Hawaii vacation question

This is a travelogue area for places to visit, stay, eat, etc...

Moderators: SMLCHNG, Saltx3

PHnSC
On a Salty Piece of Land
Number of Concerts: 32

Hawaii vacation question

Post by PHnSC »

I am planning a trip to Hawaii early next year. The group I am going with would like to stay on just one island, but cant decide which island would be the best to stay for a week. Which one would have the most to do, best sight seeing, excursions, things like that. if anyone has some thoughts that might help us decide which one to stay on, it would be greatly appreciated.

land_shark3
Here We Are
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by land_shark3 »

I've only been to Oahu. Plenty of touristy stuff there; memorials, Diamond Head, beaches, etc.
It's your world, I'm just living in it! :pirate:

Brown Eyed Girl
Nibblin' on Oreos

Post by Brown Eyed Girl »

There are several threads about Hawaii in this forum, plus a wealth of knowledge from board members...ETP, SGH, many others plus some members who live in Hawaii. I think you'll get plenty of help. :wink: 8)

hawaiiboy
Behind Door #3
Number of Concerts: 4

Post by hawaiiboy »

HG and I really enjoy Oahu, I haven't been to
any of the others. I am sure that no matter which
Island you choose you will have a great time.
No act of kindness
no matter how small
is ever wasted

SchoolGirlHeart
Last Man Standing

Post by SchoolGirlHeart »

Did somebody say "Hawaii"?? 8)

It depends what you want to do.....

Oahu is somewhat more touristy. Maui has tourist "stuff" but is a little more laid back and not as crowded. Depends on the time of year, too. In the winter, humpback whales come to Hawaiian waters, and Maui is the best place to see them.

Oahu is more crowded and has more traffic, but there's Waikiki (VERY touristy, and overrated, IMHO, but some people like it for night life), the Arizona Memorial, Iolani Palace, Bishop Museum, Diamond Head, the Polynesian Cultural Center, and the North Shore (again, depending on time of year.... very tame in summer, but big wave surfing to watch in winter). The windward side of Oahu is gorgeous.

I've only been to Maui once, but there's plenty of touristy stuff to do in West Maui, including restaurants and night life, plus there's the road to Hana, and Haleakala, a 10,000+ foot dormant volcano where you can see sunrise. And in winter, WHALES.

It boils down to what you WANT. Some people don't like Oahu at all, but I like it. On either island, you can find an uncrowded beach to plunk down on, or go snorkeling/diving.
Carry on as you know they would want you to do. ~~JB, dedication to Tim Russert

Take your time
Find your passion
Life goes on until it ends
Don’t stop living
Until then

~~Mac McAnally

daddymention
I Love the Now!
Favorite Buffett Song: Tryin' to Reason With Hurricane Season & Cowboy in the Jungle
Number of Concerts: 31
Favorite Boat Drink: Pizza Port Carlsbad- Poor Man's IPA & Zombies

Post by daddymention »

I would recommend Kauai...we were there in April and it was wonderful...We stayed in Hanalei Bay...and it was beautiful...and we did lots of snorkeling...I know you would have a great time there.

1ST CONCERT: SAT. AUG 6, 1988 - PACIFIC AMPHITHEATRE, COSTA MESA, CA - LOGE 11 SEC 2 ROW U SEAT 42 $20.35
SHOWS: DAVID-31, STEFANIA-27, SHANE-11, EMMA KATE-7
PARROT HEAD SINCE 1985

Dutch Harbor PH
Under My Lone Palm
Number of Concerts: 35
Favorite Boat Drink: GROG!!!!!
Location: Not the end of the earth, but on a clear day you can see it

Re: Hawaii vacation question

Post by Dutch Harbor PH »

PHnSC wrote:I am planning a trip to Hawaii early next year. The group I am going with would like to stay on just one island, but cant decide which island would be the best to stay for a week. Which one would have the most to do, best sight seeing, excursions, things like that. if anyone has some thoughts that might help us decide which one to stay on, it would be greatly appreciated.
I agree with SGH, It does depnd on what ya wanta do..... If you are worried about not being able to fill the day and night with cool experiences...Don't worry...just get over there...any island will be fine.

Now with that said, I do have opionions....

Ohau.... Not my favorite, because I spent most of my shore time on Waikiki and hotel street walking back to the liberty launch....all those pretty girls and no time to spend with them!

