2014 NFL Season

In this forum you can discuss anything from sports, news, or what ever is on your mind.

Moderator: SMLCHNG

SeattleParrotHead
Chewin' on a Honeysuckle Vine
Favorite Buffett Song: Island, 12v Man
Number of Concerts: 6
Favorite Boat Drink: Mai Tais @ Dukes

Re: 2014 NFL Season

Post by SeattleParrotHead »

The Seahawks offense didn't look too sharp early, but if they'd hung on to a couple of those 1st half passes it would have been a totally different game. Brady won't throw a single pass against the Seahawks' offense, he'll be playing against the Seahawk defense that held the Packers to 1 touchdown.
ImageImage

I know the voices in my head aren’t real, but sometimes they have really good ideas…..
SPH
CaptainP
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: OPH
Number of Concerts: 40
Favorite Boat Drink: Delicious Trappist Ales

Post by CaptainP »

Could this be the real reason that the Colts lost?

http://profootballmock.com/indianapolis ... l-costume/
lime rickie
God's Own Drunk
Favorite Buffett Song: Bama Breeze
Number of Concerts: 11
Favorite Boat Drink: lime rickey

Post by lime rickie »

Andrew Luck tweeted that he felt deflated about missing the Super Bowl. :lol: :lol: :lol:
You only have two options - havin' fun or freakin' out...

Wino you know
God's Own Drunk
Favorite Buffett Song: Far Side of the World & Somewhere Over China
Number of Concerts: 105
Favorite Boat Drink: Beaujalais Villages French Burgundy

Post by Wino you know »

I've never said this in years past, but this year I will be SO G.D. glad when the Super Bowl is over.
lime rickie
God's Own Drunk

Post by lime rickie »

Wino you know wrote:I've never said this in years past, but this year I will be SO G.D. glad when the Super Bowl is over.
Why? My team isn't in it but I'll still watch.

I'm kind of loving all the nonsense. Sheesh, Brady's press conference this afternoon was like a cheap version of Alec Baldwin's SNL Tim Schweddy skit.

LIPH
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 0
Favorite Boat Drink: my next beer, as long as it's not Blandshark

Post by LIPH »

I didn't see Brady's press conference, just the excerpts ESPN showed on Sports Center. I thought it was interesting when a reporter asked "Is Tom Brady a cheater?" he didn't immediately flat out say "no." His first reaction was a nervous sounding little school girlish giggle, then he paused, then he said "I don't believe so." You don't believe so? You don't know if you cheated or not? For a guy who's been around as long as he has and who's dealt with the media as much as he has, he didn't help himself today.
what I really mean . . . I wish you were here
lime rickie
God's Own Drunk

Post by lime rickie »

LIPH wrote:I didn't see Brady's press conference, just the excerpts ESPN showed on Sports Center. I thought it was interesting when a reporter asked "Is Tom Brady a cheater?" he didn't immediately flat out say "no." His first reaction was a nervous sounding little school girlish giggle, then he paused, then he said "I don't believe so." You don't believe so? You don't know if you cheated or not? For a guy who's been around as long as he has and who's dealt with the media as much as he has, he didn't help himself today.
No fan of Brady or the Patriots. But I am definitely enjoying the circus.

There's a bakery up here selling deflated football shaped sugar cookies. :lol:

LIPH
Last Man Standing

Post by LIPH »

I wonder what Giselle thinks of all this talk about how Brady likes the feel of soft balls. :o :lol:
CaptainP
Last Man Standing

Post by CaptainP »

Whether it had an effect on the game or not, the problem with the Patriots is that they attempt to circumvent the rules because they don't fear the consequences. The evidence seems pretty obvious that they attempted to get away with something.

From watching the press conferences from a psychological point of view, I think Brady was behind it. He seemed nervous, like he was making up his cover story as he went along.

