Sick days...

In this forum you can discuss anything from sports, news, or what ever is on your mind.

Moderators: SMLCHNG, Saltx3

pair8head
God's Own Drunk
Number of Concerts: 300
Location: I'm not in the middle of nowhere but, you can see it from here.

Sick days...

Post by pair8head »

Do you use em when you are sick?

I am so pizzed off at a guy here at work I can hardly stand still.
This clown left her yesterday burning up. He started with fever and chills at lunch
and refused to go to medical or go home. He left at his regular time sick as a freaking dog.
Here he is this morning like nothing is wrong. I know he's still sick, He knows he's still sick
and I am sure that management knows he's still sick and yet the motherfarker is still coming
into work.

If I get sick I stay home so as to get better and NOT get anyone else sick.

So help me God if this motherfarker has H1N1 and I catch it because he's too freaking important to
this company to take a day off I am suing the hell out of him, the company and the freaking union.
Did I mention he's my union steward?
SAVE THE EARTH
It's the only Planet that has chocolate.

citcat
On a Salty Piece of Land
Favorite Buffett Song: Pirate Looks at 40
Number of Concerts: 10
Favorite Boat Drink: margarita

Re: Sick days...

Post by citcat »

So....I'm taking a wild guess and saying you don't LIKE this situation ? :lol:

That's very very selfish of him...he should at LEAST be wearing a mask. :evil:
Do not resent growing old. Many are denied the privilege.

pair8head
God's Own Drunk

Post by pair8head »

citcat wrote:So....I'm taking a wild guess and saying you don't LIKE this situation ? :lol:

That's very very selfish of him...he should at LEAST be wearing a mask. :evil:
He works mainly in the area that I have been on loan to. I stopped what I was doing
and left the area. I'm not going back until he's either gone or fully healthy again.
SAVE THE EARTH

chippewa
On a Salty Piece of Land

Post by chippewa »

A big pet peeve of mine......if you're sick, STAY HOME!

Don't act like a hero and tell everybody you never use sick days. If you absolutely have things that need to be done, go in at 4 a.m. and wrap it up before people start coming in. Or pick up your work early and take it home. But you know what? If it doesn't get done, the world isn't gonna stop spinning.

TropicalTroubador
Hoot!
Number of Concerts: 10
Favorite Boat Drink: The one in front of me.

Post by TropicalTroubador »

If I'm sick, I use sick days.

Once in a great while, if I'm just feeling the need for some personal space, I use a sick day, aka a "Mental Health Day." But I try to be gentle with this.

Then again, I am fortunate enough to *have* a good sick leave policy at my employer. Not all people are that fortunate. Until you've walked in the shoes of someone who fears being fired for taking a day off, even if they're sicker than Typhoid Mary...don't be so quick to criticize. These days, being fired not only means losing one's sole source of income (most of the time), but losing health benefits, possibly losing one's home, and possibly not finding a *new* source of income for one to two years. Those of us over fifty might *never* be able to get hired again at anything above burger-flipper wages, due to the age discrimination that everybody says never happens. :/

OTOH, if pair8head's company has a union, it's a safe bet that the shop steward can take sick days and it won't affect his ability to keep his job.
Living my life on Island Standard Time...
Island Standard Time - the new Trop Rock album from Loren Davidson - now available!

http://www.lorendavidson.com

pair8head
God's Own Drunk

Post by pair8head »

TropicalTroubador wrote:If I'm sick, I use sick days.

Once in a great while, if I'm just feeling the need for some personal space, I use a sick day, aka a "Mental Health Day." But I try to be gentle with this.

Then again, I am fortunate enough to *have* a good sick leave policy at my employer. Not all people are that fortunate. Until you've walked in the shoes of someone who fears being fired for taking a day off, even if they're sicker than Typhoid Mary...don't be so quick to criticize. These days, being fired not only means losing one's sole source of income (most of the time), but losing health benefits, possibly losing one's home, and possibly not finding a *new* source of income for one to two years. Those of us over fifty might *never* be able to get hired again at anything above burger-flipper wages, due to the age discrimination that everybody says never happens. :/

OTOH, if pair8head's company has a union, it's a safe bet that the shop steward can take sick days and it won't affect his ability to keep his job.
BINGO The company actually want's you to go home if you are sick. I went over to medical last month and complained of a fever and the next thing I knew they had my butt on a gurney and were checking me out for dang near everything. Then then sent me home and told me to go see my doctor and that I wouldn't be allowed back to work without a note from him.

