Teacher Fired on "Morals" Charge

In this forum you can discuss anything from sports, news, or what ever is on your mind.

Moderator: SMLCHNG

JollyMon66
Chewin' on a Honeysuckle Vine
Favorite Buffett Song: Last Mango in Paris
Number of Concerts: 7
Favorite Boat Drink: Mojito

Teacher Fired on "Morals" Charge

Post by JollyMon66 »

Teacher Fired for Becoming Pregnant Out of Wedlock

When Jarretta Hamilton, a fourth grade teacher at a Florida Christian school, told administrators she was pregnant, she expected them to ask when she was due.

She did not, however, think her answer would get her fired.

In April 2009, Hamilton told her boss at Southland Christian School in St. Cloud, Fla., that she was pregnant and planned to take a six-week leave in October. When asked when she conceived, Hamilton answered honestly: She became pregnant just three weeks prior to her Feb. 20 wedding.

That was enough to get her fired under the school's strict morality rules, which prohibit teachers from "fornication," engaging in sex before marriage.

"Jaretta was asked not to return because of a moral issue that was disregarded, namely fornication, sex outside marriage," administrator Julie Ennis wrote in a letter to Hamilton's lawyer.

Now, Hamilton is suing the school in federal court, seeking damages for lost wages and emotional distress.

"She was incredibly upset about being fired," Hamilton's lawyer Edward Gay told ABCNews.com. "She was upset that she wasn't able to complete the term with less than two months left in the school year and upset that her fourth graders were told about this."

According to Gay, Hamilton filed a complaint with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, but opted out of mediation and chose instead to file suit because of the commission's lengthy backlog.

According to the complaint, Hamilton is suing under federal gender discrimination laws, a state marriage discrimination law and for violations of her privacy.

"The school told the students and their parents why Hamilton had been fired. Disclosing that kind of personal information was a violation of her privacy," Gay said.

"There were never any complaints about her teaching. The school said she was an outstanding teacher," he added.

The school does not dispute the reasons for firing Hamilton, calling sex outside of marriage "an immoral action," but argues that her termination does not rise to discrimination because it employs other pregnant women.

For the rest of the story: http://abcnews.go.com/Business/Media/te ... 802&page=1
Image Image Image
If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane ...
bravedave
At the Bama Breeze

Re: Teacher Fired on "Morals" Charge

Post by bravedave »

Private employer, published policy
ragtopW
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by ragtopW »

did she sign a contract that clearly outlined this??
if so.. she is in the wrong..
you sign, you agree.. you give your word.... it's on you..
Skibo
Hoot!

Post by Skibo »

At least she didn't get 4 months in prison and 90 lashes....

Saudi convicts young man for kissing woman in mall
RIYADH, Saudi Arabia – A Saudi court convicted a man and sentenced him to four months in prison and 90 lashes for kissing a woman in a mall, a government-owned daily reported Thursday.
Rub yours on me and I'll rub mine on you
ragtopW
Last Man Standing

Post by ragtopW »

bravedave wrote:Private employer, published policy
GPHMTA!
chippewa
On a Salty Piece of Land

Post by chippewa »

When asked when she conceived, Hamilton answered honestly: She became pregnant just three weeks prior to her Feb. 20 wedding.
Contract or policy OK, but can they even ask this??? :o

I guess they can ask what they want, maybe my question is, does she legally have to answer?
JollyMon66

Post by JollyMon66 »

I think the issue here for me is that the employer still must comply with certain Federal and State employment and anti-discrimination laws. I'm not sure how you have a "morality" code that doesn't violate these laws. If the code itself doesn't violate the law...investigating a potential breech of "morality" certainly must. You aren't permitted to ask (in this case) a woman what her "child rearing practices" are...if she is married...if she wants to get married...or what kind of birth control she uses. I HOPE SHE WINS...I can't stand self-righteous people whose sole job in life is to dictate morality to everyone else......

http://www.eeoc.gov/facts/qanda.html
Image Image Image
Skibo
Hoot!

Post by Skibo »

The NFL has a morality code. Players get suspended without pay. Are they being discriminated against? They don't even need to be convicted of a crime. Just the acquisition is enough to be suspended.
JollyMon66 wrote:I HOPE SHE WINS...I can't stand self-righteous people whose sole job in life is to dictate morality to everyone else......
While I agree with you on this point, I also can't stand people that break known rules, suffer the consequences and blame the rule maker for their troubles. This woman didn't have to take that job, she could have applied for a position at a public school where they celebrate promiscuity.
Rub yours on me and I'll rub mine on you
JollyMon66

Post by JollyMon66 »

Skibo wrote:The NFL has a morality code. Players get suspended without pay. Are they being discriminated against? They don't even need to be convicted of a crime. Just the acquisition is enough to be suspended.
JollyMon66 wrote:I HOPE SHE WINS...I can't stand self-righteous people whose sole job in life is to dictate morality to everyone else......
While I agree with you on this point, I also can't stand people that break known rules, suffer the consequences and blame the rule maker for their troubles. This woman didn't have to take that job, she could have applied for a position at a public school where they celebrate promiscuity.

