USA Eagles vs. All Blacks

In this forum you can discuss anything from sports, news, or what ever is on your mind.

Moderators: SMLCHNG, Saltx3

Rabbitz
I Love the Now!
Favorite Buffett Song: Growing Older
Number of Concerts: 2
Favorite Boat Drink: Rhum and Pineapple

USA Eagles vs. All Blacks

Post by Rabbitz »

It is a historic day for rugby, with this match being played between hosts the USA Eagles and New Zealand’s All Blacks at the iconic Soldier Field in Chicago.

Is the game getting any coverage in the US?

If you want to see the best team in the world, playing one of the most physical games in the world - it starts in about 15 minutes!!
Always be yourself
Unless you can be Batman
Then always be Batman

Bicycle Bill
At the Bama Breeze
Favorite Buffett Song: He Went to Paris
Number of Concerts: 1
Favorite Boat Drink: Anything with rum and pineapple juice!

Re: USA Eagles vs. All Blacks

Post by Bicycle Bill »

OH MY GOD!!!

How in the name of all that is holy can you be so insensitive as to have a team called the 'All Blacks'??  Do you have any idea how racist that name is??  I'm surprised that the PC Police Force, led by Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, et al haven't chartered a jet to the Windy City in order to protest and shame you all into changing the name to the 'Fuzzy Wombats' or something like that.
(/sarcasm)
-"BB"-
"I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead."
"Some of it's magic, and some of it's tragic, but I've had a good life all the way."

Rabbitz
I Love the Now!

Post by Rabbitz »

:)

Funnily enough, you're not the first to ask that.

Our Kiwi brothers tell us it isn't a "Washington-Redskins-esque" reference to the Maori members of the team. Apparently it simply refers to their team colours - All Black.

Even if it is an un-PC name, the reverence in which the black jersey is held and the pride that comes with being selected to wear it means that it has taken on a status of its own.

Even on this side of the ditch (i.e. in Australia) the All Blacks are respected.

As for the "Fuzzy Wombats" that would be an even greater insult - Wombats are Australian, the All Blacks are New Zealanders. I guess it is a bit like the US vs. Canada (but not quite).
Always be yourself
Unless you can be Batman
Then always be Batman

Nighthawk
I gotta go where it's warm
Favorite Buffett Song: Defying Gravity
Number of Concerts: 29
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum with a splash of coke

Post by Nighthawk »

Bicycle Bill wrote:OH MY GOD!!!

How in the name of all that is holy can you be so insensitive as to have a team called the 'All Blacks'??  Do you have any idea how racist that name is??  I'm surprised that the PC Police Force, led by Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, et al haven't chartered a jet to the Windy City in order to protest and shame you all into changing the name to the 'Fuzzy Wombats' or something like that.
(/sarcasm)
-"BB"-

Jesse Jackass and his bafoons are headquartered here in lovely Chiraq. Though I highly doubt he would be able to get access to the field because........
Did you hear the one about me being a punk?
Did you hear the one about me being a drunk?
Did you hear the one about me losing my nerve?
Or how I'm just another f**** sheep in the herd?
Did you hear the one about me giving a s***?
Cause if I ever did I don't remember it.

Rabbitz
I Love the Now!

Post by Rabbitz »

Well all credit goes to the Eagles.

As the 18th IRB ranked side they put up a credible display against the world no.1 side.

The Eagles never gave up and never dropped their heads. The Kiwi's know they've been in a scrap.

Sure the Eagles were well beaten, but as an amateur team facing a fully professional squad they didn't look over awed, just out played.

Well Done.

