FL Keys / Key West

This is a travelogue area for places to visit, stay, eat, etc...

Moderator: SMLCHNG

Dr.Corona
Party at the End of the World
Favorite Buffett Song: Apocalypso..no..Semi-True Story..no.Creola..no..REGGAE ACCIDENT!!
Number of Concerts: 6
Favorite Boat Drink: As if you HAD to ask!!

Re: FL Keys / Key West

Post by Dr.Corona »

What's the scoop these days on the "buy 1 get 1" drink deals in KW?
Is there a Advertising flyer issued to tourists having these coupons or do the individual bars themselves distribute them to you when you visit their establishments?
Corona by day, Corona by night, any old time is just alright!Image
RinglingRingling
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: Glory Days
Number of Concerts: 0
Favorite Boat Drink: Landshark, and Margaritaville products...

Post by RinglingRingling »

Dr.Corona wrote:What's the scoop these days on the "buy 1 get 1" drink deals in KW?
Is there a Advertising flyer issued to tourists having these coupons or do the individual bars themselves distribute them to you when you visit their establishments?
http://www.keywestbarcard.com/
Dr.Corona
Favorite Buffett Song: Apocalypso..no..Semi-True Story..no.Creola..no..REGGAE ACCIDENT!!

Post by Dr.Corona »

If All goes well with travels should be mid-keys this time tomorrow.
Of course with Convertible on reserve, forecast for tomorrow in the keys.........SCATTERED THUNDERSTORMS....50/60% chance. :evil: :evil:
pupnpony
I gotta go where it's warm
Number of Concerts: 2

Post by pupnpony »

just be glad you're not here today in that convertible! We have about a foot of water in the roads in the historic district.
Dr.Corona

Post by Dr.Corona »

pupnpony wrote:just be glad you're not here today in that convertible! We have about a foot of water in the roads in the historic district.
So I heard......pump it out.....QUICK!!
iamapieceofwork
I have found me a home
Favorite Buffett Song: at the moment: Tin Cup Chalice , One Particular Harbour
Favorite Boat Drink: The one I have with my friends!

Post by iamapieceofwork »

I im planning a trip to pensacola, july 15-20 but really its an excuse to get to Key West. :wink: If it all goes according to my plans I will get a few, ok only 3 days in the Keys before going back to the boring state of NY. :(
I have some ideas of must see places , But I want to hear from people who have been or live there, on what places are a must see, or anything going on from july 17-19 for my very short vacation getaway.
I wanna be there
Wanna go back down and lie beside the sea there
With a tin cup for a chalice, fill it up with good red wine
And Im a chewin on a honeysuckle vine
catsway
I Love the Now!
Favorite Buffett Song: Quietly Making Noise
Number of Concerts: 7
Favorite Boat Drink: The one in my Hand

Post by catsway »

iamapieceofwork wrote:I im planning a trip to pensacola, july 15-20 but really its an excuse to get to Key West. :wink: If it all goes according to my plans I will get a few, ok only 3 days in the Keys before going back to the boring state of NY. :(
I have some ideas of must see places , But I want to hear from people who have been or live there, on what places are a must see, or anything going on from july 17-19 for my very short vacation getaway.
July 17 is when Cat and I will be arriving for our annual Key West migration. The main thing that is going on that week is Hemingway Days, otherwise known as the Papa Look-a-Like Contest. Here's the link: http://sloppyjoes.com/index.php/look-alike-contest/
The second biggest thing going on that week is Cat's birthday on the 18th.
As far as places to see and things to do, the list is too long to mention here. Look back through this thread and you can get some great ideas. We did.
We are from the Destin, Fl. area, about 45 miles east of Pensacola. PM us if you are looking for some ideas of things to do in the Panhandle. And while in Key Weird, we'd like to buy you a drink!
Sell Your Stuff, Keep the Dog, Live on an Island
Image JB & Sonny Image Cat & Way Image Mr. Utley
iamapieceofwork
I have found me a home

catsway that would be wonderful cant wait :D
PM me , so we can work out some specifics
I wanna be there
Tequila Revenge
Lester Polyester
Favorite Boat Drink: cubra libre

Post by Tequila Revenge »

