FL Keys / Key West

This is a travelogue area for places to visit, stay, eat, etc...

Moderator: SMLCHNG

Tequila Revenge
Lester Polyester
Favorite Boat Drink: cubra libre

Re: FL Keys / Key West

Post by Tequila Revenge »

SchoolGirlHeart wrote:There are so many 'right' answers. I kind of like to fly into FLL *early* then decompress by stopping at a couple of places (e.g. Lorelei) along the way and get to KW about dinner time. No car in KW; walk or bike or cab. Then fly out of KW about mid-afternoon to early evening. It's all in the math, too, though. Sometimes it's cheaper to go to and from FLL or MIA with two one-way rentals. Sometimes it's cheaper to go directly to and from KW.
I prefer the drive going south on arrival rather than north on departure because then I'm not sweating the possibility of an accident ahead or bad traffic making me miss my plane.
I found the opposite to be true with the northern route back. After days of walking and a few bicycle cabs, I hated the harsh reality that starts to hit around Islamorada- cars, and traffic, and more people that I've seen in a week and rudeness... by the time you hit Key Largo, you need a drink [smilie=cheeky-grin.gif] And after trying to return the rental car the night before the flight home at FLL while under construction, "sorry for the inconvenience," you REALLY need a drink. Next time I really want to get on the airplane in KW and keep the island vibe all the way home 8)

Anyone for tapas and wine on the 2nd floor deck at Louis?
got to stop wishin' got to start fishin'....
Tequila Revenge
Lester Polyester

Really enjoyed breakfast and lunch at Frenchies Cafe on United Street- http://www.frenchiescafekw.com/

Rabbitz
Hoot!
Favorite Buffett Song: Growing Older
Number of Concerts: 2
Favorite Boat Drink: Rhum and Pineapple

Post by Rabbitz »

Wound up at Frenchies one day on our fruitless search for good coffee.

While they had an Espresso machine, and they did have more idea than some on how to use it, by coffee snob standards it was a bit ordinary. Having said that, the sandwiches we had were excellent.
Always be yourself
Unless you can be Batman
Then always be Batman
Tequila Revenge
Lester Polyester

Rabbitz wrote:Wound up at Frenchies one day on our fruitless search for good coffee.

While they had an Espresso machine, and they did have more idea than some on how to use it, by coffee snob standards it was a bit ordinary. Having said that, the sandwiches we had were excellent.
I found that to be true too- great food and average coffee. They had some nice wines reasonable priced too.
catsway
I Love the Now!
Favorite Buffett Song: Quietly Making Noise
Number of Concerts: 7
Favorite Boat Drink: The one in my Hand

Post by catsway »

Tequila Revenge wrote:
Rabbitz wrote:Wound up at Frenchies one day on our fruitless search for good coffee.

I found that to be true too- great food and average coffee. They had some nice wines reasonable priced too.
We aren't coffee snobs, but when we stay at the Tropical Inn Bed and Breakfast at 812 Duval, I always wake up before Jane and her crew put out the courtyard breakfast. I stroll two doors down to Croissants de France at 816 Duval and grab a great cup of coffee, sit on our balcony with Mr. Utley and watch Key West wake up. Give them a try. Great stuffed breakfast croissants too!
Sell Your Stuff, Keep the Dog, Live on an Island
Image JB & Sonny Image Cat & Way Image Mr. Utley
NYCPORT
Minister of Entertainment
Favorite Buffett Song: Cowboy In The Jungle
Number of Concerts: 106
Favorite Boat Drink: Yes please...

Post by NYCPORT »

catsway wrote:
Tequila Revenge wrote:

We aren't coffee snobs, but when we stay at the Tropical Inn Bed and Breakfast at 812 Duval, I always wake up before Jane and her crew put out the courtyard breakfast. I stroll two doors down to Croissants de France at 816 Duval and grab a great cup of coffee, sit on our balcony with Mr. Utley and watch Key West wake up. Give them a try. Great stuffed breakfast croissants too!
They let you bring the bird? That's awesome!

