Boston policeman may be fired for racial slur

In this forum you can discuss anything from sports, news, or what ever is on your mind.

Moderators: SMLCHNG, Saltx3

Elrod
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 37

Re: Boston policeman may be fired for racial slur

Post by Elrod »

SchoolGirlHeart wrote:I'm astonished someone who is a Boston Police Officer and a Captain in the National Guard would think it was okay to generate and send such garbage.
It certainly gives some insight into why he is a former English teacher. :roll:

East Texas Parrothead
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: Tonight I Just Need My Guitar *and* Southern Cross
Number of Concerts: 40
Favorite Boat Drink: Mojito

Post by East Texas Parrothead »

MammaBear wrote:Let me ask this...did he use the Police dept computers or email addresses? Did he post the email on the wall of the police locker room? or in his patrol car? Did he ever imply that he was speaking on behalf of the Police dept? If so, then yes, the department has every right to take action.

I believe this guy is a racist; however, the first amendment kicks in here...I am not so sure he should loose his job. To say "this goes beyond the first amendment" is a bit of a strange statement...I did not realize the constitution outlines the parameters in which the "freedom of speech" must fall.

Bad judgement? yes.... Racist? yes...... A basis for being relieved of his gun and badge and face disciplinary action? not so sure......

Perhaps some of the law enforcement out there can shed some light...........
Barrett, a two-year veteran of the Boston police force and a member of the National Guard, sent an e-mail to the Boston Globe and fellow Guard members in response to a July 22 Globe column about Gates' controversial arrest earlier this month.

I can't think of an employer I've ever worked for that would tolerate behavior like this.
Gentilly ... 42 years is a long time to wait .... a Northeast Texas woman can hope.
My love is an anchor tied to you, tied with a silver chain.

rich_big
At the Bama Breeze
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by rich_big »

SchoolGirlHeart wrote:
Absolutely astonishing.... I'm not enough of a Pollyanna to think this doesn't go on but I'm astonished someone who is a Boston Police Officer and a Captain in the National Guard would think it was okay to generate and send such garbage. :-?

Wow, that is something. I think the boss at any company would have a problem with that email. Let alone a public office.

MammaBear
I Love the Now!

Post by MammaBear »

ejr wrote:
OK, 1/4th of it was about all I could stomach.

No way should an individual with those beliefs, and that temperment be carrying a gun and representing the law. He is entitled to his beliefs, but the city of Boston does not have to allow those beliefs on their payroll.
Now we are the "belief" police? And whose beliefs shall serve as the basis for the masses? And what...fill out a "belief" form when applying for a job? That is treading on some very thin ice in my opinion.

SchoolGirlHeart
Last Man Standing

Post by SchoolGirlHeart »

East Texas Parrothead wrote:
MammaBear wrote:Let me ask this...did he use the Police dept computers or email addresses? Did he post the email on the wall of the police locker room? or in his patrol car? Did he ever imply that he was speaking on behalf of the Police dept? If so, then yes, the department has every right to take action.

I believe this guy is a racist; however, the first amendment kicks in here...I am not so sure he should loose his job. To say "this goes beyond the first amendment" is a bit of a strange statement...I did not realize the constitution outlines the parameters in which the "freedom of speech" must fall.

Bad judgement? yes.... Racist? yes...... A basis for being relieved of his gun and badge and face disciplinary action? not so sure......

Barrett, a two-year veteran of the Boston police force and a member of the National Guard, sent an e-mail to the Boston Globe and fellow Guard members in response to a July 22 Globe column about Gates' controversial arrest earlier this month.

I can't think of an employer I've ever worked for that would tolerate behavior like this.
Members of the BPD also received the email. They reported it up their chain-of-command.
Carry on as you know they would want you to do. ~~JB, dedication to Tim Russert

Take your time
Find your passion
Life goes on until it ends
Don’t stop living
Until then

~~Mac McAnally

nutmeg
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: Barefoot Children (this week)
Number of Concerts: 10

Post by nutmeg »

Good Lord :o

I can't believe anyone would believe that they would not be fired from a serving the public position for sending such an e-mail to a newspaper of all things. It's not like he thought his views would be kept private :-? What an idiot.