RinglingRingling wrote:
PHarmGirl wrote:
Dr.Corona wrote:Looking for a recommendation on places to stay in the Keys/KW for a single person somewhat on the cheap
With my wife passing on recently I think I've been inspired to "Get Lost" in the Keys over our anniversary date this coming May. I've got free airfare to Lauderdale....so I think I'll rent a convertible & find my way to KW & back over a 5-6 day period.
So sorry about your wife! :( We stayed at http://travelerspalm.com the last time we were in Key West. It is right across the street (diagonally) from El Siboney Restaurant, which you must try. They have a decent pool for a small inn in Key West, and they have bicycles you can rent on a daily basis. We would definitely stay there again. We stayed in a studio room which was very reasonable. Have fun!
The #1, Puerco Asado, with the black beans and yellow rice, and a Presidente or a Negra Modelo... mmmmmmm....
YES!! [smilie=gt-happyup.gif] [smilie=gt-happyup.gif] [smilie=gt-happyup.gif] And with red beans- found out red beans only on Tuesday. Just returned home. Thanks for posting this R2!
got to stop wishin' got to start fishin'....
Tequila Revenge
Lester Polyester

PHarmGirl wrote:
Dr.Corona wrote:Looking for a recommendation on places to stay in the Keys/KW for a single person somewhat on the cheap
With my wife passing on recently I think I've been inspired to "Get Lost" in the Keys over our anniversary date this coming May. I've got free airfare to Lauderdale....so I think I'll rent a convertible & find my way to KW & back over a 5-6 day period.
So sorry about your wife! :( We stayed at http://travelerspalm.com the last time we were in Key West. It is right across the street (diagonally) from El Siboney Restaurant, which you must try. They have a decent pool for a small inn in Key West, and they have bicycles you can rent on a daily basis. We would definitely stay there again. We stayed in a studio room which was very reasonable. Have fun!
THANK YOU for posting the information about Travelers Palm. We stayed there this week and had a wonderful time. Love the quiet side of old town [smilie=nod.gif]
pupnpony

Post by pupnpony »

Belatedly, having just been there, I would also recommend the Key West Harbor Inn - a lovely place.
iamapieceofwork
I have found me a home

one more question :-?
Is it better to fly directly to KW or to fly to Miami and drive to Key west
Which is better, any ideas ??
I wanna be there
Dr.Corona

Post by Dr.Corona »

iamapieceofwork wrote:one more question :-?
In a perfect world I would do both.
Catch a morning flight & fly directly into KW as to save time. Step off the plane & get into the Key West vibe immediately.
Depending upon where you're staying you really don't need a rental car while in KW so set up a one-way rental car & a "last flight out" on the day for your day of departure in Miami. You're gonna have to check out of your hotel or whatever by 11:00 most likely so head out & make a couple stops as you travel up the Keys along the way, whether it be venturing off the beaten path & go spotting for Key Deer, stopping at the Bahia Honda State Park beach for a dip or catching some lunch at one of the many waterfront places on the less commercial Keys. You could do a Keys pub crawl, but of course that depends upon if you've got a designated driver or not. I stopped off at the No Name Pub & Alabama Jacks for a couple beers on my venture back to the mainland but I had to be careful as I was cruising solo.

If you can't make that work, check on the various flight times available to you. Makes no sense to drive to KW if your flight doesn't get you into Miami until early evening. Driving in the dark in the Keys is like driving in the dark at home.......boring. Conversely if you're stuck with an early flight coming back home you'll need to vacate KW the evening before your flight.....thus missing out on one of those infamous KW evenings.

Some other food for thought, by flying directly into KW you could day trip from KW north to some of the places I mentioned.....thus again saving yourself time.

Ultimately, there is no cut & dry answer. I'd say length of time of your stay & what you plan for your itinerary while in KW (as well as $$) are the determining factors.
Tequila Revenge
Lester Polyester

Dr.Corona wrote:
iamapieceofwork wrote:one more question :-?
In a perfect world I would do both.
Catch a morning flight & fly directly into KW as to save time. Step off the plane & get into the Key West vibe immediately.
Depending upon where you're staying you really don't need a rental car while in KW so set up a one-way rental car & a "last flight out" on the day for your day of departure in Miami. You're gonna have to check out of your hotel or whatever by 11:00 most likely so head out & make a couple stops as you travel up the Keys along the way, whether it be venturing off the beaten path & go spotting for Key Deer, stopping at the Bahia Honda State Park beach for a dip or catching some lunch at one of the many waterfront places on the less commercial Keys. You could do a Keys pub crawl, but of course that depends upon if you've got a designated driver or not. I stopped off at the No Name Pub & Alabama Jacks for a couple beers on my venture back to the mainland but I had to be careful as I was cruising solo.

If you can't make that work, check on the various flight times available to you. Makes no sense to drive to KW if your flight doesn't get you into Miami until early evening. Driving in the dark in the Keys is like driving in the dark at home.......boring. Conversely if you're stuck with an early flight coming back home you'll need to vacate KW the evening before your flight.....thus missing out on one of those infamous KW evenings.

Some other food for thought, by flying directly into KW you could day trip from KW north to some of the places I mentioned.....thus again saving yourself time.

