Who's going to Great Woods, August 19, 2017?

Meet up with some of your friends from BN and find out who's going to the show

Moderator: SMLCHNG

BottleofRum
Chewin' on a Honeysuckle Vine
Favorite Buffett Song: He Went to Paris: It's My Job
Favorite Boat Drink: Barbancourt Rhum

Re: Who's going to Great Woods, August 19, 2017?

Post by BottleofRum »

That's because you're usually done one the tip hits it... :lol:
- - “If it doesn't work out there will never be any doubt that the pleasure was worth all the pain.”
Fineas
I have found me a home
Favorite Buffett Song: Pirate
Number of Concerts: 40

Post by Fineas »

MDShark70 wrote: August 11, 2017 11:34 am Is anybody buying the "lots at 1pm" that is printed on the tickets? I can't see them stemming the traffic that long. Anybody local have any insight?
So, what about this? Anyone know?
Chip
I have found me a home
Favorite Buffett Song: A Pirate Looks at 40
Number of Concerts: 20
Favorite Boat Drink: Margarita of course!

Post by Chip »

Fineas wrote: August 11, 2017 6:40 pm
MDShark70 wrote: August 11, 2017 11:34 am Is anybody buying the "lots at 1pm" that is printed on the tickets? I can't see them stemming the traffic that long. Anybody local have any insight?
Yes.... Wondering minds would like to know.
Cork's at 9AM, 10AM, 11AM???

Are the lots really opening at 1PM (WTF!!!)?
I made enough money to buy Miami but I pi$$ed it away so fast
TommyBahama
Diamond as Big as The Ritz
Favorite Buffett Song: No particular Favorite
Number of Concerts: 86
Favorite Boat Drink: yes please
Location: Connecticut--May your time be filled with relaxing sunsets,cool drinks and sand between your toes.

Post by TommyBahama »

Chip wrote: August 11, 2017 8:55 pm
Fineas wrote: August 11, 2017 6:40 pm
Yes.... Wondering minds would like to know.
Cork's at 9AM, 10AM, 11AM???

Are the lots really opening at 1PM (WTF!!!)?
All indications is yes!!!
drunkpirate66
Here We Are
Favorite Buffett Song: Take Another Road
Number of Concerts: 67
Favorite Boat Drink: Beers.

Post by drunkpirate66 »

Its 1pm. Unless things really get crazy outside the venue and traffic is backed up onto the highway. They might let people in then but it will still be after 12. I'm honestly okay with it. I remember when Jimmy did 4 shows in one week at GW. That was epic. Then it was two shows around Labor Day every year. Epic. Then we started getting Fenway shows, Monday-Wednesday at GW shows (that was the worst), and Gillette Stadium shows. All fun but it never was the same after that. Last few years it was one show, granted a Saturday, with 11 pm start times. I remember back when the lot would start to fill up around 8 am (or earlier) for multiple shows. That was hedonism at its finest. The last few years is nothing more then a fun afternoon. 1pm is what is what but I don't take it for granted and neither should anyone who has been along for the Great Woods ride for as long as I have. Its the Super Bowl of Buffett and as much as 1 pm might s*** we'll miss it in 2 - 3 years when its not happening at all.
the hit and run is as good as any religion around this time of year . . .
TommyBahama
Location: Connecticut--May your time be filled with relaxing sunsets,cool drinks and sand between your toes.

Post by TommyBahama »

drunkpirate66 wrote: August 12, 2017 2:11 pm Its 1pm. Unless things really get crazy outside the venue and traffic is backed up onto the highway. They might let people in then but it will still be after 12. I'm honestly okay with it. I remember when Jimmy did 4 shows in one week at GW. That was epic. Then it was two shows around Labor Day every year. Epic. Then we started getting Fenway shows, Monday-Wednesday at GW shows (that was the worst), and Gillette Stadium shows. All fun but it never was the same after that. Last few years it was one show, granted a Saturday, with 11 pm start times. I remember back when the lot would start to fill up around 8 am (or earlier) for multiple shows. That was hedonism at its finest. The last few years is nothing more then a fun afternoon. 1pm is what is what but I don't take it for granted and neither should anyone who has been along for the Great Woods ride for as long as I have. Its the Super Bowl of Buffett and as much as 1 pm might s*** we'll miss it in 2 - 3 years when its not happening at all.
wasn't it a few years ago we got in , then had to leave , because gates weren't really open yet?
drunkpirate66
Here We Are

Post by drunkpirate66 »

TommyBahama wrote: August 12, 2017 3:07 pm
drunkpirate66 wrote: August 12, 2017 2:11 pm Its 1pm. Unless things really get crazy outside the venue and traffic is backed up onto the highway. They might let people in then but it will still be after 12. I'm honestly okay with it. I remember when Jimmy did 4 shows in one week at GW. That was epic. Then it was two shows around Labor Day every year. Epic. Then we started getting Fenway shows, Monday-Wednesday at GW shows (that was the worst), and Gillette Stadium shows. All fun but it never was the same after that. Last few years it was one show, granted a Saturday, with 11 pm start times. I remember back when the lot would start to fill up around 8 am (or earlier) for multiple shows. That was hedonism at its finest. The last few years is nothing more then a fun afternoon. 1pm is what is what but I don't take it for granted and neither should anyone who has been along for the Great Woods ride for as long as I have. Its the Super Bowl of Buffett and as much as 1 pm might s*** we'll miss it in 2 - 3 years when its not happening at all.
wasn't it a few years ago we got in , then had to leave , because gates weren't really open yet?
:lol:

Then there was that first year the lots opened at 11 and there was huge line of cars out on route 140 around 9 am. The cops showed up to get us to move and the Buffett bus came by and there were like a dozen girls flashing and screaming as it went by. One of cops just smiled and said "f*ck it" and walked back to his car.
lime rickie
God's Own Drunk
Favorite Buffett Song: Bama Breeze
Number of Concerts: 11
Favorite Boat Drink: lime rickey

Post by lime rickie »

drunkpirate66 wrote: August 12, 2017 2:11 pm ... I don't take it for granted and neither should anyone who has been along for the Great Woods ride for as long as I have. Its the Super Bowl of Buffett and as much as 1 pm might s*** we'll miss it in 2 - 3 years when its not happening at all.
Sad but true.
You only have two options - havin' fun or freakin' out...

lime rickie
God's Own Drunk
Favorite Buffett Song: Bama Breeze
Number of Concerts: 11
Favorite Boat Drink: lime rickey

Post by lime rickie »

BottleofRum wrote: August 11, 2017 6:32 pm That's because you're usually done one the tip hits it... :lol:
Oh dear, that escalated quickly. :o :lol: :P
You only have two options - havin' fun or freakin' out...

drunkpirate66
Here We Are

Post by drunkpirate66 »

lime rickie wrote: August 12, 2017 6:54 pm
BottleofRum wrote: August 11, 2017 6:32 pm That's because you're usually done one the tip hits it... :lol:
I don't even know what we are talking about anymore? Icebergs?
tailgaitingph
Favorite Buffett Song: Manana or CILCIA
Number of Concerts: 0
Favorite Boat Drink: Yes please

Post by tailgaitingph »

lime rickie wrote: August 12, 2017 6:54 pm
Umm yeah - well, that's what she said
:o :lol:
You're only as young as you are right now. Make the best of it!

~/)~/)~/) RIP Bubba ~/)~/)~/)
tailgaitingph
Favorite Buffett Song: Manana or CILCIA
Number of Concerts: 0
Favorite Boat Drink: Yes please

Post by tailgaitingph »

drunkpirate66 wrote: I don't even know what we are talking about anymore? Icebergs?
<~~~squirrel~~~>
You're only as young as you are right now. Make the best of it!

~/)~/)~/) RIP Bubba ~/)~/)~/)
urlcenter
Behind Door #3
Number of Concerts: 6

Post by urlcenter »

Information posted on the Greatwoods venue page has the following times posted for Jimmy's show on 8/19:

Lots: 1:00pm
Gates: 7:00pm
Jimmy Buffett: 8:10pm

While the parking lot time is one thing, I am fairly certain it is next to impossible to get everyone inside the venue in 70 minutes! I am speaking an attendee of six Jimmy Buffett shows at this venue and not opening the gates until 7pm is going to cause some frustration
Fineas
I have found me a home
Favorite Buffett Song: Pirate
Number of Concerts: 40

Post by Fineas »

urlcenter wrote: August 13, 2017 1:01 pm Information posted on the Greatwoods venue page has the following times posted for Jimmy's show on 8/19:

While the parking lot time is one thing, I am fairly certain it is next to impossible to get everyone inside the venue in 70 minutes! I am speaking an attendee of six Jimmy Buffett shows at this venue and not opening the gates until 7pm is going to cause some frustration
The cops were very good last year with herding everyone out of the parking lots and into the venue. While they are taking 2 hours away from our tailgate fun by opening the lots at 1:00 pm, it could be worse. They could open them at 4:00 pm like they do for every other concert.

I do wonder what the rationale is for moving the open time back 2 hours.
urlcenter
Behind Door #3

Post by urlcenter »

Fineas wrote: August 13, 2017 1:31 pm
urlcenter wrote: August 13, 2017 1:01 pm Information posted on the Greatwoods venue page has the following times posted for Jimmy's show on 8/19:

The cops were very good last year with herding everyone out of the parking lots and into the venue. While they are taking 2 hours away from our tailgate fun by opening the lots at 1:00 pm, it could be worse. They could open them at 4:00 pm like they do for every other concert.

I believe the change in parking lot times might have been a compromise that was reached between the venue, Buffett's management, and the Town of Mansfield. Most of the shows this year at Greatwoods have had parking lots times of 3:30 or later even on Saturdays.

