IF YOU GET A CALL FROM 502-873-0294

In this forum you can discuss anything from sports, news, or what ever is on your mind.

Moderators: SMLCHNG, Saltx3

pair8head
God's Own Drunk
Number of Concerts: 300
Location: I'm not in the middle of nowhere but, you can see it from here.

IF YOU GET A CALL FROM 502-873-0294

Post by pair8head »

Don't answer it. They will ask you to take a short political survey then tell you you won a trip to the Bahamas
and all you gotta do is give them some information and pay a small fee. Yeah right.
SAVE THE EARTH
It's the only Planet that has chocolate.

springparrot
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: what time of day is it????
Number of Concerts: 30
Favorite Boat Drink: Mudslide, Strawberry Margarita

Re: IF YOU GET A CALL FROM 502-873-0294

Post by springparrot »

Darn
And I wanted to go to the Bahamas....after they have all my banking info [smilie=battingeyes.gif]

Thanks Don

NewToTheForum
Nibblin' on sponge cake
Favorite Buffett Song: Don't make me choose just one!
Number of Concerts: 1
Favorite Boat Drink: frozen margarita

Post by NewToTheForum »

My Mom got a call in the last few days from a similar scam, but they said they were Publishers Clearing House. They wanted her to go to Walmart and get a "Green Dot" card which I think is other like wiring money through Western Union or a prepaid Mastercard. They said once she purchased that card for $300 they would start making regular payments of her Million Dollar jackpot to her card. The sad thing is that she so badly wants to win a jackpot that she didn't' immediately slam the phone down. It took several family members, the neighbors and the police to convince her NO IT IS NOT TRUE.

Guys, I have won the Grand Prize in a national contest and I didn't have to spend a cent to redeem it. They send me a certified letter asking me to follow up with a phone call, then they sent me the goods. Don't five anyone anything.

nutmeg
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: Barefoot Children (this week)
Number of Concerts: 10

Post by nutmeg »

"the short political survey" part would have had the end button pushed before they ever got to the Bahamas part.

In fact I may have gotten some of those calls. I hung up on several "short political survey" calls during our primary time.
Friends Walk Together in Life's Garden
ImageImageImage
http://heartofmichiganrescue.com/

Bicycle Bill
At the Bama Breeze
Favorite Buffett Song: He Went to Paris
Favorite Boat Drink: Anything with rum and pineapple juice!

Post by Bicycle Bill »

I've received a couple of calls that start out with the sound of a ship's horn, then tells me I've qualified for "two boarding passes" to some destination in the Caribbean — can't remember if it was the Bahamas or Jamaica or somewhere else — and then asks me to complete a political survey. That's all the farther I let it get before I hang up the phone.

My call log displayed a different number (360-461-4696), but other than that it sounds like the same thing.
-"BB"-
"I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead."
"Some of it's magic, and some of it's tragic, but I've had a good life all the way."

pair8head
God's Own Drunk
Number of Concerts: 300
Location: I'm not in the middle of nowhere but, you can see it from here.

Post by pair8head »

When ever I get a call from a number I don't recognize I google the number and that's what I did here.
SAVE THE EARTH
It's the only Planet that has chocolate.

surfpirate
Here We Are
Favorite Buffett Song: African Friend
Number of Concerts: 98

Post by surfpirate »

I have two phone lines .... one I answer .... and one i ignore.
the ignore line is published ... white pages, etc.
it is on the do-not-call registry but still .....
it rings to a message which says
"this is me .... but don't leave a message .... I don't check this number .... next time you see me ask for my other number" ....

the one I answer is the auxiliary line ....
non-published ....
if it rings it is because I have given
the number to you and you are
family or friend ....
I guard that number carefully ...

this works really well ....
"There are no stupid questions. But there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots."
BNCRITTERS.COM | TWITTER | FACEBOOK | SURF SHOP |

Wino you know
God's Own Drunk
Favorite Buffett Song: Far Side of the World & Somewhere Over China
Number of Concerts: 105
Favorite Boat Drink: Beaujalais Villages French Burgundy

