Who's going to Great Woods, August 19, 2017?

Meet up with some of your friends from BN and find out who's going to the show

Moderator: SMLCHNG

urlcenter
Behind Door #3
Number of Concerts: 6

Re: Who's going to Great Woods, August 19, 2017?

Post by urlcenter »

TommyBahama wrote: August 21, 2017 9:33 am
MDShark70 wrote: August 21, 2017 9:13 am That was a really good and enjoyable show. Jimmy sure seemed like he was still having fun. (Thank God the Tiki Bar is Open started off a little poorly but they recovered). The sound system definitely seemed like it was upgraded. Much better. I was a little surprised the entire lawn was much. I didn't even see a blade of grass.

It was pretty funny watching the police get so frustrated with the traffic. The venue was the one holding everything back. We had a "spotter" at the convenience store there on the corner and he was saying that the cops let about 15 cars in and the guy with the venue started jumping up and down screaming "no!". So it stopped for a few minutes and then they just caved in. The parking lot at the little shopping center down the street was packed with cars, buses and RVs. I'm sure they loved that. You'd think with the amount of people showing up to tailgate they'd just let them trickle in as they arrive instead of waiting for a complete cluster to develop. Ah well. A good time was had by all. Sure hope Jimmy has a few more in him.
It may also have to do what time xfinity staffers showed , security team , and when they were put in place. They probably couldn't just open without attendants.
The Xfinity Center had an agreement with the Town of Mansfield on the 1pm time that is probably why the Xfinity Center employee got so upset
TommyBahama
Diamond as Big as The Ritz
Favorite Buffett Song: No particular Favorite
Number of Concerts: 86
Favorite Boat Drink: yes please
Location: Connecticut--May your time be filled with relaxing sunsets,cool drinks and sand between your toes.

Post by TommyBahama »

urlcenter wrote: August 21, 2017 12:25 pm
MDShark70 wrote: August 21, 2017 9:13 am That was a really good and enjoyable show. Jimmy sure seemed like he was still having fun. (Thank God the Tiki Bar is Open started off a little poorly but they recovered). The sound system definitely seemed like it was upgraded. Much better. I was a little surprised the entire lawn was much. I didn't even see a blade of grass.

It was pretty funny watching the police get so frustrated with the traffic. The venue was the one holding everything back. We had a "spotter" at the convenience store there on the corner and he was saying that the cops let about 15 cars in and the guy with the venue started jumping up and down screaming "no!". So it stopped for a few minutes and then they just caved in. The parking lot at the little shopping center down the street was packed with cars, buses and RVs. I'm sure they loved that. You'd think with the amount of people showing up to tailgate they'd just let them trickle in as they arrive instead of waiting for a complete cluster to develop. Ah well. A good time was had by all. Sure hope Jimmy has a few more in him.
It may also have to do what time xfinity staffers showed , security team , and when they were put in place. They probably couldn't just open without attendants.
The Xfinity Center had an agreement with the Town of Mansfield on the 1pm time that is probably why the Xfinity Center employee got so upset
Also in Buffett's contract 1PM. On a side note , when I was arriving , The Buffett motorcade was coming in , the usual line of black limo busses and SUV's 1st car passenger side a guy had his window down giving the Fins Up. However Buffett had a decoy , he came in about a 1/2 hour later. That was a 1st.
urlcenter
Behind Door #3

Post by urlcenter »

TommyBahama wrote: August 21, 2017 12:31 pm
urlcenter wrote: August 21, 2017 12:25 pm

Also in Buffett's contract 1PM. On a side note , when I was arriving , The Buffett motorcade was coming in , the usual line of black limo busses and SUV's 1st car passenger side a guy had his window down giving the Fins Up. However Buffett had a decoy , he came in about a 1/2 hour later. That was a 1st.
Jimmy reportedly tried to get the 11am opening time but the Town of Mansfield would not budge
fisherno5
Nibblin' on sponge cake
Favorite Buffett Song: Jolly Mon
Number of Concerts: 20

Post by fisherno5 »

We were in the Crossfit parking lot about 1/4 mile up the road from the Xfinity Center. The whole lot was filled with parrotheads, who as always, were making the best of it in ways we only know how! At the same time, lots of frustration was being vented by all in the parking lot, as the traffic was just building and building. The business owners had the cops in the parking lot and were complaining, but the cops didn't make us leave. They seemed overwhelmed too. I'm sure if the 1pm time sticks for next year, lots of those businesses will be hiring cops to keep us out. Total disaster! With that being said, I hope they go back to 11am next year, and much fun was had by all and we loved the concert. Still a great tailgate!
TommyBahama
Location: Connecticut--May your time be filled with relaxing sunsets,cool drinks and sand between your toes.

