Terrorists win again

In this forum you can discuss anything from sports, news, or what ever is on your mind.

Moderators: SMLCHNG, Saltx3

Skibo
Hoot!

Re: Terrorists win again

Post by Skibo »

Bibi Travels to U.S. for Reconstructive Surgery
Seven months after Diane Sawyer of "World News" met Bibi during a trip to Afghanistan, the young woman whose nose and ears were cut off by her husband is embarking on a new journey.
Meet a remarkable girl Diane Sawyer encountered on her trip to Afghanistan.

"I am going to America," she said this week, dressed in vibrant pink for her last day in the country.
Ahhh, they aren't much different than us, we have domestic violence and so do they. Then again in the US parents don't give 12 yr old girls to men to marry (by marry I mean abuse and keep in a barn with animals) and I don't think we have a ruling authority that decides the punishment for escaping this abuse is to cut her nose and ears off, but other than those minor differences we have a lot in common. I think it is great that our nation is able to help her and hope that the surgery is successful.
Rub yours on me and I'll rub mine on you

The Remittance Man
I have found me a home
Favorite Buffett Song: Nautical Wheelers
Number of Concerts: 1
Favorite Boat Drink: I can only choose one?!

Post by The Remittance Man »

Skibo wrote: Why are Americans so fearful of Muslims? I don't know, I am sure part of it is rooted in the historic wars between the Christians/Jews/Muslims that have been going on for centuries. More of it is probably linked to reports on the humanistic treatment women receive under Islamic laws. Maybe we could learn from the Islamic nations. Meh, women don't need to drive, and the courts would be less crammed with criminal cases if a rape victim was required to produce 4 witnesses. Infidelity? Yeah, maybe we should start stoning women here for infidelity. Sure would cut back on alimony and child support for the men that were wronged and of course the mans word would stand and men wouldn't have to worry about those liberal judges that always believe the woman. Imagine how much less we would have to spend on taxes if we didn't educate our women.
Of course, a lot of Americans who hate Muslims also hate feminists. And while their views on women are usually not as extreme as those you describe, they can certainly be amazingly tone-deaf to gender-based injustice. Which is neither here nor there with regards to the Islamic center in NYC, but it's rather disingenuous to come out against Islam for that of all possible reasons.
谁他妈的偷了我的比萨周六晚上? 不要他妈的, 你最好把它找回来!

SchoolGirlHeart
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by SchoolGirlHeart »

The Remittance Man wrote:
Skibo wrote: Why are Americans so fearful of Muslims? I don't know, I am sure part of it is rooted in the historic wars between the Christians/Jews/Muslims that have been going on for centuries. More of it is probably linked to reports on the humanistic treatment women receive under Islamic laws. Maybe we could learn from the Islamic nations. Meh, women don't need to drive, and the courts would be less crammed with criminal cases if a rape victim was required to produce 4 witnesses. Infidelity? Yeah, maybe we should start stoning women here for infidelity. Sure would cut back on alimony and child support for the men that were wronged and of course the mans word would stand and men wouldn't have to worry about those liberal judges that always believe the woman. Imagine how much less we would have to spend on taxes if we didn't educate our women.
Of course, a lot of Americans who hate Muslims also hate feminists. And while their views on women are usually not as extreme as those you describe, they can certainly be amazingly tone-deaf to gender-based injustice. Which is neither here nor there with regards to the Islamic center in NYC, but it's rather disingenuous to come out against Islam for that of all possible reasons.
In at least one case a US judge in NJ denied a woman's request for a restraining order against her husband in a domestic violence case that alleged rape and assault, among other things, because "The court believes that he was operating under his belief that it is, as the husband, his desire to have sex when and whether he wanted to, was something that was consistent with his practices and it was something that was not prohibited. ... The "practices" being referred to that "was not prohibited" is the provision in Sharia Law that makes a woman the absolute chattel of her husband, even insofar as sexual relations are concerned. That is to say, the husband had the right to demand sex from his wife, even though she did not want to. In other words, because the husband was a Muslim, he had the legal right to rape his wife." http://www.associatedcontent.com/articl ... haria.html The ruling was overturned but that any judge would consider Sharia law above the Constitution is very, very disturbing......
Carry on as you know they would want you to do. ~~JB, dedication to Tim Russert

Take your time
Find your passion
Life goes on until it ends
Don’t stop living
Until then

~~Mac McAnally

aeroparrot
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 42

Post by aeroparrot »

I guess my question touched a few nerves. :lol: :lol: :lol:
If you want an experience, go to a Jimmy Buffett concert.