For the record:
USA 6
New Zealand 74
Always be yourself
Unless you can be Batman
Then always be Batman

Nighthawk
I gotta go where it's warm
Favorite Buffett Song: Defying Gravity
Number of Concerts: 29
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum with a splash of coke

Post by Nighthawk »

I did see a lil thing on the Chiraqi news this evening about the All Blacks...... They did have some sorta little ritual thingy dance they did that was kind of amusing.
Did you hear the one about me being a punk?
Did you hear the one about me being a drunk?
Did you hear the one about me losing my nerve?
Or how I'm just another f**** sheep in the herd?
Did you hear the one about me giving a s***?
Cause if I ever did I don't remember it.

big john
Under My Lone Palm
Favorite Buffett Song: One Particular Harbour
Number of Concerts: 30
Favorite Boat Drink: Oh just give me a beer

Post by big john »

Nighthawk wrote:I did see a lil thing on the Chiraqi news this evening about the All Blacks...... They did have some sorta little ritual thingy dance they did that was kind of amusing.
It's called a "haka". It's a Maori war dance. As a former rugby player I've seen it a lot of times. I've even got
an "All Blacks" t-shirt somewhere in my house. :pirate:
Who's got the rum?

big john
Under My Lone Palm
Favorite Buffett Song: One Particular Harbour
Number of Concerts: 30
Favorite Boat Drink: Oh just give me a beer

Post by big john »

I did watch some of the game. The Eagles just didn't have the speed of the All Blacks. :pirate:
Who's got the rum?

Rabbitz
I Love the Now!

Post by Rabbitz »

big john wrote:I did watch some of the game. The Eagles just didn't have the speed of the All Blacks. :pirate:
The Eagles had the All Blacks on the back foot in the first 7 or 8 minutes. While they weren't dominant they held their own.

The US players were positive into contact and held good structures - as you say they weren't as quick to the breakdown or in broken play (Rumbling as the US commentators termed it. NFL term?).

Keep in mind that the Eagles are an amateur team, the All Blacks the World No.1 professional team.

I know it is hard to accept when your national team is beaten - but in truth they had a go, and were not disgraced.
Always be yourself
Unless you can be Batman
Then always be Batman

Rabbitz
I Love the Now!

Post by Rabbitz »

Nighthawk wrote:I did see a lil thing on the Chiraqi news this evening about the All Blacks...... They did have some sorta little ritual thingy dance they did that was kind of amusing.
Let me tell you, when you 15 islander boys ranging from 220 lb to 270 lb doing the Haka with feeling -it ain't amusing.

The Haka is essentially a challenge, an invitation to war (there is a lot more to it but for simplicity sake). It is taken very seriously. Teams like the All Blacks use it to fire themselves up and intimidate the opposition.

The other Pacific Islander nations (Samoa, Tonga, Fiji) have their own versions and it is spine chilling to see them lined up face to face and issuing the challenge to each other - it has come to blows before today.
Always be yourself
Unless you can be Batman
Then always be Batman

Bicycle Bill
At the Bama Breeze
Favorite Buffett Song: He Went to Paris
Number of Concerts: 1
Favorite Boat Drink: Anything with rum and pineapple juice!

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Rabbitz wrote:
Let me tell you, when you 15 islander boys ranging from 220 lb to 270 lb doing the Haka with feeling -it ain't amusing.

The Haka is essentially a challenge, an invitation to war (there is a lot more to it but for simplicity sake). It is taken very seriously. Teams like the All Blacks use it to fire themselves up and intimidate the opposition.

The other Pacific Islander nations (Samoa, Tonga, Fiji) have their own versions and it is spine chilling to see them lined up face to face and issuing the challenge to each other - it has come to blows before today.
I have seen hakas (not live and in person, of course) and you are correct.  I am truly impressed to see something like this, and as long as it remains within the realm of gamesmanship I'm OK with it; it's just the same posturing you see at prizefight weigh-ins only on a more elaborate scale.  It is too bad, though, that some people get caught up in it and take it too far.
-"BB"-
"I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead."
"Some of it's magic, and some of it's tragic, but I've had a good life all the way."

Glen123
Favorite Buffett Song: Another Saturday Night
Number of Concerts: 5

Post by Glen123 »

I love USA Eagles....