Who's going to Paris 2011 9-26-11 ??

Meet up with some of your friends from BN and find out who's going to the show

Moderators: SMLCHNG, Saltx3

no shoes
Overkill
Favorite Buffett Song: West Nashville Grand Ballroom gowns
Number of Concerts: 36
Favorite Boat Drink: Earl Grey :-)

Re: Who's going to Paris 2011 9-26-11 ??

Post by no shoes »

dnw wrote:Aren't all the Brits that you've met extremely nice? :D
You called ?

:D

dnw
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by dnw »

:D :D :D

Yes, can't wait to see you and Andy in KW!!!

Debbie

brznbeaches
We are the People our Parents Warned us
Favorite Buffett Song: Carnival World
Number of Concerts: 40
Favorite Boat Drink: Mojito

Post by brznbeaches »

Here's a link to my album of Paris. Still can't believe I was that close!

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... a05&type=1
Bristow 09.09 LAS 10.09 Camden 08.07.10 PGH0 8.12.10 Bristow 09.04.10 LAS 10.23.10 EYW 11.1-7.10 TPA 04.16.11 Frisco 05.21.11 PGH 06.21.11 BristowBOYCOTT/HURRICANE Paris 09.26.11 EYW 11.4.11 TPA 3.30.12 PGH 6.28.12 Bristow 9.1.12 ...??? Bristow 8.16.14 Bristow 6.20.15 Camden 8.17.17

brznbeaches
We are the People our Parents Warned us
Favorite Buffett Song: Carnival World
Number of Concerts: 40
Favorite Boat Drink: Mojito

Post by brznbeaches »

no shoes wrote:
dnw wrote:Aren't all the Brits that you've met extremely nice? :D
You called ?

:D
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Bristow 09.09 LAS 10.09 Camden 08.07.10 PGH0 8.12.10 Bristow 09.04.10 LAS 10.23.10 EYW 11.1-7.10 TPA 04.16.11 Frisco 05.21.11 PGH 06.21.11 BristowBOYCOTT/HURRICANE Paris 09.26.11 EYW 11.4.11 TPA 3.30.12 PGH 6.28.12 Bristow 9.1.12 ...??? Bristow 8.16.14 Bristow 6.20.15 Camden 8.17.17

DCBob
Nibblin' on sponge cake
Favorite Buffett Song: Pirate
Number of Concerts: 50

Post by DCBob »

It's taken me a while to get back into the swing of things and add my comments on the show.

Well, for the second year in a row, Jimmy gave the flipflops to the wrong person. He gave them to the "first in the door" guy. Unfortunately, that was the guy who security let go right through while holding up Matt, who was truely first in the outside door. And first in line. After waiting all day in line, the rude french head security guy decided to frisk Matt and then me, I was third in the door, while the two other lines just let people right through. Those that got through ahead of us at least understood to leave the front section right in front of the Jimmy open for us. I would be curious if Jimmy even wondered how come they were not front and center if they were first in the door?.... Regardless, Jimmy is 0 for 2 on the flip-flops for the Olympia.

Rationalize it all you want - dude with the flipflops - Jimmy really meant them for Matt.

So my conclusion is that it is no longer worth waiting in line all day at the Olympia because security is just going to mess with you. At least I kept my camera. I can't believe that they were taking cameras in this day and age when every phone has one.

Some people in the front of the line, Jill and Joek for example, had bought their tickets through the promoter. The Olympia would not release the tickets early. So they had to buy new tickets so they could get in the door when the opened. Otherwise they would have waited in line all day for nothing. The Olympia just doesn't care about the customer.

The show was cut off at 10:00. This is why it seemed so short. They had a sign posted in the lobby saying the show ends at 10:00. My guess it is some kind of school night curfew thing. Thanks Olympia - No Southern Cross, no Last Mango.

Otherwise it was a great if short show. It was great seeing everyone again. I missed those that couldn't make it this year. I doubt I will go back to the Olympia and certainly won't be wasting my time in line again.