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Life is short, live long!!

I'd rather be a wiseass than a dumbass.

Crazy Navy Flyer
On a Salty Piece of Land
Number of Concerts: 100
Favorite Boat Drink: rum

Post by Crazy Navy Flyer »

Interesting video about Islam, can't verify it's veracity but makes one think, or not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ib9rofXQl6w
Back to livin' Floridays

pair8head
God's Own Drunk
Number of Concerts: 300
Location: I'm not in the middle of nowhere but, you can see it from here.

Post by pair8head »

Crazy Navy Flyer wrote:Interesting video about Islam, can't verify it's veracity but makes one think, or not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ib9rofXQl6w
Mostly makes me want to puke.
SAVE THE EARTH
It's the only Planet that has chocolate.

The Remittance Man
I have found me a home
Favorite Buffett Song: Nautical Wheelers
Number of Concerts: 1
Favorite Boat Drink: I can only choose one?!

Post by The Remittance Man »

SchoolGirlHeart wrote: In at least one case a US judge in NJ denied a woman's request for a restraining order against her husband in a domestic violence case that alleged rape and assault, among other things, because "The court believes that he was operating under his belief that it is, as the husband, his desire to have sex when and whether he wanted to, was something that was consistent with his practices and it was something that was not prohibited. ... The "practices" being referred to that "was not prohibited" is the provision in Sharia Law that makes a woman the absolute chattel of her husband, even insofar as sexual relations are concerned. That is to say, the husband had the right to demand sex from his wife, even though she did not want to. In other words, because the husband was a Muslim, he had the legal right to rape his wife."
Disgusting, but perfectly legal in most US states until more recently than you probably think. And that wasn't the Muslims' fault.
谁他妈的偷了我的比萨周六晚上? 不要他妈的, 你最好把它找回来!

Salukulady
Behind Door #3
Number of Concerts: 7

Post by Salukulady »

SchoolGirlHeart wrote: In at least one case a US judge in NJ denied a woman's request for a restraining order against her husband in a domestic violence case that alleged rape and assault, among other things, because "The court believes that he was operating under his belief that it is, as the husband, his desire to have sex when and whether he wanted to, was something that was consistent with his practices and it was something that was not prohibited. ... The "practices" being referred to that "was not prohibited" is the provision in Sharia Law that makes a woman the absolute chattel of her husband, even insofar as sexual relations are concerned. That is to say, the husband had the right to demand sex from his wife, even though she did not want to. In other words, because the husband was a Muslim, he had the legal right to rape his wife."
Disgusting, but perfectly legal in most US states until more recently than you probably think. And that wasn't the Muslims' fault.
Not in California....

Lightning Bolt
Party at the End of the World
Favorite Buffett Song: Tryin To Reason...
Number of Concerts: 17
Location: Mt. Helix looking east to the future, west to this sunset

Post by Lightning Bolt »

A brilliant, eye-opening, sarcasm-laced-yet-truth-telling, call-it-as-you-see-it nugget of journalistic wit from a reliably humorous source

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/thu-a ... nd-edition

You could always count on Chuck Heston to bring reasonable sense back home 8)
$#@&...only Vegas again?? Padres ...gotta start believin'!Bring on '14 Spring Training!

Salukulady
Behind Door #3

Post by Salukulady »

Lightning Bolt wrote:A brilliant, eye-opening, sarcasm-laced-yet-truth-telling, call-it-as-you-see-it nugget of journalistic wit from a reliably humorous source

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/thu-a ... nd-edition

You could always count on Chuck Heston to bring reasonable sense back home 8)
Excellent....thanks for sharing.

sonofabeach
Favorite Buffett Song: La Vie Dansante
Number of Concerts: 15
Favorite Boat Drink: Tecate

Post by sonofabeach »

Been doing some thinking (hey it happens) and I say go for it.