Post by TommyBahama »

fisherno5 wrote: August 22, 2017 6:58 am We were in the Crossfit parking lot about 1/4 mile up the road from the Xfinity Center. The whole lot was filled with parrotheads, who as always, were making the best of it in ways we only know how! At the same time, lots of frustration was being vented by all in the parking lot, as the traffic was just building and building. The business owners had the cops in the parking lot and were complaining, but the cops didn't make us leave. They seemed overwhelmed too. I'm sure if the 1pm time sticks for next year, lots of those businesses will be hiring cops to keep us out. Total disaster! With that being said, I hope they go back to 11am next year, and much fun was had by all and we loved the concert. Still a great tailgate!
We do have to remember , other shows lots open at 3:30 0R 4:00 , it's a bonus that we get them opened at 1. I heard through xfinity people it was because they , like other xfinity venues are having a huge issue with underage drinking. A show in Hartford had 50 arrest for underage drinking the night before. I doubt we will see 11 again , especially if they didn't have any issues this year. But , next year is a ways away , he may do Fenway again. He may take time off ( like he said he was doing this year..LOL)
Dr.Corona
Party at the End of the World
Favorite Buffett Song: Apocalypso..no..Semi-True Story..no.Creola..no..REGGAE ACCIDENT!!
Favorite Boat Drink: As if you HAD to ask!!

Post by Dr.Corona »

TommyBahama wrote: August 22, 2017 7:53 am
fisherno5 wrote: August 22, 2017 6:58 am We were in the Crossfit parking lot about 1/4 mile up the road from the Xfinity Center. The whole lot was filled with parrotheads, who as always, were making the best of it in ways we only know how! At the same time, lots of frustration was being vented by all in the parking lot, as the traffic was just building and building. The business owners had the cops in the parking lot and were complaining, but the cops didn't make us leave. They seemed overwhelmed too. I'm sure if the 1pm time sticks for next year, lots of those businesses will be hiring cops to keep us out. Total disaster! With that being said, I hope they go back to 11am next year, and much fun was had by all and we loved the concert. Still a great tailgate!
We do have to remember , other shows lots open at 3:30 0R 4:00 , it's a bonus that we get them opened at 1. I heard through xfinity people it was because they , like other xfinity venues are having a huge issue with underage drinking. A show in Hartford had 50 arrest for underage drinking the night before. I doubt we will see 11 again , especially if they didn't have any issues this year. But , next year is a ways away , he may do Fenway again. He may take time off ( like he said he was doing this year..LOL)
Ultimately, that's the excellent point Tom. It was a great run when your lots opened earlier....but be happy you get in at 1:00.
Here in Detroit (Pine Knob/DTE) our announced time has been 2:00 with a real time entry of anywhere from 12:30-1:00. I've found that to be Plenty of time to party.
Side note, when I first started coming to PK in mid 70's you could bring in your own beer including a frickin' KEG into the venue. Once again, nice run while it lasted. No sense in bitching about the fact that you can't any longer.
Again, as you pointed out normal shows at the venues they clamp down on the partying in the lot & don't allow entry until much much later, so enjoy the liberties that we do have. Think of it as a Lovely Cruise & thankfully we're still able to enjoy most of if!
Corona by day, Corona by night, any old time is just alright!Image
drunkpirate66
Here We Are
Favorite Buffett Song: Take Another Road
Number of Concerts: 67
Favorite Boat Drink: Beers.

Post by drunkpirate66 »

Dr.Corona wrote: August 22, 2017 9:40 am
Ultimately, that's the excellent point Tom. It was a great run when your lots opened earlier....but be happy you get in at 1:00.
Here in Detroit (Pine Knob/DTE) our announced time has been 2:00 with a real time entry of anywhere from 12:30-1:00. I've found that to be Plenty of time to party.
Side note, when I first started coming to PK in mid 70's you could bring in your own beer including a frickin' KEG into the venue. Once again, nice run while it lasted. No sense in bitching about the fact that you can't any longer.
Again, as you pointed out normal shows at the venues they clamp down on the partying in the lot & don't allow entry until much much later, so enjoy the liberties that we do have. Think of it as a Lovely Cruise & thankfully we're still able to enjoy most of if!
I think a lot of people who have been going to Buffett shows at Great Woods for many years get disappointed because we have gone from 4 shows in one week where people would start partying in the parking lot before 8 am . . . down to 2 shows that were usually the Labor Day weekend shows where people usually starting partying in the parking lot around or just after am . . . . down to 2 shows on some random dates that were still fun . . . down to 1 show show with the lots opening at 11 . . . . down to 1 show with the lots opening at 1. But I agree 100%! Enjoy it while it lasts and make the most of it especially since GW still tends to get a Saturday show. But compared to what it used to be its pretty tame. Still a fun few hours and the crowd during the show was so pumped and Jimmy looked great. I'll take a few more years of it if you please.
the hit and run is as good as any religion around this time of year . . .
Fineas
I have found me a home
Favorite Buffett Song: Pirate
Number of Concerts: 40