Kauai...... Cool hiking and hanging out...very mellow place. Good resorts and golfing etc. Wet place (errrr Wettest place......)

Hawaii (Big Island).... Lots of night life on the kona side. Lots of things to do. Diving, Snokling, Cultural, Hiking (volcanos are way cool!!!!!) golfing, swimming, .........

Maui....And my personal favorite.....The island has 2 sides (Kahului wet side windward, and Lahaina, the dryer side) World class wind surfing and kite surfing (cool to watch as well as participate), Snorkling, Diving (my favorite is the Backside of Monokini in the Winter with the Whales), Road to Hana (remember Hana is basically a geographical place...not particularly special...it is the journey there that is the cool thing)...and the road from Hana the rest of the way around...Go visit Charles Lindberg's grave.... Hanging out on the balconey above Front street Lahiana at the pioneer inn....Cultural stuff here too....(oh yeah...Jimmy's favorite surf shop/instructor works here....)

Any, Just go....Ya can't go wrong....!
Attitude: The difference between ordeal and adventure
Scars are Tattoos with really good stories
No matter where ya go....There you are.
Come Back, Come Back.....to the South Bering Sea Islands....

ToplessRideFL
Changing Channels

Post by ToplessRideFL »

PHnSC wrote:I am planning a trip to Hawaii early next year. The group I am going with would like to stay on just one island, but cant decide which island would be the best to stay for a week..
Its been a few years...but when I was in oahu on business / pleasure I visited the other islands by hopping on an early flight. (Aloha Air...or Hawaiian Air I think) As I recall it was under $50 to do a one day deal. Recal 6 am flight to Kauai...with a return of 10p. Included a rental car. It was a great way to see the other islands.

In Kauai I saw the Napali(sp?) Coast, snorkled in the Tunnels and saw Hanalei (think Puff the Magic Dragon)...then hit public Beach bath House to shower and clean up for a wonderful dinner! It was a FULL but awesome day!
MOST VALUABLE PLAYER OF BN FEUD VII

mrsmcg
We are the People our Parents Warned us

Post by mrsmcg »

My guess is that Maui will be the best spot for your group. My personal choice is Kauai ... it's smaller, more laid-back, and more "old-Hawaii". However, the best choice all around for a new group would be Maui. Be sure and stay in Kaanapali ... many reasonable time shares, or if you want a hotel, there are plenty of those as well ... however, they can be expensive. (As is everything in the islands). Pm me if you want more info.
Betty.
That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

jonesbeach10
Here We Are
Favorite Buffett Song: Weather is Here Wish You Were Beautiful
Number of Concerts: 9
Location: Living with my feet in DC and my head in the cool blue north

Post by jonesbeach10 »

Maui: Maui has the activity that the aforementioned Oahu has, but it is much quieter. You have Haleakala, which is gorgeous on a clear day and the Road to Hana is supposed to be really good as well.
Lahaina is a neat little town as well. If you go in winter you'll get to see the whales, which should be fun. Plus, you can take a day trip to the other islands. If you're quick, you can do Oahu in one day. Pearl Harbor is not going to take all day. Just be warned that Honolulu has the rush hour traffic that every major city in America has so if you have to go through that area to catch your flight back, give yourself some extra time. The North Shore is beautiful, even if the waves aren't crashing (and if you go in winter, they will be)

Kauai: Kauai is probably the most beautiful island but it is smaller and there isn't much to do. The Napaali Coast is beautiful and you can hike it. Nearby Hanalei Bay is gorgeous too. The fern grotto in Wailea (?) is overrated. I remember getting there and thinking, "This is it?" Waiamea Canyon, deemed the "Grand Canyon of the Pacific" by Mark Twain is a must as well

Oahu: See Maui description above

I've never been to the Big Island, something to save for next trip.

Where you stay is based on what your group wants to do. I've been to three islands. Kauai is generally quiet, Oahu generally active, and Maui is a nice mix between the two. Have phun! 8)

Sometimes more than others,
we see who and what and where we are,
I'm just a one man band,
With my feet in the sand,
Tonight I just need my guitar

nutmeg
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: Barefoot Children (this week)
Number of Concerts: 10

Post by nutmeg »

We stayed on Maui and the Big Island (Hawaii) when we went a year or so ago.

I liked the Big Island. There was so much to do and the Volcano park is incredible. I really liked Hilo (which is on the opposite side of the island from Kona and most of the tourist places) Maui was a little to busy for me. Lots of lines at restaurants and the traffic was unbelievable....