I'm back to livin' Floridays
Blue skies and ultra-violet rays
Lookin' for better days, lookin' for better days
Lookin' for Floridays

27 - 8
catsway
I Love the Now!

Post by catsway »

NYCPORT wrote:
catsway wrote:
Tequila Revenge wrote:

They let you bring the bird? That's awesome!
Yes. Jane and Allan granted special dispensation to Mr. Utley. The Tropical Inn does not permit dogs though or anyone under 18. Adults only. First class and very romantic. Classic KW bed and breakfast located halfway up Duval. We get the Gypsy Mermaid Hideaway guest room for its secluded balcony over Duval. We can people watch and listen as people walk by but they can't see us. Coincidentally, the room color was selected by a famous entertainer's daughter who stays there on occasion. The color is called "Dreamsicle". We arrive there July 17 for Cat's birthday migration.
Tequila Revenge
Lester Polyester

Best Bloody Mary in Key West?
Saltx3 wrote:
C-Dawg wrote:just thinking of breakfast made me want a Bloody Mary.....wanting a Bloody Mary made me think of the Green Parrot in Key West....7 weeks from today we leave for Key West, and I can have the best Bloody Mary in the world WOO HOO!!!!

G'morning everyone, Happy Friday!!!

(Jealous)
Tried one at Louis Backyard- pretty disappointed. Any other comments and suggestions?
Tequila Revenge
Lester Polyester

Top 10 things to see or do in KW?

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=57480&start=60&hili ... r+sandwich

Looks like it's full of good stuff!
iamapieceofwork
I have found me a home
Favorite Buffett Song: at the moment: Tin Cup Chalice , One Particular Harbour
Number of Concerts: 0
Favorite Boat Drink: The one I have with my friends!

Post by iamapieceofwork »

Got back from KW on Monday, will be posting pictures and a review of my trip, my first vacation!! 8) :D
I wanna be there
Wanna go back down and lie beside the sea there
With a tin cup for a chalice, fill it up with good red wine
And Im a chewin on a honeysuckle vine
Dr.Corona
Party at the End of the World
Favorite Buffett Song: Apocalypso..no..Semi-True Story..no.Creola..no..REGGAE ACCIDENT!!
Number of Concerts: 6
Favorite Boat Drink: As if you HAD to ask!!

Post by Dr.Corona »

iamapieceofwork wrote:Got back from KW on Monday, will be posting pictures and a review of my trip, my first vacation!! 8) :D
Looking forward to the pics.
So I take it you didn't make the Howard Livingston Fest?
Corona by day, Corona by night, any old time is just alright!Image
catsway
I Love the Now!

Post by catsway »

iamapieceofwork wrote:Got back from KW on Monday, will be posting pictures and a review of my trip, my first vacation!! 8) :D
It was wonderful to meet you Sarah at the Jump Up. We also returned home on Monday safe but tired.
iamapieceofwork
I have found me a home

First I would to thank all those who posted recommendations and advice.
for my first trip to Key west it was too short but it was fun
Starting from the beginning, after I finally found the rental car area in MIA, it was

about an hour later, and 2 rental places, before I finally got out of the Miami area
( should have brought my own GPS )
and my estimated time to get to KW was about

right. I Loved the drive down, after driving through the pouring rain in some parts

leaving Miami, the rest was sunny and clear!!!! wish I had my tablet out to record the

trip down , the scenery was so beautiful I thought I was in a dream :lol: :lol:
I got into Key West somewhere around 9 maybe, and drove around slightly confused

by the GPS : ( after a while driving around exploring I went back and found parking

around the corner from the Blue parrot inn, nice little place, and after that long drive

I went to sleep, should have went out instead.