I have some pictures I will post and some video's to get up on UTube later in the week.

Karacal
Party at the End of the World
Number of Concerts: 31
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum & Diet Coke

Post by Karacal »

Thanks for the recap, Bob. Sorry about all the problems. Looking forward to seeing your pictures and video. Still wish we could have joined y'all this year!
Barbara

Image Image

conched
Last Man Standing

Post by conched »

brznbeaches wrote:Here's a link to my album of Paris. Still can't believe I was that close!

Great great photos, Laurie.
(Sorry I called you Brown LA Haze...instead of brznbeaches...in another thread, but saw you in a youtube video ...right up front. Way to go!!!!)

Karacal

Post by Karacal »

brznbeaches wrote:Here's a link to my album of Paris. Still can't believe I was that close!

Enjoyed the pictures. It brought back some great memories from '09. Thanks for sharing! :D
Barbara

Image Image

dnw
Last Man Standing

Post by dnw »

Great photos, Laurie. I hope you haven't washed your hand that shook Jimmy's hand. :D

Debbie

dnw
Last Man Standing

Post by dnw »

DCBob wrote:It's taken me a while to get back into the swing of things and add my comments on the show.

Well, for the second year in a row, Jimmy gave the flipflops to the wrong person. He gave them to the "first in the door" guy. Unfortunately, that was the guy who security let go right through while holding up Matt, who was truely first in the outside door. And first in line. After waiting all day in line, the rude french head security guy decided to frisk Matt and then me, I was third in the door, while the two other lines just let people right through. Those that got through ahead of us at least understood to leave the front section right in front of the Jimmy open for us. I would be curious if Jimmy even wondered how come they were not front and center if they were first in the door?.... Regardless, Jimmy is 0 for 2 on the flip-flops for the Olympia.

Rationalize it all you want - dude with the flipflops - Jimmy really meant them for Matt.

So my conclusion is that it is no longer worth waiting in line all day at the Olympia because security is just going to mess with you. At least I kept my camera. I can't believe that they were taking cameras in this day and age when every phone has one.

Some people in the front of the line, Jill and Joek for example, had bought their tickets through the promoter. The Olympia would not release the tickets early. So they had to buy new tickets so they could get in the door when the opened. Otherwise they would have waited in line all day for nothing. The Olympia just doesn't care about the customer.

The show was cut off at 10:00. This is why it seemed so short. They had a sign posted in the lobby saying the show ends at 10:00. My guess it is some kind of school night curfew thing. Thanks Olympia - No Southern Cross, no Last Mango.

Otherwise it was a great if short show. It was great seeing everyone again. I missed those that couldn't make it this year. I doubt I will go back to the Olympia and certainly won't be wasting my time in line again.

I have some pictures I will post and some video's to get up on UTube later in the week.

Sorry, Bob, about the security issue. Glad you still got to be up front. I was hoping you would get the flip flops. :(

Debbie

no shoes
Overkill

Post by no shoes »

DCBob wrote:It's taken me a while to get back into the swing of things and add my comments on the show.

Bob - I think that you have summed it up very well! I will still go if it happens again - but would no longer spend all day in the queue. The security set up, really spoilt the whole feel of the place :-(

Wonder if they are quite so 'forceful' with all those Charles Azanvor fans.......

no shoes
Overkill

Post by no shoes »

P.S. It was really good to see you Bob xx

DCBob
Nibblin' on sponge cake

Post by DCBob »

It was sure great seeing you too and catching up on lost time!

See you on up the road!

prthead99
Southeast of disorder
Favorite Buffett Song: SchoolBoy Heart
Number of Concerts: 58
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum Punch

Post by prthead99 »

Great summary Bob the security was horrible but may next year ill get a flip flop. Otherwise it was a great show lots of fun it was nice seeing everyone there again and meeting some new friends. Hopefully there well be a Florida run next spring and we will see you all there . Phins up everyone.....

