Who's going to Camden, Saturday - 08.07.10?

Meet up with some of your friends from BN and find out who's going to the show

Moderators: SMLCHNG, Saltx3

IrishPirate
Chewin' on a Honeysuckle Vine
Favorite Buffett Song: CILCIA and far to many to mention here
Number of Concerts: 30
Favorite Boat Drink: margaritas, pina coladas, 7&7

Re: Who's going to Camden, Saturday - 08.07.10?

Post by IrishPirate »

brznbeaches wrote:
thebeachbumm33 wrote:
brznbeaches wrote:Sounds like the consensus is.... Buffett does a great show, anywhere and everywhere, but the tailgate at Camden left a lot to be desired. 11 different parking lots, in one of the worst areas of Camden, no matter what they've done to dress it up. Lots of people looking for an excuse to party (there to see "Buffet", drinking and wearing a lei so that makes me a Ph, right? NOT!).

I will NEVER complain about Nissan/ The Lube again! After 3+ hours of doing less than 20 mph on 95 north thru Maryland, Delaware, NJ and Pa, I paid $25 to park near a 4 story tall trash dump. 11 different lots, $25 a pop to park???!!! With a hi-speed line stop right in front of the entrance, why did I bother driving??? Welcome back to Jersey! SO glad we moved to Virginia before I started HS!

As always a great group of BNers. Old friends and new, love you guys!

Will happily host anytime at the Lube!
Do you know where I95 starts in NJ? Sounds to me like you got lost.
The GPS and Mapuquest both showed the drive at 2 hours, so I thought leaving from Baltimore at 1 would be okay, still give me some time at the tailgate. Traffic started crawling at Aberdeen, and never got over 20 mph, even though there were no accidents and I never heard a word on any of the radio stations. This is normal? When I got close to the Del Mem Bridge, I saw that traffic continued to crawl going that way, so I headed up 95 on the west side of the river and crossed over from Philly (which bridge is it, just south of the Ben Franklin?). Things moved fine on 130 until I got off at 5A and spent another hour crawling. If I had known, I would have parked at a train and ridden in. Especially when they added insult to injury by charging for parking ( it's included at Nissan/Lube after 2 pm). Not the best way to start off a party!
Lesson(s) learned. I did enjoy the time I spent with the BNers in Lot 11, and really appreciated that they have a place to check in stuff you don't want to carry into the show with you. Love that you don't need a car to get there. Did enjoy getting back to my roots, if only for a day, and remembering the good stuff (can you say Panzarotti's? Went to school with the Tarantini kids!)

Don't know if I'll be back to that venue- but I know how to do it better if I do go!

Give it another chance and leave earlier to avoid traffic stress. Don't let the drive ruin your outlook on the tailgate! Yes Camden charges $25 for parking, some venues charge A LOT more!

OneLuckyMan
Nibblin' on sponge cake
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by OneLuckyMan »

Let me weigh in, if I may. (Some of you may know me, although it has been a while since I posted anything here, and even longer since I was on Margaritaville.com). For the past 8 or so years, the Camden/Philly Buffett concert has been a tradition for me and my sons. We started serious tailgating about 6 years ago. Last year, and again this year, we got lucky and found ourselves on the river. This year, we were in the lot with most of you BNers, a few parking spots down from the incredible deck! But we hauled our canopy and supplies down the hill to the walkway along the river. It was fantastic. Friends stopped by while I, as master chef, kept our little grills going with wurst, burgers, dogs and my classic shrimp and pineapple skewers. A light breeze off the river helped us beat the heat...and ample beverages (of all kind) kept us cool as well.

A few comments from the post-concert thread I've been reading. Yes, Camden is not the garden spot of the Garden state, but the area around the Sony Blockbuster/Tweeter/Susquehanna Center is nothing like it was years ago. The amalgam of parking lots is certainly a challenge, and, yes, we are at the mercy of the police and parking attendents. You gotta realized they don't want to be there. (And there are buckets full of attitude that we all are subject to. Perhaps a little better training would be advised, but that is a discussion for another day.) I've found that an offer of a cold bottle of water or a soda works wonders on their attitude. It may not get me what I want (although sometime it does), but it usually gets me a smile and a 'thank you'.