I asked the RN why so drastic and she told me that as soon as I said the word "fever" they had no choice but to follow the
procedure they had been handed earlier in the year. This company is way way way afraid of the swine flu.

I informed my Boss that I would seek legal recourse if I came down with H1N1 thru this person and he said he didn't think
the guy was infectious. I told him that if he ran a fever yesterday then he damn sure was too infectious. At least that's how the company sees it.
SAVE THE EARTH

RinglingRingling
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: Glory Days
Number of Concerts: 0
Favorite Boat Drink: Landshark, and Margaritaville products...

Post by RinglingRingling »

the company I work for originally had sick leave and the idea was, "we would rather you went home and stayed home rather than infect the other agents". Three years ago, it was determined that sick leave was too expensive, so what was regular vacation time, and up to 6 days worth of sick time per year, was cut to personal leave days, and unpaid sick leave.

I am usually pretty lucky in that I don't get sick, but there are a lot of folks who come in to work at death's door because some MBA in HR thought that the cost of sick leave outweighed the cost of losing half a call-center for a few days during a flu outbreak.

ejr
On a Salty Piece of Land

Post by ejr »

I had not used any at this job until my accident (then used more than I had). Then, two weeks ago, I was out with the swine flu. Because I am at a school, we are pretty insistent that if you have a fever, you cannot be in the building.
"I finally know what Michael Jordan was talking about when he said he was 'in the zone'"
Jimmy Buffett, 9/4/05, Wrigley Field

SchoolGirlHeart
Last Man Standing

Post by SchoolGirlHeart »

Don, SHAME on management for not requiring him to leave the workplace until he was well. That's just wrong.... And it's not just the rest of you but your families, too. How many have family with compromised immune systems, asthma, etc? I think if I were you I'd put my objections in writing so you have a leg to stand on if you do get sick because of that yahoo...... :-?

I have had coworkers who come in sick because they save their sick leave for when their kids are sick. Makes me SO angry.... I don't stay home for every little sniffle, but a fever - especially this year - means STAY HOME.

Once in a great while I take a mental health day but I play by the rules - if I call in sick, I stay at home. A quick way to get in really hot water where I work is to take a sick day and use it for something other than being home sick...
Carry on as you know they would want you to do. ~~JB, dedication to Tim Russert

Take your time
Find your passion
Life goes on until it ends
Don’t stop living
Until then

~~Mac McAnally

sonofabeach
Party at the End of the World
Favorite Buffett Song: La Vie Dansante
Number of Concerts: 15
Favorite Boat Drink: Tecate

Post by sonofabeach »

I use my vacation and sick days like it aint no thing. Heck I'm looking for a reason to go home.
I work with a couple of people that are so proud that they have loads of hours.
Unfortunately they also have no life.
On the other hand I work with a few that use their hours as soon as they get them on the book.
"It's crazy and it's different, but it's really bein' free"

land_shark3
Here We Are

Post by land_shark3 »

Considering I work out of my house, I am home whether I'm sick or not. :lol:

While I try to limit my travel when I'm sick, I still have to do work. I only get 3 sick days and between myself and my son, they go very quickly.
It's your world, I'm just living in it! :pirate:

SMLCHNG
Favorite Buffett Song: Tin Cup Chalice/Lovely Cruise
Number of Concerts: 20
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum Runner

Post by SMLCHNG »

We don't have 'sick time'. All of ours is lumped into "PTO" - Personal Time Off. It's used for sick, vacation, personal errands, family stuff.

In the last 5 years, I've "called in sick" probably 5 times. But I would much rather people stay home, rather than trying to 'look good' at making it in.

I do agree that there are some out there who don't have the luxury of sick time. And they get demerits for calling in sick . :-?

pair8head
God's Own Drunk

Post by pair8head »

Ok I had a chance to talk to him this morning. After I talked to him I apologized to him as the People who
were telling me what was going on got it wrong. :evil: He wasn't running a fever he just all of a sudden
got dizzy as hell. After that he got a BAD headache. He went home and went strait to bed and felt fine
the next morning. He is planning on telling his doctor what happened when he sees him next week.