Next day, only full day in KW sadly , I
started out looking for the southernmost point and found southernmost on the beach
and then got in line to get my picture at the southernmost point, thus beginning my
photographic trip down duval,
and stopping in various souvenir stores and shops

and (wishing I had planned better and not wasted $240 on a plane ticket for the

wrong day ,wed not Thurs. , and renting a GPS instead of bringing my own !!!!)

because of that I wasn't able to spend as much as I wanted : ( really wanted to get
some artwork and trop rock CDs at Green World Gallery, definatly recommend going
here. but I did get a Conch republic flag!! and saw Mallory Square, I couldn't decide where I
wanted to eat lunch
but I had narrowed it down to 3 choices,
Conch Republic Seafood Company
B.O.'s Fishwagon
Smokin' Tuna Saloon.
Conch Republic Seafood Company and
B.O.'s were pretty busy so I went to Smokin' Tuna and to my surprise there was

hardly a crowd, I thought the place was bigger, it looked bigger in youtube videos
had a very nice lunch of shrimp and iced tea after which I decided to find my way

back to the Blue Parrot to get ready to go to the beach, should have went to

southernmost beach instead of going to smathers beach, I was told that Salute was

on smathers beach, when actually its near Higgs Beach not nice!!!!
I didn't like smathers beach, I got out a little way and the sand was more like mud
and there was too much seaweed and I think something bit my foot so I was only

there for like an hour and then I went back and checked my facebook page, and I'm
glad I did because I found that one of my favorite musicians, Chris Rehm aka Key
West Chris was preforming at the Doubletree [smilie=gt-happyup.gif] so glad I caught the last hour
of his set. after he finished I introduced myself and he noticed my Kenny Chesney
shirt, and he sang another song for me : )

then I got the bartender to take a picture of
me with Chris and then we talked as I helped him pack up, and that was the
beginning of a night of 'firsts' , as I was helping him load his van, he told me about,

what I would later call 'an event ' at McConnell's Pub(THE LOVE LANE GANG AT
McConnell's - AND RADIO BROADCAST).
I left and headed to Mallory Square, to
see the sunset, driving - bad idea , you know how limited parking is !!
So I didn't get to see the sunset celebration, brought the car back to Blue parrot and
actually found a spot out front, and after changing my clothes I decided to head to
McConnell's Pub, I forgot to mention that as I was driving back I was listening to The
X 104.9 and they were broadcasting live from McConnell's - that will make sense later.

So I texted Chris and said that I decided to go down and hear the The Love Lane
Gang play, they were Good :) - sound system ,not so good. and then I was talking

to Chris and somehow the subject turned to beer, and I told him that I had never had

a beer , and he's knows a lot about beer!!! and he finished the beer he

had, something dark and ordered a lighter beer , I think it was called ' Stella Artois '
and I tried it, and to my surprise it was actually good, my first impression was that it

tasted like hard cider, which I have had before.
As the band took a break, a very long break ,for a radio interview on The Key West

Rocks Show with Reverend Gweko(Gary Ek (Soundman from HELL) and "Captain B"
Bernard Rasch. Chris' friend Gary Ek (Soundman from HELL)of The Key West Rocks
Show, persuaded Chris, and me , to be on the radio and the next thing i know we are

on the radio, and pictures were taken, beer was drank, and Chris read the weather

,and we talked about music, about me ,the Southernmost Coconut Castaways brunch

sat at Schooner Wharf( I was really looking forward to it ) ,about the band , and

about the vacant building directly across the street being supposedly hunted, it did

look a little creepy all dark when all the buildings around had lights on.
we drank more , and before long the radio show was over. I should have not went back

to went back to my room it was only half past midnight, should have spent more time

out exploring the KW nightlife, but I said 'I think I'm going back to go to bed, good

thing Chris walked with me back , I found my way there myself but at that hour and

after 2 beers I wasn't sure of the way back [smilie=huh-ani.gif]