However, you have to take into consideratin the needs of the group. We have a tendency to like small intimate places. However I find that most people find big resorts more enjoyable....
Friends Walk Together in Life's Garden
ImageImageImage
http://heartofmichiganrescue.com/

PHAW Webmistress
Parrothead Pimpette

Post by PHAW Webmistress »

Well it hasn't been mentioned yet - but we stayed on Molokai for 7 days in May and it was absolute heaven - however, if you're looking for touristy stuff and night life don't stay there. If you want solitude and beauty Molokai is awesome. We did take a day boat over to Lahaina and also spent most of a day on Oahu.

As has been said - just depends on your goal and wants for the week :D :D

cheetogyrl
If we weren't all crazy ...
Favorite Buffett Song: Coast of Marseilles
Number of Concerts: 8
Favorite Boat Drink: Rumrunner

Post by cheetogyrl »

MAUI!!!!!! I just got back from a trip split between there and the Big Island. We went to the Big Island first and stayed in Kona. It was OK but I was pretty disappointed in the night life there. It was like someone rolled up the sidewalks at 9:00! We had a good time going to the summit of Mauna Kea (where it's FREEZING), ATV's in Waipi'o Valley and going to the Volcano park BUT it's a lot of sitting around in the car. Everything is spread out over the island so it takes a long time to do anything. The Big Island is not the real tropical island with palm trees that you think of either. Most of it is black lava fields (although Waipi'o Valley is green and gorgeous). There is also a lack of beaches compared to the other islands (I've been to Maui, Big Island and Oahu).

Check out the other Maui thread on here. There's a lot of info about Maui. We stay at the Ka'anapali Beach Hotel which we absolutely love. It's not a real fancy-dancy place but the rooms are great, the staff is excellent, and the Tiki Bar ROCKS! I wouldn't stay anywhere else. There are some great things to do on Maui....my personal fav being the zipline on Haleakala! You get to hang like laundry and zip across 6 different lines...each getting bigger and bigger. The last zip is a huge rush! They also have a great ATV ride and the best darn cocktail cruise ever on the Kaulana! It starts out a little slow but with a little bit of alcohol and some live Buffettesque entertainment, it gets rockin' by the time you pull back in the dock. That's another must every time we go. And a plus is there is some great night life in Lahaina!

Oahu is way too crowded and commercial in my opinion. It's like staying in L.A. in a nice tropical setting unless you get on the North Shore. It's OK but I would definitely put Maui over all the other islands I've been to. :D

cheetogyrl
If we weren't all crazy ...
Favorite Buffett Song: Coast of Marseilles
Number of Concerts: 8
Favorite Boat Drink: Rumrunner

Post by cheetogyrl »

p.s. I also wouldn't recommend island hopping....we found that we lost a complete day by going to 2 different islands messing around with security and rental cars at the airport. I'd much have rather sat by the pool drinking Lava Flows all day!

MA_Buffett_Fan23
Chewin' on a Honeysuckle Vine
Number of Concerts: 27

Post by MA_Buffett_Fan23 »

PHnSC wrote:I am planning a trip to Hawaii early next year. The group I am going with would like to stay on just one island, but cant decide which island would be the best to stay for a week. Which one would have the most to do, best sight seeing, excursions, things like that. if anyone has some thoughts that might help us decide which one to stay on, it would be greatly appreciated.
You plan on taking me right?!?!?! :D :P :wink:

jonesbeach10
Here We Are
Favorite Buffett Song: Weather is Here Wish You Were Beautiful
Number of Concerts: 9
Location: Living with my feet in DC and my head in the cool blue north

Post by jonesbeach10 »

cheetogyrl wrote:MAUI!!!!!! I just got back from a trip split between there and the Big Island. We went to the Big Island first and stayed in Kona. It was OK but I was pretty disappointed in the night life there. It was like someone rolled up the sidewalks at 9:00! We had a good time going to the summit of Mauna Kea (where it's FREEZING), ATV's in Waipi'o Valley and going to the Volcano park BUT it's a lot of sitting around in the car. Everything is spread out over the island so it takes a long time to do anything. The Big Island is not the real tropical island with palm trees that you think of either. Most of it is black lava fields (although Waipi'o Valley is green and gorgeous). There is also a lack of beaches compared to the other islands (I've been to Maui, Big Island and Oahu).

