Cash for clunkers...

In this forum you can discuss anything from sports, news, or what ever is on your mind.

Moderators: SMLCHNG, Saltx3

Bubbaphan
License to Chill
Favorite Buffett Song: Tryin' to reason with the hurricane season.
Number of Concerts: 5
Favorite Boat Drink: MMMMM..Beer. Wait, is that really a boat drink?

Cash for clunkers...

Post by Bubbaphan »

Anyone done this?
I would be stylin' around in a new ride right now, but my 1998 Dodge Neon with 110,000 miles and a beat up left fender DOESN'T QUALIFY AS A CLUNKER!! WTF? Oh right, it gets (according to the EPA) 24 mpg, and it needs to get 18 mpg to qualify. :roll: :roll: :roll: :pirate:
I'm a one-man band with no
Immediate plans...

oceanstate
I need two more boat drinks
Favorite Buffett Song: Trip Around the Sun
Number of Concerts: 15

Re: Cash for clunkers...

Post by oceanstate »

I have this feeling that someone is going to start digging and find out that the first 200K cars that were traded in didn't all meet the criteria.

chippewa
On a Salty Piece of Land

Post by chippewa »

Our 2002 Jeep Liberty does qualify, and after I washed it last weekend it looks like I just drove it off the lot. :lol:
75,000 miles, runs perfectly and in excellent condition, but since it gets such low mileage it's a "clunker" :roll:

Bicycle Bill
At the Bama Breeze
Favorite Buffett Song: He Went to Paris
Number of Concerts: 1
Favorite Boat Drink: Anything with rum and pineapple juice!

Post by Bicycle Bill »

I agree. Age and condition should be the factor, not what the gov't says is a used car's mpg rating. I also wonder how many of the new cars purchased under the program were imports.....

Seriously, they should call this program "BOHICA" (for "Bend Over, Here It Comes Again").

If you sit back and take a cold hard look at things, this "cash for clunkers" program is nothing more than another gov't bailout for the new car manufacturers. And if you remove 200K or more used cars from the roads — vehicles turned in under this program are supposed to be crushed/shredded/scrapped, remember? — and replace them with new, it's also going to raise the prices of remaining used cars. Dealerships win twice, and taxpayers take it in the shorts once again.
-"BB"-
"I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead."
"Some of it's magic, and some of it's tragic, but I've had a good life all the way."

Skibo
Hoot!

Post by Skibo »

i heard this morning that it was suspended. They are trying to push additional funds through. I don't see this as an American car bailout since you may purchase imports on this program. None of my vehicles are worth less than $4500 so even the ones that qualify are worth more as trade ins than as government subsidized trades. I wouldn't scoff at the program as much if it was required to purchase a US manufactured car. I do look forward to the reports of car dealers going out of business in 3 months because they were never reimbursed for the rebates.
Rub yours on me and I'll rub mine on you

blackjack
At the Bama Breeze
Favorite Buffett Song: One Particular Harbor or Little Miss Magic
Number of Concerts: 17
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum Runner

Post by blackjack »

If you think this is a "clusterf#@#!" much like the bank bailouts, wait till you see "Universal Healthcare"!

This administration sure likes to shoot first and ask questions later. (Not saying the previous administration was any better or worse.) But I would appreciate some more thought going into these massive efforts that are going to end up raising my taxes.

STL PARROTHEAD
Chewin' on a Honeysuckle Vine
Favorite Buffett Song: OPH
Location: packing up 'Louie's Backyard' and heading to a concert near you!

Post by STL PARROTHEAD »

Skibo wrote:i heard this morning that it was suspended. They are trying to push additional funds through. I don't see this as an American car bailout since you may purchase imports on this program. None of my vehicles are worth less than $4500 so even the ones that qualify are worth more as trade ins than as government subsidized trades. I wouldn't scoff at the program as much if it was required to purchase a US manufactured car. I do look forward to the reports of car dealers going out of business in 3 months because they were never reimbursed for the rebates.
I think they suspended it last week, and reinstated it.. :-? My inlaws traded in their car, and by the time they got home with their new car, they announced on the news that it was suspended (quite funny because they acted like a tornado was coming when the announced it :lol: ) Then by the weekend they said it was reinstated..what, they found some more money laying around????