Sadly the next day (Sat) I had to leave that afternoon.
I had a lot to do on Saturday, after getting up at the early hour of 8, to pack and
checkout and stuff then, I found my way to Schooner Wharf for the
Southernmost Coconut Castaways July Jump Up ,and some breakfast(steak, eggs
and potatoes) , and I met a lot of other club members and I won a CD and some
other stuff, and last but not least I met BN members Wayne and Cathy
we talked and took pictures as we listened to Michael McCloud, I really liked his
music and stayed longer then I should have.
after I eventually left I went to meet Marc & Tammy Hollander at their house to pick
up my Meet me in the keys goodie bag, full of a lot of fun stuff and then I,
thought I might have time to go to Boondocks for a fundraiser for the Summerland
Key Fire Dept., I think.
But sadly ,by that time it was getting late and I thought my flight was at 8 but actually it was at 9 and I had to get back to Miami so I didn't go Boondocks, so I practically raced back to Miami at some points going 70 mph or more to get back and I got back in time , like the check-in with Alamo ,they scan the barcode and give you a receipt and that's it. and that's when I found that my flight was actually at 9 and I finally found my way through the airport, and my way back to Pensacola but I didn't want to go !!! :cry:
Next time I'm not driving back to Miami, I may drive down but I'm flying out of KW
After I learn to fly ,I'm flying down to the Keys !!!
and that's my Key west trip
I can tell you about my Pensacola / gulf coast trip if anyone wants to know ,it was ok , but mostly a excuse to get away :lol:
I wanna be there
iamapieceofwork
I have found me a home

First I would to thank all those who posted recommendations and advice.
Starting from the beginning, after I finally found the rental car area in MIA, it was

about an hour later, and 2 rental places, before I finally got out of the Miami area

right. I Loved the drive down, after driving through the pouring rain in some parts

leaving Miami, the rest was sunny and clear!!!! wish I had my tablet out to record the

I got into Key West somewhere around 9 maybe, and drove around slightly confused

by the GPS : ( after a while driving around exploring I went back and found parking

around the corner from the Blue parrot inn,Imagenice little place, and after that long drive

started out looking for the southernmost point and found southernmost on the beach
and then got in line to get my picture at the southernmost point, thus beginning my

because of that I wasn't able to spend as much as I wanted : ( really wanted to get
some artwork and trop rock CDs at Green World Gallery, definatly recommend going
here. but I did get a Conch republic flag!! and saw Mallory Square, I couldn't decide where I
wanted to eat lunch
B.O.'s Fishwagon
Smokin' Tuna Saloon.
B.O.'s were pretty busy so I went to Smokin' Tuna Image and to my surprise there was

hardly a crowd, I thought the place was bigger, it looked bigger in youtube videos
had a very nice lunch of shrimp and iced tea after which I decided to find my way

southernmost beach instead of going to smathers beach, I was told that Salute was

I didn't like smathers beach, I got out a little way and the sand was more like mud

there for like an hour and then I went back and checked my facebook page, and I'm
glad I did because I found that one of my favorite musicians, Chris Rehm aka Key
West Chris was preforming at the Doubletree [smilie=gt-happyup.gif] Image
so glad I caught the last hour
of his set. after he finished I introduced myself and he noticed my Kenny Chesney

beginning of a night of 'firsts' , as I was helping him load his van, he told me about,

So I didn't get to see the sunset celebration, brought the car back to Blue parrot and
actually found a spot out front, and after changing my clothes I decided to head to
McConnell's Pub, I forgot to mention that as I was driving back I was listening to The
X 104.9 and they were broadcasting live from McConnell's - that will make sense later.

Gang play, they were Good :) - sound system ,not so good. and then I was talking

to Chris and somehow the subject turned to beer, and I told him that I had never had

had, something dark and ordered a lighter beer , I think it was called ' Stella Artois '
and I tried it, and to my surprise it was actually good, my first impression was that it

As the band took a break, a very long break ,for a radio interview on The Key West