Didn't change anything, they won't be punished, and the reason they do it is because it works. Another Super Bowl coming up!
Wino you know
God's Own Drunk
Favorite Buffett Song: Far Side of the World & Somewhere Over China
Number of Concerts: 105
Favorite Boat Drink: Beaujalais Villages French Burgundy

Post by Wino you know »

lime rickie wrote:Why? My team isn't in it but I'll still watch.
My team has been in it twice in 49 years and still I've always watched. (Except during my years of military deployment).
But this year people aren't going to enjoy it for what it's supposed to be.
If the Patriots lose everyone will say they can't win without cheating. (Despite HOW MANY previous Super Bowl victories)?
If the Patriots win everyone will say "Check Brady's balls."

It was fun for about 14 seconds.
To me, there are actually REAL issues I put ahead of this super-hyped crap.
People get their panties in a wad over what may or may not have happened in a football game, they get their panties in a wad over the kind of G.D. SHOES a female Senator wore on National TV, as if some mega-major castastrophe has occured, meanwhile this country is going to hell in a handbasket at Mach speed and everyone says we're fine.

That being said, I do absolutely appreciate your candid take on "deflate-gate" and wish more folks would just move on.

Sorry to vent, but enough is enough.
SeattleParrotHead
Chewin' on a Honeysuckle Vine
Favorite Buffett Song: Island, 12v Man
Number of Concerts: 6
Favorite Boat Drink: Mai Tais @ Dukes

Post by SeattleParrotHead »

CaptainP wrote:Whether it had an effect on the game or not, the problem with the Patriots is that they attempt to circumvent the rules because they don't fear the consequences. The evidence seems pretty obvious that they attempted to get away with something.

From watching the press conferences from a psychological point of view, I think Brady was behind it. He seemed nervous, like he was making up his cover story as he went along.

Didn't change anything, they won't be punished, and the reason they do it is because it works. Another Super Bowl coming up!
Brady is a proven liar, Belichick is a proven cheat.... what I'd like to know is why the official handling the ball before every snap didn't notice something....
ImageImage

I know the voices in my head aren’t real, but sometimes they have really good ideas…..
SPH
drunkpirate66
Here We Are
Favorite Buffett Song: Take Another Road
Number of Concerts: 67
Favorite Boat Drink: Beers.

Post by drunkpirate66 »

CaptainP wrote:Whether it had an effect on the game or not, the problem with the Patriots is that they attempt to circumvent the rules because they don't fear the consequences. The evidence seems pretty obvious that they attempted to get away with something.

My thoughts:

This is the most crazy and bizarre sports in the United States in recent memory. There are so many things that I just don't understand. I am not defending anyone or justifying anything throughout this post. I just can't wrap my head around this. Does anyone have accurate sequence of events?

The footballs were examined by the referees.
As per league rules, the footballs were watched, supposedly, by personnel until game time when they are walked out on the field and then "guarded" by an NFL representative.
The referees, who I assume are the same referees who checked and okayed the footballs before the game, handle the footballs throughout numerous offensive drives by the Patriots without noticing anything. Weird. So very, very weird.
The Patriots score 17 first half points.

At halftime the footballs were examined and filled within the league's legal psi.

Second half, with supposed legal footballs, the Patriots score 27 unanswered points. Tom Brady throws 2 touchdowns and plays nearly flawless football. :lol:

Okay. So if the referees were handling the footballs without noticing a problem how did they know to look for a problem?
If the footballs were checked before the game and they were supposedly watched, as per league standard, then when was the air left out? Did the referees not check and they are simply covering the as$es.
Were they filled using "heated" air of some sorts or illegally placed in a humidor so the psi would diminish before game time? :lol:
Is this just proof that the media can make 125,000,000 grown men talk about Brady's balls all day?

They kicked the living sh*t out of Indy. Are we going to call for a manager's suspension the next time a player corks a bat or doctors a baseball? Should Gaylord Perry be removed from Cooperstown? NFL players have worn illegal gloves that make catching football easier, illegal cleats, under armor that has been banned. I am convinced that this is only an issue because it is the Patriots. What Brad Johnson did before Super Bowl 37 was far more ridiculous but no one cares. How many QBs have stepped forward stating the have done similar if not more extreme things to their footballs before game time? Is this really an issue because John Harbaugh called Chuck Pagan and said something before hand because, if so, thank you because Brady looked far superior during the second half anyways. How did those doctored footballs make Andrew Luck s*ck and the Patriots defense so dominant? You could have given Legarrette Blount a gigantic beach ball to carry or a 20 pound rock and he still would've scored.