Parrotheadukchris
Nibblin' on sponge cake
Favorite Buffett Song: Trying to Reason
Number of Concerts: 6
Favorite Boat Drink: Dark Star Ales

Post by Parrotheadukchris »

Cheryl & Luc wrote:[Thank you so very much for posting your pix.
My camera was snagged by security. :cry:
I couldnt believe how strict they were being about cameras etc. It all seemed a bit arbitary........[/quote]

Yeah just my luck. 2500 people, all with at least one photo device and I am one of the 20 or so to get snagged.

FWIW I kept hearing that others had problems as well with the same security girl. I heard a number of ladies commenting on her very aggressive and overly thorough pat downs. Luc was in the other line, tickets in hand, and he said they didn't look in his backpack, just had him unzip it. And only a cursory pat.

I also wasn't happy that I couldn't get my will call tickets until the doors opened.

Note to Jimmy, L'Olympia was not very Parrothead friendly this year. Can we go back to La Cigale?[/quote]

I agree with you 100%[/quote]

I liked La Cigale better too. I had a problem with security as well. Not good when you stand in line from 10:30 am and some people are held back by security (like me!!) and others can go on in. Luckily those that were in line with me gave me a break and I was able to get up front. The security people I encountered pulled me aside and went through everything I had...and then some! Not a problem if they do that for everyone, but it appeared to be random.[/quote]

-------------------------------------------------------
Hopefully Jimmy's marketing folks check these boards.[/quote]

Welcome to France.

I found myself saying "They couldn't organise a pi55 up in a brewery" several times during the day, mainly because of the ticketing issue. We were really fed up having queued since 12, to be told we had to pick up tickets on the way in. But I had no idea about the camara issue. In my view that's theft given that camara's were clearly allowed, I'm assuming you didn't get them back on the way out.

I know Jimmy likes playing in Paris but I wonder if he knows just how many French are in the audience. I haven't met one yet, but can count, at the least, Austrians, Swiss, Italians, Spanish, Greeks, Germans, Irish and Scoots as well as the many English and Americans there this year. I'm more confident about London next year, and think Jimmy might tie it in with the Olympics. Given that there will be lots of American's knocking around London at that time it might mean a bigger venue. The bad news for me is that I'm already booked to get out of town when the Olympics are on. But I won't go to Paris again. I said it last year and relented, but the treatment over ticketing was the final straw for me, and that's before I knew about the camaras.

As for the flip flops, all I can say is that both went to people who had at least queued up all day, maybe not the first in the queue but dedicated parrotheads. I hope that's some consolation Bob. And on a rough calculation they are two thousand miles apart now.

Thanks to all who made the weekend so enjoyable this year.

Chris.

DCBob
Nibblin' on sponge cake

Post by DCBob »

Chris, thanks for your comments.

For the record, I was not first in the door and would not have gotten them. Also, for the record, last year Jimmy handed me the flipflops, thinking I was the one who gave him the shark. I gave them to the Jill and Joek, who he had intended them for. So from my standpoint, there's no consolotion, as I was never in the picture on getting them. Jimmy's intent was to give them to the first in the door. Matt was first in line and first in the front door. Security created the situation that someone else, who also was in line most of the day, and a dedicated fan, made it to the front rail before Matt. So I really don't care what continent they are on or how you rationalize it. Matt was first in the door and Jimmy in good faith gave them to who he thought was first. That's twice in a row his intent has not matched the reality.

I will state again, just like you said, everyone worked it out without any issues for space on the rail up front. My thanks to all for that great spirit.

As for wishing for La Cigale, there they let a bunch of people in early and they took the spots right in front of Jimmy. No idea why. In London, I had friends wait in line for the seats, which were also first come, first serve. Only to find "reserved" signs and ushers keeping them out of the best seats. Apparently reserved for the promoter's friends. In New Morning, it was people just pushing their way up front and causing conflicts.