Lesson learned: NEVER listen to the guys I work with.
SAVE THE EARTH

SchoolGirlHeart
Last Man Standing

Post by SchoolGirlHeart »

pair8head wrote:Ok I had a chance to talk to him this morning. After I talked to him I apologized to him as the People who
were telling me what was going on got it wrong. :evil: He wasn't running a fever he just all of a sudden
got dizzy as hell. After that he got a BAD headache. He went home and went strait to bed and felt fine
the next morning. He is planning on telling his doctor what happened when he sees him next week.

Dizzy + Bad Headache = Immediate Doctor Visit..... :-?

Hope he's okay....
Carry on as you know they would want you to do. ~~JB, dedication to Tim Russert

Take your time
Find your passion
Life goes on until it ends
Don’t stop living
Until then

~~Mac McAnally

pair8head
God's Own Drunk

Post by pair8head »

SchoolGirlHeart wrote:
pair8head wrote:Ok I had a chance to talk to him this morning. After I talked to him I apologized to him as the People who

Dizzy + Bad Headache = Immediate Doctor Visit..... :-?

Hope he's okay....
He's ok but he's also too damn stubborn to go to a Doctor.
SAVE THE EARTH

Quint
Havana Daydreamin'

Post by Quint »

sonofabeach wrote:.
I work with a couple of people that are so proud that they have loads of hours.
Unfortunately they also have no life.
This would be me. :) It is not that I am proud of it. It is what it is. A bank full of PTO. However there was a company that changed it's policy on banked PTO shortly after I left. Apparently the payroll department was not too happy about writing a 3K check in banked PTO to some clown that no longer worked there. I on the other hand found it very helpful in the move. :)

On the note of people who use the hours the second they get them. That really upsets me. I can not stand it when people call in just because they do not feel like going to work that day. It really upsets me when I know it is because they are hungover from the night before. I have always had the belief that either you know your limits or you pay the fiddler.

Now if someone is really sick and can pass it around. Then by all means they should not be there. I am just one of those lucky few that never get sick. I think in the past ten years I have called in sick once and been late once.

Of coarse the one that really bothers me is are the people who confuse my cell phone as a call in line. ... Texting me after the shift starts to let me know you are sick does not count as calling in correctly. :) How many of you in charge have had this one happen?
" I am but just a small bug on the windshield of life"

Glorfindel7
At the Bama Breeze
Favorite Buffett Song: OPH
Number of Concerts: 15
Favorite Boat Drink: Beer, but I also like Margaritas :)

Post by Glorfindel7 »

At my company we get 5 sick/personal days a year plus our vacation.... The sick days are (use 'em or lose 'em).... We are encouraged to use them rather than go into work sick...

around this time of year I get a sinus infection from seasonal allergies... This time around it got bad enough for me to have to take a few days off from work to get better....I went to the doctor and I'm currently on antibiotics to clear up the infection.

In general I'll go into work unless I'm too tired to stand or if I'm REALLY hacking, etc... But I usually won't start staying home until I feel I'm sick enough to go to the doctor....
Tinley Park - June 30, Alpine - ???, Vegas -???

ragtopW
Last Man Standing

Post by ragtopW »

I haven't "felt well" in the morning since I can remember..
really.. I get up in the morning I am in a fog, my stomach is upset,
My head hurts.. I ache all over.. some mornings are better than others..
some mornings I don't remember driving to work.. I run on auto.
(and no it does not go away if I do not drink)
so in to work I go.. it goes away after a couple of hours..
if it doesn't go away.. OK so now I am sick.. and go home..
but really? I would never go to work if I called in every time I felt bad in the morning

Don I am glad to hear all's well..

rich_big
At the Bama Breeze

Post by rich_big »

Well, I was going to reply to this the other day, but now I am going to reply with a different experience.

My boss didn’t come in yesterday. She was sick. A bad cold is going around here, so I understand. She showed up this morning sounding like crap, sneezing, sniffling and wiping her nose saying how she didn’t feel well. But she said she no longer has a fever, so she is not contagious. She sneezed sniffled and snorted next to me all day.

Guess who is not feeling well tonight…..

MammaBear
I Love the Now!

Post by MammaBear »

We have pto also. Problem is we cannot carry over any pto days .... by this time of year, not many people have any days left including me. Another problem is if you try to use it over the holidays, you may not be able to get off. I always try to save time in the event the keet gets sick or there is an emergency. Also, absolutely no time off without pay. So...I will go to work sick.