Still not clear how it happened. Again, no excuses. But, really, I don't see how if, as reported, the footballs were cleared. From that point on no one should have had access to them. The whole thing is simply ridiculous.
the hit and run is as good as any religion around this time of year . . .
lime rickie
God's Own Drunk

Post by lime rickie »

No.

The refs did a cursory/routine check approx 2 hours before game time. Balls were in each teams' control thereafter.

Refs picking up the balls between plays is not the same as the subtle changes that a QB can leverage.

Patriots probably would have won anyway. But 11/12? :lol: :lol: :lol: Instead of cementing their legacy, Belicheat and Tom Fraidy gambled and 'won': a $25k fine; some suspensions - probably not; some lost draft picks - probably. And a forever tainted reputation. Forever.

And that makes me cackle like the witch I am. For every whiny little Pats fan who said the Giants were lucky? I don't think so, I think it was a team effort of no one giving up. But lucky? I'll take two times being lucky over this any day. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :P

CaptainP
Last Man Standing

Post by CaptainP »

drunkpirate66 wrote:

My thoughts:

This is the most crazy and bizarre sports in the United States in recent memory. There are so many things that I just don't understand. I am not defending anyone or justifying anything throughout this post. I just can't wrap my head around this. Does anyone have accurate sequence of events?

The footballs were examined by the referees.
As per league rules, the footballs were watched, supposedly, by personnel until game time when they are walked out on the field and then "guarded" by an NFL representative. They are actually examined, then given to the sidelines where the equipment manager takes care of them. Until Sunday, they never had reason to "guard" them. I haven't heard a word before your rant that the footballs are guarded. I've heard, in fact, the opposite...the balls are released to the equipment manager after they are approved.
The referees, who I assume are the same referees who checked and okayed the footballs before the game, handle the footballs throughout numerous offensive drives by the Patriots without noticing anything. Weird. So very, very weird.
The Patriots score 17 first half points. So the refs didn't notice the subtle differences that a QB and WR would notice when clutching a ball. The refs aren't trying to throw or catch a spiral.

At halftime the footballs were examined and filled within the league's legal psi.

Second half, with supposed legal footballs, the Patriots score 27 unanswered points. Tom Brady throws 2 touchdowns and plays nearly flawless football. :lol: Yep. He's good. Which is the puzzling thing...why would he feel the need to cheat? He's good enough to win without.

Okay. So if the referees were handling the footballs without noticing a problem how did they know to look for a problem? It was pointed out to them by a Colts player AFTER intercepting a pass. Since each team uses their own balls, this was the first Colts player to have access to any of the balls.
If the footballs were checked before the game and they were supposedly watched, as per league standard, then when was the air left out? Did the referees not check and they are simply covering the as$es.
Were they filled using "heated" air of some sorts or illegally placed in a humidor so the psi would diminish before game time? :lol:How they did it is of no consequence. They did it. The fact the Colts balls were still legal should tell you this.
Is this just proof that the media can make 125,000,000 grown men talk about Brady's balls all day? It's what we all dream of.

