Biggest Movie Blunders............

In this forum you can discuss anything from sports, news, or what ever is on your mind.

Moderators: SMLCHNG, Saltx3

Bicycle Bill
At the Bama Breeze
Favorite Buffett Song: He Went to Paris
Number of Concerts: 1
Favorite Boat Drink: Anything with rum and pineapple juice!

Re: Biggest Movie Blunders............

Post by Bicycle Bill »

In the 1979 movie 'Breaking Away' the protagonist (Dave) is out riding his bike, training for an up-coming race. He starts to draft a semi bearing the logo of the sponsor of an Italian cycling team, and eventually reaches speeds in excess of 55 mph.

This is possible; the semi is blocking the wind and the suction/slipstream effect, if you're close enough, is powerful.....but a closeup shot reveals that Dave is doing all this while still in a low gear — the chain is still on the small chainring (gear at the pedals). You've got about as much chance of doing that, drafting an 18-wheeler or not, as you would be able to drive your car at 75 mph in second gear.
-"BB"-
"I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead."
"Some of it's magic, and some of it's tragic, but I've had a good life all the way."

SeattleParrotHead
Under My Lone Palm
Favorite Buffett Song: Island, 12v Man
Number of Concerts: 6
Favorite Boat Drink: Mai Tais @ Dukes

Post by SeattleParrotHead »

surfpirate wrote: But one thing I noticed. Apparent on the west coast, highway systems are referred to as "the" number,
e.g. "the 405", "the 110"

Jack Bauer refers to the Washington DC Beltway and Interstate as "the 495" and "the 95". We call it "495" and "I-95".
In Seattle it's just "Five" or maybe "Eye 5" and "Four Oh Five" . . when someone says "The Five" or "Eye Four Oh Five" you know they're not from around here . . .
ImageImage

I know the voices aren't real but sometimes they have really good ideas...
SPH

LIPH
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 0
Favorite Boat Drink: my next beer, as long as it's not Blandshark

Post by LIPH »

surfpirate wrote:But one thing I noticed. Apparent on the west coast, highway systems are referred to as "the" number,
e.g. "the 405", "the 110"

Jack Bauer refers to the Washington DC Beltway and Interstate as "the 495" and "the 95". We call it "495" and "I-95".

Jack's cell phone service is also impeccable.
I don't hear people on LI calling roads by the number very often. Sunrise Highway is Sunrise Highway, not 27. The LI Expressway is the LIE, not 495. The Seaford Oyster Bay Expressway is the SOB, not 135. And so on ...
what I really mean . . . I wish you were here

Snowparrot
Under My Lone Palm
Number of Concerts: 14
Favorite Boat Drink: **Free**

Post by Snowparrot »

Maybe those movies or shows were made in Canada (so many are); we say The 401, the 416, the 105... but 1-digit highways are Highway 2, Highway 7 and 2-digit ones (I think) just the number , "I was up on 22 last week"....
We're always varied. And that's just Ontario I'm talking about.

Sanjuro's tequila
I gotta go where it's warm
Favorite Buffett Song: Recently: Tin Cup Chalice
Number of Concerts: 8
Favorite Boat Drink: Today: Extra dry martini

Post by Sanjuro's tequila »

pair8head wrote:
The real life answer is George Lucas didn't know a parsec was a measure of distance, not time. So, he used a cool sounding word and got called on it. A story was made up to cover it (there are many such cases) and everybody was happy. Except of course me.

A.K.A George Lucas is a lucky hack. :P

chippewa
On a Salty Piece of Land

Post by chippewa »

Bicycle Bill wrote:In the 1979 movie 'Breaking Away' the protagonist (Dave) is out riding his bike, training for an up-coming race. He starts to draft a semi bearing the logo of the sponsor of an Italian cycling team, and eventually reaches speeds in excess of 55 mph.

This is possible; the semi is blocking the wind and the suction/slipstream effect, if you're close enough, is powerful.....but a closeup shot reveals that Dave is doing all this while still in a low gear — the chain is still on the small chainring (gear at the pedals). You've got about as much chance of doing that, drafting an 18-wheeler or not, as you would be able to drive your car at 75 mph in second gear.
-"BB"-
Good movie that I'd forgotten about.