That was a really tough read....

Oh, and I'm pretty sure it would be a firing offense at the company I worked for as well to send other employees a e-mail calling someone a racist name. I'll bet it's in the employee handbook.
Last edited by nutmeg on July 30, 2009 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Friends Walk Together in Life's Garden
ImageImageImage
http://heartofmichiganrescue.com/

East Texas Parrothead
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: Tonight I Just Need My Guitar *and* Southern Cross
Number of Concerts: 40
Favorite Boat Drink: Mojito

Post by East Texas Parrothead »

SchoolGirlHeart wrote:
East Texas Parrothead wrote:

Members of the BPD also received the email. They reported it up their chain-of-command.
Good for them.
Gentilly ... 42 years is a long time to wait .... a Northeast Texas woman can hope.
My love is an anchor tied to you, tied with a silver chain.

ejr
On a Salty Piece of Land

Post by ejr »

MammaBear wrote:
ejr wrote:

No way should an individual with those beliefs, and that temperment be carrying a gun and representing the law. He is entitled to his beliefs, but the city of Boston does not have to allow those beliefs on their payroll.
Now we are the "belief" police? And whose beliefs shall serve as the basis for the masses? And what...fill out a "belief" form when applying for a job? That is treading on some very thin ice in my opinion.
Not when you are in a position of representing and enforcing the law. Is someone with those beliefs really going to exercise sound judgment in evaluating a tense situation. Do you really want to trust someone with those beliefs to size up a situation and react appropriately without letting his beliefs influence his judgement?

And he was not asked his beliefs, nor did he choose to keep them to himself. He chose to voice them in strong language that I consider to be totally offensive.
"I finally know what Michael Jordan was talking about when he said he was 'in the zone'"
Jimmy Buffett, 9/4/05, Wrigley Field

SchoolGirlHeart
Last Man Standing

MammaBear wrote:
ejr wrote:

Beliefs can't be legislated, but actions can. His actions are unacceptable.

Take your time
Find your passion
Don’t stop living
Until then

~~Mac McAnally

SchoolGirlHeart
Last Man Standing

As far as beliefs vs actions goes, people can believe whatever they want. But they can't apply those beliefs in certain situations (including public positions such as law enforcement or military) where they run contra to acceptable standards of behavior for those organizations. I once worked for a Marine Colonel who I would have followed anywhere, in any situation (and I don't need both hands to count the number of leaders I feel that way about in 30+ years of service). In conversation he would calmly say he thought society was better off if women stayed home with the kids (mind you, this was years ago. Today he couldn't even voice that opinion). But in practice, he was *scrupulously* fair in how he treated his people, with no difference between races or genders. His opinions did not affect his actions. Very tough thing to do, but he pulled it off. If this officer had kept his racist opinions to himself, he would not be in peril of losing two careers. I'm glad he made the mistake of revealing his true nature, though. I don't want a cop like this on the force.

Take your time
Find your passion
Don’t stop living
Until then

~~Mac McAnally

ejr
On a Salty Piece of Land

Post by ejr »

SchoolGirlHeart wrote:As far as beliefs vs actions goes, people can believe whatever they want. But they can't apply those beliefs in certain situations (including public positions such as law enforcement or military) where they run contra to acceptable standards of behavior for those organizations. I once worked for a Marine Colonel who I would have followed anywhere, in any situation (and I don't need both hands to count the number of leaders I feel that way about in 30+ years of service). In conversation he would calmly say he thought society was better off if women stayed home with the kids (mind you, this was years ago. Today he couldn't even voice that opinion). But in practice, he was *scrupulously* fair in how he treated his people, with no difference between races or genders. His opinions did not affect his actions. Very tough thing to do, but he pulled it off. If this officer had kept his racist opinions to himself, he would not be in peril of losing two careers. I'm glad he made the mistake of revealing his true nature, though. I don't want a cop like this on the force.