Post by Fineas »

With how the whole 1:00 pm opening time played out with all the traffic, I'm sure all the business owners in the area who has their lots filled up by everyone waiting will have a few choice words for the Town of Mansfield / XFinity.

I am grateful that we're allowed in at a time that is well before the usual opening time for the lots for any other concert at Great Woods. However, if they stick to 1:00 pm, they're going to have to figure out the traffic issue.

In any event, it was still a great time. The weather was perfect (albeit just a tad warm) and Jimmy put on a great show, as always.

Fingers are crossed for next year.
TommyBahama

Post by TommyBahama »

Fineas wrote: August 22, 2017 11:00 am
With how the whole 1:00 pm opening time played out with all the traffic, I'm sure all the business owners in the area who has their lots filled up by everyone waiting will have a few choice words for the Town of Mansfield / XFinity.

I am grateful that we're allowed in at a time that is well before the usual opening time for the lots for any other concert at Great Woods. However, if they stick to 1:00 pm, they're going to have to figure out the traffic issue.

In any event, it was still a great time. The weather was perfect (albeit just a tad warm) and Jimmy put on a great show, as always.

Fingers are crossed for next year.
There shouldn't be any traffic issue , if people listened , read there tickets and respect the businesses.
BottleofRum
Chewin' on a Honeysuckle Vine
Favorite Buffett Song: He Went to Paris: It's My Job
Favorite Boat Drink: Barbancourt Rhum

Post by BottleofRum »

Charge $25 per car/$50 per RV for an 9am-1pm arrival pre-pay, tack on an additional $5 for paying the day of for an early arrival and still make it free parking after 1pm. Give a percentage of the money collected back to the town of Mansfield. If they get 1,000 cars and 20 or so RVs arriving early they are taking in close to $30K. If they kick back a third to the town, a third to pay for early staffing/policing, and a third to the venue each stakeholder is taking in about $10K. And the traffic would be spread out over the course of the day making the locals happy as well.
- - “If it doesn't work out there will never be any doubt that the pleasure was worth all the pain.”
TommyBahama

Post by TommyBahama »

BottleofRum wrote: August 22, 2017 11:29 am Charge $25 per car/$50 per RV for an 9am-1pm arrival pre-pay, tack on an additional $5 for paying the day of for an early arrival and still make it free parking after 1pm. Give a percentage of the money collected back to the town of Mansfield. If they get 1,000 cars and 20 or so RVs arriving early they are taking in close to $30K. If they kick back a third to the town, a third to pay for early staffing/policing, and a third to the venue each stakeholder is taking in about $10K. And the traffic would be spread out over the course of the day making the locals happy as well.
That sounds great , but the main reason for the change is under age drinking , excessive drinking and people there to just drink and party ( checking tickets sorta helps that , but you can make copies). They are trying to cut down on that. Opening early doesn't help that. Also that is one of the reasons it was in Jimmy's Contract , to open at 1.
Dr.Corona
Party at the End of the World
Favorite Buffett Song: Apocalypso..no..Semi-True Story..no.Creola..no..REGGAE ACCIDENT!!
Favorite Boat Drink: As if you HAD to ask!!

