Little BigHorn Montana

This is a travelogue area for places to visit, stay, eat, etc...

Moderators: SMLCHNG, Saltx3

MammaBear
I Love the Now!
Number of Concerts: 0

Little BigHorn Montana

Post by MammaBear »

I am going to be in Billings Montana and would like to take a day trip to the Little Bighorn. Any suggestions, ideas? I think there maybe public transportation from Billings to Little Bighorn....perhaps a tour? I understand it is only about 60 miles.

Any info would be appreciated....

RinglingRingling
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: Glory Days
Favorite Boat Drink: Landshark, and Margaritaville products...

Re: Little BigHorn Montana

Post by RinglingRingling »

MammaBear wrote:I am going to be in Billings Montana and would like to take a day trip to the Little Bighorn. Any suggestions, ideas? I think there maybe public transportation from Billings to Little Bighorn....perhaps a tour? I understand it is only about 60 miles.

Any info would be appreciated....
rent a car, and do the drive yourself. Billings is not a "public transportation" kinda town. :)

http://www.wegoplaces.com/MTOther_Regio ... tions.aspx

http://travel.yahoo.com/p-travelguide-2 ... ightseeing

green1
Hoot!

Post by green1 »

One of the interesting/sobering aspects of Little Bighorn is that it is the only national cemetary where the soldiers were buried where they fell. At other battlefields the fallen were brought to a planned cemetary and buried. But at Little Bighorn, for whatever reason, the burial detail dug the graves right next to where the soldiers fell and buried them there. This gives you a visual reference, by the gravestones, to how the battle progressed.

MammaBear
I Love the Now!

Post by MammaBear »

OMG...what beautiful country!!! Thanks for the suggestions. Anyone living in the Montana/wyoming area is truly blessed!!!!

digitalprintman
I have found me a home

Post by digitalprintman »

Do make sure and take in the video at the visitor center. It is down in the basement. It gives a good perspective on what went on at the Little Big Horn. Also take in the Ranger's talk about the area and the more or less perfect storm that lead up to Custer's Last Stand.

http://www.nps.gov/libi

I would not recommend staying down in Crow Agency, the town near the Little Big Horn Battlefield. It is pretty run down. There are a couple of old motels there, but they don't look all that nice.

If you do have the rent a car, go on down to Red Lodge also. It is a great little town about 60 miles to the southwest of Billings. Very good restaurants and great little shops. It's at the base or Beartooth Pass, a climb of roughly 10,000 feet. It is a great drive, if you have the time. Or should I say, you should make the time. If you plan on spending a night in Red Lodge, make sure and make a motel reservation ahead of time. The town fills up quick.

http://www.redlodge.com/

Have fun, it is a beautiful area in many parts but very desolate in others.

SeattleParrotHead
Under My Lone Palm
Favorite Buffett Song: Island, 12v Man
Number of Concerts: 6
Favorite Boat Drink: Mai Tais @ Dukes

Post by SeattleParrotHead »

It's really a very moving site. You stand at the top of the hill where Custer met his fate and you look down the valley at the scattering of headstones and you can visualize how the battle fought out . . . there are a few headstones ("U.S. SOLDIER 7TH CAVALRY FELL HERE, JUNE 25th 1875") then more, and more, and more until you reach the site of the "last stand." Our first visit was about 25 years ago and there had been a prarie fire that year that had cleared away all the vegetation and the archiologists were having a field day (no pun intended), finding all sorts of goodies previously undiscovered. I'm sure you'll have a great trip!
ImageImage

I know the voices aren't real but sometimes they have really good ideas...
SPH