Post by Wino you know »

pair8head wrote:When ever I get a call from a number I don't recognize I google the number and that's what I did here.
When my home phone rings, if the caller I.D. doesn't show the *NAME* of a person I know, I will not answer, and will google the number. Especially if they don't leave a message. Sometimes the caller I.D. will ony say "Out of Area" or "Unknown" or the city where the call is coming from. I either see the NAME of a person I know on the caller I.D. or I don't answer.
Only a select few people have my cell phone number, so USUALLY I know who's calling. Still, if it's not somebody I know. I don't answer.
There are only about 3 or 4 people I talk to on the phone on a regular basis anyway.

citcat
On a Salty Piece of Land
Favorite Buffett Song: Pirate Looks at 40
Number of Concerts: 10
Favorite Boat Drink: margarita

Post by citcat »

I have a lot of relatives in the 502 area code in Louisville, so ignoring the call wouldn't work for me, but when it isn't one of them, they hear "CLICK". :lol:

Yesterday, the hubby answered the phone and some guy who sounded like he was from India said he represented Microsoft and they got notice that we have a virus, to go to our computer and follow their directions to see what virus it was and how to fix it. He gave the phone to me and I asked the guy, that IF he was legit to email me the info or I'd go to Microsoft.com myself. He went through another spiel and said he didn't have our email address. I laughed/yelled "YOU DON'T HAVE OUR EMAIL ADDRESS ?" I "CLICKED". :lol:

Man, the lengths the shysters of the world will go to.
Do not resent growing old. Many are denied the privilege.

Bicycle Bill
At the Bama Breeze
Favorite Buffett Song: He Went to Paris
Favorite Boat Drink: Anything with rum and pineapple juice!

Post by Bicycle Bill »

citcat wrote:I have a lot of relatives in the 502 area code in Louisville, so ignoring the call wouldn't work for me, but when it isn't one of them, they hear "CLICK". :lol:

Yesterday, the hubby answered the phone and some guy who sounded like he was from India said he represented Microsoft and they got notice that we have a virus, to go to our computer and follow their directions to see what virus it was and how to fix it. He gave the phone to me and I asked the guy, that IF he was legit to email me the info or I'd go to Microsoft.com myself. He went through another spiel and said he didn't have our email address. I laughed/yelled "YOU DON'T HAVE OUR EMAIL ADDRESS ?" I "CLICKED". :lol:

Man, the lengths the shysters of the world will go to.
What's even more amazing is the number of people who are supposedly intelligent who still fall for stuff like these ... especially something like you've just outlined, citcat.  The old saying — "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably isn't" — is still a pretty accurate litmus test for scams in general.

And just as a heads-up; these swindlers and ne'er-do-wells are now starting to target cellphone users.  Verizon Wireless recently shut down a "phishing" operation that actually sent postcards to their targets telling them that they needed to re-register any discounts they were currently receiving (people can qualify for varying discounts from 5 to 22% on their personal call plan, depending on their employer) and directing them to a lookalike (but still bogus) website where they were then prompted to enter sensitive personal information like account numbers and access passwords.
-"BB"-
"I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead."
"Some of it's magic, and some of it's tragic, but I've had a good life all the way."

BahamaBreeze
At the Bama Breeze
Number of Concerts: 20
Favorite Boat Drink: Shots of good tequila

Post by BahamaBreeze »

Just got a call from: 503-468-5227
SPAM caller who will call you about 5 times a day!!
UGH!!

FunkHouse9
At the Bama Breeze
Favorite Buffett Song: Nautical Wheelers
Number of Concerts: 23
Favorite Boat Drink: Crown Royal & Ginger Ale

Post by FunkHouse9 »

I have a home phone only because my FIOS bundle was cheaper to get one than not to get one. I set it up so the phone is always on 'Do Not Disturb' except for calls from the 10 numbers I can select. The Batphone will only ring if it's from someone at one of those #'s and those people know it's only for emergencies and otherwise to call our cell phones. I wasn't even going to hook a phone up, but if there's ever an emergency, our daughters need to be able to learn to call 911. An out-of-reach cell phone won't be much help to a 4 year old when I'm unconscious on the floor.
Maybe it's because in spite of all the work we do, it's the child in us we really value.