Some people have an eye for catching movie mistakes but not me. The only one I've ever noticed was in "Babe". I'm pretty sure pigs can't really talk. :lol:

txaggirl91
Diamond as Big as The Ritz
Number of Concerts: 30

Post by txaggirl91 »

I've got two..

The remake of Oceans Eleven. The sceen where Brad and Matt are in the Bellagio waiting for Julia Roberts to walk by the first time. Brad is eating shrimp cocktail. One time it is a plate and the other time it is in something like a martini glass.

The second is in Out of Africa. Whene Robert and Meryl are out one sarfari and he is cutting up apples. One shot there are three applies and in the next two then back to three.
I must be wishing on someone else's star....

SMLCHNG
Favorite Buffett Song: Tin Cup Chalice/Lovely Cruise
Number of Concerts: 20
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum Runner

Post by SMLCHNG »

txaggirl91 wrote:I've got two..

The remake of Oceans Eleven. The sceen where Brad and Matt are in the Bellagio waiting for Julia Roberts to walk by the first time. Brad is eating shrimp cocktail. One time it is a plate and the other time it is in something like a martini glass.
I noticed that one, too. :lol:

In Die Hard 2, there are Pac Bell phones and it's supposed to be in Washington DC airport.

popcornjack
Changing Channels
Favorite Buffett Song: Biloxi
Number of Concerts: 75
Favorite Boat Drink: Dos Equis

Post by popcornjack »

In "Stripes" when Harold Ramis is fighting with Bill Murray in the parking lot, he is shaking his head against the ground. One angle has a duffel bag under his head; the other doesn't, and they cut back and forth between the two angles a few times.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Well, I went to find a video of that scene, came across this list. Apparently there were a few issues with Stripes.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0083131/goofs
Take me for what I am, a star newly emerging.
I accept the new found man, and I set the twilight reeling.

SkoolGrl<3
I Love the Now!
Favorite Buffett Song: today: He Went to Paris
Number of Concerts: 9
Favorite Boat Drink: if it's got rum or tequila, gimme it!!!

Post by SkoolGrl<3 »

"Legally Blond" scene where Reese Witherspoon is in the elevator and you can see Selma Blair's reflection across the hall. She is ready for her cue to catch up to Reese before the elevator door closes. I hate that I get fixated on it, as if it will be gone in future viewings.
"She's cute when she drunk dials - odd combination of cute, sappy sweet, and curse like a sailor all in one." -Surfpirate

Bfan53again
Under My Lone Palm
Favorite Buffett Song: "I Have Found Me a Home"
Favorite Boat Drink: Dark 'n Stormy

Post by Bfan53again »

As a car enthusiast, one of my favorite films of all time was "Bullitt" starring Steve McQueen. The other "star" was a highly modified Ford Mustang......

McQueen is a cop in San Francisco and one scene involves a long car chase between McQueen and the bad guys in a Dodge Charger. Both cars rocket and bounce through the streets (and hills) of SF.....probably the best "chase" sequence ever filmed.

The scene supposedly ends with the Charger slamming into a set of gas pumps, large, firey explosion......the end of the bad guys.

However; having watched the movie many times during one viewing I noticed that the Charger actually misses the pumps and rolls behind them..... :o :roll:

I later read about the scene and it seems that the film makers thankfully had a remote means of blowing up the pumps. Now that little blunder sticks out so clearly I watch for it...... :pirate:
On most days I say: "Wrinkles only go where the smiles have been...."
Sometimes I can only say: "There is no dumbass vaccine......"

If something or someone gets you down, just remember: "In a hundred years it all won’t matter.........."

sonofabeach
Party at the End of the World
Favorite Buffett Song: La Vie Dansante
Number of Concerts: 15
Favorite Boat Drink: Tecate

Post by sonofabeach »

In Red Dawn when Jed (Patrick Swayze) and five others first escape to the mountains and are discussing what's going on there are two mystery men in one of the shots.
"It's crazy and it's different, but it's really bein' free"

popcornjack
Changing Channels

Post by popcornjack »

sonofabeach wrote:In Red Dawn when Jed (Patrick Swayze) and five others first escape to the mountains and are discussing what's going on there are two mystery men in one of the shots.
They're like the red shirted guys in Star Trek; they'll be the first to get killed. [smilie=sillyjester.gif] [smilie=sillyjester.gif] [smilie=sillyjester.gif] [smilie=sillyjester.gif]

buffettbride
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 5
Favorite Boat Drink: Cuba Libre

Post by buffettbride »

Bicycle Bill wrote:In the 1979 movie 'Breaking Away' the protagonist (Dave) is out riding his bike, training for an up-coming race. He starts to draft a semi bearing the logo of the sponsor of an Italian cycling team, and eventually reaches speeds in excess of 55 mph.