Ultimately, there is no cut & dry answer. I'd say length of time of your stay & what you plan for your itinerary while in KW (as well as $$) are the determining factors.
We flew into Tampa, spent a few days around the Ft. Meyers area with family and took the boat from Ft. Meyers down to KW. That was pretty cool. From the dock we took a bicycle taxi to our hotel and walked everywhere for a couple days until we needed the rental car to drive up the keys to go home. I use Southwest most of the time for business and was surprised to see SWA flys out of KW now. Next time We'll follow the Dr's advice and checkout at 11:00 and head for the airport. The local's we talked to said to be sure to stop at Bahia Honda State Park and spend sometime there. Somehow in our quest to return the rental car we overlooked that. Also, since we flew SWA, we went through Ft. Lauderdale. The "locals" we talked with told us they preferred Lauderdale to Miami, as Miami was "too crazy." Another piece of local advice was to stop at Baby's Coffee and pick up a pound to take home, as I take a sip of Baby's Havana Roast and wish I was back on the little island.

Please be sure to post about your trip :D
RinglingRingling
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: Glory Days
Favorite Boat Drink: Landshark, and Margaritaville products...

Post by RinglingRingling »

Ideally, fly into MIA/FLL the night before. Get up early, really early. Get to 75 and then down the Turnpike so the traffic is heading in. take your time going down, enjoy the view. maybe even walk out to Pigeon Key on the Old Seven Mile bridge. Get to KW. enjoy. catch last plane out to catch last plane out of MIA/FLL
SchoolGirlHeart
Last Man Standing

Post by SchoolGirlHeart »

There are so many 'right' answers. I kind of like to fly into FLL *early* then decompress by stopping at a couple of places (e.g. Lorelei) along the way and get to KW about dinner time. No car in KW; walk or bike or cab. Then fly out of KW about mid-afternoon to early evening. It's all in the math, too, though. Sometimes it's cheaper to go to and from FLL or MIA with two one-way rentals. Sometimes it's cheaper to go directly to and from KW.
I prefer the drive going south on arrival rather than north on departure because then I'm not sweating the possibility of an accident ahead or bad traffic making me miss my plane.
Carry on as you know they would want you to do. ~~JB, dedication to Tim Russert

Take your time
Find your passion
Life goes on until it ends
Don’t stop living
Until then

~~Mac McAnally
SMLCHNG
Favorite Buffett Song: Lovely Cruise/Bubbles Up
Number of Concerts: 20
Favorite Boat Drink: Extra dirty gin martini

Post by SMLCHNG »

SchoolGirlHeart wrote:There are so many 'right' answers. I kind of like to fly into FLL *early* then decompress by stopping at a couple of places (e.g. Lorelei) along the way and get to KW about dinner time. No car in KW; walk or bike or cab. Then fly out of KW about mid-afternoon to early evening. It's all in the math, too, though. Sometimes it's cheaper to go to and from FLL or MIA with two one-way rentals. Sometimes it's cheaper to go directly to and from KW.
I prefer the drive going south on arrival rather than north on departure because then I'm not sweating the possibility of an accident ahead or bad traffic making me miss my plane.
Agree with all of this. :D
Dr.Corona

Post by Dr.Corona »

SchoolGirlHeart wrote:There are so many 'right' answers. I kind of like to fly into FLL *early* then decompress by stopping at a couple of places (e.g. Lorelei) along the way and get to KW about dinner time. No car in KW; walk or bike or cab. Then fly out of KW about mid-afternoon to early evening. It's all in the math, too, though. Sometimes it's cheaper to go to and from FLL or MIA with two one-way rentals. Sometimes it's cheaper to go directly to and from KW.
Good point! I guess the best solution is to take 2 trips & do 1 driving & 1 direct flight in! 8)
I tell ya I was just there a few weeks ago and while it had it's difficult times for personal reasons under the right circumstances I could be convinced to go back ASAP!
pupnpony

Post by pupnpony »

"Another piece of local advice was to stop at Baby's Coffee and pick up a pound to take home" yummm.....Baby's Coffee and Kermit's anything!
SchoolGirlHeart
Last Man Standing

Post by SchoolGirlHeart »

Dr.Corona wrote:
Good point! I guess the best solution is to take 2 trips & do 1 driving & 1 direct flight in! 8)
I tell ya I was just there a few weeks ago and while it had it's difficult times for personal reasons under the right circumstances I could be convinced to go back ASAP!
[smilie=superkewl.gif] [smilie=superkewl.gif] [smilie=superkewl.gif]
Carry on as you know they would want you to do. ~~JB, dedication to Tim Russert

Take your time
Find your passion
Life goes on until it ends
Don’t stop living
Until then

~~Mac McAnally