All in all, my main point is that waiting all day in line always seems to have something happen that is caused by the venue, promoter or other fans. In the scheme of things it is still pretty good, but taking camera's, not giving out will-call tickets in advance, and not maintaining the order for the people up front just didn't need to happen. As a result my Paris line days are probably over.

Cheryl & Luc
Nibblin' on sponge cake
Favorite Buffett Song: Way too many, iPod filled
Number of Concerts: 15
Favorite Boat Drink: Diet Rum & Coke, extra lime, tall glass

Post by Cheryl & Luc »

I have always said that September in Paris was meant to justify a tax write off for Jimmy's Oktoberfest trip. So, using that logic, he will most certainly be in London next summer. lol

They returned the cameras at the end of the show. Otherwise, I'd probably still be sitting in a Paris jail.

We are due to return to the states in 2013 so I'll be there regardless of the venue.
Cheryl & Luc
On down to the Rhein

dnw
Last Man Standing

Post by dnw »

DCBob wrote:Chris, thanks for your comments.

For the record, I was not first in the door and would not have gotten them. Also, for the record, last year Jimmy handed me the flipflops, thinking I was the one who gave him the shark. I gave them to the Jill and Joek, who he had intended them for. So from my standpoint, there's no consolotion, as I was never in the picture on getting them. Jimmy's intent was to give them to the first in the door. Matt was first in line and first in the front door. Security created the situation that someone else, who also was in line most of the day, and a dedicated fan, made it to the front rail before Matt. So I really don't care what continent they are on or how you rationalize it. Matt was first in the door and Jimmy in good faith gave them to who he thought was first. That's twice in a row his intent has not matched the reality.

I will state again, just like you said, everyone worked it out without any issues for space on the rail up front. My thanks to all for that great spirit.

As for wishing for La Cigale, there they let a bunch of people in early and they took the spots right in front of Jimmy. No idea why. In London, I had friends wait in line for the seats, which were also first come, first serve. Only to find "reserved" signs and ushers keeping them out of the best seats. Apparently reserved for the promoter's friends. In New Morning, it was people just pushing their way up front and causing conflicts.

All in all, my main point is that waiting all day in line always seems to have something happen that is caused by the venue, promoter or other fans. In the scheme of things it is still pretty good, but taking camera's, not giving out will-call tickets in advance, and not maintaining the order for the people up front just didn't need to happen. As a result my Paris line days are probably over.

After waiting in line at La Cigale for 14 1/2 hours, it was "kinda upsetting" that the people they let in early had tickets for the balcony section, but decided they wanted to stand in front of Jimmy. As Jimmy's "special guests" they got front center and we were pushed to the sides, but we were close enough we could have touched his feet. :D All we wanted was an autograph. :cry: :cry: :cry: But, what fun we had in the queue with our new found friends that have remained some of the nicest parrot heads we have ever met! Gonna see some you at MOTM in 18 days! And I will return to another JB concert in Paris, but I'll get balcony seats. :D

Debbie

Karacal

Post by Karacal »

dnw wrote:
DCBob wrote:Chris, thanks for your comments.

After waiting in line at La Cigale for 14 1/2 hours, it was "kinda upsetting" that the people they let in early had tickets for the balcony section, but decided they wanted to stand in front of Jimmy. As Jimmy's "special guests" they got front center and we were pushed to the sides, but we were close enough we could have touched his feet. :D All we wanted was an autograph. :cry: :cry: :cry: But, what fun we had in the queue with our new found friends that have remained some of the nicest parrot heads we have ever met! Gonna see some you at MOTM in 18 days! And I will return to another JB concert in Paris, but I'll get balcony seats. :D
wDs! It is an experience I will never forget and so glad for the opportunity because of the people we met. I will never forget sitting in front of La Cigale before daylight. :lol: I would love to go back to Paris because well it's Paris! Still hoping for London!!
Barbara

Image Image

dnw
Last Man Standing

Post by dnw »

Let us hope that the air fare to London comes down!

Debbie