Show, persuaded Chris, and me , to be on the radio and the next thing i know we are

on the radio, and pictures were taken, beer was drank, and Chris read the weather

sat at Schooner Wharf( I was really looking forward to it ) ,about the band , and

about the vacant building directly across the street being supposedly hunted, it did

we drank more , and before long the radio show was over. I should have not went back

to went back to my room it was only half past midnight, should have spent more time

out exploring the KW nightlife, but I said 'I think I'm going back to go to bed, good

thing Chris walked with me back , I found my way there myself but at that hour and

I had a lot to do on Saturday, after getting up at the early hour of 8, to pack and
checkout and stuff then, I found my way to Schooner Wharf Image for the
Southernmost Coconut Castaways July Jump Up , Image
and some breakfast(steak, eggs and potatoes) , and I met a lot of other club members Image and I won a CD and some
other stuff, and last but not least I met BN members Wayne and Cathi
we talked and took pictures as we listened to Michael McCloud, I really liked his
after I eventually left I went to meet Marc & Tammy Hollander at their house to pick
thought I might have time to go to Boondocks for a fundraiser for the Summerland
Key Fire Dept., I think.
But sadly ,by that time it was getting late and I thought my flight was at 8 but actually it was at 9 and I had to get back to Miami so I didn't go Boondocks, so I practically raced back to Miami at some points going 70 mph or more to get back and I got back in time.
I liked the check-in with Alamo ,they scan the barcode and give you a receipt and that's it. and as I was taking my stuff out out of the car thats when I found that my flight was actually at 9 and I finally found my way through the airport, and my way back to Pensacola but I didn't want to go !!! :cry:
Next time I'm not driving back to Miami, I may drive down but I'm flying out of KW
I can tell you about my Pensacola / gulf coast trip if anyone wants to know ,it was ok , but mostly a excuse to get away :lol:

Key west trip pictures http://s1317.photobucket.com/user/Islan ... 0west%2013
Last edited by iamapieceofwork on August 4, 2013 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I wanna be there
iamapieceofwork
I have found me a home

Dr.Corona wrote:
Looking forward to the pics.
So I take it you didn't make the Howard Livingston Fest?

To answer you question I didn't get to go to Meet Me In the Keys ,Stuff came up so I couldn't get down there unfortunately :cry: :x
I wanna be there
Dr.Corona
Party at the End of the World
Favorite Buffett Song: Apocalypso..no..Semi-True Story..no.Creola..no..REGGAE ACCIDENT!!
Number of Concerts: 6
Favorite Boat Drink: As if you HAD to ask!!

Post by Dr.Corona »

iamapieceofwork wrote:First I would to thank all those who posted recommendations and advice.

around the corner from the Blue parrot inn, nice little place, and after that long drive

wanted to eat lunch
B.O.'s Fishwagon
Smokin' Tuna Saloon.
B.O.'s were pretty busy so I went to Smokin' Tuna and to my surprise there was

West Chris was preforming at the Doubletree [smilie=gt-happyup.gif] so glad I caught the last hour

checkout and stuff then, I found my way to Schooner Wharf for the
Southernmost Coconut Castaways July Jump Up ,and some breakfast(steak, eggs
and potatoes) , and I met a lot of other club members and I won a CD and some
other stuff, and last but not least I met BN members Wayne and Cathy
Key Fire Dept., I think.
But sadly ,by that time it was getting late and I thought my flight was at 8 but actually it was at 9 and I had to get back to Miami so I didn't go Boondocks, so I practically raced back to Miami at some points going 70 mph or more to get back and I got back in time , like the check-in with Alamo ,they scan the barcode and give you a receipt and that's it. and that's when I found that my flight was actually at 9 and I finally found my way through the airport, and my way back to Pensacola but I didn't want to go !!! :cry:
Well that sure was an interesting experience you had in KW. Cool you had your "5 minutes of fame" on the radio! But quite the bummer you only had a solid day there. Shoot, I was bummed I only had 3 solid days there. :o Wanting to do a longer stay next time. Would love to go to MOTM. I've basically got free airfare to get there, but rooms are crazy $$. Looks like I'll be in Florida during MOTM time, just the northern part instead of the Southernmost part! :-?