This year, being camped by the river, we watched a parade of local searching the trash cans for empty soda and beer cans. When one guy passed by for the umpteenth time, always in a cheerful mood, I gave him our last wurst on a bun. His reaction and thankfulness was a highlight of the day.

I've never tailgated anywhere but Camden (and at Penn State football games), so I don't have a point of comparison. But, for me, it has always been a pleasure. Yes, we did once get 'harrassed' by the parking crew for our canopy, but paid for an extra parking space (which I thought was only fair) and all was good for the rest of the day (a particularly harsh and hot day as I recall).

Yes, there are 'jerks' and drunks and those looking to take advantage of those partiers who might be ripe for the taking. Growing up in Philly and its surrounds, this is an understood way of life. You step over the drunks, keep your wallet in a safe place, and remember why you came here in the first place - even while standing in line at the PortaPotty (or inside the venue).

We'll be there next year if all goes as planned. We may not get a spot by the river, but we will make the best of where we are - and make the best of who we are with.

For me, this does rank as one of the best concerts I've been to - perhaps ranked only behind one in Cincinnati in, oh maybe 1995 that included a late night 'encore' by Freddy and the Fishsticks (which is another story for another time).

beachbum13
Overkill
Number of Concerts: 50
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum

Post by beachbum13 »

I would have parked at a train and ridden in. Especially when they added insult to injury by charging for parking ( it's included at Nissan/Lube after 2 pm).
Imagine going to the PNC in North Jersey. There's a $25 fee and you can't hang out (tailgate) by your car. Much of the traffic you came a cross was most likely shore traffic. Coming and going...

Summer 2017-
August 17 ~ Jimmy Buffett, BB&T
August 25 - Jason Aldean/Chris Young, BB&T
Kasey Chambers, City Winery NYC & World Café Philly
Deirks Bentley/Cole Swindel - PNC

missingthebeach
Havana Daydreamin'
Favorite Buffett Song: Autour du Rocher
Number of Concerts: 10
Favorite Boat Drink: Blue Whale

Post by missingthebeach »

beachbum13 wrote:
I would have parked at a train and ridden in. Especially when they added insult to injury by charging for parking ( it's included at Nissan/Lube after 2 pm).
Imagine going to the PNC in North Jersey. There's a $25 fee and you can't hang out (tailgate) by your car. Much of the traffic you came a cross was most likely shore traffic. Coming and going...
I don't remember ever paying $25 to park at PNC. We were at the Jethro Tull concert in June and Santana in July. There was some mild tailgating going on (no canopies though). I heard there was a reason why Jimmy won't play PNC. Anything to do with the tailgate ban?
Image ImageImageImage

flipflopgirl
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 53
Favorite Boat Drink: Z-Man's MANGO THINGIES!!!!!
Location: I have been promoted from John Frinzi's stalker to ROADIE!!!! :)

Post by flipflopgirl »

Thanks to everyone for such a great tailgate!!!!!!!!!!!! It was great to see everyone and meet some new friends! Special thanks to MaryKay and Joe and Billy for all the great food they cooked!!! and to Al, Penny and Gabriela for dinner in the parking lot and the ride back to the hotel! Hope to see you all again soon! :D :D :D :D :D
Image "While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats." Mark Twain

OttoCal
I Love the Now!
Number of Concerts: 11

Post by OttoCal »

I was totally ready to pay for an 'extra' space for our tent but when they split off our group and we got exiled to Lot 12 I was so PO'd by that point... well...
anyway- our little compound on the dried out grass/glass had a nice breeze and we weren't too far from the main part of the group. Those are the most disorganized parking lot employees I have ever seen. They should have been lining us up one by one in rows, not just sending people into a lot as a free-for all.