I agree with that too...my only point is that if the rules violate the law (and maybe they don't) it doesn't matter what she did or didn't agree to...she has a wrongful termination case.
Image Image Image
chippewa
On a Salty Piece of Land

Post by chippewa »

Skibo wrote:The NFL has a morality code. Players get suspended without pay. Are they being discriminated against? They don't even need to be convicted of a crime. Just the acquisition is enough to be suspended.
Excuse me? I'm going to assume you're just trolling, so I won't bother with a response.
txaggirl91
Diamond as Big as The Ritz
Number of Concerts: 30

Post by txaggirl91 »

It's a private Christian school. There is a moral standard they expect their teachers to live by. She answered honestly, she had relations outside of marriage, which was against their rules. She now has to deal with it.

A good friend of mine who worked in a private Christian school couldn't be seen in public drinking or with someone drinking or she would get fired.
I must be wishing on someone else's star....
ph4ever
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: CILCIA or OPH
Number of Concerts: 299
Favorite Boat Drink: Rhum with my Chum or beer

Post by ph4ever »

What the heck happened to smiling coyly, batting the eyes and saying "my honeymoon".
Well...(said in my best Bubba voice) I've been on sabbatical.
blackjacks wife
Hoot!

Post by blackjacks wife »

I think she has a case in that the school shared her reason for dismissal with the public but not on the dismissal itself.

MORE AL!!!
Bicycle Bill
At the Bama Breeze
Favorite Buffett Song: He Went to Paris
Number of Concerts: 1
Favorite Boat Drink: Anything with rum and pineapple juice!

Post by Bicycle Bill »

ph4ever wrote:What the heck happened to smiling coyly, batting the eyes and saying "my honeymoon".
[smilie=battingeyes.gif] but then know that the baby is due eight months, not nine, after said honeymoon?
I knew you could "plan" pregnancies, but I didn't know you could plan "preemies".
-"BB"-
"I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead."
"Some of it's magic, and some of it's tragic, but I've had a good life all the way."
frognot
At the Bama Breeze
Favorite Buffett Song: A Pirate Looks at 40
Number of Concerts: 10
Favorite Boat Drink: Old Fashioned or an IPA

Post by frognot »

So an abortion before she looked pregnant would have enabled her to keep her job but answering a question that was nobody's business gets her fired. Way to go American Taliban! Stone the adulteress!
Hank Hill : Just in case I'm incapacitated for some reason, do you know how to start a man's heart with a downed power line?

Bobby: No.

Hank : Well, there's really no wrong way to do it.
Bicycle Bill
At the Bama Breeze
Favorite Buffett Song: He Went to Paris
Number of Concerts: 1
Favorite Boat Drink: Anything with rum and pineapple juice!

Post by Bicycle Bill »

frognot wrote:So an abortion before she looked pregnant would have enabled her to keep her job but answering a question that was nobody's business gets her fired. Way to go American Taliban! Stone the adulteress!
I'm willing to bet having an abortion — and the school finding out about it — would have gotten her fired too.
-"BB"-
"I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead."
"Some of it's magic, and some of it's tragic, but I've had a good life all the way."
JollyMon66

Post by JollyMon66 »

Bicycle Bill wrote:
frognot wrote:So an abortion before she looked pregnant would have enabled her to keep her job but answering a question that was nobody's business gets her fired. Way to go American Taliban! Stone the adulteress!
I'm willing to bet having an abortion — and the school finding out about it — would have gotten her fired too.
-"BB"-

Wonder if the school also bugs the employee homes to double check that their employees aren't up to something "immoral" like watching South Park, sneeking a beer, or chatting on BN? :lol:
Image Image Image
nutmeg
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: Barefoot Children (this week)
Number of Concerts: 10

Post by nutmeg »

One has to wonder how many of those administrators were also guilty of "anticipating" their marriages :-? I doubt that all of them went into their marriages totally pure. Perhaps they missed the part about the first stone...

I understand about them having different standards and making their own policies as a private school. However I think it went way beyond what is legal and right to tell children and parents that she was guilty of "fornication." For heaven's sake, this is the man she is married to and who will raise children with her, not someone she met on a street corner and took to a hotel.
Friends Walk Together in Life's Garden
ImageImageImage
http://heartofmichiganrescue.com/
Tequila Revenge
Lester Polyester
Favorite Boat Drink: cubra libre

Post by Tequila Revenge »

Wow :roll:
got to stop wishin' got to start fishin'....
SchoolGirlHeart
Last Man Standing

Post by SchoolGirlHeart »

nutmeg wrote:One has to wonder how many of those administrators were also guilty of "anticipating" their marriages :-? I doubt that all of them went into their marriages totally pure. Perhaps they missed the part about the first stone...

I understand about them having different standards and making their own policies as a private school. However I think it went way beyond what is legal and right to tell children and parents that she was guilty of "fornication." For heaven's sake, this is the man she is married to and who will raise children with her, not someone she met on a street corner and took to a hotel.
My thoughts exactly.
Carry on as you know they would want you to do. ~~JB, dedication to Tim Russert

Take your time
Find your passion
Life goes on until it ends
Don’t stop living
Until then

~~Mac McAnally