They kicked the living sh*t out of Indy. In the end, it doesn't matter. They'll be in the Bowl. Unless someone gets suspended for this (Brady or Belichek), then it doesn't matter. These guys (and Kraft) would just laugh off any fine because of the end result. It didn't make a difference in the game, but it could have. When the decision was made to do this, the score was 0-0. The final score is irrelevant in this discussion. Are we going to call for a manager's suspension the next time a player corks a bat or doctors a baseball? (Do they have prior offenses for cheating?) Should Gaylord Perry be removed from Cooperstown? NFL players have worn illegal gloves that make catching football easier, illegal cleats, under armor that has been banned. I am convinced that this is only an issue because it is the Patriots. Mostly, yes. What Brad Johnson did before Super Bowl 37 was far more ridiculous but no one cares. Because he wasn't caught. How many QBs have stepped forward stating the have done similar if not more extreme things to their footballs before game time? Because they weren't caught. Direct your anger at D'Qwell Jackson. He's the one who brought it to the ref's attention. Is this really an issue because John Harbaugh called Chuck Pagan and said something before hand because, if so, thank you because Brady looked far superior during the second half anyways. How did those doctored footballs make Andrew Luck s*ck and the Patriots defense so dominant? You could have given Legarrette Blount a gigantic beach ball to carry or a 20 pound rock and he still would've scored. Yes, it was a dominant performance. Doesn't change INTENT. I covered that earlier.

Still not clear how it happened. Again, no excuses. But, really, I don't see how if, as reported, the footballs were cleared. From that point on no one should have had access to them. The whole thing is simply ridiculous. Remember a week ago when you were attempting to taunt me about the Dez Bryant catch? (something about defending what I obviously knew was wrong?) What goes 'round comes 'round. You're so cute when you try to defend your man-crush Brady.
Again, Brady is as smooth in front of a camera as any football player I've ever seen. He was clearly uncomfortable taking questions on this subject. Anyone who understands psychology would tell you his answers and body language suggest he was covering. .
CaptainP
Last Man Standing

Post by CaptainP »

Me, I'm glad the Patriots got caught doing this. It's taken the media attention away from the horrific last 3 minutes of the Packers/Seahawks game.
LIPH
Last Man Standing

Post by LIPH »

Belichek said he had no knowledge of this. Whether you believe him or not, I don't because I don't think there's anything that goes on around that team that he has no knowledge of, let's look at it this way. When the scandal broke about the Saints defense being paid bounties to knock players out of games it was supposed to be the defensive coordinator who was running the bounty program, Sean Payton had no knowledge of it. Allegedly. Payton was suspended for a full season. If the NFL's investigation turns up evidence that the footballs were deliberately underinflated and Goodell, or whoever, decides to issue fines and/or suspensions, how can you not suspend Belichek for at least the entire 2015 season? This would make the Patriots repeat offenders under his watch so if for no other reason than consistency he would have to get the same punishment, or more, as Payton got.
drunkpirate66
Here We Are

Post by drunkpirate66 »

Should Mike Zimmer and/or Ron Rivera be suspended for illegally tampering with footballs during game play as well?

http://espn.go.com/blog/minnesota-vikin ... rs-vikings

I don't think so.

Should Terry Bradshaw give back his Super Bowl rings?

http://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comments/2t ... nfl_teams/

I don't think so.

Want more examples?
CaptainP
Last Man Standing

Post by CaptainP »

drunkpirate66 wrote:Should Mike Zimmer and/or Ron Rivera be suspended for illegally tampering with footballs during game play as well?

I don't think so.

I don't think so.

Want more examples?
Not necessary. They didn't get caught red-handed.
drunkpirate66
Here We Are

Post by drunkpirate66 »

CaptainP wrote:Me, I'm glad the Patriots got caught doing this. It's taken the media attention away from the horrific last 3 minutes of the Packers/Seahawks game.
Caught doing what?

What exactly happened? They played with under inflated footballs after they were inspected by league officials who then handled the same footballs they inspected and cleared throughout the 1st half. The Patriots then scored 27 unanswered points with footballs in the 2nd half that were ALSO cleared by the same officials.

Seems to me the league needs to do a better job of equipment regulation.
drunkpirate66
Here We Are

Post by drunkpirate66 »

CaptainP wrote:
drunkpirate66 wrote:Should Mike Zimmer and/or Ron Rivera be suspended for illegally tampering with footballs during game play as well?

I don't think so.

I don't think so.

Want more examples?
Not necessary. They didn't get caught red-handed.
Rivera was caught in game. Or at least his personnel was. Don't get more red then that. There is even footage of it happening. Evidence. You've heard of that, right? So suspension? 1 year?