have had affairs throughout history. Some presidents who were considered really good presidents have had affairs, JFK, FDR, Eisenhower come immediately to mind. Just because someone can't keep their pecker in their pants doesn't mean they don't have the savy to be a good politician.
Agreed, but when you use it for political advantage and play the Christian card over and over in elections it becomes a laughing joke.

Agreed!!! That another reason I can see for him stepping down
Well...(said in my best Bubba voice) I've been on sabbatical.

UAHparrothead
Party at the End of the World
Posts: 8973
Joined: April 23, 2003 1:48 pm
Number of Concerts: 3
Location: Standing at the fine line between Saturday night and Sunday morning.
Contact:

Re: Should he resign???

Post by UAHparrothead »

flyboy55 wrote: I can acknowledge that he's human and therefore liable to make mistakes, but I don't have to respect the fact that he cheated on his wife and probably qualifies as a world class hypocrite.
I think Jon Stewart said it best "He's just another politician with a conservative mind and a liberal penis."

ph4ever
Last Man Standing
Posts: 50491
Joined: July 31, 2002 1:26 pm
Favorite Buffett Song: CILCIA or OPH
Number of Concerts: 299
Favorite Boat Drink: Rhum with my Chum or beer
Location: Home in the GREAT state of Texas!

Re: Should he resign???

Post by ph4ever »

surfpirate wrote:So you need a pecker in your pants to be a politician? Good or bad? How come female politicians never seem to get involved in juicy sex scandals anyway? Are they just more discreet?
Possibly they are more discreet and possibly they have so much against them in the first place by the very fact they are women they tend to be more focused towards the goal? After all politics in some areas is still very much the boys club.
Well...(said in my best Bubba voice) I've been on sabbatical.

Bicycle Bill
At the Bama Breeze
Posts: 4648
Joined: February 1, 2009 2:28 am
Favorite Buffett Song: He Went to Paris
Number of Concerts: 1
Favorite Boat Drink: Anything with rum and pineapple juice!
Location: La Crosse (actually Onalaska) WI

Re: Should he resign???

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Don't cry for me, South Carolina;
The truth is I wasn't hiking,
In Appalachia,
Or doing writing.
No, I was humping,
In Argentina.

(© 2009 by 'Denis'; used w/o permission but with utmost appreciation)

And it's entering popular culture even as we post. "Hiking the (Appalachian) Trail" is already being used on some blogs, etc. to mean "doing the nasty".
Image
-"BB"-
"I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead."
"Some of it's magic, and some of it's tragic, but I've had a good life all the way."

East Texas Parrothead
Last Man Standing
Posts: 35356
Joined: April 4, 2002 7:00 pm
Favorite Buffett Song: Tonight I Just Need My Guitar *and* Southern Cross
Number of Concerts: 40
Favorite Boat Drink: Mojito
Location: In the newsroom
Contact:

Re: Should he resign???

Post by East Texas Parrothead »

I don't give a flying flip where he's putting his dipstick, but if he was truly MIA ... and did not transfer power to the Lt. Gov., he should go.

He was the head of his state government ... it's his duty to "be in the bubble" ... and when he needs time off, there is protocol in place to ensure the government runs smoothly.

Somewhere yesterday I heard he had pulled something like this before and had to be called back when wildfires broke out. At least, that time, they could get him on his cell phone.

OTOH ... he better be glad he's not married to Anita Perry ... she'd have his jewels on a platter, the Texas Rangers would fry them up and serve them to Kay Bailey's campaign staff with sauce from the Salt Lick.
Gentilly ... 42 years is a long time to wait .... a Northeast Texas woman can hope.
My love is an anchor tied to you, tied with a silver chain.

East Texas Parrothead
Last Man Standing
Posts: 35356
Joined: April 4, 2002 7:00 pm
Favorite Buffett Song: Tonight I Just Need My Guitar *and* Southern Cross
Number of Concerts: 40
Favorite Boat Drink: Mojito
Location: In the newsroom
Contact:

Re: Should he resign???

Post by East Texas Parrothead »

surfpirate wrote:So you need a pecker in your pants to be a politician? Good or bad? How come female politicians never seem to get involved in juicy sex scandals anyway? Are they just more discreet?
You answered your own question. They don't have a penis. They can focus without the testosterone distraction.
Gentilly ... 42 years is a long time to wait .... a Northeast Texas woman can hope.
My love is an anchor tied to you, tied with a silver chain.

Post Reply