Please share your Pensacola tales if you so desire. Never been there & hear it's pretty nice......especially when the weather is good!
Corona by day, Corona by night, any old time is just alright!Image
Left Field ParrotHead
Under My Lone Palm
Number of Concerts: 18
Favorite Boat Drink: Perfect Margarita from the M'ville in Las Vegas!!
Location: Across the street, having a beer with the neighbours

Post by Left Field ParrotHead »

If you are a little bored and need to fill 15 minutes between 3:30 and 4:30 on Thursday this week... :wink:

http://www.hemingwayhome.com/cam-wedding/
Dumb and drunk as I was, you know I would do it all again.
iamapieceofwork
I have found me a home

Im already thinking and planning my next trip to the Keys :D
I wanna be there
Tequila Revenge
Lester Polyester

iamapieceofwork wrote:Im already thinking and planning my next trip to the Keys :D
I have the same issue :D REALLY miss the flats and old town. If you really want to mess with yourself look for jobs in KW [smilie=cheeky-grin.gif] I convinced myself I'd take a $13.00/hr job working with the building department to be able to live down there, fish the flats and live the life.
catsway
I Love the Now!

Post by catsway »

It's been one week since returned from our fourth annual Key West migration. We thought we'd share a few of our experiences. This definitely ranks as one of our top five vacations.

We started out in Orlando where we visited our 'keets. Not to be outdone from last years surprise living room wedding, our oldest daughter, Christin, announced her engagement to Jeremiah with a wedding date set for September 20, 2014! Then our younger 'keet, Chelsea, announced she and her husband Mario are expecting our first grandchild around March 10 next year. Talk about a kick start for a vacation, we couldn't be happier! However, our travel budget for 2014 just went in the tank. :o

Cat, Wayne and the 'keets celebrating weddings, births and birthdays!

After our final dinner with the kids, we launched hot air balloons in memorial to our recently passed dog, Rusty

We spent two days with the kids before heading down to Sanibel and Captiva Islands near Fort Myers. We had a lovely time. We spent one day on Bowman's Beach (bring bug spray for the no-see-'ems) and the next day on a ferry ride on Pine island Sound out to Cabbage Key. Cabbage Key claims to be the place where Jimmy wrote CIP (along with the other 99 places). There was a framed photo and dollar bill behind the bar at The Cabbage Key Inn. Also noteworthy is that author Randy Wayne White spends a bit of time there writing. It is a beautiful boat ride out to Cabbage Key with several dolphin and manatee sightings.

Cat and Randy Wayne White on Bowman's Beach

Boarding the Lady Chadwick for Cabbage Key

The Cabbage Key Inn

The framed JB dollar bill behind the Cabbage Inn Bar

We checked out Doc Ford's new Rum Bar on Captiva, just inxside the gates at South Seas Plantation. It wasn't finished but looks to be a great new place to visit next year.

Wayne and Mr. Utley at Periwinkle Park parrot display on Sanibel Island.

Doc Fords Rum Bar, Captiva Island

We also found a cozy little bar just inside RC Otter's where consumed a few Key West Pale Ales and a platter of conch fritters.

Any visit to these beautiful barrier islands would not be complete with a visit to The Mucky Duck for sunset.

As we headed on down to the Keys, we stopped at Mangrove Mama's at Mile Marker 20 for a Lobster Rueben and a beer. Damn fine sandwich!

We arrived at the Tropical Inn Bed and Breakfast located at 812 Duval. We highly recommend this Inn run by our gracious hosts Jane, Allen and Brandi. Our second floor room with a private balcony overlooking Duval is a dream come true.

Our first night out, we headed straight to The Top on the La Concha. At the bar, we noticed several people wearing PH lanyards. We had stumbled into a Key West PHC flocking with Captain Josh providing the entertainment. We were graciously welcomed and met several new friends and saw some old friends such as Artist Koz of Green World Gallery. Koz also invited us to a Jump Up for the Southernmost Coconut Club at The Schooner Wharf. The most shocking news of the trip was to find out that The Top is closing very soon to be converted to a spa. A real bummer for those who enjoy the view from KW's highest point.