well said, Jen!
"I finally know what Michael Jordan was talking about when he said he was 'in the zone'"
Jimmy Buffett, 9/4/05, Wrigley Field

tikitatas
Last Man Standing

Post by tikitatas »

Despicable in every way.
Cate

"When you realize how perfect everything is you will tilt your head back and laugh at the sky." ~ Buddha

flipflopgirl
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 53
Favorite Boat Drink: Z-Man's MANGO THINGIES!!!!!
Location: I have been promoted from John Frinzi's stalker to ROADIE!!!! :)

Post by flipflopgirl »

:roll: :evil: :-? A$$HAT!!!!! :-?
Image "While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats." Mark Twain

C-Dawg
On a Salty Piece of Land
Favorite Buffett Song: The list is long...
Favorite Boat Drink: my next one....this one's empty

Post by C-Dawg »

flipflopgirl wrote::roll: :evil: :-? A$$HAT!!!!! :-?
no, I think this guy is more than that...he's a Fuctard!!!!
ImageImage

pair8head
God's Own Drunk
Number of Concerts: 300
Location: I'm not in the middle of nowhere but, you can see it from here.

Post by pair8head »

The man (in my opinion) is a MORON and deserves everything he gets.
SAVE THE EARTH
It's the only Planet that has chocolate.

green1
Hoot!

Post by green1 »

SchoolGirlHeart wrote:
C-Dawg wrote:Despite the officer saying he isn't...he is a racist bigot and should be fired.
Agree. 100% People who are not racists or bigots do not use words like that.

wSGHs

Skibo
Hoot!

Post by Skibo »

I thought he was fired and am disappointed that he still holds a badge. I would prefer that he not be removed because of his beliefs, but because he is no longer capable of maintaining the peace. He will find it very difficult to enter a black neighborhood without problems. Personally I don't want these type of people to be afraid to reveal themselves to the public. I'd rather know who the haters are than force them underground.
Rub yours on me and I'll rub mine on you

flyboy55
I Love the Now!
Number of Concerts: 3

Post by flyboy55 »

MammaBear wrote: . . .

The Remittance Man wrote:The First Amendment bars the government from curtailing free speech. It does not apply to one's employer, so if the guy's comments reflect badly upon the BPD, I think it's valid and appropriate for them to fire him.
As far as dismissal is a legal avenue for employers to take when an employee performs a public act that reflects badly on the employer (in this case the BPD and the Guard) I think this response nails it. This guy is free to spout his views in a bar or on a street corner (First Amendment) and now he'll have plenty of free time in which to do it.

green1
Hoot!

Post by green1 »

MammaBear wrote: . . . I believe this guy is a racist; however, the first amendment kicks in here...I am not so sure he should loose his job. To say "this goes beyond the first amendment" is a bit of a strange statement...I did not realize the constitution outlines the parameters in which the "freedom of speech" must fall.
I was always under the impression that the 1st amendment did in fact contain parameters. I was always taught, going back to grade school, that you cannot yell "Fire" in a crowded movie theatre. That this is an example of what is not covered by the 1st amendment.

Regardless of that. A freedom, any freedom, has a corollary of responsibility. You can say what you want, you just need to accept the responsibility for it. If you want to yell fire in a movie theatre, go right ahead, but if anyone gets hurt it is on your shoulders. Likewise, this jackass, has the right to say anything, including this manure. But he must accept the result of his statement.

citcat
On a Salty Piece of Land
Favorite Buffett Song: Pirate Looks at 40
Favorite Boat Drink: margarita

Post by citcat »

He must be mentally-impaired insane to send an email like that. Unbelievable.
Good grief. :x
Do not resent growing old. Many are denied the privilege.