My comment about the venue gate time being at 7pm is due my memories of those gates opening between 6 and 6:30 pm. The venue gate opening times have caused some issues with other shows this year due to how long people have waited in line at certain shows. In particular the Jack Johnson show on June 9th had people waiting to enter the venue for close to two hours. Again I am fairly certain based on past experience with events at Greatwoods that not opening the gates until 7pm might be a bit too late
TommyBahama

Post by TommyBahama »

urlcenter wrote: August 13, 2017 1:49 pm

I believe the change in parking lot times might have been a compromise that was reached between the venue, Buffett's management, and the Town of Mansfield. Most of the shows this year at Greatwoods have had parking lots times of 3:30 or later even on Saturdays.

My comment about the venue gate time being at 7pm is due my memories of those gates opening between 6 and 6:30 pm. The venue gate opening times have caused some issues with other shows this year due to how long people have waited in line at certain shows. In particular the Jack Johnson show on June 9th had people waiting to enter the venue for close to two hours. Again I am fairly certain based on past experience with events at Greatwoods that not opening the gates until 7pm might be a bit too late
New security company. I don't think Buffett has a say in what time gates open. It's probably a couple of factors , overtime cost for police , emt's and probably any town and state employee. The other could be the problem they are having at a lot of venues as of late with underage drinking and people that had to have medical attention because of over doing it ( Not all are trained professionals like most PH's). It's been a huge issue at Xfinity in Hartford this year. Those are a couple of my guesses. I'd have to ask a friend who works for CSC.
urlcenter
Behind Door #3

Post by urlcenter »

TommyBahama wrote: August 13, 2017 4:07 pm
urlcenter wrote: August 13, 2017 1:49 pm

New security company. I don't think Buffett has a say in what time gates open. It's probably a couple of factors , overtime cost for police , emt's and probably any town and state employee. The other could be the problem they are having at a lot of venues as of late with underage drinking and people that had to have medical attention because of over doing it ( Not all are trained professionals like most PH's). It's been a huge issue at Xfinity in Hartford this year. Those are a couple of my guesses. I'd have to ask a friend who works for CSC.
I think that Jimmy and or his management do have or try to have say in the parking lot times originally the lot time for Greatwoods this year was posted as being 3:30 so something changed along the way. Did Jimmy have a hand in the change we will never know but that won't stop anybody's fun next Saturday.

As for Xfinity Theatre in Hartford (formally The Meadows they had a huge underage drinking problem at show back in July with an MCI where 90-100 concert goers were transported to area hospitals due to severe intoxication with at least one person ending up in a coma. Greatwoods as seen a couple of these kind of events in the last few years too
BottleofRum
Favorite Buffett Song: He Went to Paris: It's My Job
Favorite Boat Drink: Barbancourt Rhum

Post by BottleofRum »

Jimmy Buffett's contract stipulates time for tailgating at some venues at the very least. This article from Bangor, Maine last year mentions this : Organizers say it is actually in Jimmy Buffett's contract that they allow so much time for tailgating before the show.
http://www.wcsh6.com/news/local/thousan ... /301842750

An later article when the Bangor concert season was over talked about Jimmy Buffett being the most attended concert in Bangor ever and the only concert with zero arrests....despite my best efforts[smilie=cheeky-grin.gif]

But I agree, they are not getting in 19,900 people though the gates in 70 min esp with the new security procedures they now have in place.
- - “If it doesn't work out there will never be any doubt that the pleasure was worth all the pain.”
TommyBahama

Post by TommyBahama »

BottleofRum wrote: August 13, 2017 6:04 pm Jimmy Buffett's contract stipulates time for tailgating at some venues at the very least. This article from Bangor, Maine last year mentions this : Organizers say it is actually in Jimmy Buffett's contract that they allow so much time for tailgating before the show.

An later article when the Bangor concert season was over talked about Jimmy Buffett being the most attended concert in Bangor ever and the only concert with zero arrests....despite my best efforts[smilie=cheeky-grin.gif]

But I agree, they are not getting in 19,900 people though the gates in 70 min esp with the new security procedures they now have in place.
This is a response from a friend who works/runs security for the Xfinity Center in Hartford and other venues. I work with him at The Warner Theater when we bring in National acts.....They've cut lot times due to traffic and tailgating. As far as when the house opens , it's the same like the Warner. They have a set time. If either the house staff or the tour is not ready by set time , then it's delayed.
TommyBahama

Post by TommyBahama »

BottleofRum wrote: August 13, 2017 6:04 pm Jimmy Buffett's contract stipulates time for tailgating at some venues at the very least. This article from Bangor, Maine last year mentions this : Organizers say it is actually in Jimmy Buffett's contract that they allow so much time for tailgating before the show.

Found this , note the opening times to the actual venue

Next Event: Saturday August 12 2017- Lady Antebellum
Event Times: All Times Subject to Change
Lots: 4:00pm
Gates:4:30pm
Brett Young: 7:30pm
Kelsea Ballerini: 8:05pm
Lady Antebellum: 9:15pm

Upcoming Event: Saturday August 19 2017- Jimmy Buffett
Event Times: All Times Subject to Change
Gates: 7:00pm......................I really wonder if this is a typo!!