Biggest Movie Blunders............

In this forum you can discuss anything from sports, news, or what ever is on your mind.

Moderators: SMLCHNG, Saltx3

sonofabeach
Party at the End of the World
Favorite Buffett Song: La Vie Dansante
Number of Concerts: 15
Favorite Boat Drink: Tecate

Re: Biggest Movie Blunders............

Post by sonofabeach »

hell I thought it was a word they just made up.
"It's crazy and it's different, but it's really bein' free"

SharkOnLand
Chewin' on a Honeysuckle Vine
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by SharkOnLand »

smiller wrote:Maybe a parsec means something different on Tattooine?
Quite possibly... a long time ago, and far, far away, it might have had a different meaning. [smilie=cheeky-grin.gif]
Image Image

Glorfindel7
At the Bama Breeze
Favorite Buffett Song: OPH
Number of Concerts: 15
Favorite Boat Drink: Beer, but I also like Margaritas :)

Post by Glorfindel7 »

TropicalTroubador wrote:
pair8head wrote:
Sanjuro's tequila wrote:
pair8head wrote:You've all seen em, what is the one blunder made in a movie that just gets on your nerves the most?

Mine is from Star Wars.

"You've never heard of the Millennium Falcon?…It's the ship that made the Kessel Run in less than twelve parsecs. " ― Han Solo ...

What's wrong with it?

A Parsec is a unit for measuring distance not speed.

Actually, The Kessel Run was an 18-parsec route used by smugglers to move glitterstim spice from Kessel to an area south of the Si'Klaata Cluster without getting caught by the Imperial ships that were guarding the movement of spice from Kessel's mines. A parsec was a unit of distance, not time. Solo was not referring directly to his ship's speed when he made this claim. Instead, he was referring to the shorter route he was able to travel by skirting the nearby Maw black hole cluster, thus making the run in under the standard distance. By moving closer to the black holes, Solo managed to cut the distance down to about 11.5 parsecs.

Per this thing

NERD!
The real life answer is George Lucas didn't know a parsec was a measure of distance, not time. So, he used a cool sounding word and got called on it. A story was made up to cover it (there are many such cases) and everybody was happy. Except of course me.
Well, *I* had heard, a long time ago, that Lucas *did* know what a parsec is; he gave Han the line to show that Han was a lot about bluster and bluff, and capable of making up something that sounded impressive just because, regardless of whether it made sense or not.

But speaking of Star Wars blunders...there are a *lot* of odd continuity glitches, etc., but one of my favorite is near the end of the original movie ("A New Hope"), where they've come back from the Death Star run. Luke gets out of his X-Wing and runs over to hug Leia (actress Carrie Fisher). She shouts "Luke!" He shouts "Carrie!"
My gut feeling is that this probably took too many takes, so that George simply said, forget about it maybe noone will notice the blunder :roll:
Tinley Park - June 30, Alpine - ???, Vegas -???

citcat
On a Salty Piece of Land
Favorite Buffett Song: Pirate Looks at 40
Number of Concerts: 10
Favorite Boat Drink: margarita

Post by citcat »

Bfan53again wrote:As a car enthusiast, one of my favorite films of all time was "Bullitt" starring Steve McQueen. The other "star" was a highly modified Ford Mustang......

McQueen is a cop in San Francisco and one scene involves a long car chase between McQueen and the bad guys in a Dodge Charger. Both cars rocket and bounce through the streets (and hills) of SF.....probably the best "chase" sequence ever filmed.

The scene supposedly ends with the Charger slamming into a set of gas pumps, large, firey explosion......the end of the bad guys.

However; having watched the movie many times during one viewing I noticed that the Charger actually misses the pumps and rolls behind them..... :o :roll:

I later read about the scene and it seems that the film makers thankfully had a remote means of blowing up the pumps. Now that little blunder sticks out so clearly I watch for it...... :pirate:
And in the car chase, hubcaps come off and mysteriously reappear on the cars. But I LOVE that scene...it's in my top five favorite move scenes. Seeing it in the movie theater was a trip, you actually felt like you were in the car.
Do not resent growing old. Many are denied the privilege.

SkoolGrl<3
I Love the Now!
Favorite Buffett Song: today: He Went to Paris
Number of Concerts: 9
Favorite Boat Drink: if it's got rum or tequila, gimme it!!!

Post by SkoolGrl<3 »

buffettbride wrote:
Sanjuro's tequila wrote:
backstreets77 wrote:In Dazed and Confused you can see in the back ground shots some modern day cars. The movie is suppose to take place in 1976. Same thing in Goodfellas.