I got our tix from other BNers (YAY for parrothead ticket connections), so I won't get a survey from LN or TM, but if snyone does, please take the time to register our complaints about the lots!!!

TongaTam
Hoot!
Favorite Buffett Song: Migration
Number of Concerts: 75
Favorite Boat Drink: TONGA JUICE!!!

Post by TongaTam »

got some pics up! Take a peek!

http://www.tongatam.com/photogallery/main.php
TongaTam.com
Great Woods 2015 ~ Another Voyage to Paradise April 23, 2016 ~ Campstock ~ High Seas Jamboree 2! ~ Annual after GW at the Combah! ~ MOTM 2015!

maufro
Fruitcake
Favorite Buffett Song: Life Is Just a Tire Swing
Number of Concerts: 40
Favorite Boat Drink: K1

Post by maufro »

Tropic_Al wrote:
docandjeanie wrote:
IrishPirate wrote:My consensus is all in all, it was a fabulous day!!!!Great friends, great food and great entertainment, what more can you ask for???? There are 11 large parking lots which means PLENTY of parking for everyone!!!! There isn't much we can do about the vagrancy in Camden, or anywhere else in the USA apparently! I'm sorry for the people who encountered those who are so much less fortunate than we are, financially as well ethically. I've been to Great Woods, Jones Beach, Nissan, and Tampa and Camden still ranks in my top 2. We have plenty of room to move around and setup camp, we're not packed like sardines and the police and EMT's have access to anyone having problems. And you don't have to lug all your stuff through the parking lot to another area to setup camp only to break it down and lug it back to your car. :x The Venue is beautiful and the city of Camden is struggling to improve itself and trust me it has made great strides in that improvement. If you didn't have a good time I'm sorry we didn't live up to your expectations! :-? I'll be back tomorrow and next year and the year after that and the year after that. . . . . . .
Amen!!! me too :) :) :)
It is what you make it. As the Sauce Boss says "It's all good" 8)
WELL STATED - BEST MAN MADE SHED IN THE COUNTRY - HOW "BOUT THAT BRIDGE :D :D :D :D :D :D

WOW WHAT A DAY!!!!!!!!!!! THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO HOSTED US AT THEIR TAILGATE!!!!!!!!!!! WHAT A GREAT TIME!!!!!!!!!!!
"Integrity is the essence of everything successful"
R. Buckminster Fuller

beachbum13
Overkill

Post by beachbum13 »

Hot Hot Hot

1 Nobody From Nowhere Tuesday - Piece Of Work
2 Fruitcakes
3 License To Chill
4 It's Five O'Clock Somewhere
5 Trip Around The Sun Tuesday Knees Of My Heart
6 Pencil Thin Mustache Tuesday Frank And Lola
7 Volcano
8 Bama Breeze Tuesday If The Phone Doesn't Ring, It's Me
9 Changes In Latitudes, Changes In Attitudes
10 Where The Boat Leaves From
11 One Particular Harbour
12 Big Top

Intermission

13 Mexico
14 Bank Of Bad Habits Tuesday Wings
15 Creola (featuring Nadirah Shakoor)
16 Cheeseburger In Paradise
17 Come Monday
18 Son Of A Son Of A Sailor
19 School Boy Heart Tuesday Gypsies In The Palace
20 A Pirate Looks At Forty
21 Back Where I Come From (featuring Mac)
22 Woman Goin’ Crazy On Caroline Street
23 Southern Cross
24 Margaritaville (with the Lost Verse)

First Encore
25 Pascagoula Run Tuesday Last Man Standing
26 Fins
27 When The Coast Is Clear (Gulf Version) Tuesday Wildflowers

Summer 2017-

beachbum13
Overkill

Post by beachbum13 »

missingthebeach wrote:
beachbum13 wrote:
I don't remember ever paying $25 to park at PNC. We were at the Jethro Tull concert in June and Santana in July. There was some mild tailgating going on (no canopies though). I heard there was a reason why Jimmy won't play PNC. Anything to do with the tailgate ban?

