Sail on Robin Williams

In this forum you can discuss anything from sports, news, or what ever is on your mind.

Moderator: SMLCHNG

big john
Under My Lone Palm
Favorite Buffett Song: One Particular Harbour
Number of Concerts: 30
Favorite Boat Drink: Oh just give me a beer

Sail on Robin Williams

Post by big john »

Last edited by big john on August 11, 2014 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Who's got the rum?
tigzoe
On a Salty Piece of Land
Favorite Buffett Song: It's My Job
Number of Concerts: 7
Favorite Boat Drink: Anything with alcohol

Re: Sail on Robin Williams

Post by tigzoe »

Fox is reporting that it was suicide. I am shocked, but I am not surprised since the last I had heard, he had a lot going on...and none of it was good. Sail on Mork!
"That which is around me does not affect my mood; my mood affects that which is around me."
lime rickie
God's Own Drunk
Favorite Buffett Song: Bama Breeze
Number of Concerts: 11
Favorite Boat Drink: lime rickey

Post by lime rickie »

Very sad.

~/)~/)~/)~
You only have two options - havin' fun or freakin' out...

carolinapiratechik
Half-baked cookies in the oven
Favorite Buffett Song: Coast of Carolina
Number of Concerts: 10
Favorite Boat Drink: I'm a beer girl

Post by carolinapiratechik »

Such a shame. Sail on, Robin.
My pal, Groovy
Save a life, adopt a pet
Adopted Aug. 11, 2010
http://carolinapoodlerescue.org/
CaptainP
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: OPH
Number of Concerts: 40
Favorite Boat Drink: Delicious Trappist Ales

Post by CaptainP »

Sail on, Mork.

His life has been tough over the last few years, but never expected suicide.
lime rickie
God's Own Drunk
Favorite Buffett Song: Bama Breeze
Number of Concerts: 11
Favorite Boat Drink: lime rickey

Post by lime rickie »

Moscow on the Hudson
Good Will Hunting
Insomnia

And good lawd, he was friking funny...

You only have two options - havin' fun or freakin' out...

LIPH
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 0
Favorite Boat Drink: my next beer, as long as it's not Blandshark

Post by LIPH »

I'm probably in the minority here but I thought the show he was in last year with Sarah Michelle Gellar, The Crazy Ones, was great. The minority in the country too since it was cancelled.
what I really mean . . . I wish you were here
SeattleParrotHead
Chewin' on a Honeysuckle Vine
Favorite Buffett Song: Island, 12v Man
Number of Concerts: 6
Favorite Boat Drink: Mai Tais @ Dukes

Post by SeattleParrotHead »

Williams and DeNiro both deserved Oscars for this one...

RIP Mork...... :(

When "Hook" first came out, we took our then 4 yo daughter Megan to see it.
When "Peter" first discovers his inner "Pan", Megan shouted out "Hey, he looks just like Mork!"
The entire theater erupted in laughter.....
Last edited by SeattleParrotHead on August 12, 2014 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage

I know the voices in my head aren’t real, but sometimes they have really good ideas…..
SPH
surfpirate
Here We Are
Favorite Buffett Song: African Friend
Number of Concerts: 98

Post by surfpirate »

RIP Robin Williams. Nanu Nanu, sir. Nanu Nanu.
"There are no stupid questions. But there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots."
BNCRITTERS.COM | TWITTER | FACEBOOK | SURF SHOP |
Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

Such a tremendous and tragic loss. Early on, I cut my teeth on the likes of George Carlin and Richard Pryor, then came Steve Martin and Robin Williams and the heyday of Saturday Night Live. Bar none, Robin Williams was always one of my very favorite late night talk show guests. Yes, he could be manic and over the top at times but few had his gift for improvisation. I don't think I laughed so hard at any other late night talk show guest than I did Robin Williams. I also recall watching this endlessly back when VHS was new.

A1A-BJB
Southeast of disorder
Favorite Buffett Song: Too many to pick
Number of Concerts: 30
Favorite Boat Drink: All kinds of rum

Post by A1A-BJB »

OMG, what a shock.

The first movie of his that came to mind for me right now: Good Morning, Vietnam:

". . .Can't get no gyro, smokin' in a bar in Cairo. . ."
msu#1
Behind Door #3

Post by msu#1 »

Hook!

Depression is real and it sucks
Lake Erie Pirate scientist
ScarletB
On a Salty Piece of Land
Favorite Buffett Song: OPH BEST...SONG...EVER!!
Number of Concerts: 12
Favorite Boat Drink: Chill the rose

Post by ScarletB »

Conolulu summed it up perfectly on FB, I feel like I lost a friend.
I just loved him
GW - 7/19
Great Northern MOTM - 7/20-21
Hershey Labor Day Weekend Show - 8/29
MOTM - Oct 28
dnw
Last Man Standing

Post by dnw »

Sail on, Robin.