I agree with the fact that these poor car dealers have to put up with it.... I've seen a few around here that just can't seem to get reimbursed. :evil:
ImageImage

oceanstate

Post by oceanstate »

blackjack wrote:If you think this is a "clusterf#@#!" much like the bank bailouts, wait till you see "Universal Healthcare"!

This administration sure likes to shoot first and ask questions later. (Not saying the previous administration was any better or worse.) But I would appreciate some more thought going into these massive efforts that are going to end up raising my taxes.
You kind of have to enjoy watching the folks in the Congress and Senate trying to explain why they don't think it's particularly important to read a bill before voting for or against it.

Wino you know
God's Own Drunk
Favorite Buffett Song: Far Side of the World & Somewhere Over China
Number of Concerts: 105
Favorite Boat Drink: Beaujalais Villages French Burgundy

Post by Wino you know »

oceanstate wrote:You kind of have to enjoy watching the folks in the Congress and Senate trying to explain why they don't think it's particularly important to read a bill before voting for or against it.
It's because they're a bunch of self-serving, sanctimonious, elitist f'ing IDIOTS with a bunch of lemmings for constituents that keeps electing these morons time after time after time after time after time after time after time after time after time.

I love America, but HOW ignorant, gullible, and naive does a person have to be to elect baffoons like Red Ted Kennedy, Barney "My Boy Lollipop" Frank, Chuck U. Schumer, Chris Dodd, Nancy "Nurse Rachett" Pelosi, Bra Bra Boxer, et. al.?

MY two "clunkers" aren't going ANYWHERE. (Especially my Jeep Grand Cherokee). I don't think my Mercury Sable qualifies anyway, since it gets 22 M.P.G.
And my Chevy Tahoe that I drive at work ABSOLUTELY isn't going anywhere.

As far as I'm concerned, this session of congress can shove it where the sun doesn't shine and their mothers don't wash.

oceanstate

Post by oceanstate »

Wino you know wrote:
oceanstate wrote:You kind of have to enjoy watching the folks in the Congress and Senate trying to explain why they don't think it's particularly important to read a bill before voting for or against it.
It's because they're a bunch of self-serving, sanctimonious, elitist f'ing IDIOTS with a bunch of lemmings for constituents that keeps electing these morons time after time after time after time after time after time after time after time after time.

I love America, but HOW ignorant, gullible, and naive does a person have to be to elect baffoons like Red Ted Kennedy, Barney "My Boy Lollipop" Frank, Chuck U. Schumer, Chris Dodd, Nancy "Nurse Rachett" Pelosi, Bra Bra Boxer, et. al.?

MY two "clunkers" aren't going ANYWHERE. (Especially my Jeep Grand Cherokee). I don't think my Mercury Sable qualifies anyway, since it gets 22 M.P.G.

As far as I'm concerned, this session of congress can shove it where the sun doesn't shine and their mothers don't wash.
Feel strongly about it?

Crazy Navy Flyer
On a Salty Piece of Land
Number of Concerts: 100
Favorite Boat Drink: rum

Post by Crazy Navy Flyer »

Wino you know wrote:

Amen!

I just can't wait until they manage my healthcare. Bunch of idiots led by fools.
Back to livin' Floridays

Sidew13
God's Own Drunk
Favorite Buffett Song: Anything to put me in a Tropical frame of mind
Number of Concerts: 6
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum and Rum and oh YES RUM

Post by Sidew13 »

2002 Dodge Intrepid 2.7L V6 does NOT quailfy
2006 Isuzu i-280 truck 4 cyl. DOES quailfy
?????????????????????????????????????????
Trying to Take Another Road

Image Image

Wino you know
God's Own Drunk
Favorite Buffett Song: Far Side of the World & Somewhere Over China
Number of Concerts: 105
Favorite Boat Drink: Beaujalais Villages French Burgundy