PNC - New Rules.... http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2008/0 ... _with.html

VIP Parking in $29.99 !

From the Live Nation Web Site
Tailgating Information:
There will be no tailgating for the following performances - To Be Determined for 2010 season

After parking their vehicles patrons will be expected to enter the main gates. There will be no opportunity to remain in the parking areas for tailgating. For all other performances patrons will be permitted to gain entry into the parking areas 2 hours prior to show time. Our parking lots open 2 hours prior to show time and doors open 1 hour prior to show time.

Please also note we do permit food in the venue, it must be packed in a clear plastic bag as well as one factory sealed bottle of water per person

Summer 2017-

docandjeanie
Party at the End of the World
Favorite Buffett Song: Migration, Love in the library, Happily Ever after
Number of Concerts: 40
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum Jumbie

Post by docandjeanie »

beachbum13 wrote:Hot Hot Hot

1 Nobody From Nowhere Tuesday - Piece Of Work
2 Fruitcakes
3 License To Chill
4 It's Five O'Clock Somewhere
5 Trip Around The Sun Tuesday Knees Of My Heart
6 Pencil Thin Mustache Tuesday Frank And Lola
7 Volcano
8 Bama Breeze Tuesday If The Phone Doesn't Ring, It's Me
9 Changes In Latitudes, Changes In Attitudes
10 Where The Boat Leaves From
11 One Particular Harbour
12 Big Top

Intermission

13 Mexico
14 Bank Of Bad Habits Tuesday Wings
15 Creola (featuring Nadirah Shakoor)
16 Cheeseburger In Paradise
17 Come Monday
18 Son Of A Son Of A Sailor
19 School Boy Heart Tuesday Gypsies In The Palace
20 A Pirate Looks At Forty
21 Back Where I Come From (featuring Mac)
22 Woman Goin’ Crazy On Caroline Street
23 Southern Cross
24 Margaritaville (with the Lost Verse)

First Encore
25 Pascagoula Run Tuesday Last Man Standing
26 Fins
27 When The Coast Is Clear (Gulf Version) Tuesday Wildflowers
Thanks for doing this. I loved both setlist, but will give the edge to Tuesday :)
ImageImageImage

SunsetChef
Hoot!
Favorite Buffett Song: Sooooo many...
Favorite Boat Drink: 4 Rum Rum Runner

Post by SunsetChef »

A Sentimental SunsetChef Message...

I wanted to take a second to thank all of my "Friends" for helping to repair my broken soul. The past two months have been an extremely difficult time for me and I have been feeling more than "a little lost and lonely" to say the least. I considered quite a few times about passing on this years festivities but a few persistent people talked me into just getting in the car and being there. Once I was able to get off the couch and open the blinds, I pushed to get in the car, then I was able to find the energy to pack it and shop it so I could contribute to the effort.

Over the past few days, the sun has come back out and skies began to clear on my little island. I feel better about things that have happened recently and am beginning to find the acceptance I need to move on. It felt good to feel good again and be part of something like we shared. I feel extremely fortunate to know so many of you and I appreciate the concern, well wishes, and help thats so many unselfishly sent my way.

Apparently, this year was more than a couple of Jimmy Buffett concerts and tailgate parties for me. It wasn't about the scenic Camden venue and parking fiasco, or the no tent/canopy policy, or the leftover garbage in the lots, which I certainly noticed but wouldn't let rent space in my head. It was more about healing and spending unforgetable time with true friends and making new friends while my family and lifelong friends weren't available. This has been an amazing experience and I thank you all. Quite a few of you, and you know who you are, the only way I can thank you is to hopefully be able to repay the kindness that you showed me.

I hope to see you again soon,
Billy.

Saltx3
On a Salty Piece of Land
Favorite Buffett Song: OPH
Number of Concerts: 22
Favorite Boat Drink: MARGARITA, FIREBALL WHISKEY

Post by Saltx3 »

TongaTam wrote:got some pics up! Take a peek!