Post by Dr.Corona »

TommyBahama wrote: August 22, 2017 11:36 am
BottleofRum wrote: August 22, 2017 11:29 am Charge $25 per car/$50 per RV for an 9am-1pm arrival pre-pay, tack on an additional $5 for paying the day of for an early arrival and still make it free parking after 1pm. Give a percentage of the money collected back to the town of Mansfield. If they get 1,000 cars and 20 or so RVs arriving early they are taking in close to $30K. If they kick back a third to the town, a third to pay for early staffing/policing, and a third to the venue each stakeholder is taking in about $10K. And the traffic would be spread out over the course of the day making the locals happy as well.
That sounds great , but the main reason for the change is under age drinking , excessive drinking and people there to just drink and party ( checking tickets sorta helps that , but you can make copies). They are trying to cut down on that. Opening early doesn't help that. Also that is one of the reasons it was in Jimmy's Contract , to open at 1.
Not sure how thorough your venue was at checking tix but this year I barely flashed 1 ticket (paper) at the attendant & our party of 4 was told good enough........ [smilie=noeyedear-shrugging.gif]
Corona by day, Corona by night, any old time is just alright!Image
TommyBahama

Post by TommyBahama »

Dr.Corona wrote: August 22, 2017 1:48 pm
TommyBahama wrote: August 22, 2017 11:36 am
Not sure how thorough your venue was at checking tix but this year I barely flashed 1 ticket (paper) at the attendant & our party of 4 was told good enough........ [smilie=noeyedear-shrugging.gif]
they asked for mine , and I got there late , around 2:30 - 3:00 , of course I didn't have a ticket. Someone was nice enough to put me on a will call list.
Fineas
I have found me a home

Post by Fineas »

I know we would definitely pay to get in early. But then again, I think most people would and I think the traffic issue would just continue.
BottleofRum

Post by BottleofRum »

Except traffic wasn't really an issue last week, at least when we got there about 1pm. There was a little traffic but we were in and parked about 15-20 after arriving in the GW area. I didn't find traffic any more or less an issue than year's past. The bigger issue could be people hanging out in parking lots of businesses near GW all morning annoying the locals.
- - “If it doesn't work out there will never be any doubt that the pleasure was worth all the pain.”
Fineas
I have found me a home

Post by Fineas »

BottleofRum wrote: August 24, 2017 10:49 am Except traffic wasn't really an issue last week, at least when we got there about 1pm. There was a little traffic but we were in and parked about 15-20 after arriving in the GW area. I didn't find traffic any more or less an issue than year's past. The bigger issue could be people hanging out in parking lots of businesses near GW all morning annoying the locals.
That's exactly what was happening. All the available parking areas around the GW entrance were full with people waiting for the gates to open. I'm sure the business owners didn't appreciate it. The traffic in that immediate area between 12:00 pm and 1:00 pm was bumper to bumper.
TommyBahama

Post by TommyBahama »

Fineas wrote: August 24, 2017 10:54 am
BottleofRum wrote: August 24, 2017 10:49 am Except traffic wasn't really an issue last week, at least when we got there about 1pm. There was a little traffic but we were in and parked about 15-20 after arriving in the GW area. I didn't find traffic any more or less an issue than year's past. The bigger issue could be people hanging out in parking lots of businesses near GW all morning annoying the locals.
That's exactly what was happening. All the available parking areas around the GW entrance were full with people waiting for the gates to open. I'm sure the business owners didn't appreciate it. The traffic in that immediate area between 12:00 pm and 1:00 pm was bumper to bumper.
I'm guessing businesses next year will block there lots. They do that around Gillette , or they use to.
BottleofRum

Post by BottleofRum »

^^
For some of the smaller places this will keep people out of their lots but for super markets it won't. All you'd have to say is you need to go into the store shopping which most people do before going into the show and as a customer they won't turn you away. Plus the Shaw's lot is so big I don't think it was a big deal with them. Even with us there for about 90 min their lot still had plenty of room. Shaw's also embraces the Buffett concert day so much so all their employees wear Hawaiian shirts, leis and they play Buffett music in the store. The bigger issue is people circling Great Woods over and over again while other cars are arriving.
TommyBahama

Post by TommyBahama »

BottleofRum wrote: August 24, 2017 1:09 pm ^^
For some of the smaller places this will keep people out of their lots but for super markets it won't. All you'd have to say is you need to go into the store shopping which most people do before going into the show and as a customer they won't turn you away. Plus the Shaw's lot is so big I don't think it was a big deal with them. Even with us there for about 90 min their lot still had plenty of room. Shaw's also embraces the Buffett concert day so much so all their employees wear Hawaiian shirts, leis and they play Buffett music in the store. The bigger issue is people circling Great Woods over and over again while other cars are arriving.
I agree with that , I'm talking about the ones near the venue. Those are mostly small businesses. The other thing I'd do , is to charge people to park there , that way as a small business owner , I don't lose money. But , yes the Shaw lot is huge , and always good to us. Plus people are buying something , whether it's a coffee or ice. They are making money off of us. I'm not sure on what type of businesses are closer to the venue. You could always line up in the TPC lot...I'm sure that would go over well.