Post by Wino you know »

oceanstate wrote:
Wino you know wrote:

Feel strongly about it?
Yeah, you know?
Although the "cash for clunkers" hoax is nothing more than the government going into the used car business (like they want to do with health care and how they've alread done with AmTrak), I'm not REAL concerned about it, because I have no intention of participating, but if it's like anything else the govenment gets their hands on, it'll only be a matter of minutes before it turns to crap.
And everyone knows the real goal of "cash for clunkers", in addition to the government going into the used car business, as I've stated above, is to also attempt to get S.U.V.s off the road.
Let's come back in a year and see how THAT works out for those inept jerk-offs.

The Lost Manatee
I Love the Now!
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by The Lost Manatee »

We must be reading about different programs because the reason it was suspended was that it was so popular that it ran out of money. According to Ford Motor Company, you know the one that didn't go bankrupt and didn't take Federal Bailout money, there has been a definite upsurge in sales, moving a lot of cars that had been sitting on the lot and even prompting a number of orders for new cars. Sure, it's a subsidy for the car companies but it is doing something positive rather then letting them die on the vine and costing more Americans, more jobs.
Captain Jack's Bar & Grill, Home to the Lost Manatee.

Livin' and dyin' in 3/4 time.

TheSecretsInTheCrust
Party at the End of the World
Favorite Buffett Song: California Promises
Number of Concerts: 30
Favorite Boat Drink: Captain & Coke

Post by TheSecretsInTheCrust »

Bicycle Bill wrote:I agree. Age and condition should be the factor, not what the gov't says is a used car's mpg rating. I also wonder how many of the new cars purchased under the program were imports.....

Seriously, they should call this program "BOHICA" (for "Bend Over, Here It Comes Again").

If you sit back and take a cold hard look at things, this "cash for clunkers" program is nothing more than another gov't bailout for the new car manufacturers. And if you remove 200K or more used cars from the roads — vehicles turned in under this program are supposed to be crushed/shredded/scrapped, remember? — and replace them with new, it's also going to raise the prices of remaining used cars. Dealerships win twice, and taxpayers take it in the shorts once again.
-"BB"-
and one has to wonder how many defaulted auto loans are on the horizon?
Find Yourself A Lover Who Will Glue You To The Floor

inked-parrotthead
Gypsies in the palace
Favorite Buffett Song: Breathe in Breathe out,move on
Number of Concerts: 25
Favorite Boat Drink: Iron city beer

Post by inked-parrotthead »

Im not sure I get this idea,some of those clunkers looked like decent rides...and I bet lottsa folks without wheels would agree.All those cars being melted down ,stripped,parted out and disposed of,are there no enviromental concerns there?All that money being paid out,the gov. could have kept alot of familys outa foreclosure,and economic strife with that money!!
sqeeze my lime

land_shark3
Here We Are
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by land_shark3 »

One thing no one has mentioned, is that there is no government program called "cash for clunkers". It was the dealerships that decided to call the cars clunkers. The actual program is the "Car Allowance Rebates System". It has nothing to do with how old your car is or what condition it is in. The program is based solely on the MPG of your current vehicle versus the MPG of a new vehicle. You cannot turn in a 1985 Honda Civic and get $4500 back on a new SUV because the fuel mileage doesn't work.
CARS website wrote:The CAR Allowance Rebate System (CARS) is a $1 billion government program that helps consumers buy or lease a more environmentally-friendly vehicle from a participating dealer when they trade in a less fuel-efficient car or truck.
The dealerships have twisted their marketing to make people think this is about getting people in a new car. The actual program is about getting more people in fuel efficient vehicles. And no, I'm not a tree-hugger; I drive an Excursion that sucks down gas faster than I can refuel. :pirate:

The vehicles that are traded in under this program are supposed to be scrapped. So if your vehicle is worth more than the rebate, it would not make sense to even consider the program.