BahamaBreeze
At the Bama Breeze
Favorite Boat Drink: Shots of good tequila

Post by BahamaBreeze »

FunkHouse9 wrote:I have a home phone only because my FIOS bundle was cheaper to get one than not to get one. I set it up so the phone is always on 'Do Not Disturb' except for calls from the 10 numbers I can select. The Batphone will only ring if it's from someone at one of those #'s and those people know it's only for emergencies and otherwise to call our cell phones. I wasn't even going to hook a phone up, but if there's ever an emergency, our daughters need to be able to learn to call 911. An out-of-reach cell phone won't be much help to a 4 year old when I'm unconscious on the floor.
WTG Dad for thinking about her!!

Skibo
Hoot!

Post by Skibo »

Those guys just keep changing up numbers. next week it will be a new phone number. I talk to them, give them fake addresses and SS #'s ask them what they are wearing, tell them I'm not wearing any underwear, they eventually get disgusted and hang up.
Rub yours on me and I'll rub mine on you

Wino you know
God's Own Drunk
Favorite Buffett Song: Far Side of the World & Somewhere Over China
Number of Concerts: 105
Favorite Boat Drink: Beaujalais Villages French Burgundy

Post by Wino you know »

Apparently the "Do Not Call" telephone number is also bogus.
I've called it three or four times, registered my phone # with them, and still get these B.S. telemarketer calls, however, as I said before, I just don't answer. Still, it's annoying.

Rabbitz
Hoot!
Favorite Buffett Song: Growing Older
Number of Concerts: 2
Favorite Boat Drink: Rhum and Pineapple

Post by Rabbitz »

You guys are missing out on so much fun.

I like to talk to them, especially the one "I'm from Windows Maintenance Department".

Play the game, give them false information (of course) but never give them anything that may be even close to a credit card number, they can and do try and chase what they insist is a legitimate bill, remember they have your phone no. so the credit chasing has a start point.

Keep 'em talking, and watch your call timer, after about 3 minutes and 15 seconds they will get agitated and try to push for a close. After 3 minutes 30 seconds, I will say something along the lines of "Oh my call timer says we have gone over 3 and a half minutes, I guess you will get into trouble for not closing this one out?" Followed by "You know I was stringing you along to waste your time and ruin your call stats..." You will then hear some sort of expletive followed by 'click' and 'beeeeeeeeep'

Outbound call centres have such tight timings that if you know how they work you can ruin their whole day and have fun at the same time. If more people did this, the call centre profit would be reduced, they factor in short failed calls but must close out long calls to make money. So by playing them at their game you can help make them lose and make them less lucrative. If they are less lucrative then there will be less of them.
Always be yourself
Unless you can be Batman
Then always be Batman

SMLCHNG
Favorite Buffett Song: Tin Cup Chalice/Lovely Cruise
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum Runner

Post by SMLCHNG »

From "Mel" on 800Notes..
You can't stop them! Quit posting that you need to register on the DNC List. It won't help. Read:
FROM THE DO NOT CALL REGISTRY SITE (FTC.GOV):

28. Will All Telemarketing Calls Stop If I Register?
If I register my number on the National Do Not Call Registry, will it stop all telemarketing calls?
No. Placing your number on the National Do Not Call Registry will stop most telemarketing calls, but not all. Because of limitations in the jurisdiction of the FTC and FCC, calls from or on behalf of political organizations, charities, and telephone surveyors would still be permitted, as would calls from companies with which you have an existing business relationship, or those to whom you’ve provided express agreement in writing to receive their calls. However, if you ask a company with which you have an existing business relationship to place your number on its own do-not-call list, it must honor your request. You should keep a record of the date you make the request.

29. Are calls from political organizations or calls soliciting for charities covered?
Political solicitations are not covered by the TSR at all, since they are not included in its definition of “telemarketing.” Charities are not covered by the requirements of the national registry. However, if a third-party telemarketer is calling on behalf of a charity, a consumer may ask not to receive any more calls from, or on behalf of, that specific charity. If a third-party telemarketer calls again on behalf of that charity, the telemarketer may be subject to a fine of up to $16,000.

30. What about telephone surveys?
If the call is really for the sole purpose of conducting a survey, it is not covered. Only telemarketing calls are covered — that is, calls that solicit sales of goods or services. Callers purporting to take a survey, but also offering to sell goods or services, must comply with the National Do Not Call Registry.