Debbie
MammaBear
I Love the Now!

Post by MammaBear »

I feel so sorry for his family....however, the problem here is, he had the ability to pay for any high cost rehab and the connections to the best docs and facilities around. What this says to our kids/teenagers/young adults is...there ISN'T hope...no matter how far in life you get- you WILL NOT win. My opinion is not a popular one but my first reaction was ... coward.....In this case (in my opinion) those that fight this are the real heroes.

Perhaps this is the anger response, but as someone who is able to influence young people via his art, he showed these kids it's really not worth it. This just blew my whole lecture to my son trying to explain why his friend committed suicide....Robin Williams had absolutely no responsibility to anyone in this world, but those lectures regarding suicide of family and close friends will now need to be different.
ScarletB
On a Salty Piece of Land
Favorite Buffett Song: OPH BEST...SONG...EVER!!
Favorite Boat Drink: Chill the rose

Post by ScarletB »

MammaBear wrote:I feel so sorry for his family....however, the problem here is, he had the ability to pay for any high cost rehab and the connections to the best docs and facilities around. What this says to our kids/teenagers/young adults is...there ISN'T hope...no matter how far in life you get- you WILL NOT win. My opinion is not a popular one but my first reaction was ... coward.....In this case (in my opinion) those that fight this are the real heroes.

Perhaps this is the anger response, but as someone who is able to influence young people via his art, he showed these kids it's really not worth it. This just blew my whole lecture to my son trying to explain why his friend committed suicide....Robin Williams had absolutely no responsibility to anyone in this world, but those lectures regarding suicide of family and close friends will now need to be different.
The reality is that some people DON'T make it no matter how hard they try. He's been in rehab and just recently entered it again, he was trying but sadly it would seem the darkness was just too strong. People who are highly talented and creative often battle the worst demons. He struggled with addiction for most of his adult life and without the effort that he put in to overcome it I think this day would have come a lot sooner.
GW - 7/19
Great Northern MOTM - 7/20-21
Hershey Labor Day Weekend Show - 8/29
MOTM - Oct 28
FunkHouse9
At the Bama Breeze
Favorite Buffett Song: Nautical Wheelers
Number of Concerts: 23
Favorite Boat Drink: Crown Royal & Ginger Ale

Post by FunkHouse9 »

While it certainly wasn't his best role, as a little boy, Popeye the Sailor Man was one of my favorites!

Maybe it's because in spite of all the work we do, it's the child in us we really value.
Dr.Corona
Party at the End of the World
Favorite Buffett Song: Apocalypso..no..Semi-True Story..no.Creola..no..REGGAE ACCIDENT!!
Number of Concerts: 6
Favorite Boat Drink: As if you HAD to ask!!

Post by Dr.Corona »

ScarletB wrote:
MammaBear wrote:I feel so sorry for his family....however, the problem here is, he had the ability to pay for any high cost rehab and the connections to the best docs and facilities around. What this says to our kids/teenagers/young adults is...there ISN'T hope...no matter how far in life you get- you WILL NOT win. My opinion is not a popular one but my first reaction was ... coward.....In this case (in my opinion) those that fight this are the real heroes.

The reality is that some people DON'T make it no matter how hard they try. He's been in rehab and just recently entered it again, he was trying but sadly it would seem the darkness was just too strong. People who are highly talented and creative often battle the worst demons. He struggled with addiction for most of his adult life and without the effort that he put in to overcome it I think this day would have come a lot sooner.
You nailed it Scarlett! Never could wrap his arms around it. He was a ONE OF A KIND!
Corona by day, Corona by night, any old time is just alright!Image
SchoolGirlHeart
Last Man Standing

Post by SchoolGirlHeart »

Stunned and sad beyond words.

We lost my cousin to depression and alcohol. Calling Stephen and Robin cowards is like calling someone who lost the battle with cancer a coward for not trying harder with chemo or radiation. Sometimes you can't go any farther, no matter how hard you try. I am beyond sad for Robin, and for his family and friends who no doubt tried to help with everything they had. I've been in their shoes and nothing could be more painful.

Sail on, funny man. I hope you have found the peace that escaped you here. :cry: :cry: :cry:
Carry on as you know they would want you to do. ~~JB, dedication to Tim Russert

Take your time
Find your passion
Life goes on until it ends
Don’t stop living
Until then

~~Mac McAnally
MammaBear
I Love the Now!

Post by MammaBear »

ScarletB wrote:

I really wonder why that is? My son's friend who committed suicide in high school was a wonderful young man, an extremely talented musician and from all accounts lovable and friendly.