What bothers me about this program is the financial irresponsibility that it promotes. If someone is driving around a 25 year old car (the max age limit on the plan), they probably cannot afford a new car. Now they are being lured into to scrapping their (hopefully) paid off car in exchange for car payments. Personally, I think they should make it as difficult as possible to qualify for lending with this program.
It's your world, I'm just living in it! :pirate:

weirdo0521
Hoot!
Number of Concerts: 50

Post by weirdo0521 »

land_shark3 wrote:One thing no one has mentioned, is that there is no government program called "cash for clunkers". It was the dealerships that decided to call the cars clunkers. The actual program is the "Car Allowance Rebates System". It has nothing to do with how old your car is or what condition it is in. The program is based solely on the MPG of your current vehicle versus the MPG of a new vehicle. You cannot turn in a 1985 Honda Civic and get $4500 back on a new SUV because the fuel mileage doesn't work.
CARS website wrote:The CAR Allowance Rebate System (CARS) is a $1 billion government program that helps consumers buy or lease a more environmentally-friendly vehicle from a participating dealer when they trade in a less fuel-efficient car or truck.
The dealerships have twisted their marketing to make people think this is about getting people in a new car. The actual program is about getting more people in fuel efficient vehicles. And no, I'm not a tree-hugger; I drive an Excursion that sucks down gas faster than I can refuel. :pirate:

The vehicles that are traded in under this program are supposed to be scrapped. So if your vehicle is worth more than the rebate, it would not make sense to even consider the program.

What bothers me about this program is the financial irresponsibility that it promotes. If someone is driving around a 25 year old car (the max age limit on the plan), they probably cannot afford a new car. Now they are being lured into to scrapping their (hopefully) paid off car in exchange for car payments. Personally, I think they should make it as difficult as possible to qualify for lending with this program.
A buyer still has to qualify for financing just like they would on any car purchase. The government has nothing to do with the credit arm of this. Why should it be any tougher to qualify for lending when buying a car with the government rebate. I know two people who bought cars using the program so far. Both had cars in the 10-15 year old range. Their cars were paid off, they could afford a new car but had no real reason to go out and get a new car. The opportunity to get $3500-$4500 off sticker price was a reason for them to walk into a dealership. One of them ended up paying less than 15k on a car that had a sticker of over 23k because of the rebate and other incentives offered by the dealer and manufacturer.

I am all for free trade, but I would like a stipulation of a larger rebate on cars made in the U.S. So far the biggest problem with this program is that it is more successful than the government thought it would be.
Dawn Beach, St. Maarten
http://www.LPRFC.com

pair8head
God's Own Drunk
Number of Concerts: 300
Location: I'm not in the middle of nowhere but, you can see it from here.

Post by pair8head »

weirdo0521 wrote: I am all for free trade, but I would like a stipulation of a larger rebate on cars made in the U.S. So far the biggest problem with this program is that it is more successful than the government thought it would be.
I know that someone is going to slam me for this but just exactly what is a "Made in the U.S." car?

You have Honda cars that are built in America and Fords built in Canada, etc.
Most autos built in the US are built with parts manufactured in other parts of the world.
Years back I bought "American" only to find out the the Engine and Drive train of my Pontiac was built in Brazil.

I'm all for buy American. I just need some help identifying it.
SAVE THE EARTH
It's the only Planet that has chocolate.

weirdo0521
Hoot!
Number of Concerts: 50

Post by weirdo0521 »

pair8head wrote:
weirdo0521 wrote: I am all for free trade, but I would like a stipulation of a larger rebate on cars made in the U.S. So far the biggest problem with this program is that it is more successful than the government thought it would be.
I know that someone is going to slam me for this but just exactly what is a "Made in the U.S." car?

You have Honda cars that are built in America and Fords built in Canada, etc.
Most autos built in the US are built with parts manufactured in other parts of the world.
Years back I bought "American" only to find out the the Engine and Drive train of my Pontiac was built in Brazil.

I'm all for buy American. I just need some help identifying it.
I'm speaking of the cars that are made here. If it's a Toyota made in Kentucky, great. If it's a Ford made in Mexico or Canada not as much of a rebate.
Dawn Beach, St. Maarten
http://www.LPRFC.com