That drives me absolutely batty... People in period clothes and a highway in the background with 2008 Honda Civics driving back and forth.
I have period clothes. :oops:
Do you mean clothes from a specific era or do you mean clothes for bloaty days? :oops:

I know ST means time... which sometimes it is entertaining to catch those errors in the background.
Last edited by SkoolGrl<3 on August 26, 2010 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"She's cute when she drunk dials - odd combination of cute, sappy sweet, and curse like a sailor all in one." -Surfpirate

The Lost Manatee
I Love the Now!
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by The Lost Manatee »

[quote="surfpirate"]In Die Hard II ... taking place supposedly at Dulles Airport outside of Washington D.C.,
John McClain (Bruce Willis) uses a payphone with the logo of Pacific Bell on the phone.

The entire Die Hard II move gave me fits.

First, it isn't Dulles, it looks more like Denver.

Second, if terrorist did take over the ATC at Dulles, all those international flights could easily divert to BWI, Philly, JFK, Newark and if need be Andrews Air Force base. Lots of options so there is no reason why anyone would run out of fuel.

I can go on and on.

I haven't watched the movie since it came out and it still ranks as one of the most error ridden movies I've seen.
Captain Jack's Bar & Grill, Home to the Lost Manatee.

Livin' and dyin' in 3/4 time.

Bfan53again
Under My Lone Palm
Favorite Buffett Song: "I Have Found Me a Home"
Number of Concerts: 8
Favorite Boat Drink: Dark 'n Stormy

Post by Bfan53again »

citcat wrote:
Bfan53again wrote:As a car enthusiast, one of my favorite films of all time was "Bullitt" starring Steve McQueen. The other "star" was a highly modified Ford Mustang......

McQueen is a cop in San Francisco and one scene involves a long car chase between McQueen and the bad guys in a Dodge Charger. Both cars rocket and bounce through the streets (and hills) of SF.....probably the best "chase" sequence ever filmed.

The scene supposedly ends with the Charger slamming into a set of gas pumps, large, firey explosion......the end of the bad guys.

However; having watched the movie many times during one viewing I noticed that the Charger actually misses the pumps and rolls behind them..... :o :roll:

I later read about the scene and it seems that the film makers thankfully had a remote means of blowing up the pumps. Now that little blunder sticks out so clearly I watch for it...... :pirate:
And in the car chase, hubcaps come off and mysteriously reappear on the cars. But I LOVE that scene...it's in my top five favorite move scenes. Seeing it in the movie theater was a trip, you actually felt like you were in the car.
Yes, you are right about the "self re-attaching" hub caps........ :o If only they worked like that in real life!
On most days I say: "Wrinkles only go where the smiles have been...."
Sometimes I can only say: "There is no dumbass vaccine......"

If something or someone gets you down, just remember: "In a hundred years it all won’t matter.........."

buffettbride
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 5
Favorite Boat Drink: Cuba Libre

Post by buffettbride »

SkoolGrl<3 wrote:
buffettbride wrote:
Sanjuro's tequila wrote:
backstreets77 wrote:In Dazed and Confused you can see in the back ground shots some modern day cars. The movie is suppose to take place in 1976. Same thing in Goodfellas.

That drives me absolutely batty... People in period clothes and a highway in the background with 2008 Honda Civics driving back and forth.
I have period clothes. :oops:
Do you mean clothes from a specific era or do you mean clothes for bloaty days? :oops:
:oops: :oops:

buffettbride
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 5
Favorite Boat Drink: Cuba Libre

Post by buffettbride »

The Lost Manatee wrote:
First, it isn't Dulles, it looks more like Denver.
'Cause it is. A good familiy friend was attending Colorado Aerospace school at the time and got to be an extra in it.

Bicycle Bill
At the Bama Breeze
Favorite Buffett Song: He Went to Paris
Number of Concerts: 1
Favorite Boat Drink: Anything with rum and pineapple juice!

Post by Bicycle Bill »

I don't know if anyone else mentioned this one yet —

In "Field of Dreams", when Ray (Kevin Costner) is pitching to "Shoeless" Joe (Ray Liotta), Joe is shown batting from the left side of home plate. However, while the real "Shoeless" Joe threw right-handed, he batted as a leftie, and would be standing on the *right-hand* side of the plate, nearer to first base......

They had a similar situation in the 1942 movie about Lou Gehrig, "Pride of the Yankees". Gehrig was left-handed but star Gary Cooper was right-handed, so doubles were used wherever possible. However, the close-up baseball scenes required that Cooper et al be filmed wearing uniforms with reverse (mirror-image) lettering and numbers; and when Cooper hit the ball he would run to *third* base. The scenes were then reversed in processing, and everything looked OK again.
-"BB"-
"I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead."
"Some of it's magic, and some of it's tragic, but I've had a good life all the way."