Couple thoughts:
How many non-extremist muslims died in the Twin Towers?
A lot of Americans were all gung ho to go liberate Iraqis who are....that's right....muslims.
"It's crazy and it's different, but it's really bein' free"

TropicalTroubador
Hoot!
Number of Concerts: 10
Favorite Boat Drink: The one in front of me.

Post by TropicalTroubador »

sonofabeach wrote:Been doing some thinking (hey it happens) and I say go for it.

Couple thoughts:
How many non-extremist muslims died in the Twin Towers?
A lot of Americans were all gung ho to go liberate Iraqis who are....that's right....muslims.
Good questions.

It really makes no more sense to blame all Muslims for the actions of those 19 selfish a-holes and their dysfunctional support group as it would to blame all Christians for the acts of a few abortion clinic bombers. Or Timothy McVeigh.

Or, for that matter, to blame all Parrotheads for the few who rip off stuff out of people's cars at Buffett shows, or who get puking-sick drunk all over something expensive and irreplaceable.
Living my life on Island Standard Time...
Island Standard Time - the new Trop Rock album from Loren Davidson - now available!

http://www.lorendavidson.com

SharkOnLand
Chewin' on a Honeysuckle Vine

Post by SharkOnLand »

"What is the greatest lie ever created? What is the most vicious obscenity ever perpetrated on mankind? Slavery? The Holocaust? Dictatorship? No. It's the tool with which all that wickedness is built: altruism. Whenever anyone wants others to do their work, they call upon their altruism. Never mind your own needs, they say, think of the needs of... of whoever. The state. The poor. Of the army, of the king, of God! The list goes on and on. How many catastrophes were launched with the words "think of yourself"? It's the "king and country" crowd who light the torch of destruction. It is this great inversion, this ancient lie, which has chained humanity to an endless cycle of guilt and failure." -Andrew Ryan
Image Image

UAHparrothead
Number of Concerts: 3
Location: Standing at the fine line between Saturday night and Sunday morning.

Post by UAHparrothead »

SharkOnLand wrote:"What is the greatest lie ever created? What is the most vicious obscenity ever perpetrated on mankind? Slavery? The Holocaust? Dictatorship? No. It's the tool with which all that wickedness is built: altruism. Whenever anyone wants others to do their work, they call upon their altruism. Never mind your own needs, they say, think of the needs of... of whoever. The state. The poor. Of the army, of the king, of God! The list goes on and on. How many catastrophes were launched with the words "think of yourself"? It's the "king and country" crowd who light the torch of destruction. It is this great inversion, this ancient lie, which has chained humanity to an endless cycle of guilt and failure." -Andrew Ryan
You know you are quoting a video game, right?

Salukulady
Behind Door #3

Post by Salukulady »

UAHparrothead wrote:
SharkOnLand wrote:"What is the greatest lie ever created? What is the most vicious obscenity ever perpetrated on mankind? Slavery? The Holocaust? Dictatorship? No. It's the tool with which all that wickedness is built: altruism. Whenever anyone wants others to do their work, they call upon their altruism. Never mind your own needs, they say, think of the needs of... of whoever. The state. The poor. Of the army, of the king, of God! The list goes on and on. How many catastrophes were launched with the words "think of yourself"? It's the "king and country" crowd who light the torch of destruction. It is this great inversion, this ancient lie, which has chained humanity to an endless cycle of guilt and failure." -Andrew Ryan
Now I hafta clean the tea off my monitor.....

ph4ever
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: CILCIA or OPH
Number of Concerts: 299
Favorite Boat Drink: Rhum with my Chum or beer

Post by ph4ever »

Salukulady wrote:
Not in California....
rape is rape
Well...(said in my best Bubba voice) I've been on sabbatical.

I lost my cat :cry: Nevermind I found her!!! [smilie=battingeyes.gif]

SharkOnLand
Chewin' on a Honeysuckle Vine

Post by SharkOnLand »

UAHparrothead wrote:
Yep. And a damn good one too. The point is still valid.
Image Image

Salukulady
Behind Door #3

Post by Salukulady »