Thanks for posting -- 8)
SALT, SALT, SALT/Linda

blackjack
At the Bama Breeze
Favorite Buffett Song: One Particular Harbor or Little Miss Magic
Number of Concerts: 17
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum Runner

Post by blackjack »

That IS the beauty of our group Billy!

Glad to see the sun is breaking through the clouds for you!

And those Cuban sammiches were BANGING!!! Way to raise the bar for me.

Time to start planning the menu for next year.

Tropic_Al
Under My Lone Palm
Number of Concerts: 29
Favorite Boat Drink: Just about anything, as long it's in a blue cup.

Post by Tropic_Al »

blackjack wrote:That IS the beauty of our group Billy!

Great to see Sunset Chef back! :D

Should we start planning Hangover Hangout Party 2?
Michael "Tank" Listowski 05.14.54-09.24.08 RIP

blackjack
At the Bama Breeze
Favorite Buffett Song: One Particular Harbor or Little Miss Magic
Number of Concerts: 17
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum Runner

Post by blackjack »

Tropic_Al wrote:

Great to see Sunset Chef back! :D

Should we start planning Hangover Hangout Party 2?
Absolutely!!!

flipflopgirl
Last Man Standing

Post by flipflopgirl »

SunsetChef wrote:A Sentimental SunsetChef Message...

I wanted to take a second to thank all of my "Friends" for helping to repair my broken soul. The past two months have been an extremely difficult time for me and I have been feeling more than "a little lost and lonely" to say the least. I considered quite a few times about passing on this years festivities but a few persistent people talked me into just getting in the car and being there. Once I was able to get off the couch and open the blinds, I pushed to get in the car, then I was able to find the energy to pack it and shop it so I could contribute to the effort.

Over the past few days, the sun has come back out and skies began to clear on my little island. I feel better about things that have happened recently and am beginning to find the acceptance I need to move on. It felt good to feel good again and be part of something like we shared. I feel extremely fortunate to know so many of you and I appreciate the concern, well wishes, and help thats so many unselfishly sent my way.

Apparently, this year was more than a couple of Jimmy Buffett concerts and tailgate parties for me. It wasn't about the scenic Camden venue and parking fiasco, or the no tent/canopy policy, or the leftover garbage in the lots, which I certainly noticed but wouldn't let rent space in my head. It was more about healing and spending unforgetable time with true friends and making new friends while my family and lifelong friends weren't available. This has been an amazing experience and I thank you all. Quite a few of you, and you know who you are, the only way I can thank you is to hopefully be able to repay the kindness that you showed me.

I hope to see you again soon,
Billy.

((((((((((((((((((((BILLY))))))))))))))))) I know i am not speaking for myself when i tell you how happy i was to see you there!!!!!! and thanks again for all of the awesome food!!!! My brother was very jealous over the taylor ham,egg and cheese sandwiches!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: love you my friend!!! MUAH!!!!!!!!!!
Image "While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats." Mark Twain

flipflopgirl
Last Man Standing

Post by flipflopgirl »

:o :o :o i am still full from all the pork loin i ate! :oops: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Thanks again to you and MaryKay for the great food!

surfpirate
Here We Are
Favorite Buffett Song: African Friend
Number of Concerts: 98

Post by surfpirate »

TongaTam wrote:got some pics up! Take a peek!

Great pics. Wow .... NEXT YEAR I gotta go to Camden.

I see my poster image was made into a badge by someone. Cool.
"There are no stupid questions. But there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots."
BNCRITTERS.COM | TWITTER | FACEBOOK | SURF SHOP |

OttoCal
I Love the Now!
Number of Concerts: 11

Post by OttoCal »

Here's some more pictures. As some of you know, my camera got lost :( on Saturday. It had an address label, so I am hoping for a miracle recovery, but who knows. So these aren't from my camera. 8) They were taken by a sober person with 2 actual arms in use...

http://picasaweb.google.com/lisa.everts ... directlink