Check out the other Maui thread on here. There's a lot of info about Maui. We stay at the Ka'anapali Beach Hotel which we absolutely love. It's not a real fancy-dancy place but the rooms are great, the staff is excellent, and the Tiki Bar ROCKS! I wouldn't stay anywhere else. There are some great things to do on Maui....my personal fav being the zipline on Haleakala! You get to hang like laundry and zip across 6 different lines...each getting bigger and bigger. The last zip is a huge rush! They also have a great ATV ride and the best darn cocktail cruise ever on the Kaulana! It starts out a little slow but with a little bit of alcohol and some live Buffettesque entertainment, it gets rockin' by the time you pull back in the dock. That's another must every time we go. And a plus is there is some great night life in Lahaina!

Oahu is way too crowded and commercial in my opinion. It's like staying in L.A. in a nice tropical setting unless you get on the North Shore. It's OK but I would definitely put Maui over all the other islands I've been to. :D
Where was this??? I have neveer heard of it before. Sounds like a blast. :D

Sometimes more than others,
we see who and what and where we are,
I'm just a one man band,
With my feet in the sand,
Tonight I just need my guitar

PHnSC
On a Salty Piece of Land
Number of Concerts: 32

Post by PHnSC »

MA_Buffett_Fan23 wrote:
:lol: I knew that was coming from ya. We will see if you can be a good girl and maybe we will consider taking you along :lol: Thank you everyone for your help. I have been sharing all the info with the group I am going with. We are all in mid or late 20's. From what I have gotten from them, during the day they would like to do excursions, shopping, and travel around the island. AT night of course hit the night life and find some good spots. Thanks again everyone

MA_Buffett_Fan23
Chewin' on a Honeysuckle Vine
Number of Concerts: 27

Post by MA_Buffett_Fan23 »

PHnSC wrote:
MA_Buffett_Fan23 wrote:
:lol: I knew that was coming from ya. We will see if you can be a good girl and maybe we will consider taking you along :lol:
I'm always a good girl!!! :P :wink: When are you planning on going? I'd give some advice but unfortunately this is one place I haven't been to yet! (more of reason for you to take me :wink: )

Wino you know
God's Own Drunk
Favorite Buffett Song: Far Side of the World & Somewhere Over China
Number of Concerts: 105
Favorite Boat Drink: Beaujalais Villages French Burgundy

Post by Wino you know »

Hawaii was my home for 11 years, and my advice is if you're only able to go to one island, choose Oahu. Not because it's the best-that's something that lies in the eyes of the beholder-but because it offers the most variety of options. History, night-life, shopping, etc. All of the islands offer great shopping and have fantastic beaches, but I'd choose Oahu just for the historic perspective. Many local residents complain that Oahu is too commercialized, and it probably is, but there are LOTS of places on the island you can to go to get out of the city. I DON'T recommend spending TOO MUCH time in the city, unless you like traffic jams.
Ideally, you'd want to go to 2 or 3 other islands, but if that's not possible, you'd have a great time on Oahu.
Of the 11 years I lived there, Oahu was my home the entire time, except for 8 months.
But when and IF I ever move back there, I think I'd be living on Maui.

East Texas Parrothead
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: Tonight I Just Need My Guitar *and* Southern Cross
Number of Concerts: 40
Favorite Boat Drink: Mojito

Post by East Texas Parrothead »

Wino you know wrote:
Hawaii was my home for 11 years, and my advice is if you're only able to go to one island, choose Oahu. Not because it's the best-that's something that lies in the eyes of the beholder-but because it offers the most variety of options. History, night-life, shopping, etc. All of the islands offer great shopping and have fantastic beaches, but I'd choose Oahu just for the historic perspective. Many local residents complain that Oahu is too commercialized, and it probably is, but there are LOTS of places on the island you can to go to get out of the city. I DON'T recommend spending TOO MUCH time in the city, unless you like traffic jams.
Ideally, you'd want to go to 2 or 3 other islands, but if that's not possible, you'd have a great time on Oahu.
Of the 11 years I lived there, Oahu was my home the entire time, except for 8 months.
But when and IF I ever move back there, I think I'd be living on Maui.
Me, too, my Waikiki Bruddah. Me, too. ~Sigh~
Gentilly ... 42 years is a long time to wait .... a Northeast Texas woman can hope.
My love is an anchor tied to you, tied with a silver chain.