-"BB"-
Just watched that with my daughter for the first time. Was one of my all time favorite movies.

REFUND!!!

buffettbride
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 5
Favorite Boat Drink: Cuba Libre

Post by buffettbride »

Sanjuro's tequila wrote:
backstreets77 wrote:In Dazed and Confused you can see in the back ground shots some modern day cars. The movie is suppose to take place in 1976. Same thing in Goodfellas.

That drives me absolutely batty... People in period clothes and a highway in the background with 2008 Honda Civics driving back and forth.
I have period clothes. :oops:

pair8head
God's Own Drunk
Number of Concerts: 300
Location: I'm not in the middle of nowhere but, you can see it from here.

Post by pair8head »

TMI?
SAVE THE EARTH
It's the only Planet that has chocolate.

popcornjack
Changing Channels

Post by popcornjack »

smiller wrote:I can't remember with James Bond movie it is, but there are bad dudes chasing Bond on 3 wheelers. Then you see one of their tires rolling accross the screen. In the next sceen, they are all chasing him again. Makes me laugh everytime.
Diamonds are Forever. (Watching it now.) What makes it extra funny is that a car enters the screen from the right and crashes off the side of a hill in the desert. With all four of its tires still attached, another tire, one that it definitely not a car tire, but fat like the ones on the 3-wheelers, comes rolling on the screen from the left, even though there was no 3-wheeler in the scene. And then, yes, none of the 3-wheelers are missing a tire.

surfpirate
Here We Are
Favorite Buffett Song: African Friend
Number of Concerts: 98

Post by surfpirate »

popcornjack wrote:
smiller wrote:I can't remember with James Bond movie it is, but there are bad dudes chasing Bond on 3 wheelers. Then you see one of their tires rolling accross the screen. In the next sceen, they are all chasing him again. Makes me laugh everytime.
Diamonds are Forever. (Watching it now.) What makes it extra funny is that a car enters the screen from the right and crashes off the side of a hill in the desert. With all four of its tires still attached, another tire, one that it definitely not a car tire, but fat like the ones on the 3-wheelers, comes rolling on the screen from the left, even though there was no 3-wheeler in the scene. And then, yes, none of the 3-wheelers are missing a tire.
I was always too busy watching Jill St. John, Bambi and Thumper to care about tires from that chase scene.
"There are no stupid questions. But there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots."
BNCRITTERS.COM | TWITTER | FACEBOOK | SURF SHOP |

SharkOnLand
Chewin' on a Honeysuckle Vine
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by SharkOnLand »

Sanjuro's tequila wrote:
pair8head wrote:You've all seen em, what is the one blunder made in a movie that just gets on your nerves the most?

Mine is from Star Wars.

"You've never heard of the Millennium Falcon?…It's the ship that made the Kessel Run in less than twelve parsecs. " ― Han Solo ...

What's wrong with it?

A Parsec is a unit for measuring distance not speed.

Actually, The Kessel Run was an 18-parsec route used by smugglers to move glitterstim spice from Kessel to an area south of the Si'Klaata Cluster without getting caught by the Imperial ships that were guarding the movement of spice from Kessel's mines. A parsec was a unit of distance, not time. Solo was not referring directly to his ship's speed when he made this claim. Instead, he was referring to the shorter route he was able to travel by skirting the nearby Maw black hole cluster, thus making the run in under the standard distance. By moving closer to the black holes, Solo managed to cut the distance down to about 11.5 parsecs.

Per this thing

NERD!
If you take the original quote in context though, they were talking about the speed of the ship. This explanation obviously came later, although it doesn't explain why Han was talking about his ship being fast by telling them something not related to speed at all. ;)
Image Image

smiller
I gotta go where it's warm
Favorite Buffett Song: The Wino and I Know

Post by smiller »

Maybe a parsec means something different on Tattooine?
"wishing every month of the year could be June" - JB So TRUE!