The view from The Top soon to be gone! Bummer...

Later that evening we hooked up with Popcorn Jack at the Sunset Tiki Bar located at The Galleon Resort on Front Street. Our first time there. It definitely beats the crowds and vendors at Mallory Square.

Jack took us on a bar stroll that ended up at Shots and Giggles. We had a blast! Great little local bar with some really friendly staff. Jack, those shots of Cinabot kicked my ass!

The ultimate party man! Jack and Cat.

The next day was Cat's birthday. We started out at the Southernmost Beach cafe for a wonderful breakfast. Josh, our server took great care of us. We enjoyed the view out over South Beach. After breakfast and a brief rain shower, we strolled down some of the backstreets of KW, something we had not done on previous trips. Very relaxing. We did the Butterfly House and Hemingway's Home. We stopped by Koz's shop and purchased some swag and met Mrs. Captain Josh. They are wonderful people.

Cat's Birthday breakfast at Southernmost Beach Cafe

Wandering the back streets of KW. Cat found her street!

Cat wanted a late night snack at Margaritaville on her birthday. There we ran into Amber Lynn Nicol who performed her song "Beach Day" at our request. Afterwards she stopped by our table and gave Cat an autographed CD for her birthday

Cat and Amber Lynn.

Some of our favorite places this trip were Charlie Macs 404 next door to the Green Parrot, Alonzo's on the Bight for happy hour (half price drinks and apps), Rick's Bar and as previously mentioned The Sunset Tiki Bar at Galleon Resort. Of course we hit all the old haunts like Sloppy Joe's, Captain Tony's, The Chart Room and Schooner Wharf Bar.

We spent one day at South Beach. We are beach admitted beach snobs. Its hard to find a good beach in KW that compares to the beach where we live in the Florida Panhandle. But this 100 yard wide beach did not disappoint. Fletcher, of Beach Boys Beach Service took wonderful care of us all day with frozen wash clothes to chill with, frozen pineapple chunks to sweeten our kisses and fresh cold smoothies. Cat found a dude making anklets out on the pier. He made a custom one that she has yet to take off. It was just a perfect day.

South Beach and the Southernmost Cafe

Mr. Utley working on his tan.

Dude and his dog making cat's anklet.

Love this City of Key West ordinance.

Part of our mission this trip was to honor our wonderful dog, Rusty, who passed recently. He was our daughters' childhood pet. We celebrated his life Saturday afternoon at Schooner Wharf. I asked Michael McCloud if he would pay tribute by performing "Schooner Wharf Dog". He obliged in his first set while Cat and I sprinkled a few grams of his ashes in the planter next to the pathway that leads to the kitchen service area. We shed several tears before we resumed partying with Popcorn Jack, Sarah from BN (imapieceofwork) and those crazy Southernmost Coconut Club members who raised good money for several worthy charities at the Jump Up.

Ms. Lee, Popcorn Jack and Cat at Schooner Wharf

The planter with Rusty's ashes. Rusty will always be a Schooner Wharf Dog!

Another mission we were on was to celebrate our love and devotion to each other for the past 37 years. The Tropic Inn where we were staying has a tradition of Love Locks that are displayed on a wrought iron bird cage in their courtyard. Cat and I had our lock engraved and placed it on the cage. To complete the tradition, we walked down to the Key Wset Bight and tossed our keys into the water so that our lock could never be removed.

Our Lock

Our Love.

We headed back home via the Florida east coast, stopping at Flagler Beach/Palm Coast for the night. We decided to hit this little beach bar we had heard about named The Golden Lion. If you pass this way, go check out this place on an "old school" Florida beach. The Golden Loin Punch rocks as well as their excellent fish and chips.

Punch with a kick!

We will be returning to Key Weird for MOTM 2014. We have a lot going on next year with grand babies and weddings going on. We have so many other things left to do down island.